• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SNK's Beautiful Ninjutsu Warrior - Mai Shiranui Support Thread (Officially too lewd for Smash)

D

Deleted member

I think it’s possible she might take one of the few remaining slots. Especially if rumors of the next DLC being a 3rd Party female character are to be believed.

She’s arguably SNK’s most iconic character, and KoF IS one of Sakurai’s favorite fighting games. She’d certainly also feel more unique than the likes of Kyo or Terry given that Ryu already covers the Shoto archetype in the game. Mai would offer a lot of contrast.

Also, Smash isn’t averse to sexy female characters, so I think they could get away with keeping her intact with her most iconic form. Especially since she’d be DLC.

I personally feel Mai has the best chances out of any other fighting game IP tbh. She just “feels” like the most appropriate fit for Smash, in a way. If that makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

MattX20

Smash Hero
It certainly helps any arguments for Mai, Morrigan, or any female fighter with noteworthy cleavage or physiques

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
While I'm glad Nintendo has taken the general stance it has for now, not censoring third party titles versus controlling what goes into their own games are quite different. While it's possible that DLC may be allowed to stretch the line a bit further, it doesn't change the target demographic that they have for Smash along with the currently designated ratings. If base game already has censored versions of :ultbayonetta::ultcorrinf::ultzss::ultsnake::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultrosalina:, spirits like Mythra, etc. then I don't see a scenario where Mai gets in with minimal changes if she can manage to get in at all.

Mai is a very iconic character for SNK, but sex appeal is one of the main things she's known for. I would say that changes to her would go much further than the changes made to Bayo, who still manages to feel fairly intact. We're talking about the queen of jiggle physics before DOA came onto the scene after all. Lots of bust and butt bounce, lots of exposed skin and movements that expose even more, etc. I don't see Mai being able to make a clean transition into Smash without compromising her design. Even her FF2 look which I know was brought up earlier, still exposes quite a lot. Less cleavage sure, but everything else is about the same.

I don't mean to sound so negative, as I would like to see her get in and just to clarify, I DO think they can make her work, but only if they're willing to make major changes to her design. Even skirting it as close as they possibly can, it's going to be a lot more glaring than with other cases no matter what.

Last edited:

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
I would love to have Mai in Smash, i am not really into KoF but i love how she uses a fan and she was the only KoF character i had heard of before the copyright leak, i lend my support .

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Gotta say though, if the leak proves true, it's a mighty big miss we didn't get Chun Li in Smash for that would've made for one cool trailer reveal with her and Mai fighting like in SNK vs Capcom. Guess there's still Ryu she can face at least.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Same, Mai is my main in KoF, and I also main Mai Natsume in BlazBlue, so if I get to main Mai, Mai, Mai, and Mai in four different fighting games that would be awesome

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Sari Sari yea, I personally just use imgur for any pics I display here. That way, people can click the broken window link and go straight to the image whenever smashboards is having trouble.

Luckily the main image is working though, so it's not too bad.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
On the bright side, Season 2 got announced. If Capcom and Square Enix can get two reps, SNK can too. There's still hope!

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
It's also important to note we didn't see her anywhere amongst the fighters who were trying to catch the Smash invite.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Maybe Mai got in as a spirit at least? She's way too iconic to be left out

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Maybe Mai got in as a spirit at least? She's way too iconic to be left out
It's also important to note we didn't see her anywhere amongst the fighters who were trying to catch the Smash invite.
Kyo was also missing, so I am 100% sure they'll both be the SNK mii costumes

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Kyo was also missing, so I am 100% sure they'll both be the SNK mii costumes
Kyo was in the trailer. He was the first hand that tried to grab the letter before it switched to Ryo.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Kyo was in the trailer. He was the first hand that tried to grab the letter before it switched to Ryo.
Oh really? Damn, makes it even more confusing why they'd skip Mai then

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Oh really? Damn, makes it even more confusing why they'd skip Mai then
Maybe she already got her invite. If SNK is allowed a second rep like the other third party businesses are, they'll want someone from King of Fighters in there too next.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Maybe she already got her invite. If SNK is allowed a second rep like the other third party businesses are, they'll want someone from King of Fighters in there too next.
oh man I would be down for that

