• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snowstorm - In-Depth Video About IC Grabs

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
My goal with this video is to help anyone who wish to become better with the IC. Their grabs are quite confusing for new people but its very important to know all the different options you have when you finally land your grab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHfGqpHBZI4

I'll try to answer everything I can in this thread.

Enjoy!

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Very helpful, thanks. I only played Brawl briefly, and it was looking grim to me, but this definitely gives me hope. A lot of hope. Looks like we're in business ;)

I.T.P

Smash Ace
as far as I've learned from void, in order to keep the alternating throws going, you need to use a diffrent walk speed depending on the percentage, each time you need to walk a bit faster in order to catch in time.

Fluke

Smash Journeyman
Very nice. I knew my second main had to be the ice climbers when I'm bored with Falco. (did the same in melee)

St. Viers

Smash Champion
wicked cool! I'll have to try this next time I get my hands on brawl (I'm an epic bum--I don't have it but I've played it every day since it came out XD)

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Nothing new for me but a great way to introduce noobs to the IC. Of course, I'd recommend actually showing some approach options in order to GET the grab in.

GREAT video though.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Good stuff. If only it wasn't so freakin' hard to get a grab in the first place.

i rise

Smash Apprentice
camp to get the grab. after a lot of play with my main (dedede) i've learned that camping is pretty much where it's at in brawl. camp and projectile spam to complicate their approach. then you predict their attack and punish them with a grab. characters with no projectiles (marth) get owned so bad by camping.

on topic, i love this video. i was an IC player in melee and was hoping to pick them back up in brawl as a secondary or at least one of my top 5. thanks for the video it helped a ton.

Solid Cake

Smash Cadet
Great video. I hated to play and play against the Icys in Melee but now i am playing them in Brawl.
Their fun and i don't understand why some people say they are "bottom tier".

Thanks for the vid, I'm sure I'll learn a lot from it.

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
i dont main IC's, or anyone for that matter, but i always pick them for a fast game(theyre good, weaker but still good) anyways my friend was ike and grabbed him and i pressed a to rack up damge and then nana grabbed him did the same and then pop grabbed him idk it was weird they did it like 5 times... but it was like grab and as i;m about to hit him he escapes but then he got grabbed again?

any idea?

btw they can still be desynched right

nvm
i posted without watching the vid lol

but it would still be nice to know HOW you do it

Rikana

Smash Champion
The video was awesome. You make me want to main Ice Climbers because of that.

Ark22

Smash Apprentice
Wow, thank you so much for this video. I have been looking all over for how to do chain throws and other cool tricks with the Ice Climbers, and your video explained it all.

dukelion

Smash Rookie
when chain grabbing, does nana need to be desynched ?

i notice when you hit Z, or A while shielding , they both grab, but the majority of the time i grab with popo first,

im still trying to just get the basics down for chain grabbing in general

desynching too >_<

dukelion

Smash Rookie
ok, so i have been working throws for the past half hour after watching snowstorm, which btw is a great vid, ty

it seems that chain downthrowing is good till the late 30 %'s, but the question i have , popo seems to do the majority of the downthrowing, but when i get into the upper percentiles, i can chain throw to the sides, left, or right, and nana seems to grab more often because there is enough air time for her to run over.

is this generally is how it is done?

and usually when i do any grab i land a few punches, but C stick smashes, how many can you do generally, if possibly, at low percent w/o breaking the chain ?

thanks for the help

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
ok, so i have been working throws for the past half hour after watching snowstorm, which btw is a great vid, ty

it seems that chain downthrowing is good till the late 30 %'s, but the question i have , popo seems to do the majority of the downthrowing, but when i get into the upper percentiles, i can chain throw to the sides, left, or right, and nana seems to grab more often because there is enough air time for her to run over.

is this generally is how it is done?

and usually when i do any grab i land a few punches, but C stick smashes, how many can you do generally, if possibly, at low percent w/o breaking the chain ?

thanks for the help
The dthrow chain can be done with Popo only, if you are grabbing with Nana you are doing alternating throws which is different. The reason that you sometime grab with nana is that if you input the next grab too early popo is still lagging from the throw but Nana isn't so she grabs.

The C-stick smashing doesnt break the grab even at 0% but you should generally do it only at around 50%+ because they will mash out if you do it earlier and it's not worth the risk of losing your grab for a couple of percentage (That you can easily rack up because the chains are easy at low percentage anyway).

Binx

Smash Master
I liked the video a lot, expect the alternating grabs to be banned and IMO you can't really shield grab in this game, in melee there were times where well spaced aerials could be punished, however in brawl dash spacing is so much harder, you cant dash away to dodge an aerial and run back in to grab, sure there is always camping but characters with better projectiles will always beat you if you play like that, so far against aerials Marth's in particular you can really only powershield the second one and run in or time a roll, and even then if he is careful I dont think either of those work.

I dunno, maybe I should just play ICs even though I don't think they are very good simply for the fact that I love the little guys, guess its time to become technical at Smash so I can chain throw everyone lols.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I think the alternating grab will be allowed because 1) wobbling was eventually allowed, and 2) it's much harder to do then wobbling was, especially at higher %.

Excellent video, thanks for sharing it!

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
I've been doing this all night. Here's a few things I noticed:

1.) Don't rush it. Wait a split second later than normal to make sure none of your IC's are still lagging from a previous animation.

2.) Walk. Don't dash grab. Dash grab puts Nana away from Popo and then she does whatever.

I have the hardest time doing the turn-around grab. I think this will be the most important to learn if you're close to the ledge during a grab.

JusDBerube

Smash Cadet
One thing I've been able to do that I haven't seen in the video is a reverse spike off the ledge. You can back throw with Popo and then spike with Nana. This is good for a meteor smash if near the ledge but facing the wrong way. Sorry if this has been discussed already.

Shinku

Smash Champion

1.) Don't rush it. Wait a split second later than normal to make sure none of your IC's are still lagging from a previous animation.

2.) Walk. Don't dash grab. Dash grab puts Nana away from Popo and then she does whatever.

I have the hardest time doing the turn-around grab. I think this will be the most important to learn if you're close to the ledge during a grab.
wow, this actually helped me, now if i can just be consistent with it =\

vipercaleb1

Smash Cadet

Thanks this helped me!! Whenever i'm close to the edge i fthrow and fair spike. Its so funny to see my oponents faces when i spike them:laugh:!! LOL, I'm still a noob though!

COLDshiver

Smash Cadet
thanks for the vid! Awesome tutorial. I've gotten the chain d-throw down, turn around grab, and the nana fair. Only trouble I have though is the f-smash popo and nana's switching grabs. I've can do it twice (pop -> fsmash -> nana -> fsmash) and I can never manage to get popo to grab it again. I've randomly gotten it a few times but I can never get it consistently. Still trying though.

Great Vid!

Top Bottom