• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Media Smash'N'Splash 5 + DreamHack Weekend

SchwiftyR

Smash Rookie
Seeding:
  1. Tweek :ultwario::ultroy:
  2. Marss :ultzss::ultike:
  3. MkLeo :ultjoker::ultlucina:
  4. Nairo :ultpalutena::ultzss::ultrobinf::ultwolf:
  5. Light :ultfox:
  6. Samsora :ultpeach:
  7. Dabuz :ultolimar::ultpalutena:
  8. Cosmos :ultinkling:
  9. Ally :ultsnake:
  10. Shoyo James :ultchrom:
  11. Salem :ultsnake::ultshulk::ultlucina:
  12. Myran :ultolimar:
  13. VoiD :ultpichu:
  14. Wishes :ultpokemontrainer:
  15. Mr. R :ultchrom:
  16. WaDi :ultrob::ultwiifittrainer:
  17. Stroder :ultgreninja::ultmario:
  18. Maister :ultgnw:
  19. yeti :ultmegaman:
  20. Dark Wizzy :ultmario:
  21. Mr. E :ultlucina:
  22. Ryuga :ultike:
  23. Goblin :ultroy:
  24. Ned :ultpokemontrainer:
  25. NAKAT :ultpichu:
  26. Suarez :ultyoshi:
  27. 8BitMan :ultrob:
  28. Pelca :ultsnake:
  29. Gackt :ultness:
  30. Gen :ultpalutena:
  31. ZD :ultfox:
  32. CaptainZack :ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbayonetta:
  33. Captain L :ultpikachu::ultpichu:
  34. dyr :ultjoker::ultinkling:
  35. UtopianRay :ultpalutena:
  36. LingLing :ultpeach:
  37. BestNess :ultness:
  38. Lui$ :ultmario:
  39. Leffen :ultpokemontrainer::ultroy:
  40. Pandarian :ultpokemontrainer:
  41. ScAtt :ultmegaman::ultsnake:
  42. LeoN :ultlucina:
  43. ven :ultzelda:
  44. Magister :ultincineroar:
  45. Raffi-X :ultrob:
  46. Seth :ultyoshi:
  47. The Great Gonzales :ultpalutena:
  48. Blacktwins13 :ultpichu::ultroy:
  49. Daybreak :ultwolf:
  50. Juice :ultzss:
  51. Skilly :ultpalutena:
  52. Geist :ultbayonetta:
  53. Blank :ultchrom:
  54. BlazingPasta :ultpeach:
  55. Plup :ultmegaman:
  56. Odyssey :ultfox:
  57. Gomakenpi :ultolimar:
  58. ATATA :ultness:
  59. Tyroy :ultjoker::ultpichu:
  60. Strike :ultfox::ultyounglink:
  61. DM :ultpikachu:
  62. NickC :ultfalcon:
  63. Shoe :ultzss::ultpalutena:
  64. sinnyboo242 :ultinkling:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Well I know S'n'S5 may seem not terribly relevsnt since its being played on Ver 3.0.1 But there have been some pretty notable upsets already in pools.

Juice :ultzss: 2-1 Mr.R :ultchrom:

Gomakenpi :ultolimar: 2-1 Cosmos :ultinkling:

I bet Cosmos is really looking forward to nerfed Olimar now.

Last edited:

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
One other upset seedwise probably happened in Swiss Pool F3.
Gack (:ultness: can't imagine he went another character) 0-2 ven (:ultzelda:)

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
Moar upsets:

Seth :ultyoshi: 2-0s Maister :ultgnw: in Swiss Pool D3, knocking him down to Division 2.

A bit surprised about this one, as Maister does have experience fighting Yoshi thanks to Meme, but Seth did very well overall.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Aside: As of 3:30pm tournament time (on Saturday of a 3-day tournament), Smash N Splash Ultimate has already run more than 50% more matches per entrant than an entire double elim bracket. A double elim bracket runs 2 games per player, and they just passed 3x.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
I know Wizzrobe is generally a Smash virtuoso, but this is a pretty big upset nonetheless.

Tweek :ultjoker::ultwario::ultroy: 1- 3 Wizzrobe :ultwolf:

Entered this tournament being number 1 seed, already sent to Losers at the start of Top 64. Wolf not dead yet.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Wizzrobe (Wolf) 3-1 Tweek (Joker, Wario, Roy)

Wow!

