• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

smashbros_sound.brsar is mean... (hacking sfx)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZidaneTribal

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,

I'm trying to learn about the sound effects format for Brawl, in hopes of extracting/playing them, and possibly replacing them with some new ones. Does anyone know anything about extracting the sound/voice files from the file "smashbros_sound.brsar" (located in the "sound" folder on the second partition of the disc)?

I know it's possible, since I've seen torrents of people having unpacked the smashbros_sound.brsar file completely, having the sounds in mp3, though I searched like crazy and couldn't find many (still active) help topics on how to do this.

So, the .brsar file in a hex editor, I can see the "RSAR" header (of course), but further in, after the names of all the files just under the header (i.e. snd_se_link_007) are without extensions, and upon locating where these files should be in the hex editor, I come across several ".rwsd" files, or at least files with the RWSD header.

You can check out a random .rwsd I manually extracted - and have NO idea how to play it... correctly. in_cube for Winamp won't play it, and neither will the standalone in_cube. I'm left with pretending the file is a raw audio file, and playing it through the default 44100khz, 16 bit, stereo mix with no interleave. When I do that, I can hear sounds being played fast, with lots of garbly audio over it. So I'm pretty lost.

<< -- You can grab the random .rwsd file here -- >>.

Any help would be really greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
ZidaneTribal

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I was the one to rip the sounds first, and one of the first to rip the soundtrack.

Whaddaya need?

ZidaneTribal

Smash Rookie
Wow, really? Nice going! What did you use to rip/convert them, and have them play? And are you able to convert other audio files into Brawl's format, like replace a few original ones? I understand they need to be the same length and all too.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I'm using some incredible tools. They're Mysterious Mysteries of Strange Mystery, though, so I'm afraid I can't hand them to you. In other, less jerkish words: I would give them to you if I knew where the hell I put them.

If you want any sound or music file, I can give it to you, as long as it is included in the sound data (the music jingles in Dedede's and Luigi's Final Smashes and the special taunt codecs for Snake and the Space Animals aren't, just saying).

What do you mean by "replace"? Do you mean if you're able to replace the stuff on Brawl's dics? Sorry, man, that's not possible. The disc is a ROM (Read Only Memory), you can't write stuff on it.
The content is burnt into the DVD, there's no possibility in changing it.

ZidaneTribal

Smash Rookie
It's possible to replace bytes of data that make up files on a game ISO using a hex editor. Then burning that to a DVD-R. But I won't get into backups. But that's how I'd replace the audio files. I've done it for other games.

I'll PM you in a bit.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Uh, yea. I've found the tools. But they're only able to convert from brstm into wav (which then were converted into mp3).
Unless you're able to re-program those tools, you won't be able to back-convert them.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
ZOMG! It's Zidane! Lol, I can't help you here.

Kanon7

Smash Rookie
I've been looking for a way to change sounds! Particularly Capt. Falcon's "FALCON PUNCH" but I've had no luck...
Also, is there a way to change the iso itself? (like remaking it with folder-to-iso or something?) I remember a while back, a team made a program (called GHOST) that could change the songs in Guitar Hero 3's iso file.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
There is a SFX guide in the Smash Workshop forum if you need it, but please don't bump 18-month-old topics. :p Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom