• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Escape to the Surface, Octolings for Smash + splatoon 3 discussion

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
presumably the shape would effect that blast range
I'd say the problem lies more in the way Olimar get in his ship, and how he is positioned in it. But with costumes having different animations now (shown with Inklings and their victory poses) I hope that his final Smash can get the same treatment, as long as it retain the same hitbox of course. The blast is big enough, it's not really a problem

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Can we please get back on topic?

As I was saying, Octoling would definitely be the Echo Fighter for Inkling, with four girl variants, and four boy variants.

As for the enemy Octoling, it can be an Assist Trophy, while the good Octolings would be playable.

SmashPulsion

Smash Rookie
This is my moveset for Octolings for Super Smash Bros. I hope one day, they will get into Ultimate as playable characters.

A fighter that fights similar to the Inklings but will have some key differences. Octoling moves that use ink, generally consume more compared to Inklings, so be prepared to recharge your ink more, but those moves will generally have better damage/knockback/ink coverage in comparison to make up for that. However, Octolings have some moves that are different entirely that Inklings do not have as well. Octolings will be a Clone/Echo to some degree, but as best as possible, I tried to differentiate them from the Inklings. They’re mainly influenced by Splatoon 2 though they do have some Splatoon 1 influence (though those influences reappear in Splatoon 2 as well). As of right now they share neutrals, aerial, grab attacks, and etc. This has a chance of being revised once both Smash Ultimate is available, and Splatoon 2 is finished updating in December of this year.

SPECIAL ATTACKS

Neutral Special – Splat Dualies – Octolings will shoot both close and far to them. Can use a special dodge roll, if they use the jump button while using the Splat Dualies on the ground, that will also leave ink where the Octoling was standing. The special dodge roll uses more ink compared to using the Splat Dualies normally as well. Can’t use the special dodge roll in the air but can still fire with the Splat Dualies normally during the air. Splat Dualies normally also consume more ink compared to the Inkling’s Splattershot.

https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Splat_Dualies

Side Special – Splat Brella – Negates (doesn’t reflect or absorb) projectiles into nothing and can cause damage to opponents if contact with the Splat Brella is made itself. Can be fired in front of the Octoling still negating projectiles and causing damage to opponents as well. If the Splat Brella is fired, Octolings must wait a couple of seconds before being able to use Splat Brella at all again. Does not consume ink, as the ink function of the Splat Brella is not being used.

https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Splat_Brella

Down Special – Autobomb - Works similar to Bowser Jr.’s Mechakoopas but besides damaging opponents, can also cover/add ink onto opponents if it manages to explode on them. You throw the Autobombs like Inkling's Splatbombs, but once it lands on the ground, it will start walking by itself for a bit, similar to Junior's Mechakoopas. Consumes ink like the Splat Dualies. Will also cover the ground in general in ink, when used.

https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Autobomb

Up Special – Super Jump – Pretty much works exactly like the Inkling’s Super Jump. Open to revisions in the future once the game is out, to adjust variables, but otherwise the same aesthetically and in functionality.

https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Super_Jump
SMASH ATTACKS

Side Smash – Octobrush – It will use more Ink compared to Inkling’s Inkbrush Side Smash, but opponents will be covered in more ink in comparison and will have them be more susceptible to more damage longer in comparison.

https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Octobrush

Up Smash - Luna Blaster – Works similar to the Inkling’s Up Smash which uses the Blaster, except more powerful but uses up more ink in comparison. Leaves opponents in Ink longer compared to Inkling’s Up Smash.

https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Luna_Blaster

Down Smash – Explosher – Instead of launching ink directly in front and behind of the Octoling, like the Inkling’s Down Smash which is the Slosher, the Octoling’s Explosher will launch two ink balls of projectiles forwards and backwards. Depending on how long you charge the attack, determines how far they will go. Uses more ink consumption compared to the Inkling’s Down Smash

https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Explosher

FINAL SMASH
Final Smash – Splashdown – Octoling will launch into the air and a circle will appear around them. Any opponent directly within that circle, will launch into an attack that will have them slammed down with an ink explosion also covering the ground on and near where Octoling lands, from where the circle was formed.

https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Splashdown

Last edited:

fortun8

Smash Cadet
As much as I'd like to believe this, something to keep in mind is that the Octolings don't have that much definition on their right ears. The rings on the tentacles also look a little odd, as if one is trying to make way for another. I don't remember if that's how it looks in Splatoon 2, but I'm thinking it wasn't!

