• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake dthrow>c4 consistency?

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
Hi, so this is kind of a super basic post but i notice sometimes i am able to Dthrow>C4, and sometimes snake will just stick the stage instead of the character. Do i need to buffer this, or is this simply untrue? Is it % based? Has there already been a guide on this? Please delete if you think this is spam, have a nice day.

Earl_dud

Smash Rookie
I have not been able to stick people when I down throw them. My understanding was that you could not. Side question, can you stick people that are shielding?

Perversion

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 3699 5960 3002
To clarify what has already been discussed in this forum in other threads. D-throw only leads into a tech chase scenario until 160% across the board. At that point, you can sticky your opponents, but the timing is tight. The optimal thing to do when your opponent is at 160% is to utilt them, as it's a guaranteed kill confirm.

Yes, you can sticky people while they're in shield.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Snake will stick C4 to a fighter on frame 9. When you d-throw at 160% you have +6 frames advantage, which is enough time to u-tilt (comes out frame 6) but not enough time to sticky.

For reference, d-throw has -4 frames advantage at 0%, and +3 frame advantage at 100%. It climbs to +4 around 125%, and so on, so you can tech chase with this throw a lot better the more percent the opponent has.

(^ Correct me if I'm wrong here, going off by memory)

With that in mind: sticky out of d-throw may work better at around 100% if, say for example, you predict where the opponent rolls. At 160 just u-tilt, it KOs everybody and is guaranteed.

I have not been able to stick people when I down throw them. My understanding was that you could not. Side question, can you stick people that are shielding?
Yes, you can sticky a shielding opponent. This is a very good way to punish shield, especially if they are above you in a platform shielding. Works well in this game because dropping shield is much slower than it was in S4 (it is 11 frames of shield drop in this game). Because this isn't a physical attack, sticky can't be parried as well.

Last edited:

Perversion

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 3699 5960 3002
Snake will stick C4 to a fighter on frame 9. When you d-throw at 160% you have +6 frames advantage, which is enough time to u-tilt (comes out frame 6) but not enough time to sticky.
Thank you for the clarification. I was unsure as I've gotten it off, however with the information presented, I now now that it was my opponents unresponsiveness to the scenario.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
No guides yet. But a thing that was found in stages with platforms is C4 -> ledge-cancel to self sticky Snake. Ledge cancelling is when you slide off the ledge to interrupt the animation of the move you're doing. This is one vid:

https://youtu.be/ArodvB_nip4

This is a very good technique, but it is also pretty difficult to do so practice is highly recommended.

The reason it's good is because the sticky can be transferred to an opponent just by touching them as soon as the red blinking light stops. But ditto applies if you stick an opponent, they can stick it back on you after the red light stops blinking. The sticky explodes by itself after around 30 seconds.

Top Bottom