Last edited:

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Wild wild wild, Tweek :ultroy: got upset by Wizzrobe :ultwolf: 3-1
Tweek's got a loooong losers run ahead of him.

lol ninja'd

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
LeeT:ultbrawler: 3-0 Blacktwins:ultpichu:

Also, Elegant:ultluigi: 3-1 Maister:ultgnw: to eliminate him at 65th place. Elegant did lose to RFang:ultmario: 3-0 afterwards to end his run at 49th place.

Btw, does anyone know who Mr E used to beat Myran:ultolimar: 3-1?

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace

Also, Elegant:ultluigi: 3-1 Maister:ultgnw: to eliminate him at 65th place. Elegant did lose to RFang:ultmario: 3-0 afterwards to end his run at 49th place.

Pretty sure Mr. E is solo :ultlucina: but I could be wrong.

NNID
User7a1

We're in top 64, so it should be 49th and 33rd respectively.

Gérard Majax

Smash Cadet
Nairo :ultpalutena: :ultlucina: 3-2 CaptainZack :ultbayonetta:

Bayo almost looked like a good character in the first 3 games. Idk how much of it was due to matchup inexperience (Nairo could have punished some lag here and here), but Zack's damage output was really good, and he managed to get 2-1 despite the fact that Palu kills randomly at 140 while he had to work more for his kills (he even did a ladder at 90 lol).

Then Nairo switched to lucina, put him repeatedly at the ledge and destroyed him. Interested to see what Zack will do in 3.1.0 though.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
The Great Gonzales :ultpalutena: 3 - 1 Tweek :ultwario:

Kind of a sloppy tournament for Tweek. He would've gotten 3-0'd if Great Gonzales didn't SD twice in the third game - and he almost got reverse 3 stocked.

Nairo :ultpalutena: :ultlucina: 3-2 CaptainZack :ultbayonetta:

Bayo almost looked like a good character in the first 3 games. Idk how much of it was due to matchup inexperience (Nairo could have punished some lag here and here), but Zack's damage output was really good, and he managed to get 2-1 despite the fact that Palu kills randomly at 140 while he had to work more for his kills (he even did a ladder at 90 lol).

Then Nairo switched to lucina, put him repeatedly at the ledge and destroyed him. Interested to see what Zack will do in 3.1.0 though.
Lucina is the closest thing Bayonetta has to a hard counter. Good frame data, good range, decent kill moves - all things Bayonetta lacks.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
ScAtt:ultmegaman: 3-0 Myran:ultolimar:
A pretty meh way of saying farewell to 3.0.1. Olimar for him, eliminated this early. That being said, I am not sure he is really in a game time mentality.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
I know Wizzrobe is generally a Smash virtuoso, but this is a pretty big upset nonetheless.

Tweek :ultjoker::ultwario::ultroy: 1- 3 Wizzrobe :ultwolf:

Entered this tournament being number 1 seed, already sent to Losers at the start of Top 64. Wolf not dead yet.
The Great Gonzales :ultpalutena: 3 - 1 Tweek :ultwario:

Kind of a sloppy tournament for Tweek. He would've gotten 3-0'd if Great Gonzales didn't SD twice in the third game - and he almost got reverse 3 stocked.

Lucina is the closest thing Bayonetta has to a hard counter. Good frame data, good range, decent kill moves - all things Bayonetta lacks.

Well, even the best have bad days. That being Palu can be a bit rough for Wario

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
It's hard to be consistant in this game. So this tournament was pre-patch?

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
CaptainZack:ultpeach: reverse 3-0 on Goblin:ultroy: to eliminate him at 33rd place.

In case any of you are wondering, Goblin confirmed that Zack used Peach.

Also, RFang:ultpichu: 3-1 Mr.R:ultsnake: to eliminate him at 25th place.

Last edited:

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
RFang plays Pichu and Young Link but has been using Pichu this whole tournament so far.

Mr. R also played Snake against RFang

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Nairo:ultpalutena: gets double eliminated by :ultpichu:. 3-1 by VoiD and 3-1 by NAKAT to end his run at 17th.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
LeoN :ultbowser: 3 - 0 Cosmos :ultinkling:

That was a uh, pretty violent set.

Cosmos was playing that pretty sub-optimally. Too scared to gentleman jab, too many whiffed grabs, not enough splat bomb checking.

Last edited:

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
That was completely nuts. Games 1 and 2 were both three-stocks by Leon. He almost won the whole set without dying once.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Smash'N'Splash 5 Top 8

Winner's
Ally:ultsnake: vs VoiD:ultpichu:
Marss:ultzss: vs MkLeo:ultjoker:

Loser's
NAKAT:ultpichu: vs Samsora:ultpeach:
Wizzrobe:ultwolf: vs Dabuz:ultolimar:

Not one, but two Pichu players in top 8 this tournament. Too bad this is happening on 3.0.1 instead.
Wizzrobe making top 8 is also crazy as well. You can throw any Smash game on front of his face and he will simply flow with it.
Also, we almost had a Bowser player in top 8. Let that sink in for a second.

DreamHack Dallas Top 8

Winner's
ANTi:ultmario: vs Awestin:ultness:
ESAM:ultpikachu: vs ARMY:ultolimar:

Loser's
MVD:ultsnake: vs Fatality:ultfalcon:
AvoiD:ultsnake: vs MuteAce:ultpeach:

I didn't know Awestin even participated in this tournament. This will be interesting to see.

Last edited:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
It was kinda rough to find out Maister got knocked out pretty early, especially after doing so well at Combo Breaker :\ At least he did a lot better here than at Genesis 6, but I’m hoping he’ll be able to bounce back next time.

That said, really enjoyed the diversity of this tournament’s top 64: There were two :ultzelda:s in top 64, a :ultpiranha:, and a :ultbowser: who almost placed top 8.

Also, :ultike: may be losing a main as Ryuga was really fustrated with his performance; he posted this afterwards:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Iridium

Smash Hero
Smash'N'Splash 5 Top 8

Winner's
Ally:ultsnake: vs VoiD:ultpichu:
Marss:ultzss: vs MkLeo:ultjoker:

Loser's
NAKAT:ultpichu: vs Samsora:ultpeach:
Wizzrobe:ultwolf: vs Dabuz:ultolimar:

Not one, but two Pichu players in top 8 this tournament. Too bad this is happening on 3.0.1 instead.
Wizzrobe making top 8 is also crazy as well. You can throw any Smash game on front of his face and he will simply flow with it.
Also, we almost had a Bowser player in top 8. Let that sink in for a second.

DreamHack Dallas Top 8

Winner's
ANTi:ultmario: vs Awestin:ultness:
ESAM:ultpikachu: vs ARMY (Not the :icsmelee: player, I think...)

Loser's
MVD:ultsnake: vs Fatality:ultfalcon:
AvoiD vs MuteAce:ultpeach:

I didn't know Awestin even participated in this tournament. This will be interesting to see.
This is a different ARMY who uses Olimar. AvoiD is a Snake.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
My take, Joker looks straight-up broken in Leo's hands. I'm pretty confident he's going to take the whole tournament with seeming ease tomorrow (and I bet he'll fight Ally in WFs if not GFs), the guy is I think indisputably the best Ultimate player right now. He gets upset a decent amount of time and has some shockingly low placings, but when he's at peak he just clobbers everyone, even arguably top 5 players.

I'm hype af about Wizzy's making top 8 but I think Dabuz is gonna win dominantly. NAKAT I see as having better odds of advancing past the first round.

Rizen

Smash Legend
It looks like Tweek used :ultyounglink: a little but didn't preform well. Overall it's another of many disappointing turn outs for YL. For all the Links.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
To be fair, a lot of players didn’t seem to perform as well as usual for this tournament: Salem and Dark Wizzy each only got 25th before gettting eliminated, Nairo surprisingly wasn’t able to break top 16, Goblin and Stroder only got 33rd before getting eliminated, Cosmos got torn to shreds by Leon... Some players like Ling Ling and Daybreak couldn’t even hit top 64. Gackt and Maister most likely had it the worst with both placing at 49th despite their seedlings.

Dark Wizzy even made a joke about it on his Twitter lol:

Part of it could be because of people’s frustration with the format of this tournament: Come to Papa already had a mixed reception for its “Round Robin” format, and in a tournament as big as this, there is little doubt that it must’ve caused a lot of fatigue for players.

To be honest, I do feel this placements are impressive overall for a tournament of this caliber, but I can see why others - especially the players themselves - would think otherwise.

