Sneaking through the ink last-minute, Octolings for Smash Ultimate! (under new management)

Rie Sonomura

octos are babey don't @ me
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
yeah but i really seems like sakurai has a thing for fire emblem so lets get our hopes in check
I noticed Byleth reuses a couple animations. it may be that they were easier to make, just like how Octolings would be using Inkling as a base (not necessarily an Echo)

Rie Sonomura

NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I was actually debating adding this to my Octoling trailer concept

after the logo, which has the Super Smash Bros. part all retro wave chrome-y like the word “Octo” in Octo Expansion and the “Ultimate” neon like the word “Expansion”

I was thinking of cutting to another CGI where Pearl stands before Galeem as the music in that final scene after inking the NILS statue plays, she says “AYO, LIGHT THINGY!”, whips out the Princess Cannon and the whole BOOYAAAAAHHH and stuff but instead of Tartar’s ink it’s Galeem’s light, and it looks like Pearl’s about to lose like last time but before we can see the results, it cuts to black and the copyright credits

what do y’all think?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
as I was saying...
Hey so

Elma/Fiora/Black Shadow/Octoling intensifies

BAM.

Octoling wouldn't have the issues say Rex/Spring Man/Akira Howard would have mechanic wise, just use Inkling as a base and maybe give them a few differing weapons like Chargers or Dualies and you're good to go! Also the Spirit named Octoling (found in WoL in the Light Realm) is technically of the Octoling Enemy variant so just rename that one "Octoling (Enemy)". The OE Octoling Spirit, Octoling Girl & Octoling Boy, is found in the Dark Realm and maybe that can stay named that way as the two gender variants would get their own Fighter Spirits, and they'd come with much more OE Spirits like CQ, Iso Padre, and Off the Hook in their OE wear

also a random thought: what if Octoling's Spirit Board played this song:

like honestly I expect them to go all out with OE references, not just the music

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Hero

Nerkama

Smash Rookie
Somehow didn't find this until today, but I wish to support Octoling for smash as well. Although, I'm curious what a zoning variant would look like in contrast to the melee inkling we have right now, utilizing more of the chargers in conjunction with Splatling and brella

Rie Sonomura

NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Somehow didn't find this until today, but I wish to support Octoling for smash as well. Although, I'm curious what a zoning variant would look like in contrast to the melee inkling we have right now, utilizing more of the chargers in conjunction with Splatling and brella
oh! dualies too! with the whole dodge feature!

LAA9000

Smash Rookie
Pirate ship on a stick from the Pirate Ship stage
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
I was kind of thinking the same thing; there's enough potential for a completely unique moveset. Here are some of my random, probably incohesive ideas:
  • Side tilt is a one-two Octobrush swing, a bit like Meta Knight's side tilt
  • Forward air is the vertical roller swing from Splatoon 2
  • Down air is a stall-and-fall similar to the Splashdown animation
  • Down B could be either a Curling Bomb, Autobomb or Ink Mine
  • Up or side smash is the Heavy Splatling
  • Pummel inks the opponent instead of forward throw (I know, massive creative change)
Anyway I'd be down with them, and I still believe they have a bit of a chance despite Spirits. They could easily rename the existing 'Octoling Boy and Girl' Spirit 'Agent 8 (Male and Female)' or something along those lines.

Rie Sonomura

NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I was kind of thinking the same thing; there's enough potential for a completely unique moveset. Here are some of my random, probably incohesive ideas:
  • Side tilt is a one-two Octobrush swing, a bit like Meta Knight's side tilt
  • Forward air is the vertical roller swing from Splatoon 2
  • Down air is a stall-and-fall similar to the Splashdown animation
  • Down B could be either a Curling Bomb, Autobomb or Ink Mine
  • Up or side smash is the Heavy Splatling
  • Pummel inks the opponent instead of forward throw (I know, massive creative change)
Anyway I'd be down with them, and I still believe they have a bit of a chance despite Spirits. They could easily rename the existing 'Octoling Boy and Girl' Spirit 'Agent 8 (Male and Female)' or something along those lines.
If anything the fighter spirits could be named "Octoling Girl" and "Octoling Boy" respectively. They'd sooner change the Spirit that's just named "Octoling" to "Octoling (Enemy)" since it's of the enemy Octoling from the main campaign