• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Write- Editor Interview (#5) - DtJ Composer!

Welcome to SmashBoards Writer's Interviews! This is a series that will appear at least twice every month covering a writer (or someone important to making the front page the way it is). These are more casual interviewers, but edepending on the interviewer, they can be asked further questions by the users!

This week, after quite a long wait, we have SmashBoards writer DtJ Composer! Well, more-so editor. Taking the hard working role of editors before him, he's a one man team that skims over articles to get them to the quality they need to be. It's a lot on his back, but he's definitely been a help from the shadows on board. With jazz hands and a jazz band, welcome DtJ Composer!

DtJ Composer in his usual... habitat? Even I've got nothing. Look, straw hats!

Thirdkoopa: Tell us a little bit about yourself!

DtJ Composer: Well let's get this started,

I've been playing Smash since Brawl's release. You may have (not) heard of me as one of Brawl's premier (lie) Samus mains (insane). I also founded DtJ, who run tournament in Indianapolis, and I was a part of the Brawl Minus dev team during their glory days. I've been around the block a few times.

Thirdkoopa: How did you get roped on board to the SmashBoards Writing Staff?

DtJ Composer: I actually asked Xiivi about it, because it seemed like there were plenty of people eager to write articles for the budding front page, but the editing situation was apparently a little odd. I thought maybe it'd be nice just to have someone floating around to look over articles every once in awhile.

Thirdkoopa: What inspires your work on Smashboards?

DtJ Composer: Video Games. I dunno I just like editing stuff and I like smash, so it seems to go hand in hand.

Thirdkoopa: Where do you see the community heading in the future?

DtJ Composer: I "eSports" the correct answer? I think a lot of people are scared of the term or the concept, but I think as gaming gets more mainstream, it's totally fine that Smash somehow snuck on the "eSports" boxcar. Growth of the community is beautiful, and we're seeing an unprecedented growth right now. I'd be surprised if it stopped anytime soon.

Thirdkoopa: How did you get into Smash Bros?

DtJ Composer: Me and my friends used to go to each other's houses and play this game where we'd pick DK in Smash 64 and pretend like Hyrule Castle was this huge Kingdom and that we were each in charge of a different part and were trying to conquer each other's Kingdoms.
My friends talked me and my brother into going to our first competitivesmash tournament when Brawl came out. We went to this local gaming center and got like 17th in this doubles tournament. Nothing great, but we had fun and we met people who I am still friends with to this day, even what feels like a hundred years later.

Thirdkoopa: Personal favorite stage?

DtJ Composer: Smash 64 - I always though Metal Cavern was the coolest but Peach's Castle was my favorite playable stage
Melee - Brinstar Depths and #FreePokéFloats
Brawl - Pictochat forever
Smash 4 - Prism Tower was my jam, but turns out I still really like Peach's Castle. Can I use the same answer twice???

Thirdkoopa: How about favorite character?

DtJ Composer: Metroid is my favorite game series, so my cheating answer is Samus. But Pac-Man is easily my favorite addition to the Smash roster.

Thirdkoopa: How long have you been editing on SmashBoards for?

DtJ Composer: Uh... probably longer than half a year? I honestly don't remember. Time is hard.

Thirdkoopa: What's it like being a SmashBoards editor?

DtJ Composer: Sometimes people have really good article ideas that just need a little help wording that idea. Sometimes people write an article and throw it straight up without checking it. Sometimes people pretty much know what they're doing and don't actually need my help. A lot of the articles fall in-between, though, and that makes the job pretty smooth.
The writers are pretty cool and easy to interact with, too, which helps a ton!

Thirdkoopa: Have you done any editing before?

DtJ Composer: Minimally. I've looked over people's papers, yadda yadda. It's just something I've always thought I'd like to do, and I thought doing it for Smashboards would be a good environment to learn.

Thirdkoopa: Is there any personal goal you have in the Smash Community?

DtJ Composer: Well in Brawl I wanted to be known for playing Samus. Which... kind of happened? Not exactly in the "he's the best" kind of way but hey, you take what you can get!
Now I just want to be known as a premier TO. I'm working on it!

Thirdkoopa: Outside of Smash Bros., what other hobbies do you partake in?

DtJ Composer: I'm pretty good at bowling! I know that's not like... the most wicked powerful sport but you know.
I play the Pokemon TCG, I play a little EDH when I can, I have a love/hate relationship with Hearthstone, and I love board games. Me and my friends are pretty into Destiny right now.

You know. All the usual stuff.

Thirdkoopa: Wow. TCG's. I've been getting back into those lately! Favorite Games?

DtJ Composer: METROID ALL OF THEM (even Other M came at me haterrrrzzzzzz)
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards is tied with Super Mario Sunshine for my favorite non-Metroid game.
Also Morrowind is the best forever.

Thirdkoopa: Anything else you would like to tell us about yourself?

DtJ Composer: Did you know having the tag "Composer" makes it almost impossible to namesearch? Don't make the same mistake I did!

Thirdkoopa: Would you be up for answering questions in the users comment?

DtJ Composer: Sure! As long as it's ok if I'm not checking it every day because I get pretty busy (I'm running two events this weekend!).

Where can people more interested in knowing you get to reach you at?

DtJ Composer: Well if something here caught your fancy (maybe you wanna talk about EDH or Hearthstone??????), you can follow me on twitter @Th3Composer. I don't know if I'm the most interesting person though, so fair warning!

Thirdkoopa: Thanks for your time! Keep up the amazing work.

Once again as the jazz band closes, give it up for DtJ Composer! Check out his twitter here and please, at least give him a thank for the work he does. While you're at it, if you enjoyed the interview, contact the interviewer himself here! Stay tuned sometime over the next two weeks. Next month will feature an interview with an administrator - Which one? Tune in and find out!

Last edited:
Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

When I first saw the picture, I seriously thought it was CC Kris from 'The Smash Pros' documentary. (I'm referring to the parody version, not the real version)

Also, L E G A L I Z E P O K E F L O A T S :yeahboi:

Always cool to get a look behind the scenes at the people who make the articles look polished. Editors don't get enough credit for what they do, you know?

"Smash 4 - Prism Tower was my jam, but turns out I still really like Peach's Castle. Can I use the same answer twice???"
Seriously, bruh? Everyone knows that Omega FD is the most interesting stage of all time...

Top Bottom