• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards was hacked BY GHOSTS

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Link to original post: Smashboards was hacked BY GHOSTS

Attention all users:

Around 6:15 this evening, Smashboards was hacked by what looks like a ragtag group of angry spirits with nothing left to lose. They replaced /index.php with a static page stating that Smashboards was hacked with a looping video, which we have determined was merely a cover for their infiltration of your houses and probably children. We're not 100% sure of the intrusion mechanism, but we're fairly certain that it can attributed to the fact that SWFs servers were built over an Indian burial ground and are filled with cursed treasures (either that or the ghosts are just really really smart. Like, Einstein's ghost. Man can you even imagine.)

Smashboards.com parent company, Major Leagues Gaming, in house development studio Agora Games was quick to respond and took the following actions.

* Called in the finest exorcist in the land
* Burned all the money received for premium membership (ghosts are TERRIFIED of burning money)
* Promised the ghosts that if they would just step out for a moment, we could clean and straighten up for them and they would be much more comfortable

Upon cleaning up and burning the cash we have not been attacked again since. We believe this threat to have been mitigated, but we will continue monitoring, just to be safe.

It also appears many sites across the net were also attacked leading further credibility to the likelihood this having been a REALLY big group of ghosts. Possibly all of them. We do not currently believe any user information to have been sent into the afterlife nor was the attack done with any malicious intent but will continue to investigate the situation. This thread will continue to be updated with any additional information.

Note: We also considered that it could be a giant group of zombie hackers but resident expert EE confirmed that "if it were zombies, I would be able to feel it. Sexually, you know?"

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
I'm getting word now that site admin, MLG_JV is claiming that the site was attacked by a group of "hackers". Do not, under any circumstances, believe this claim. We have overwhelming evidence that he himself is the king of all ghosts, and is attempting to draw our attention away from his master plans.

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Exactly what the ghosts wanted you to do. They simply had to observe your browsing patterns and are no doubt planning to use that information to one day steal your body and assume your identity.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
I feel much safer knowing the danger has been averted. Thank you SWF admins, for making the forums feel safer, one ectoplasmic crisis at a time =0

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I'm honestly not certain that zombies have the capacity to hack -- although hacking is obviously a low-cognitive activity, it seems ever so slightly beyond the abilities of a sub-species with the approximate intelligence of an insect. Of course, I admit that's rather speculative.

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
But EE, what if we were talking about zombies of like, really nerdy guys. Men who have spent so much time programming and hacking in life that it has literally become a part of their very being.

tera twin

Smash Journeyman
Ghosts hacking ur smashboardz interupting ur theorycrafting and stuffz

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
We'd need more research. If one could do SO MUCH PROGRAMMING that it overwrites the base needs of feeding and mating... hmmmmm...

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
I don't know about feeding but I'm DEFINITELY sure my old college roommate had moved beyond any breeding capabilities.

Matunas

I'm a monster!
BRoomer
NNID
Matunas
This is of grave concern. There may be the need to call somebody.. but who are we going to call?

Spire

III
BRoomer
I think it's quite obvious that neither zombies or ghosts hacked Smashboards. We were hacked by... zombie goasts.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Glyph, I just checked this thread and I was nothing short of scared.

I believe some of our phantasmal "friends" are leaking through the computer world and appearing from the screen in what I've seen in many pictures- orbs. They look a lot like smudges, but I will not be so easily deceived. I have taken appropriate measures against this trans-dimensional flux and sprayed some Windex.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
It were the CYLONS you fools!

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
Good thing Weegee sucked up the ghosts through the Internet. Hopefully people will pay attention to him now.

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Goldshadow you may just be on to something there, it would certainly explain their hacking prowess and desire to take human form (the only way to claim our most precious resource, love domestic oil)

Many of you may have noticed SWF recently went down again, during which you would have seen the following error:

Seems harmless enough, just a bunch of technobabble, right?

WRONG

Take a look at the following images, and you can arrive at your own conclusion about what really happened to SWF on 5/5/11

[collapse=Warning don't click if you aren't ready to have your mind blown]
[/collapse]

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Dear god.

I hope things don't take a turn for the worse, truly, I don't, but... I'm going to get all my affairs in order, just in case.

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Its a smart move Goldshadow, we have no idea how much damage has already been done.

Everyone, I recommend you write a letter to your loved ones, just in case things take a turn for the worst. Also, if you know the "Ghost-Away" Dance, now would be the time to perform it.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Maybe if we spam pics of Bill Murray all over the forum it will repel the hackers.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Ghosts are bad. They do bad things. Sometimes not, but I don't know. Oh boy, I'mma scared mommy. Call Jill into the barn and fetch the crew stick.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
But EE, what if we were talking about zombies of like, really nerdy guys. Men who have spent so much time programming and hacking in life that it has literally become a part of their very being.
Impossible. Solanum changes every single bit of the living brain so that they are essentially an entirely new creature upon virus-inflicted (and ONLY solanum inflicted) death. There is nothing left of the original host. At. All.

This explanation also disproves the myth that Zombies might show mercy to loved ones or that they hang around old, familiar places.

:phone:

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Well that's a relief, but zombie goasts are known for retaining their own identity as a human (even possessing the ability to communicate).

And its still to early to rule out that the attackers were in fact robo-ghosts as well. We're pretty much in the dark right now.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Well that's a relief, but zombie goasts are known for retaining their own identity as a human (even possessing the ability to communicate).

And its still to early to rule out that the attackers were in fact robo-ghosts as well. We're pretty much in the dark right now.
Wait, so this is a non-solanum-based infection? I want to say that this is impossible; all other "methods" never result in a true zombie.

Robo-ghosts sounds like a far more likely possiblity.

:phone:

Top Bottom