• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Update Approaching!

Hey everyone! It's been a while since we've had one of these site update posts and I'm happy to say it's going to be a big one this time.

Update Approaching.jpg

On Sunday June 3rd, we'll be rolling out a large update to Smashboards to update to the latest version of our forum software. We're expecting the website to be unavailable for a large portion of the day and we apologize in advance for the inconvenience. XenForo has served us well over the past years and we're very happy to be sticking with it going forward in 2018.

For longtime users and new ones alike, this upgrade will mean a sleeker and cleaner experience that both desktop and mobile users should appreciate. This is a major version upgrade which means all of the additional functionality we currently make use of is not compatible in it's current form.

Never fear however, as a large portion of site functionality we currently use extensions for are built into the new version. For all the others we will be migrating to newer extensions with no data loss except for a couple exceptions detailed farther down this post. A big thanks again to @Jaxel of 8WayRun for his excellent products that power our news portal, rankings, events and soon streams!

Most of the features you've come to love and enjoy over the past few years will all be sticking around, with the below exceptions.

Groups
Unfortunately at the time of this post, Groups will not be making the jump over to the new site.

At bare minimum the current Groups data will not be lost and will be archived in a hidden forum. If in the future we are able to bring back Groups, we'll do our best to bring back the archived data.

Login/Link with Smashboards
Another thing that will be disappearing with this upgrade is the ability to log in with your Smashboards account on Squidboards and link your account with Smashgg. The announcement on Squidboards has all the details for what will change there.

Our ranking system automatically ties your results on Smashgg events to your Smashboards account when the event is added to our system.This will continue to work for users that have linked their accounts already.

Temporarily disappearing is the ability for NEW users to link their account.

Make sure to link your accounts over on smash.gg before June 3rd if you haven't done so yet!

We'll update everyone if anything changes for the above two features.

Others
The following things are less impactful but will also be disappearing
- Increased Avatar height for Premium users
- Access to past April Fools skins for Premium users

Aside from these, all of the functionality of Smashboards you know and love will be back and better than ever after the upgrade.

Looking forward to seeing you guys in June and I hope you're excited to see the new look! Let us know what you're hoping to see down in the comments

Warchamp7

Comments

D
*sees logo*

Oh, hey! I noticed you took a note from my concepts featured in the Disco Room from 2016. You probably know what I'm talking about Warchamp7 Warchamp7 .

Reading the article, it sounds more like a downgrade than an upgrade, if I'm gonna be honest.

The removed services don't really affect me, but I know people are gonna miss the April Fools skins. RIP. :034:

The loss of an increased avatar height will feel inconvenient, but going Premium would still be good if you don't want to get spammed by random advertisements.

D
The increased avatar height is why I purchased premium a few weeks ago...

D
Warchamp7 Warchamp7

is there any way taller avatars could return? or at the least make the default avatars tall?

Warchamp7 Warchamp7 Is there a style sheet for Melee players or even just a plain style? I'm sorry, but seeing Smash 4 characters on the side of every page just makes me cringe.

Top Bottom