• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Update June - Feedback and Issues Thread

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Hey everyone! Today's upgrade has completed and the dust is beginning to settle as the caches catch up and the rough edges get tidied up.

Update Progress.jpg

This will be a general thread for all feedback and issues specifically around the update.

Let me know of any weirdness you encounter that may have slipped through the cracks and I'll get it fixed up as quick as possible!

The color variations are the most recent thing that has been reinstated. The Premium Blue is on the roadmap currently, as well as the Project M theme

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Probably best to post this here rather than twitter lol

There is a leak forum from the pre-Smash 4 days that I went too a lot that I occasionally check back on when new leaks crop up. It's inactive/closed, but the pages are there to remember what was what during the Smash 4 leak-era -

https://smashboards.com/social-forums/nintendo-leaks.1691/

I was wondering if this was deleted during the maintenance or if it's just moved in terms of web address or will be back up in a few hours as things settle out. It was active as recently as last night.

Last edited:

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Probably best to post this here rather than twitter lol

There is a leak forum from the pre-Smash 4 days that I went too a lot that I occasionally check back on when new leaks crop up. It's inactive/closed, but the pages are there to remember what was what during the Smash 4 leak-era -

https://smashboards.com/social-forums/nintendo-leaks.1691/

I was wondering if this was deleted during the maintenance or if it's just moved in terms of web address or will be back up in a few hours as things settle out. It was active as recently as last night.
Part of this upgrade involved the loss of groups unfortunately. The data is archived and I'm still looking into options for bringing them back, but I have nothing to share at the moment

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Well... I only have some nitpicks.
Websites becomes a bit mobile unfriendly. A page having Twitter tweet in it will cause a space on the right.

Now sure why you can only press the "jump to new" on the top of the thread and not the bottom as well...

And themes are mostly gone, but they will come back right?

Edit:oh it is back but Urgh...
The new Garnet theme wasn't as it was before....

Probably go to Ruby color then...

And the face that "Edit" is under the "..." in mobile is a bit bothersome as well.

Last edited:

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
The main background for the website appears as white no matter what theme I use. (This one's been fixed, thanks!)
Also, avatars are getting stretched.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
For some reason, I can't type any messages when I use my iPad's safari. The site still runs smoothly, but there's no text box or anything for me to type in.

Haven't had this problem with any of my other devices.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It looks like the option to go invisible (hiding your last date of visit and activity from standard users) is gone. Is that going to return at some point? I've preferred using that option for privacy's sake.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Is there a chance we could get a white/blue theme? I think it was called Tournament before, or something similar at least. I've been using that color scheme for all of my years on Smashboards, so it's difficult to transition away from.

PierceWantsToSmash

Smash Cadet
NNID
PierceSutton
For some reason I can't seem to scroll with my mouse anymore on this webpage and my signature doesn't show up. Also if you could bring back the tier list tab and newest posts box that would be great.

Edit: I found the the newest post page.

Last edited:

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
- Tweet embeds fixed on all resolutions
- YouTube embeds include timestamps again
- Gfycat embeds fixed
- Twitch embeds fixed on all resolutions

Is there a chance we could get a white/blue theme? I think it was called Tournament before, or something similar at least. I've been using that color scheme for all of my years on Smashboards, so it's difficult to transition away from.
Tourmaline is a work in progress, will be back soon!

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Something that really, really, really bugs me is how there seems to be less space for the content of posts than the site implies...

It's kinda hard to explain, so here's some pictures from this very thread so you get to see what I mean.

1528226497845.png

1528226536277.png

EDIT: The issue isn't there on the Smashboards Classic theme, but every other theme has it.

Last edited:

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Something that really, really, really bugs me is how there seems to be less space for the content of posts than the site implies...

EDIT: The issue isn't there on the Smashboards Classic theme, but every other theme has it.
Classic is narrower than the other themes. This max width is in place to help with reading as lines that are too long are more difficult to follow

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Classic is narrower than the other themes. This max width is in place to help with reading as lines that are too long are more difficult to follow
That makes sense, I guess, but why is that max width shorter than the actual space on a post?

