• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So apparently... it wasn't meant for me to quit Pokemon

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Link to original post: [drupal=1859]So apparently... it wasn't meant for me to quit Pokemon[/drupal]

Well, this story goes a bit like this:

I've been playing Pokemon competitively from the age of 13 (yeah, I'm sure a few of you know me)and it wasn't until a few months ago that I started becoming what I always mocked: A troll on Shoddybattle (which is basically a sim for competitive Pokemon for those who don't know). After this long and, well easy move to Indianapolis, I asked myself the question, "why am I still playing this game? I'm never serious anymore and all I do is troll every server, now". The answer remained a mystery to me; however, I came to the conclusion that I should just quit that game for SSB (yeah, I did it for you guys).

Now onto the bulk of this little omen. After getting myself banned from every active server on Shoddy, I decided that it was time for me to play a little Smash and start doing some online friendlies again as opposed to the ******** (and flashy) CPUs. No, really, I just picked up Yoshi as my 4th and Peach as my 5th, gained some knowledge through lurking and got just a bit of practice (due to the amount of time I had on my hands, I managed to get the hang of Dragonic Reverse a bit... but that's beside the point). Suddenly, the error message pops up and I deduced (yeah, I tried to sound as if I had a brain of some type... shut up) that my disc was just dirty. After several attempts of trying to get my Brawl disc to work, I just accepted that fact that my Wii screwed over my Brawl disc... or vice versa. Anyway, I just moved on to another game, thinking that I would be able to buy a new disc within the next month and that game decided to crap out on me, too. After numerous attempts, I popped in Melee and it worked. I happily trounced around in my new room, happy that I could at least get some type of SSB in. However, happiness doesn't last for too long, apparently :/.

After a few hours of practicing on Melee, I finally learned how to apply wavedashing... without a human player to practice on. From there, I ended up doing a 99 stock vs a LV9 DK with Yoshi. It was a regular cycle: Get DK close to the edge, DSmash him off the stage and meteor him with FAir. Well, wanna know what FFing a lot of FAirs on the right side of the stage will do to your controller? That's right, it made my controller's analog stick stay to the right on occasion (which messed up my dash dancing pretty horridly >.>). So now, I have a busted controller, one working game and Wii that needs to be fixed, what can go wrong? Losing my Halo 3 disc, obviously. Yeah, I had another game system; the campaign on Halo 3 (and Halo CE, amazingly) can get boring after you beat it on Legendary, find all of the skulls and get all achivements possible offline.

I start getting desprate to buy another Brawl disc (even though I've had a good number of suggestions to get it repaired) and I remembered that a week prior to my move, I traded in my Gamecube and my second Xbox 360 controller at Gamestop. Knowing that, I went to Gamestop and traded in my SSBM and my Wii nunchuck, only to have a whopping $14.00 on my Gamestop card. At this moment, I was shattered, thinking that I was never going to get Brawl back until I did something... well, something that I was curious about (I'm not very proud of it, either). I went back on Smogon to reply to steeler's post about Ivy in the Brawl discussion thread. I became... well, attracted to the Pokemon related forums and started posting there. That night, as I was getting ready to take a shower, I found my Halo 3 just sitting on the top shelf of my closet.

An omen or not, I popped the disc in my 360 and hoped for the best- to my surprise, it worked flawlessly. I kept telling myself to stop playing Pokemon and after finshing up everything I had to do with the game, I did. No more bull****, no more retardedly coencidental occourances, my life remained the same.

Long story short: Quitting Pokemon breaks anything Nintendo related.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
:laugh:

That's a pretty good story, although you wasted who knows how much money on buying new Brawl discs when you could of just sent it to be repaired for free.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
How does one play Pokemon competitively and be good at it? <----serious question.
Being good at Pokemon? Well, it's really not difficult at all if you're not an "original" thinker. The point of the competitive game is to make a team that expresses synergy, but can also take on the top threats of the tier that the said team is for. In battles, prediction and adaptation are the key factors to being good.

:laugh:

That's a pretty good story, although you wasted who knows how much money on buying new Brawl discs when you could of just sent it to be repaired for free.
I had most of the information to have my Wii repaired because of the older Wii (...s?) not being able to load up Brawl filled out. I deleted the email and now, I can't get another form to send to Nintendo :/. Sucks, huh?

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Being good at Pokemon? Well, it's really not difficult at all if you're not an "original" thinker. The point of the competitive game is to make a team that expresses synergy, but can also take on the top threats of the tier that the said team is for. In battles, prediction and adaptation are the key factors to being good.
A synergetic Pokemon team? Like an RPG Party?

Sweet. Chansey is a white mage.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I tried competitive pokeman playing til ev training nearly made me stroke just to distract myself from the amazing boredom. Oh and single player sucks.

Bellyzard ftw

Katapultar

Smash Lord
Brawl is pokemon. For Brawl is like a massive newspaper that advertises different game series. You see information that you do not know about related to the game series, get a liking to that awesome character in Brawl, and then say to yourself "I want to play that game!". and so you do.

Hey, it works. It how I started to like Metal Gear Solid (Before, I did not know what Metal Gear Solid was. I saw Solid Snake and thought, What!) Brawl gets you into pokemon, and pokemon gets you into Brawl.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
My friend plays Pokemon competetivly, he's 17. Alwats going on about how Garchomp is getting banned or something about a Lvl1 Rattata pwning everyone, F.E.A.R?. Ubers.
It's quite amusing watching him get so worked up :D

AtmaIllumina

Smash Apprentice
Play Pokemon. Just play it. I dare you.
I quit Pokemon ages ago. Like 2 months after Platinum was released. Now look at me. I have a modded wii (I got it right after I quit) that is capable of playing modded wii/gc games. I also got an M3 with the adapters for gba games. I also got myself a psp and modded it myself. In short, I'd say quitting pokemon saved me a fortune!

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
And Blissey is borderline the best pokemon in the game.
THIS AIN'T GOLD AND SILVER NO MORE.

Nah but seriously, there are soo many mixed and physical attackers that Blissey aint' what she use to be.

If you'd like to play Hearts, I could teach you. I've got a lesson plan that gets people into competitive pokemon fairly easily.

Top Bottom