Terry didn't get me excited at all, but I would still be down for Mai

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
So, I kinda left SB a while ago, but returned to give my most requested character, Sephiroth, a revitalized thread.
I also came here due to the SNK talk and finally realizing that Mai's chances were real.
I've been a Mai main for many years. She is my favorite SNK character, and I never would have thought that anyone from SNK would join Smash this early.
Indeed, Terry was the one chosen, and it broke my heart that she wasn't the one. But, I have developed a theory before the Direct. I've heard from leaks before that Terry was the one, but no more info was given other than the fact that he was confirmed.
While Terry may have had the crossover with Fatal Fury in the trailer and website, I believe this has more to do with Terry being directly from the Fatal Fury series. The trailer is 100% King of Fighters, and Terry's stage is a stadium from KoF 2003.
With this in mind, Terry would actually be repping more King of Fighters than Fatal Fury. And KoF's main structural mechanic is a team based system, where each round, or "stock", is dedicated to one of three fighters in a team.
My theory is that Terry's mechanic in Smash is him bringing the team mechanic from KoF. To those who aren't familiar, it would be kinda like Pkmn Trainer, but each stock being strictly one fighter of a set of three, on rotation. The order is selected in the CSS, like in the original KoF.

My theory was kinda betting on Terry bringing the FF team from KoF, but both Andy and Joe showed up in the trailer.
As much as Terry even having his final art being added to the banner, I believe the team theory is possible.
They barely showed anything on him, and it is odd how Sakurai wasn't willing to show anything on him just yet, even though the stage and character model was ready, with already working moves and animations. I think that he didn't want to focus too much on Terry now to not take the hype away from Banjo.

In conclusion, if you take a look at the trailer, they showed every major KoF character....... except two: Mai and Athena.
Those two are the next most famous and relevant SNK characters of all time, outmatching even Terry in terms of number of crossover game appearances.
I believe that Mai is in. And I believe that She will be part of Terry/Mai/Athena team, to be revealed and hyped up in November.
Let's be real here. The trailer was made with SNK. It's completely out of character of them to ignore BOTH Mai and Athena.

With this, as much as this thread might be small, I humbly ask you to consider current status, and give an input to what has been brought forth.

Count me in as a Mai supporter. Her inclusion would be of the very best for me in Ultimate!

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So, I kinda left SB a while ago, but returned to give my most requested character, Sephiroth, a revitalized thread.
I also came here due to the SNK talk and finally realizing that Mai's chances were real.
I've been a Mai main for many years. She is my favorite SNK character, and I never would have thought that anyone from SNK would join Smash this early.
Indeed, Terry was the one chosen, and it broke my heart that she wasn't the one. But, I have developed a theory before the Direct. I've heard from leaks before that Terry was the one, but no more info was given other than the fact that he was confirmed.
While Terry may have had the crossover with Fatal Fury in the trailer and website, I believe this has more to do with Terry being directly from the Fatal Fury series. The trailer is 100% King of Fighters, and Terry's stage is a stadium from KoF 2003.
With this in mind, Terry would actually be repping more King of Fighters than Fatal Fury. And KoF's main structural mechanic is a team based system, where each round, or "stock", is dedicated to one of three fighters in a team.
My theory is that Terry's mechanic in Smash is him bringing the team mechanic from KoF. To those who aren't familiar, it would be kinda like Pkmn Trainer, but each stock being strictly one fighter of a set of three, on rotation. The order is selected in the CSS, like in the original KoF.

My theory was kinda betting on Terry bringing the FF team from KoF, but both Andy and Joe showed up in the trailer.
As much as Terry even having his final art being added to the banner, I believe the team theory is possible.
They barely showed anything on him, and it is odd how Sakurai wasn't willing to show anything on him just yet, even though the stage and character model was ready, with already working moves and animations. I think that he didn't want to focus too much on Terry now to not take the hype away from Banjo.

In conclusion, if you take a look at the trailer, they showed every major KoF character....... except two: Mai and Athena.
Those two are the next most famous and relevant SNK characters of all time, outmatching even Terry in terms of number of crossover game appearances.
I believe that Mai is in. And I believe that She will be part of Terry/Mai/Athena team, to be revealed and hyped up in November.
Let's be real here. The trailer was made with SNK. It's completely out of character of them to ignore BOTH Mai and Athena.

With this, as much as this thread might be small, I humbly ask you to consider current status, and give an input to what has been brought forth.

Count me in as a Mai supporter. Her inclusion would be of the very best for me in Ultimate!
Welcome to the support group!

As for what you said, anything could happen though tbh I don't see them incorporating a Pokemon Trainer style character since it'd require a ton of extra work on Sakurai's end to essentially make 3 characters. Even if he did, Terry would probably have Andy and Joe with him since they're on his team in just about every KoF game. We'll have to see though.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
The trailer showed both of them losing the invitation.
I really think they might just be making a complete SNK team with Terry as the team leader.

It might be considerable work, but looking at the fact that the segment with Terry that was shown was recorded two days after the Hero presentation, I think there is enough time. Not only that, but moveset implementation with fighting game characters like Terry, Mai and Athena are much easier to adapt and translate into Smash.