On the other hand, Leon, ScAtt, Wizzrobe, and Nakat were absolute monsters this tournament, especially Nakat with how quickly he tore through Nairo, Shoyo, Mr E, and yeti. To be honest, that is a definitely a nice change of pace from the usual Top 8’s we have come to expect, and it’s a good thing others are stepping their game up.

Honestly, based on just how much of a hard time :ultpichu: was giving everyone this tournament, I think everyone is ready for 3.1.0.

Last edited:

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
I still stand by what I said: Yes, Swiss Pools are only useful in rather big tournaments, however they should have never ever introduced that at an S-tier event like Smash 'n Splash. They should have chosen Combo Breaker or Albion (which starts in a few days) for that. They also had a lot of attendees but it would've been much easier to organize there and in would've happened in a less important tournament. When choosing such a big tournament, where seeds and money matters even more I can imagine a lot of player don't really like that.
First let the people accustom to a new format, then do it at a major event if it was a good format.

Also it seems Ven isn't quite happy with the 33rd place, edespite him doing really well overall. Still...2 Zeldas at such an event is great as that was impossible to see in every other Smash game..:3.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Final results for DreamHack Dallas 2019 (Note: this tournament uses 3.0.1)

1st: MuteAce:ultpeach:
2nd: ANTi:ultmario:
3rd: ESAM:ultpikachu:
4th: ARMY:ultolimar:
5th: Fatality:ultfalcon:
5th: Awestin:ultness:
7th: MVD:ultsnake:
7th: AvoiD:ultsnake:
9th: Larry Lurr:ultfalco:
9th: Cheeks:ultcloud:
9th: Danbi:ultyoshi:
9th: Hakii:ultlink:

Other Notable Players Knocked Earlier
13th: Slither2Hunter:ultmetaknight:
17th: Zenyou:ultmario:
17th: JaySon:ultfox:
17th: Shadow_PR:ultbayonetta:
17th: SaSSy:ultrob::ultgunner:
25th: Karna:ultjoker:
25th: Sandstorm:ultryu:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Wizzrobe. Top 8 in Ultimate, and winner of Melee. What a player.
One of the best 64 players (the best :yoshi64: player). Top 20 (sometimes top 10) caliber Melee player (one of, if not, the best :falconmelee: player).
He is also very talented :marth: (Brawl), :sonic: (PM), and :4sheik: player to boot. And now his performance here with :ultwolf:.

Throw Wizzrobe a Smash game, and Wizzrobe just takes it under a scope and adapts to it. He is truly amazing.

Edit: Speaking of which, he just won the singles event for Melee singles in Smash'N'Splash.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
NAKAT:ultpichu: 2-3 Samsora:ultpeach::ultdaisy:
The funny thing about this set is that after Samsora lost the first two games, he counterpicked to Daisy and won the next three. lol
The power of the princess counterpick is strong, even if they are virtually the same character.

Dabuz:ultolimar: 3-0 Wizzrobe:ultwolf:
Not too big of a surprise, but very nice effort from Wizzrobe regardless. He just got top 8 in Ultimate singles and won the entire Melee singles event.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
One of the best 64 players (the best :yoshi64: player). Top 20 (sometimes top 10) caliber Melee player (one of, if not, the best :falconmelee: player).
He is also very talented :marth: (Brawl), :sonic: (PM), and :4sheik: player to boot. And now his performance here with :ultwolf:.

Throw Wizzrobe a Smash game, and Wizzrobe just takes it under a scope and adapts to it. He is truly amazing.

Edit: Speaking of which, he just won the singles event for Melee singles in Smash'N'Splash.
You'd think playing all these different yet similar smash games would mess with his head.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Ally:ultsnake: 3-1 VoiD:ultpichu::ultjoker:
After losing the first two games, VoiD's Joker came in and took game 3. However, Ally takes game 4 and moves on to winner's finals to fight the winner of Marss vs MkLeo.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
MkLeo:ultjoker: 3-1 Marss:ultzss:
MkLeo will fight Ally in winner's finals.

Samsora:ultpeach: 3-0 VoiD:ultjoker::ultpichu::ultsheik:
This eliminates VoiD at 5th place. Despite all the powers of the counterpick, Samsora simply gives VoiD the princess smack. I bet he can't wait for 3.1.0, where the smack doesn't kill until about 7% later. :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom