• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake Advice

Hank J. Wimbleton

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, recently new to the forums. The main things I need help with is dealing with passive players, dealing with/using Aerial attacks, and dealing with Dash Dancing. Most of all my playtime is done in Online and mostly everything I've experienced.

When it comes Passive Players it usually boils down to them playing a character that has a decent/really good projectile(s) and/or them playing so safe that landing Grenades or most of my attacks will not work at all. I would even try and approach, but there is no way I can and if I try they just either remain safe or I take a hit from something leading to more damage or me getting combo'd.

:ulttoonlink: :ultyounglink: Their Boomerangs linger for quite a while and their arrows are easily spammed which makes it hard for me to approach, toss Grenades, or punish.

:ultsamus: :ultdarksamus: The players I’ve fought using them usually boils down to charging in the air, use bombs to maneuver very unpredictably, and go for the ledge 70% of time. I can rarely ever catch them all the while they just avoid everything I can throw. Doesn't help since I can't predict whenever they will use their Charge Beam all of

:ultkrool: Majority of triple K players use their Blunderbuss and Crown 24/7 and me chucking Grenades won’t help. Approaching is hard too since the Blunderbuss has a decent sized windbox to suck the opponent in.

:ultivysaur: I know this character has only one projectile, but that projectile has great shield pressure and lingers for a bit.

:ultolimar: I have yet to fight this character surprisingly, but some advice would be nice if I do come across one since his Pikmin are annoying.

:ultkingdedede: King D3 players love to spam their Gordos and sometimes suck them up. On top of multiple jumps, it makes it hard for me to approach or punish especially since many love to inhale at the ledge for a cheese kill.

:ultmegaman: the epitome of a projectile heavy character. His pellets are hard for me to approach and his Air Tornado makes it hard for me to land safely. I know dash attack grabs his Metal Blade, but I can’t rely on him doing that a lot.

:ultwiifittrainer: I am honestly disappointed on how people play this character online. It boils down to using Deep Breathing, and spamming Soccer Ball, Sun Salutation and camping at the ledge at least from the Wii Fits I fought.

:ultsimon: :ultrichter: I really don’t think any should be said about them with their projectiles.

:ultvillager: :ultisabelle: Slingshot, Loid, Slightshot, Loid. All I face whenever I fight them and they play it so safe where go at the ledge alot.

I probably could've condensed this list smaller or typed more clearly, but writing isn't my strong-suit and I felt like I needed to be a bit specific with these characters.

When it comes to Aerials fights I've always found it difficult to land safely whenever a player decides to wait for me to Air dodge or pull a Grenade in the air, and if I don't act then he'll notice. I've also found it difficult to use 3/4th's of Snake's aerials. Dair is good against grounded opponents, but I never found a good opportune moment for any of his other aerials; some advice for using his other aerials would be nice.

Dash Dancing is another issue I have because they would just wait for me to run at them or give themselves enough space to avoid anything I might do. My projectiles don't work as well since they have plenty of time to react. Is there a way to punish this as Snake?

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
You can punish dash dancing with dash attack or you can face away from them and pop a grenade out if they're just waiting for you to make a move. It comes out on frame 1 behind Snake, if they try to hit you from behind it's very likely they'll blow it up. Space them with safe moves like d-tilt or retreating short hop f-air.

Gordos have a pattern to them, up close you can hit them back at Dedede and he shouldn't have time to react with inhale. From far away I don't really think they're that threatening because he can't really follow up with anything from that distance. He is a pain to fight in the ledge though, since he's very strong at ledge-trapping.

Otherwise, I usually jump over most projectiles. You can fully jump over all of those projectiles you're having issues with, except the boomerangs and razor leaf if angled specific ways. You can also duck under Samus' missiles, the Belmont's whip forward tilts, Mega Man's lemon pellets, and K.Rool crown, same with the slingshot aerials unless the opponent times them specifically close to the ground.

Landing safely and making it back onstage safely is hard as Snake. That's just how this character is. I use Back air to land mostly, since the lingering hitbox is great. But it is risky if they shield it because landing lag on the move sucks. B-reversing grenades and C4 helps a bit, if you're dropping from really high you can also launch and immediately cancel the remote missile, using it as a cover while dropping.

Last edited:
Top Bottom