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
My spirits were fully lifted when they announced that more DLC fighters are on the way, so several of my hopefuls still have a chance with Mai being one of them.

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
My spirits were fully lifted when they announced that more DLC fighters are on the way, so several of my hopefuls still have a chance with Mai being one of them.
Yeah, maybe in her Fatal Fury or King of Fighters style. :D

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
For me, I'm a bit unsure on this. Up to now, the second characters to be included for third-party series have been echoes. :ultrichter::ultken:

Can we really be sure that Sakurai is ready to go all the way?

Welcome to the support group!

As for what you said, anything could happen though tbh I don't see them incorporating a Pokemon Trainer style character since it'd require a ton of extra work on Sakurai's end to essentially make 3 characters. Even if he did, Terry would probably have Andy and Joe with him since they're on his team in just about every KoF game. We'll have to see though.
To be honest, I think a team setup would only make sense in the context of Smash if KOF originals showed up. Most likely these guys: https://www.deviantart.com/hes6789/art/King-Of-Fighters-94-Rebout-Team-Japan-540694133

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
For me, I'm a bit unsure on this. Up to now, the second characters to be included for third-party series have been echoes. :ultrichter::ultken:

Can we really be sure that Sakurai is ready to go all the way?

To be honest, I think a team setup would only make sense in the context of Smash if KOF originals showed up. Most likely these guys: https://www.deviantart.com/hes6789/art/King-Of-Fighters-94-Rebout-Team-Japan-540694133
I think so too.

The character could be called “King of Fighters” or even “Team Japan” and the playable fighters are Kyo Kusanagi, Benimaru Nikaido, and Goro Daimon (in case anyone is wondering who the characters are in the link you posted).

I guess I was wrong about the Terry Bogard, Nakoruru, and Kyo Kusanagi team idea. It was too good to be true. Oh well.

I’m surprised Mai Shiranui didn’t show up in Terry’s trailer. She’s probably the only popular SNK character missing from the trailer. Then again, knowing Smash fans on social media, they probably wouldn’t know what they are missing since most of them didn’t know SNK fighting games existed.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I’m surprised Mai Shiranui didn’t show up in Terry’s trailer. She’s probably the only popular SNK character missing from the trailer. Then again, knowing Smash fans on social media, they probably wouldn’t know what they are missing since most of them didn’t know SNK fighting games existed.
I mean, the staff could just have easily shown her off in that montage, yet they didn't. I know that it could easily turn into a Shadow/Skull Kid/Isaac situation, so if she doesn't appear as a spirit or even an assist, something's rotten in Denmark. Only two months until we know for sure.

Heck, those Twitter neophytes probably thought about Shingeki no Kyojin the second they saw SNK...

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I think so too.

The character could be called “King of Fighters” or even “Team Japan” and the playable fighters are Kyo Kusanagi, Benimaru Nikaido, and Goro Daimon (in case anyone is wondering who the characters are in the link you posted).

I guess I was wrong about the Terry Bogard, Nakoruru, and Kyo Kusanagi team idea. It was too good to be true. Oh well.

Specifically, Mai and Athena are missing. And they are just as popular as Terry. And they could form a team with Terry.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
No, because I don't think she would be a separate character. I see her and Mai making a team with Terry.
I don't see more SNK characters coming individually.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Do you figure that Athena could be our "oddball retro character" for this time? Especially since the NES version of her debut game's known for being objectively terrible.
Come think of it, I don’t think we have a retro newcomer this time.

I guess we do if we count :ultbanjokazooie::ultkrool::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultdarksamus::ulthero:. I don’t know...

I kinda thought we were getting a character from the 1970s when Terry’s trailer showed the timeline with all these Nintendo consoles. Of course as soon they showed the Neo Geo, I immediately knew we were getting a SNK character.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Come think of it, I don’t think we have a retro newcomer this time.

I guess we do if we count :ultbanjokazooie::ultkrool::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultdarksamus::ulthero:. I don’t know...

I kinda thought we were getting a character from the 1970s when Terry’s trailer showed the timeline with all these Nintendo consoles. Of course as soon they showed the Neo Geo, I immediately knew we were getting a SNK character.
Well, if there is any, they would have to show up at the extreme end of this game's DLC cycle, when people stopped thinking about it. That would catch absolutely everyone off-guard.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, if there is any, they would have to show up at the extreme end of this game's DLC cycle, when people stopped thinking about it. That would catch absolutely everyone off-guard.
I kinda want NES Remix to be a retro character... it would be the four NES characters who were rejected in favor of Ice Climbers in Melee and they joined forces.

Urban Champion, Balloon Fighter, Excitebiker, and Bubbles from Clu Clu Land

Top Bottom