Either way, still put me down as a support! As their own thing or as an echo, I'd still have a blast!

D

Deleted member

Octoling as an Inkling Echo is something I am in support of. But I do feel like it's a little too new for the base game given how recent the Octo Expansion is. But I do think it's one of the 4 most likely DLC characters.

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Still no sign of Octoling, but we got one more newcomer revealed today: Isabelle

Another list of newcomers we have so far:
Inkling
Daisy
Ridley
Simon
Richter
Chrom
Dark Samus
King K. Rool
Isabelle

Now we got another Animal Crossing character. The 9th newcomer. Another Assist Trophy promotion.

Because of Octoling's playable debut being so recent, I wouldn't count on them getting in the base roster, but definitely possible as DLC. The Octoling amiibo three-pack launches the same day as Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Ok, I have a topic for you guys to discuss. I was considering removing Octolings from my predictions until I re-read this portion of a Sakurai article:

"Initially, I had considered including Lucina as one of Marth's alternate costumes. After all, she has a close relationship with him in FE:A. In such cases, even if two characters' names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way, I assign them as alternate costumes. The Wii Fit Trainers, Villagers, and Robin are examples of this setup.

However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!"

Do you think Octolings act different enough from Inklings in terms of characteristics of attacks for them to be separate characters on the roster?
Old post, but with Isabelle a thing now, I think Octolings can easily be a different character. There is enough from Splatoon 2 to make a totally different character from the Inklings. For instance, they could use the Duelies instead of the Splattershot. There is also all the clothing for Splatoon 2. You have enough to work with. Do I think they'll make it in by Dec 7th? No. Splatoon 2 started far later than a lot of other Switch games, but they could be DLC. Regardless, I think they could definitely be their own unique character.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
Octolings make too much sense as an echo, and they could use Splatoon 2 versions of the weapons Inkling uses. I support!

Machete

Smash Ace
The more I think about it, the more I am sure Octolings are inevitable. They're far too much popular and Splatoon is far too huge, and Octolings don't require much change from Inklings, hell, most of those changes could be purely cosmetic. If Sakurai was able to sneak in a new echo at the last moment, I am sure it's the Octolings. Agent 8 is ridiculously popular.

So yeah, not only I dig it, but I am convinced they're on the way. I am not sure on the format and they'd all make sense. Last-minute echo. First echo DLC either for free if you sign up for Switch Online or for cheap to test the waters of DLC. Or even semi-clone to advertise Splatoon 3 or whatever. But Octolings will happen, I am 100% sure of that.

Veemo.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Old post, but with Isabelle a thing now, I think Octolings can easily be a different character. There is enough from Splatoon 2 to make a totally different character from the Inklings. For instance, they could use the Duelies instead of the Splattershot. There is also all the clothing for Splatoon 2. You have enough to work with. Do I think they'll make it in by Dec 7th? No. Splatoon 2 started far later than a lot of other Switch games, but they could be DLC. Regardless, I think they could definitely be their own unique character.
Certainly as a DLC semi-clone! To build on the idea, how about if Octoling uses some weapons Inkling doesn’t use, like the Splatling or the Charger? Imagine if the Charger is her Side-Smash, and it boasts, like I dunno, TWICE the range of the Vampire Killer?

Oh, by the way, I support!

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Okay, so after seeing the newest Special weapon, I want the Booyah Bomb to be Octoling's Final Smash! Maybe you can mash the taunt buttons to increase its power, and in team matches, teammates can taunt to boost its power while you charge!