Like, what's the point of the extra space then?

EDIT: It's even on profile posts? Really?

1528229099823.png

btw, nice to see the character limit removed on profile posts

Last edited:

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Like I said, I suck at explaining sometimes lol

I'm referring to the space left unused because of the max width you put (aka the red circles in my original post about it)
Yeah, I explained that the post text will only go to a certain size for readability reasons. Removing that empty space would involved making the whole site that narrow

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Yeah, I explained that the post text will only go to a certain size for readability reasons. Removing that empty space would involved making the whole site that narrow
Oh.

But I gotta ask, would it be possible to have an option where we can either make it as narrow as that witdh you mentionned and/or just have the text be as wide as the actual space for it?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
The new search engine is kinda unreliable for me. I can only get one page of history from searching in it, and in my case (from when I last checked), posts that date back to 2014 only. Searching for particular words doesn’t do any good for me either, the site always tells me that it couldn’t find any results.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Oh.

But I gotta ask, would it be possible to have an option where we can either make it as narrow as that witdh you mentionned and/or just have the text be as wide as the actual space for it?
I'll see if I can do that

The new search engine is kinda unreliable for me. I can only get one page of history from searching in it, and in my case (from when I last checked), posts that date back to 2014 only. Searching for particular words doesn’t do any good for me either, the site always tells me that it couldn’t find any results.
Search index is still being rebuilt. Should be fully up to date again soon

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I'm gonna sound really annoying because it's like, the fifth time I bring up something, but...

What happened with the ability to see the previous usernames of members in their profiles?

I don't really mind whether or not it's brought back, but I'm still curious about what happened to that feature.

EDIT: Also, I can't see if someone is following me anymore unless I actively go to see that someone is following me in my profile page. Before, there'd be this nice pop-up when hovering over the Follow button that would say it or even a little bit of text on another member's page. Pretty nitpicky, I know. :p

Last edited:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
The strikethrough text option is still missing as is the save/delete drafts on mobile. Not sure if the latter two if they were removed but they were rather handy with seeing if there was any new posts without having to refresh lol. If i know the Code for strikethrough text that could be a replacement but a bit of a pain since the ending code would also need to be added..

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
The strikethrough text option is still missing as is the save/delete drafts on mobile. Not sure if the latter two if they were removed but they were rather handy with seeing if there was any new posts without having to refresh lol. If i know the Code for strikethrough text that could be a replacement but a bit of a pain since the ending code would also need to be added..
They're on desktop, so no they're not gone.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
The last forum update years ago already got rid of regular BR, MBR, BBR and 4BR's special colored names. Now we don't even have banners anymore.
[Citation needed]

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
The site looks infinitely better when zoomed out to 90%. I think the main problem I have with the default view is that the page is too wide (pages get harder to read past a certain width). I also feel like the default text size is too large, but that might just be me, and that complaint might go away if the page wasn't as wide. Would it be possible to adjust the page width and font size, or make them preference options (or is it already a preference option that I turned on/off unknowingly)?

It looks like the option to go invisible (hiding your last date of visit and activity from standard users) is gone. Is that going to return at some point? I've preferred using that option for privacy's sake.
I was curious about this one too. Turns out the setting is located under privacy settings now.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
The site looks infinitely better when zoomed out to 90%. I think the main problem I have with the default view is that the page is too wide (pages get harder to read past a certain width). I also feel like the default text size is too large, but that might just be me, and that complaint might go away if the page wasn't as wide. Would it be possible to adjust the page width and font size, or make them preference options (or is it already a preference option that I turned on/off unknowingly)?
Try the Smashboards Classic theme. It's narrower

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Hey, so, i need help. My Computer keeps making random sounds like saying "Can" and "Come on" My Brother says it's smashboards. i don't think it is but I'm gonna ask anyway.

Edit: This started when i joined Smash boards, and when i muted the tab the noises stopped playing. What's up with that?

Last edited:

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
I have a problem regarding the new Ultimate icons.

