• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake C4 Setups?

PigPen910

Smash Rookie
NNID
PigPen910
3DS FC
5344-1886-2173
Snake has some very unique tools in his kit which are very nice. From the tranquilizer pistol to the mortar up-smash. Some of the tools to be utilized are extremely useful, but the C4 in particular sticks out. Getting some early K.O.s with it can turn the tide of a match.

I simply have problems setting it up. Mostly because I don't know how and when I should. A big question in my mind is in what other ways can the C4 be applied rather than standing next to your opponent and hitting down b.

Any suggestions? It would be very useful to enhance my Snake experience. :3

bboss

Smash Journeyman
I simply have problems setting it up. Mostly because I don't know how and when I should. A big question in my mind is in what other ways can the C4 be applied rather than standing next to your opponent and hitting down b.

Any suggestions? It would be very useful to enhance my Snake experience. :3
Hey man.

I played Snake in Project M for over a year and I can tell you that not only he has a great kit, he has insanely good setups.

1. Moves that set up into sticky:

1. Dair. This move is insane. It comes out frame 3 and the first 3 hits have set knockback and jab reset. Say you're falling towards an enemy in knockdown. You can just dair them, fast fall to l-cancel (doesn't matter how many hits connect, as all hits reset), and then sticky, which comes out frame 7. So best case scenario, you have a 21-frame punish on opponents in knockdown, which deals 4% and gets a sticky. Not bad.
Sorry for that rambling. What I'm trying to say is the first 3 hits of dair set up into sticky very nicely because of their hitstun and landing lag (only 9 frames). Generally, if you can land 3 hits of a dair, you can get a sticky.
2. The obvious one - tranq. Tranq is somewhat laggy, and you can get punished at close range, but it is useful to punish your opponent's up-b landing lag with characters like Ganon, Fox, Falcon, Sheik, and Marth. Tranq is fairly easy to land, but any skilled player will be able to shield in time in most cases.
3. 2nd hit of nair. The PMDev team designed the 2nd hit to chain into the 3rd, so it has set knockback. And a fairly high amount of hitstun. If you hit a grounded opponent with just the 2nd hit, you have afairly high chance of getting a stikcy.
4. Upthrow. Suplex bounce is great, especially against fastfallers, but it is even better on stages with platforms, as you can set up a techchase opportunity. Even on FD, if you read your opponent's DI, you can generally jump up and get a sticky fairly easily.
5. dthrow. Sleeper Hold is very, very good in this game, and it limits opponent's options. The opponent has 5 options, which can now be narrowed down to 4, because the wait stand action can be punished easily with a down-b (Snake will sticky any opponent in knockdown, no matter how short). These options are: invincible stand (which is great against snake, except against from Ganondorf), get-up (this is your opponent's best option), roll left, and roll right. If you can read one of these options, you can get a sticky.
6. Dtilt jump. Snake's dtilt is fairly underused. down-tilt, then jump and stikcy at %30.
7. Up-b. Cypher chains into sticky very well at low %, especially against semi- to fast-fallers.
8. And of course the sticky itself. If your opponent is sitting in shield, just wavedash up / dash up and sticky, as sticky goes through shield. You can also jump up and sticky an opponent on a platform, an opponent recovering, etc.

your top 2 best options here are tranq and dair, with suplex bounce at a close 3rd.

hope i helped.

Last edited:
Top Bottom