NineS

Smash Lord
Count me in as a supporter! While I don't see octolings joining in as their own separate fighters, I'd still want them in. The playable variety of them, that is. But I would definitely be happy to eat my words if they end up being their own characters instead of Echo fighters.

sman3579

Smash Cadet
I don't know if this has been said but, the Octoling amiibo's actually come out the same day (in America) as Smash Ultimate does, December 7th. This is probably merely a coincidence but you never know. What is it's a smart way for them to kill 2 bird with one stone with the amigo's by releasing them when they will be able to work for both games.

Plus they could differentiate them slightly with the weapons they use. For instance instead of the side smash being the Inkbrush, the octolings could have the Octobrush instead. Maybe for the down special instead of splat bomb they could get burst bomb or something.

I think they would be great echoes.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Anyone expecting Octolings to be revealed in this direct. I am 50/50 on their chances right now.

Place your bets: Octolings base game or DLC? Or not at all?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Anyone expecting Octolings to be revealed in this direct. I am 50/50 on their chances right now.

Octolings will become the new Vergil, in that they’ll only be playable as DLC.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

i think the popularity in the splatoon series would give them a good shot at smash somewhere in the future near or other wise

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
List of newcomers revealed so far:

Inkling
Daisy
Ridley
Simon
Richter
Chrom
Dark Samus
King K. Rool
Isabelle
Ken
Incineroar

Piranha Plant (DLC)

It's also been confirmed that we're not getting anymore Echo Fighters, so if Octoling still has a shot, it has to be a UNIQUE fighter, since we already know it won't be an Echo. Hopefully, Octoling Mii costumes are still possible as well. I'd also like to see Pearl and Marina Mii costumes.

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Spirits do not disconfirm fighters, but I can see why the topic starter is pessimistic, since there's no more Echo Fighters, which may really hurt Octoling's chances of getting in as DLC.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
I never saw Octolings as Echoes anyways, just because they CAN work as Echoes doesn't mean they SHOULD be. If Octolings get in they'll be fully unique like they should be so I'm pretty happy with the thought and still support them.

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
I'm still supporting Octoling regardless. If we don't get them, they'll be in the next Smash for sure. By that time, we'll already have Splatoon 3, which Salmonlings could make their debut in. Salmonlings would be like Inklings and Octolings, but they'd come from the Salmonids, swimming in ink as salmon. They would be a new species. They might end up being called "Salmlings". Who knows?

When we eventually get Splatoon 3, should Octolings be available right away, or should they still be unlockable?

The Octolings in the original Splatoon weren't even gendered. They were going to be playable then, but were dropped because the developers wanted to properly incorporate them storywise, which we eventually got in the Octo Expansion, where Octolings officially made their playable debut.

Staarih

Smash Master
I was just playing Splatoon and was thinking about Octolings in Smash, so I had to find this thread and show my support! While at first I believed they would be Echoes (like many others I assume), I've come to the realization that the Octolings could be unique as well with the plethora of weapons available in Splatoon. The news of Nintendo "picking" the DLC characters is what actually made me rethink Octolings: whether it would be called a business move or not, Octolings in Smash would not only push Splatoon 2 more, but the single player DLC for it as well. Nintendo must also be very well aware of how anything with Splatoon in it prints money (especially in Japan), shown via the several amiibo they still make for the game, for example + other merch.

I mean, in my eyes, the Octolings could still happen and I personally wouldn't mind it because I love Splatoon and it has become a major IP for Nintendo, but we'll see of course.

Last edited:

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
If we can't get Octoling as a fighter, then the next best thing would be Octoling Mii costumes. The Mii costumes would consist of boy and girl versions. One other Octoling Mii costume I'd like to see is the Sanitized Octoling, with the green-tipped blue tentacle hair.

Right now, the only new Splatoon Mii costumes we're getting at launch are the Splatoon 2 Inkling boy and girl.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I still think Octolings could be in the game. I mean it's probably not likely.
But still possible.

The reason for this is that, with the exception of Mini Judd, only the first game is being referenced (not counting MII Costumes or Spirits).
And while Inklings reference Splatoon 1, Octolings could be used to reference Splatoon 2.

Everyone thought Octolings could only work as Echo Fighters and since the DLC Packs are confirmed to not be Echo Fighters, Octo's won't come to Smash.
But I disagree.
Octolings could still work as semi-clones, like Isabelle or Dr. Mario.

And with that, let me post my ideas for a possible moveset...

One obvious thing that could be done, if giving the Octolings weapons from Splatoon 2 instead.
Replace Splattershot with Splat Dualies, replace Splat Bomb with Autobomb, replace Splat Roller with Splatbrella.

A thing that could be done as well, is change their grabs to be more similar to Snake, as well as give all of their melee-attacks the vibe of a fighter, that is well versed in martial arts.
After all, Octolings were trained up to be Soldiers. So reflecting that in the moveset, would be a very nice touch.

One more detail I would like to add is, whenever they punch or kick or something like that, they free their hands to do it.
When that happens, they carry the Dualies around their hip.
(Y'know, like you do with handguns in real life, if you're not using them at the moment...)

So yeah, let's go over the basic moveset idea I have for them.

Jab would be a simple Punch-Punch-Kick combo.
Straight punches, accurate and professional.

Tilts could be various sorts of punching or kicking moves as well.
Uppercuts, Roundhouse kicks, Low Kicks... Things like that.

For Smash Attacks, they would basically be similar to Inklings.
Using weapons from Splatoon 2.
Like the Explosher, Squeezer, Dynamo Roller or Octobrush.
Note that if the Squeezer is used, the Octoling would actually hold it like a handgun, with both hands.

Aerials would use similar attacks as the Tilts.

Dash Attack, could be a charge attack with the Octopus Form.

For grabs, I have two versions.
One where the Octoling grabs the opponent from the front, like pretty much everyone.
Or where the Octoling grabs the opponent from behind, like Snake.

For the frontal version, the Octoling grabs the opponent with both hands around their collar (or where it would be, if the opponent doesn't wear clothes).
Pummel would be a headbutt. While throws would be several martial arts style throws.
Back Throw could be a simple Shoulder Throw.
Down Throw could be a Hip Throw
Forward Throw could be a Forward Trip.
And Up Throw could be a backdrop to upwards kick. Or Octopus Form launch.

For the rear version, the Octoling grabs the opponent from behind like Snake.
But instead of a choke hold, the Octoling grabs the opponent's arm and torso to restrain their movement.
Pummel would be a kick from behind.
Throws would be once again martial arts oriented.
Back Throw could be a backwards trip.
Down Throw could be the Octoling smacking the opponent at the back of their head with one of her Dualies.
Or a trip to gut punch.
Forward Throw could be the Octoling stepping beside the opponent performing a forward trip.
And Up throw could be, again lifting the opponent up and performing a kick from the ground. Or Octopus Form.

For the special attacks.
Neutral B would be Splat Dualies.
You can double-tab to perform dodge rolls, that consume ink, like in Splatoon 2.
Your fire rate, accuracy and range will be increased for a few seconds, after a Dualie-Dodge.
You can also ram opponents with a Dualie-Dodge, for some damage.

Side B would be Autobomb.
And it'd work pretty much like in Splatoon 2.

Up B would be Super Jump.
Just like the Inklings.

Down B would be Splatbrella.
It blocks frontal attacks and counters with the brella-head shooting forward.
A slow moving projectile. The brella can't be used again, until the projectile has despawned.

And for their Final Smash, I have three options.
- Tenta Missiles
- Splashdown
- Off the Hook

The first two are obvious and don't require an explanation.
The third one though, is a cinematic final smash, that reenacts the finale of Octo Expansion.
After the initial hit, the cutscene starts, where Marina drops Superbombs close the opponent, which the Octoling detonates by shooting them with their Octoshot.
Then Pearl takes out her Super Killer Wail and does her BOO-YAH attack, sending the opponent into the NILS Statue with a giant Inksplosion.

The Octoling's Stage would either be "Shifty Station" or "NILS Statue".
Off the Hook would be featured in either of those.

And just like Inklings, there is Octoling Girl and Octoling Boy.
Based on the Octo Expansion Octolings.

Costumes could be...
- Octoling Gear (the ones Octoling Enemies use in Splatoon 2)
- Subject Gear (what you wear during the Octo Expansion Campaign)
- Splatoon 2 Inkling Girl/Boy clothes (the ones used for the MII Costumes)
And maybe a few more from Splatoon 2.

So yeah, so much for my idea for Octolings in Smash.
That was quite a wall of text though.
My apologies... ^^;

Last edited:

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
The fact that Octoling's playable debut was so recent could be a major obstacle for them to get playable in Smash as DLC.

As for Splatoon 3 speculation, I was thinking Octolings could be playable right away, with Salmonlings (a new species) being unlockable through a story similar to Octo Expansion. The final Splatfest for Splatoon 2 will certainly be Pearl v Marina. After that, Pearl and Marina will retire from Inkopolis News, while a new idol pair takes their place in Splatoon 3. Callie, Marie, Pearl and Marina will still have roles in the story.

One new feature I'd like Splatoon 3 to have is default hair colors. You can select your Inkling or Octoling's tentacle hair color, while the tips indicate their ink color, meaning they'd have two-tone hair colors like the idol groups, or you could have the traditional single-tone hair as an option, which just matches the ink color.

Updates for Splatoon 2 will end soon. There's a good chance Splatoon 3 would get announced sometime in 2019, most likely at E3, or at the earliest, a teaser trailer in the Spring Direct.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
While I don't have Splatoon 2 yet (don't have a Switch to play it on); I am looking forward to Splatoon 3. Playable "Salmonlings" would be kind of cool! I've seen a few fan made designs and I'm very curious as to what they might officially look like (assuming Nintendo creates "Salmonlings").

More options the better I say! I'd like to choose eye types like Callie, Marie, and Pearl as well as unique ones not seen yet. Definitely more "hair" styles as well. I'd like the story to feature an actual team for certain parts of the story. Those moments where you fight the evil Octarians again or Salmonids that maybe too much one your character; we could be joined by a small group of new characters to Splat them to kingdom come! Our own "Splatoon" if you will.... :p

I'd also maybe like a personal mission with each new character to flesh them out a little.

And finally... more new Species! I really liked seeing all the different unique Species that exist in Splatoons world.

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Splatoon 3 can introduce different eye types as well. For example, you can select the eye type that the big-haired Octolings have, which were eyes with purple borders around them, along with lashes, and have their hairstyle.

It would be cool if Nintendo officially introduced Salmonlings as a third playable species in Splatoon 3. I would love to see how they'd look officially. The story can be like the Octo Expansion, only instead of underground, the Salmonling would be very far away from Inkopolis, and wants to get there, while going through obstacles along the way. Instead of a subway train, you'd be taking a boat to Inkopolis, while making stops to pass some tests. But, the other Salmonids want to stop you!

Octolings can be selectable right from the get-go, while Salmonlings would be unlockable.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I’d be game for a Splatoon 3.

Thinking about the release pattern that’s going on for the Splatoon franchise (unless it’s just one Splatoon game per console), Splatoon 1 released in 2015 while Splatoon 2 released in 2017. If this plays out, we could see a Splatoon 3 next year. But that’s what I think.

As for Salmonlings, that would be a sight to see. Maybe Salmonling personality could be like that of chefs since Salmonids often have cooking equipment with them? The question is, who would the Salmonling campaign villain be?

Splatoon has D.J. Octavio while Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion has Captain Tartar...*snickers*, now I’m just imagining Splatoon 3 Salmonling DLC’s antagonist being Mr. Grizz!

Top Bottom