They're not visible on Chrome, but they are on Firefox and Safari.
Is there a way for either you guys or me to fix it?

EDIT: They are visible on the "main list", but the emoticon aren't.
In other words, I can see the little Ganon silhoutte on the bottom left of this message, but if I write :ultganondorf: I just don't.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I have a problem regarding the new Ultimate icons.

They're not visible on Chrome, but they are on Firefox and Safari.
Is there a way for either you guys or me to fix it?

EDIT: They are visible on the "main list", but the emoticon aren't.
In other words, I can see the little Ganon silhoutte on the bottom left of this message, but if I write :ultganondorf: I just don't.
Try clearing your browser cache.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Not sure if this is just my computer or not but pages on the site never seem to stop loading. Like, the page loads and everything is visible and I can type messages and like messages and all of that but the icon on the tab is the loading symbol rather than SB and the reload button is always on the stop loading part. Not sure what it's trying to load and failing to.

Also, typing this on my desktop but I have picture proof that I can add to this post in a bit from my phone that shows that pictures don't seem to load on mobile and also, warnings don't censor cursewords.

2 incredibly minor things but if you scroll down, there's no longer the option at the top part that follows you to go straight to the home page. Best I can do is click on any of the other options, get taken to that page and then click on 'Smashboards' to get back to the homepage or to just scroll up. There also doesn't seem to be a way to go to different pages from the top, only at the bottom. This is only really a pain on mobile since you have to scroll all the way down to the bottom just to be able to choose what page you want to go to (or alternatively, you could type in the page number you want in the url but that requires knowing what page is the most recent if that's what you're looking for).

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
2 incredibly minor things but if you scroll down, there's no longer the option at the top part that follows you to go straight to the home page. Best I can do is click on any of the other options, get taken to that page and then click on 'Smashboards' to get back to the homepage or to just scroll up.
The homepage currently is 'Feed', so you can always click that. On mobile, the logo is in the nav bar and can be clicked to do the same thing easily.

There also doesn't seem to be a way to go to different pages from the top, only at the bottom. This is only really a pain on mobile since you have to scroll all the way down to the bottom just to be able to choose what page you want to go to (or alternatively, you could type in the page number you want in the url but that requires knowing what page is the most recent if that's what you're looking for).
Page navigation exists at both the top and bottom of the page

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
The homepage currently is 'Feed', so you can always click that. On mobile, the logo is in the nav bar and can be clicked to do the same thing easily.

Page navigation exists at both the top and bottom of the page
Was unaware of the 'feed' option so that clears that up.
Attaching 2 screenshots from my phone. One shows a post that should display an image but doesn't and the other shows the top of a page. Jump to new is there and is the main option needed but I don't see an option to jump to specific pages. Granted, the old format only let you go forward or back 2 pages so it's incredibly minor and changing the number in the url does that anyways or going to the bottom
Screenshot_20180619-112852_Samsung Internet.jpg

I seem to have deleted the screenshot showing a warning with an uncensored curse word but I did attach it to a post in the SSBU speculation thread so I'll see about finding it and edit it into this post if I can. Screenshot_20180620-171619_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Was unaware of the 'feed' option so that clears that up.
Attaching 2 screenshots from my phone. One shows a post that should display an image but doesn't
Can you link the thread/post in question?

If you click the dots on desktop, you can select a specific page
1529530166531.png

On mobile, it's the page counter
Screenshot_20180620-172705_Firefox.jpg

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Attaching something I noticed while reading last night. Warnings don't censor curse words?

Also, I don't have a picture of this but pictures added to posts don't seem to load properly on mobile. Or maybe it's just my phone. With this in mind, where does one go anyways to give feedback on the site?
For those who missed it.

Also he be birdie :3

There's my post with the failed censor attached and the first example I saw was that post by Pakky but it happens with a lot of posts. Might just be gif posts and I'm attaching a screenshot to show it fails on mobile. Works fine on desktop and the gifs even show up fine as I type this on mobile.
Screenshot_20180620-181504_Samsung Internet.jpg

Top Bottom