• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Smashified] What Would Ridley Look Like if He Were in Smash?

If you are a fan of seeing what you're favorite video game characters would look like in Smash 4, then you will be pleased to hear of the newest "Smashified" video. Smashified creates Smash Wii U renditions of the communities most heavily requested characters; you might remember their "Making the Rayman Leak" video from last year.

The team takes on Ridley in their latest upload, complete with original music and footage of the entire creation process (with added commentary). You can watch the full length video below, alternatively, you can skip to the finished product here.

All this hubbub may leave you asking, why wasn't Ridley ever added as a character in Smash? Well harking back to an IGN interview back in 2014, Masahiro Sakurai explained to the community why this was the case.

“I definitely know that Ridley’s a much-anticipated name for fans, but if we made Ridley as a fighter, it wouldn’t be Ridley any longer,” he said.

If the team were to adapt Ridley's model to Smash Bros. then it would "have to be shrunk down, or its wings reduced in size, or be unable to fly around freely.” And that, Sakurai summed up in this last quote, is not something they were ready to do.

“Providing accurate portrayals of characters is something I want to pay ample attention to,” he continued. “If I don’t stick to that thought, then we’d have to lower the quality or break the balance of the game. Something that goes way off spec could break the entire game.”

So while we probably won't be seeing Ridley in Smash 5, we can still take a peep to see what if. And that is still pretty cool.

Last edited:
William "Wncozens" Cozens

Comments

When I saw the 'leaked' screenshots from the SmashCon panel, I was a bit concerned. Between the blur and Ridley's positioning from the photos, I though Smashified may have actually messed up, even it it was an early render of it.

As always though, the team came though and made something badass. They really made the size issue work out. Plus, the video's commentary was great as always, and the music that went with it was outstanding.

Now here's hoping the Smash team take a good long look at Gargos in Killer Instinct because that guy is almost literally how Ridley should play.

If Sakurai is worried about Ridley's flight capabilities, he could give Ridley Brawl Meta Knight's movement options. That's more than enough.
Besides, Kirby can float infinitely in his games, yet a limited number in Smash. Why isn't that a character representation problem?

Top Bottom