• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SNY 1. Birmingham, UK. August 10th-12th 2010. *Registration CLOSED* Hype! 111 People

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kone

Smash Master

*Smash Needs You 1*

Website is up - http://nintendoid.co.uk/smashbros/

Welcome all to the UK's first large european tournament. We are aiming to run one of the largest european tournaments to date. We are offering an excellent venue, expected large turnout and classy tournament experience.

The British have always travelled well to European tournaments so we are hoping that we get a large European turnout to this tournament :chuckle:

Tournament Staff & Contact Details
Kone, ceddon@hotmail.com.
AMCD
Fuzzyness iamcomputermad@hotmail.com
Jo3
Tamoo
Aiko
Bullet Bill

Others to be confirmed.

Venue
Bilberry Hill Centre,
Rose Hill,
Lickey,
Birmingham,
West Midlands,
United Kingdom,
B45 8RT.

The venue is large. It has; 2 x kitchens, 2 x dinning rooms, 3 x lounges, 1 x games room (with three pool tables), ample toilets, ample showers, 64 beds and a large gym hall.

Photographs of venue can be found at;
http://www.birminghamfed.co.uk/Bilberry-Hill-Centre/Gallery-Bilberry-Hill-Centre.html

Kitchen information;

My partner Kate and sister Jessy will be running the Kitchen. There will be a breakfast and Evening meal put on during the duration of the tournament. Basic supplies such as tea, coffee, milk, pop etc will be provided. People are allowed to use the kitchen for their own cooking and storage of food. However, it will be of limits when the kitchen is being used by Kate/Jessy to prepare breakfast & evening meal.

Entry Fees
Venue fee + a bed= £22
Venue without a bed= £12
Singles= £5
Doubles= £10 per team.
International Crews= Free
2 x meals a day for both tournament days= £1

Schedule
August 10th-International Crews
August 11th-Doubles & Singles Pools
August 12th- Singles Bracket

Housing
*Housing will be provided at my home prior to and after the tournament IF NEEDED. I would prefer if people did not and you aim to get to the venue on the Tuesday and leave on the Thursday. These days have been selected as they are the cheap ryanair flight days. If your flights do not work that way you can be housed by me but please try not stay more than two nights either side of the tournament days. My home is located on the travel map found later in the thread.

The google map also shows where housing is provided by other UK smashers. This way you can see where else you could be housed if flying in at unusual times in airports that aren't near my home or the venue.

*If you fly into an airport such as; manchester, liverpool, doncaster, bristol and the london airports and need housing before/after the tournament near these airports let me know.

*Housing is provided at the venue August 12th and August 13th. There are 64 beds available at a greater venue cost. For those that can't afford it or are to late to guarantee a bed (via registration) you will be housed either; in the venue lounges, a marquee outside or at my home.

Registration
You will be registered when you purchase your payment on the website, but wait for us to update the player list before panicking.

The website should be up with all the payment options + info

it's pretty straight forward but if you have any questions ask me

I'll keep updating the player list too on the website when people book

You should be able to make the payments with most cards, or by using a paypal account.

Payments go directly to my paypal account, the money will be used to pay for the venue costs and sleeping arrangements beforehand, which will happen by me giving the money to Kone via instant bank transfer or paypal. There are only 64 beds so I guess it's kinda first come first serve. The other payment options allow you to use the floor space for sleeping at the venue.

You also have the choice of food with both options which is an extra £1

If you have any refund requests ask me, but please just think in general before purchasing ~_~

Since there is a limitation of payment button features on paypal as soon as 64 beds are paid for, I will take off the bed payment features from the website and only the other option will be available. Please consider that it would be nicer for the people who travel further to have a bed to sleep in

According to Kone these are the prices:

Venue + Bed + Food = £23
Venue + Bed = £22
Venue + Floor Space + Food = £13
Venue + Floor Space = £12

http://nintendoid.co.uk/smashbros/

Travel
Use this edited google map (will be updated with more and more information);
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=102927611470998531920.00047f7a056f9f2b4bf0b

It shows where the venue is, where my house is, airport locations, ferry locations and train locations. Click on the pins and it will give you travel information. Use google & public transport option to work out how to get from birmingham central to venue/my house.

If you want specific help finding cheap tickets or travel options etc please specify in the thread or better yet pm me.
Useful websites;
By air;
*www.ryanair.com
*www.easyjet.com

By coach
*www.nationalexpress.com
*www.megabus.com

By train
*www.thetrainline.com

By Ferry
www.poferries.com

By car
www.viamichelin.com

Travel between airports and london central;
www.stanstedexpress.com
www.easybus.co.uk

London travel website;
www.tfl.gov.uk

Local Amenities

*Pub beside the venue. Serves alcohol and food.
*Supermarket closeby.
*Fish and chips shop nearby.
*Chinese restaurant nearby.
*Newsagents nearby.
*I think there was a pizza takeaway (will check this).

They are all within a five minute walk and you can't get lost.

Tournament Rules
Rules for Singles:

Pools+Double Elimination, best of 3. Best of 5 from quarter finals, best of 7 for winner’s finals.

4 Stock, 8 minutes Stocktime

If the timer runs out the player with the most stock left wins. In case of a stock tie the player with the lowest percentage wins (so the Sudden Death does not count in this case). In case of a percentage tie the Sudden Death is played.
Items are off.

Pools rules: because there if a lot of misunderstanding with poules i wanna give some clear ground rules: of for some reason 2 players seem to have ended up in a tie we will review who wins in this order:
1. number of sets won, if this is a tie we will go to the second factor
2. total matches won, if this is also a tie we will go to the last factor
3. the winner of the set that the tied players played against eachother.
4. In case of a 3-way tie and the first 3 factors are all equal, there will be a rematch for those 3 players

At the start of each set both players will have the chance to ban one level for the entire set.

LEVEL RULES

Stagestriking will be used

How does stagestriking work:

You play 1 game of rock/paper/scissors with your opponent. The winner can strike a stage from the 5 random. Then the loser strikes 2 stages followed by the winner striking 1 more stage. One stage from the random stages will remain, and this stage will be played for the first match.

Starter

Battlefield
Dream Land 64
Final Destination
Yoshi Story
Pokémon Stadium

Counterpicks

Fountain of Dreams (not in teams)

stage bans: basically every other level
the other levels are allowed if opponent AGREES to play it

Daves Stupid Rule (DSR) is used.
Advanced Slop Picks (ASP) is used

Stalling tactics such as Peach bombering or rising pound are banned unless when used for recovery.

Rules for teams:
Team attack is on. Due to lag issues Fountain of Dreams will be replaced by Yoshi’s story in the random stages.
All other rules are the same as 1 vs 1.

I will continue to update this thread with more information. Please let me know if you are interested. We want this to be HUGE! Talk to me on msn if you want more information and I am happy to look into cheap travel for you if you are having difficulties.

Just remember that ryanair is currently advertising cheap sale tickets in March-April. Expect that it'll be a few \months until this happens for the summer months. So, if you can't find cheap tickets at the moment they may come available.

Interested List

Confirmed + Registered
--------------------

Kone Floor Space/home
Fuzzyness Floor Space
Professor Pro
Jolteon
Tamoo Floor Space
J03
X1-12
Yeniths
Crabman
Fortune Cookie
Blinky Floor Space
The Lust
L-J
JOE FURY
Bullet Bill
Clockmire
ShiftingShadows
gm jack
Mitsuki
Y42? Floor Space
Takoyaki Floor Space
JJFox Floor Space
JJLinyard Floor Space
Alpha Dash
Swizzy
Willz
Blad Floor Space
Dacacia Floor Space
Retroking Floor Space
j3ly Floor Space
Deathgazer Floor Space
Calzum
Bristols_link64
Beast
Wiggum
Phi
Monty
Bishkin
J2K
Unreal
DA
Leliel Floor Space
Zunari
Jalued
Navi Floor Space
Marni Floor Space
PMS Floor Space
King NDJ Floor Space
ddiz Floor Space
The Filth Floor Space
MrOtter Floor Space
Coey Floor Space Paying on the day
Synapse Floor Space
Joanna Dark
Porc
Slhoka
Qlex (owes me £23)
X-17
Wii Lee
Baxon
Makenshi
bGin (owes me £10 for a bed)
Mahie Floor Space
Ashura Floor Space
Jonas
Navn
stelzig No Food UNLESS he brings £1 XD
Abild
Oni Nick
Thias
Eagle
Oskar
D1ll1ng
CocoTFG
Armada
Aniolas
Smasher89
Rocky
C Floor Space
IVP Floor Space
ajp_anton Floor Space
Smakis Floor Space
Neutroni
NamiNami
Laatikko
Pablo
Vincent (Owes me £10 for a bed)
OverLord Floor Space
Omega Floor Space
Alain Floor Space
Dax
Melt Floor Space
Phex
Usleon
Yomi
Tero
Smooth Criminal Floor Space
Utto
Exalador
Marc
Shino
Ace
Thomas
Ryuker
Jimmy Floor Space
MasterSer Floor Space
Mind Trick Floor Space
Faab Floor Space
Zgetto Floor Space
Ivootjes Floor Space
UchihaJP Floor Space Owes me £13

NO BEDS LEFT
Floor Space = 40 People so far

I promise there's a lot of floor space ^_^

Total - 111

United Kingdom – 53
Denmark – 10
Holland - 14
France – 11
Sweden – 8
Finland – 3
Italy - 7
Germany - 4
Hong Kong - 1

Interest list
---------------------

UK

grayfox
Cpt.zeppo
AmcD
K-Man (only black peach player in Europe)
Aiko
Khang
SmashinJew
MrOtter
Hao
Frozenwave
concaib
craiigg
Pickled No0b
imoneofthem (fuzz's brother)

Denmark

MINI

Sweden

Pepito
Yuna
Fushidara

Holland

Quic
Shino
Rian
yuki

France

Baxon
Ashura
Cyr
Lal Tsuna
Mrik
Tekk
Feca-Link
Panda Soldier
Shloub

Italy

Aldwyn

Finland

Samochan
Saska
RT
mayhem

Austria

Norm/Sagl

Germany

Staco
Wschl

Portugal

King Funk

Spain

Tavi
Strawhat
Over
K-12
Iced
Urolok
Nemo

US

Tope
Cyrain
Cash Mooney

Unknown

Requiem

If you click on the following link it will take you to a google map showing tournament turnout i.e. where people are from. YOU CAN EDIT THIS MAP YOURSELF. PLEASE EDIT YOURSELF IN. COULD EVERYONE USE THE SAME COLURED PIN AS MYSELF. EDIT YOUR NAME IN AND ANY OTHER INFORMATION ABOUT YOURSELF. IT MAYBE USEFUL IF YOU PUT YOUR TRAVEL DETAILS IN THERE ASWELL.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&ie=UTF8&cd=2&geocode=FWNwIAMdcXvg_w&split=0&hq=&hnear=Carol+Crescent,+Halesowen,+West+Midlands+B63,+United+Kingdom&msa=0&msid=102927611470998531920.00047f9279dc620e1d900&ll=52.457526,-2.061825&spn=0.007531,0.025663&z=15

jjlinyard

Smash Ace
kone for president.
this event is looking too good man, just waiting for you registration link and its a done deal.

AmcD

Smash Ace
Put me down aswell for being interested.
Also I can help if needed, I ran both Liverpool tournaments alongside Ant.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Very very interested, sounds awesome.

I'll have the poster re-done, let me know if you need any staffing support. :)

Quic

Smash Journeyman
accessible out of country tournament? yes please ^^ very interested in both events +bed.
I'm from the netherlands.

J03

Smash Master
Quic, within the next few days this tourney will be advertised fully to the rest of europe. so look out for this tourney as its going to be HUGE

Stage selection is likely to be along to lines of.

Stage striking. No bans.

neutral stages:

FoD
FD
YS
PS
DL64

counterpicks:

DK64
BF
Mute

J03

Smash Master
haha any jiggs player would want brinstar on xD, but remember the tournament rules/stage selection are not finalised as they will be decided in the upcoming week.

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
Leicester crew (me, Brado, Calzum, Marni) should be confirmed for this!

Also, that venue looks amazing. Can't wait =D

I will hopefully be able to bring 2 tvs and 2 gamecubes. Get hype!

I also love this is like 1 hour drive away from me as well. If anyone needs pre-tourney and after the tourney housing I could possibly help with that. =]

Tamoo

Smash Master
Hehe i prefer mute to brinstar any day lol, mute city i've always felt rediculous on, like i can't lose but hey, i guess i'm not one to complain then :)

I never cp brinstar anymore, learnt that playing against VA lol

Kone: You sure do know what you're doing with google maps eh, good stuff there man

Slhoka

Smash Lord
I'm definitely interested (with an option on a bed :p).
This looks really promising.

I translated the post and posted it on the French boards, I'll keep you updated about how big the interest grows there ;)

As for the rules, Mute City as nothing to do here, otherwise it's really close from the ruleset I use at my tournaments, I really like it =D

J03

Smash Master
were currently in debate about some of the counterpick stages.

i think one or two stages like mute/brinstar/corneria can be useful additions. im also in the belief that peach and jiggs dont have enough aggressive counterpicks. playing on DL64/DK64 shouldnt be their only viable counterpicks. also playing on mute/brinstar allows them to play more aggressive, so hopefully less camping haha.

PS im a fox main. argueing for mute is against every bone in my body xD i honestly think its useful though

if you have some insight then feel free to post as it may help.

please do not spam though.

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
Haha true. I'll see about housing you nearer the date if I'm not housing anyone at that time TC!

J03

Smash Master
sholka: let people know just how cheap it is to take a car and drive here via a ferry.

if you can get a car full it works out just stupidly cheap!

Samochan

Smash Master
I'm interested :3

But really, pound 4 stagelist all the way son. PS has nothing on battlefield as a neutral stage, it's horrible actually. All the transformation and stupid ****. As soon as I let ps go to the cp's I noticed this. >_>

DL64
FD
YS
BF
FoD

CP:
DK64
Brin
RR
PS

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
Kone does the 80 entrant limit still stand?

If not how many people do you reckon the venue can hold?

Tero.

Smash Champion
Just stick with the basic 7 most neutral stages: FD, BF, YS, PS, DL, FoD, KJ.
If you really want to add any more stages add RC, BS, MC and Corneria, not only one of them.

Add Mute City if you feel like Jigglypuff and Peach aren't dominating enough nowadays.

Anyway I'm really glad UK is finally stepping it up and tbqh this is looking MAD CUTE right now.

J03

Smash Master
the 80 man limit WILL 100% be removed, its more important to fill the 80 we have anyway =P.

atm Ed is looking into getting a Marquee (giant tent) with heating and carpets.

as for PS being on the neutrals list. for the mean time the neutral list is more then adequate and we want to concentrate on refining the counterpicks. please post your thoughts.

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
****ing Awesome.

Tamoo I don't see many Americans coming as this is so near to Apex. I wouldn't like to play Smash 3 days straight then take a 10-20 hour plane flight to England to play another 3 days of smash. But hey that's just me I guess.

J03

Smash Master
ive just done a little research and it seems almost all of europe can get here for under £100. i dont know how each countries currency or exchange rate so just put it into an online converter ^_^

EDIT: willz, youd be very surprised haha, just talked to amsah and hes interested in doing just that xD

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
That's good then. I hope the best in Holland, Sweden, Spain, France etc come even if they go Apex. But like I said I still don't see many Amercians travelling to this. =[

Samochan

Smash Master
**** the venue seems nice, like a motell O.o

And with the beds, I wouldn't need to drag my stuff with me and still sleep comfortably, unlike at smack when I was hella cold when I couldn't get blanket or pillow with me due to ryanair restrictions. :<

I assume sheets, blankets and pillows come with the bargain? :p

Calzum!

LC | Team Heir
Brinstar and Mute>>>>>>>Corneria
Fox ***** enough without him having a stage he can obliterate any and all on ~_~
I was hella cold when I couldn't get blanket or pillow with me due to ryanair restrictions. :<
Night in the UK during summer isn't normally hella cold temp you could get by with just your clothes on

Samochan

Smash Master
Brinstar and Mute>>>>>>>Corneria
Fox ***** enough without him having a stage he can obliterate any and all on ~_~

Night in the UK during summer isn't normally hella cold temp you could get by with just your clothes on
It was really warm in the day at smack too, like early summer in finland, but I just failed to get a good spot and the cold seeped in. It was very uncomfortable and I should've just gone to girls toilet to sleep, it was very warm there and hardly anyone would go to girls toilet at that time of the night. =D

But basically I had my clothes on and very thin sheet, but it was hardly enough and I couldn't get a wink of sleep. ._. I missed my sleeping bag a lot then and swore to never go out without one. Laatikko got to drag his huge bag with him that still abided restrictions, so I plan to do the same next time I use ryanair. =D

On another note, no flights from tampere to london on these days, bugger. Guess I have to go day early and leave in the morning of 13th, but I don't mind as long as someone in london is willing to house me and perhaps even, le gasp, provide a car transportation. I'm hoping for guidance the most tho so I don't get lost. :p

Fuuuuzzyyyy... :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom