• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Staff Predicts the Next DLC Character

67FE9A5D-68A9-4F0F-9ECA-AD1658406E75.jpeg

We are all excited about the possibility of the fifth character (technically sixth counting The Plant) being revealed and the threads are abuzz with fighter pass and leak talk. The Smashboards Writing and Moderating Staff wants to weigh in on our prediction picks for the new fighter! Each response is varied and provides an insightful look into the character, the series, and why they think this character will be the next fighter. Please be civil in the comment section and attacking someone for their choice in characters is not permitted.

Smashboards News Staff

@Thirdkoopa / Content Manager

33B5E790-01C6-4DEC-A2C7-71DFF2661164.png

Chosen Undead (Dark Souls)

Picking to write about Dark Souls for me is a bit dry; while it’s not the pick I’m the most familiar with, it’s definitely a pick that I think is probable. It’s a hard toss-up out of any third-parties left, but it practically has all the checks: FromSoftware’s recent games, specifically the Souls series, have made a huge dent on the gaming industry. it’s an IP directly by the company that helps on Super Smash Bros (Namco Bandai). It has popularity in every region. The first game is now on the Switch. The biggest questions lingering are if they have an interest in adding in a Dark Souls character, and if so, who it would be. Chosen Undead fits the bill pretty well (the protagonist of the first Dark Souls), but it could be anything. Well, chances are it’d be a protagonist, but still.

@ZeroSoul / Associate Content Manager

A4D2E7DB-7EA9-42DD-8D99-88AA07F264B7.png

Steve (Minecraft)

I don’t think any character at this point is really likely, but if I had to bet on one I’d go with Minecraft’s Steve. For starters, Minecraft is a massive presence in the gaming world, pretty much everyone has at least heard of it before. Then you’ve got the fact that all 4 of the revealed Fighters Pass characters have been third party. Minecraft is owned by Microsoft so Steve would definitely fit the bill there. And speaking of Microsoft, they own Banjo & Kazooie, so we know Nintendo has talked with them before. I also find it a little suspicious that Steve wasn’t added as a Mii Costume or Spirit in the Ver. 5.0.0. Patch. You’d think Microsoft would want to sneak in some Minecraft content and that would have been the perfect time to do that.

Scribe Scribe / Managing Editor

94E1C50A-D170-4E6D-A524-3B1B6A1F4A54.jpeg

Kunio/Alex (River City Ransom)

This is probably something of a dark horse pick, but I think Kunio has a lot more going for him than most people realize. The Kunio-kun franchise spawned some of the most iconic beat-em-ups and action sports games in the NES library, including Renegade, Super Dodge Ball, River City Ransom and Nintendo World Cup. The series has also been in the middle of a revival as of late, with the release of River City Ransom Underground in 2017 and River City Girls in 2019, the latter of which received a Switch release. It’s also worth noting that, much like Terry, Kunio’s source material was a major inspiration for Smash’s design, acting as a major source of inspiration for Smash’s randomness and item mechanics. As for his moveset, I could easily see him having a mix of close-range hand-to hand attacks with some options for item play, perhaps with a move that pulls out a random item projectile or even a battering item based on one of the weapons from his home series, such as a lead pipe or a chain.

T thelastgogeta / Contributor

CE78FD09-426E-44FF-849E-D4A1B337BC4F.png

Wonder-Red (The Wonderful 101)

I have the sense that we will see another change of pace for the final character of this Fighters Pass, which is why I feel Wonder-Red, perhaps solo or uniting with other Wonderful Ones, seems compellingly possible as an inclusion from a recent game.

This comes from general attributes like his first party status and how the director of The Wonderful 101, Hideki Kamiya, also directed the original Bayonetta. It also extends to mechanics as Wonder-Red wields an abundance of utility with his Unite Hand, which can be held to shield and collect flames but also serves as a punching/grabbing/tickling weapon which can be scaled up for power far beyond his own size in exchange for mobility and speed. The shenanigans could be endless with the consideration of command specials, other Unite Morphs/weapons (Claws, Boomerangs and Drills to name a few) and the ability to summon other characters using their own.
I’m not done overexplaining as it is also worth considering how close PlatinumGames appear to be with Nintendo with Astral Chain having released this August, Bayonetta 3 being announced for the Nintendo Switch and the public allusions to a port of The Wonderful 101 for Switch from the development studio.

Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom / Contributor and Ultimate/News Moderator

54C1CA0E-59A0-46A0-B72E-9517DEFEC7CA.png

2B (NieR Automata)

2B is from the critically acclaimed game NieR Automata. She is basically an android from the future who can do all sorts of crazy stuff such as summoning two blades in combat. She has a plethora of techniques and abilities that would translate well into Smash. This also includes Pod 042, a robotic helper who can either spray a storm of bullets or grant 2B special abilities. While 2B is a Square-Enix character, the game was developed by PlantinumGames who was also responsible for Astral Chain, Wonderful 101, and Bayonetta. Nier Automata has plenty of content that is suitable for Smash including a location from the series as a stage, a wide variety of spirits, and an amazingly beautiful soundtrack with musical tracks While having a second SE rep as a DLC fighter isn’t probable, I do think 2B has a decent chance given her unique abilities, a totally workable Smash moveset, popularity, and the fact Sakurai likes the game

Smashboards Site Staff

AEMehr AEMehr / Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
206E90BB-985B-4868-B8D0-88EB298FE1E5.png
Professor Layton (Professor Layton)

I dunno this may just be me hoping that Sakurai will shine mercy upon me and create a character I want, but I think he has a solid chance. The fighters in the Fighters Pass so far have heavier popularity in certain regions over others: Dragon Quest in Japan, Banjo-Kazooie in the United States, Fatal Fury / The King of Fighters in Latin American countries, with Persona 5 being a somewhat universal pick. Theoretically, what's left is something particularly popular in European regions which is where I think Layton could surprise many. As a fighter I would imagine him to be very unorthodox, like playing him is somewhat of a puzzle in itself. Several attacks having sweet spots that hit at weird angles, which means you need to optimize your knowledge of how he works to use him effectively. It emphasizes his core gameplay to thinking outside of the box to use his awkward hitboxes, like you would have to look at the various puzzles in a variety of ways.

UltimaLuminaire UltimaLuminaire
/ Super Smash Bros. Ultimate / Bowser

6F493043-5B99-4C73-909D-7DE8B52E54A8.jpeg

Oda Nobunaga (Dynasty Warriors)

As we enter the final fighter in the Season 1 Fighter Pass there are a couple observations to be made. Sakurai has consistently prioritized IPs and studios with a major impact on the history of Japanese game development, Nintendo’s history, or a personal impact on his growth as a game dev. If it can meet 2 of those conditions, the better. Combined with his statement that he does not want to represent a studio or IP that already has some form of representation in Smash Ultimate, I feel we must look to what currently remains. Of the studios that have had a major impact in Japanese game development who still have (or are currently having) an amazing relationship with Nintendo, I can think of no better than Koei Tecmo who helped make the critically acclaimed Fire Emblem: Three Houses. They are also currently opening the way for Persona 5 Scramble on the Switch, further destroying Sony’s hopes of keeping main P5 entries on their system, and are responsible for a slew of successful Musou games on Nintendo platforms.

If you dig into the history of Koei Tecmo, their Musou games really shot off in the PS2 era, completely setting the tone for future beat-em-ups and enjoyable button-mashing action games for generations. However, before all of that, Koei Tecmo made their biggest splash with grand strategy. That’s right, I’m talking Romance of the Three Kingdoms and, more importantly, Ambition of Nobunaga, the IP that put Koei Tecmo on the map in the first place. These games are the origin and building blocks of all the Japanese grand strategy games to come after, whether it be the influence on game design or music (featuring Yoko Kanno, no less). Even modern doujin games in the market make consistent reference to these games of old, with Oda Nobunaga being a cornerstone not only for Koei Tecmo’s brand, but for Japan’s love of reinventing historical figures in the context of their own modern mythology.

Coincidentally, Oda Nobunaga has even found himself in the world of Pokémon in the oft forgotten Pokémon Conquest. No boundaries can hold him. Oda Nobunaga is man, demon, and demi-god, as far as Japanese media has taken him, and I can think of no better rep for the final entry in the Season 1 Fighter Pass than the fool of Oda himself.

Mic_128 Mic_128 - Site Admin
8A381CE1-9AE9-4665-9D62-C4B7BD61DF04.jpeg
Cranky Kong (Donkey Kong)

While I was tempted to suggest a certain blue-suited lawyer in response to AEMehr’s suggestions (One of which I have no objections to, hurr hurr) I think it’s possible that Cranky Kong could make an appearance.

The Donkey Kong franchise has seen the long-time rival of the Kongs, K.Rool make an entrance, it’s possible that the original Donkey Kong could make a return. It’s not as unlikely as you’d think. After all, he was a playable character in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, a much more active role than he’s ever had, despite his age.

His age is something that would also be unique in Smash. There’s not really any characters you would say are ‘old,’and I’m sure that could give a few interesting attacks, as well as his trusty walking stick. I mean, let’s be honest. Wouldn’t you like to just whack some whippersnappers over the head with a hunk of wood? Get off m’ platform, gosh dangit!

@Megadoomer / Moderator - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

E5819AEB-DAE8-4A17-A96C-AD1DA778A4D6.png

Doomguy/The Doom Slayer/Doom Marine (Doom)

At this point, I have no idea who to realistically expect. For me, the current DLC line-up has been a mix of completely unexpected characters, characters that I thought were impossible (or at least unlikely), and Hero (and even then, I figured that Erdrick would be the main Dragon Quest hero). If I had to pick one, the main character of Doom (whatever you want to call him) seems like the sort of pick that makes a ton of sense (the series has a long history on Nintendo consoles, stretching back to the SNES, and heavily influenced an entire genre) and also seems incredibly unlikely at first glance (most people couldn’t picture Doomguy alongside Mario, Pikachu, or Kirby).

Some might claim that the gory nature of Doom, or its depiction of Hell, make its inclusion in Smash seem impossible, but games like Quake Champions and Smash characters like Ridley show that characters (and, in the case of Quake Champions, Doomguy specifically) can be brutal without blood spewing everywhere. His Glory Kills (minus the actual killing part) give him a lot of options for melee attacks, and even if shotguns are ruled out, he still has plenty of energy weapons, explosives, and a chainsaw to work with for specials. As for the stage, a lot of the third party stages tend to be from early on in the games, so they could easily go with a UAC base on Mars. While Doom may not have been the first example of its genre, much like Street Fighter and Dragon Quest, it almost single-handedly popularized it, and that alone seems enough to justify its inclusion in Smash Bros. while still being a surprise pick for most people.

@NonSpecterificGuy

EDFBC0E3-51AE-4C54-8C95-6667920291A9.jpeg

Altaï Ibn-La'Ahad/Ezio Auditore (Assassin’s Creed)

I personally believe that this next character is going to be quite a shock. So I targeted a character that is not only feasible in the grand-scheme but also likely when taking in the account of popularity and relevancy. With Assassin's Creed being Ubisoft's most popular and profitable franchise, Ubisoft's connection with Nintendo through multiple collaborations like Mario + Rabbids and Starlink, and the fact that Grant Kirkhope was introduced to Sakurai through Ubisoft, I think saying that a Ubisoft character has a shot is putting it lightly. With the Rabbids and Rayman also being represented in Smash already as Spirits I feel like this might be the perfect out-of-nowhere choice that Sakurai is looking for.

While Assassin's Creed hasn't been around for as long as the rest of the franchises represented in the Fighters Pass, it has been around since 2007 and has maintained a steady popularity even to this day. Assassin's Creed on Nintendo consoles goes back nearly as far with the Altair Chronicles release on the original DS and even Assassin's Creed 3 being a launch title for the Wii U. Personally, I would pull for Altaïr for my choice of Assassin but Ezio's overwhelming popularity could be to his benefit or it's even popular for them to be alternate costumes of each other. However it turns out, I think an Assassin is a shocking, yet exciting prospect for the final character of the pass.

@--- Super Moderator

B8DC15DE-C4EB-456C-9609-52C7AA445A30.png

Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)

It should probably go without saying that, in the realm of major Japanese game publishers, Koei Temco is pretty well overdue for a character in Smash. The company has been a regular for Nintendo fans dating back to the original NES/Famicom. Koei Temco’s relationship with Nintendo, particularly within the past decade, has spawned several major titles, spin-offs, and or crossovers featuring key IPs from both companies. Notably Koei Temco has already been credited in Smash Bros. due to the inclusion of Fatal Frame content in both Ultimate and the previous 3DS/Wii U games.

When looking at characters from the company it’s hard to ignore the elephant (or ninja) in the room: Ryu Hayabusa of Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive series fame. Originally debuting in a Beat em’ Up arcade game (which would be a first for a Smash character), Ryu has gone on to be featured in a surprising amount of game genres such as platforming, fighting, adventure, and hack and slash; all of which could be drawn on for a varied moveset. I’d personally imagine him being a weak but fast paced fighter with powerful throws (Izuna Drop!), specials based on the subweapons of the NES Trilogy, standard attacks being based on his Dead or Alive moveset, with his signature Dragon Sword being primarily saved for smash attacks & forward tilt/aerial. The cherry on top for me would be for Sakurai to implement the shadow clone power up from Ninja Gaiden II; I can only imagine what kind of combos the competitive scene could come up with using an after-image trailing behind them.

It’s hard to say for certain he’ll be Fighter 5 given the current rumor mill. As someone, however, who’s been wanting to see a different take on the stereotypical sword-wielder, I’d love to see any of these rumors come true.

Author’s Note: What do you think of these choices? We are interested in hearing them! Let us know what you think and perhaps also let us know who you want or predict for the next fighter!

Last edited by a moderator:
Venus of the Desert Bloom

Comments

Steve or Doomguy would make me really happy. Personally I'd prefer if they used the classic design for Doomguy though as I never really liked the overdesigned praetor suit. Suffers from the same problems as Halo 4/5 Master Chief has when they switched up the artstyle for those games.

Chosen Undead would be really fun, although I think they'd sooner choose Solaire because of how iconic he is in comparison and that he could generally serve the same functions.

D
Ummm...anyone want to discuss...female characters? Because it doesn't feel right.

D
How about Miriam from Bloodstained? That'd be a good way to get an Alucard type character playable as well as supporting indie and female characters.
Holy cow she'd rock.

Though I'm confused since Iga's an indie rep...

Strange on how some people speculate that “Sakurai likes X” so this could happen but when he bought a mech for an unknown project, which he has a history of doing, which would be unnecessary since he has a collection of it. He mentioned the Vifam mech twice, yet people still ignore what Sakurai wants with it and what this project is involved with it. It should be a topic of heavy speculation but it somehow isn’t.

D
That version of Nobunaga is from Samurai Warriors (the series he's mainly from aside from Nobunaga's Ambition), but other than that, I did not expect him to be on this list haha. Nobunaga 4 Smash let's go!

Last edited by a moderator:
From the characters predicted, I'm leaning towards either DOOM Slayer, Ryu Hayabusa, Chosen Undead and heck, even Kunio as the 5th DLC Fighter. I can't dare to predict who will end up being the 5th since right now, it's anyone's game really (so long as it's a third party character from a yet unrepresented franchise in SSBU).

D
From the characters predicted, I'm leaning towards either DOOM Slayer, Ryu Hayabusa, Chosen Undead and heck, even Kunio as the 5th DLC Fighter. I can't dare to predict who will end up being the 5th since right now, it's anyone's game really (so long as it's a third party character from a yet unrepresented franchise in SSBU).
KOS-MOS or Lloyd are similar frontrunners.

Strange on how some people speculate that “Sakurai likes X” so this could happen but when he bought a mech for an unknown project, which he has a history of doing, which would be unnecessary since he has a collection of it. He mentioned the Vifam mech twice, yet people still ignore what Sakurai wants with it and what this project is involved with it. It should be a topic of heavy speculation but it somehow isn’t.
Who would you suggest that it leads to? We're not likely to have a Custom Robo or a Deus Ex Machina character at this point, and not many candidates are specifically mechs.

Suffers from the same problems as Halo 4/5 Master Chief has when they switched up the artstyle for those games.
Fun fact: They hired the guy who designed MC's look in those to be the lead art designer on Metroid Prime 4.
Who would you suggest that it leads to? We're not likely to have a Custom Robo or a Deus Ex Machina character at this point, and not many candidates are specifically mechs.
D.VA?

Elma seems like a good bet. That mech can be used as a Final Smash. And what other people argue.

To be honest I don't put any stock in the Caitlin Glass NDA role because if I remember correctly she had to audition for it and that really makes no sense for it to be her reprising her role of Elma considering she just voiced her last year.

Theres alot of stuff to be excited about though so assuming no one minds, I'll go through what I think are the more interesting points.
1. The Mech toy Sakurai bought remains unresolved, and I interpreted him saying that he bought it for the gun as him needing that specific prop AND the mech rather than not needing the mech at all. Could well be used for animating Elma's Skell.
2. Elma's appearance in Xenoblade Chronicles 2, some curious dialogue and I think most interestingly, that they obviously hadn't planned to add her til the last moment as the otehr party members have no voiced dialogue specifically for her. Her lines were likely written after they recorded for Torna.
3. 2 recent and frankly vague text leaks, one alluding to a female character with a flying/ranged weapon, and another to a relatively unknown female character with a mech, a later post suggests that whilst in the mech she's be joined by other characters and also refers to the character as Dora the Explorer. Elma is an explorer.
4. No Xenoblade X music or Mii costumes in the base game, and none of the Xenoblade X spirits show up in World of Light (perhaps just an oddity). Nintendo were VERY proud of the XCX soundtrack and nothing we've found suggests theres any copyright issues holding it back.
5. The choice of Rex for the Fighter Pass purchase bonus. Nia's in the base game so it seems unlikely they made the costume with the pass in mind, but rather put him in there as an incentive. seems like a steep cost for a mii costume if not even one of the fighter pass characters is from Xenoblade.
6, With a port of the original Xenoblade Chronicles on the way it's very possible X is also in development as part of the same project plan, It's never too early to use Smash for marketing, even looking at ultimate's roster, many characters joined long before their associated games would arrive on Switch. Isabelle's still a few months out and frankly Ridley doesn't even want to talk what happened there.

At any rate, at the moment it feels like it's anyone's game, the end of the fighter pass is the start of a whole new era of post launch support for Smash and who knows what shape it'll take?
The perception of other characters "likelihood" doesn't really change the issues how some things concerning Colonel Elma remain unaddressed.
Yes, Caitlin Glass's NDA remains unaddressed as well as Gundam and Xenoblade X composer, Hiroyuki Sawano's project.

As well as Sakurai's toy mech.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...oy_purchase_is_related_to_his_current_project
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginga_Hyōryū_Vifam
It appears to have some spiritual connection or similarities due to being drafted by the Gundam Creator, Yoshiyuki Tomino, the pilot of the FAM-RV-S1 Vifam, Roddy Shuffle was voiced by Sōichirō Hoshi, who voiced chaos. as well as the plot taking place in the same decade dealing with xenos from elsewhere and they seek to return to Earth. It is strange for Sakurai needing "a new rifle" when Dark Pit has already used a "rifle" and Sakurai has a collection of mechs with guns.

Sakurai has made it clear this is a common practice for him and showed figures for the last installment but as another site noted, it's still not confirmed what it is intended to be for. The Inklings may use it for a base for a charger, but the Inklings don't use a charger. The inkling gun only has one handle,

and the Vifam mech uses the other handle

like the skells appear to have.

I'll deny it. I really don't think that Sakurai put in Shulk to advertise/promote Xenoblade Chronicles nor to remind people that the series existed to get a sequel made..its far more likely that he was an ideal character for Sakurai.
- Fresh New IP
- Interesting Gameplay Gimmick
- A game he enjoyed (if I recall correctly).
In regards to the first one, Sakurai likes including newer series since he cheekily made fun of how few new Nintendo series there were in the description for the Brawl All-Star Mode.

Last edited:
I predict it would be a character people tend to overlook similar to Terry Bogard such as Arle Nadja, Elma, KOS-MOS, Monokuma, or a Sony character such as Q*bert or Kat. Or even Ivan from Devil’s Third.

Hey guys! If you're interested in knowing more about Kunio/Alex, you can read up on him on his support thread!
Aside from River City Girls, there's a new Kunio game out now on Switch/Steam and yet another new one coming in a couple of days. Kunio really is the sleeper pick of the century, and I'd argue that one of his games, Nekketsu Katakou Dennsetsu on Famicom, is exactly like Smash Bros. before Smash Bros.

Obviously it's Toon Zelda, who'll have the same kit as Zelda.

Except she'll actually be made to be viable. :secretkpop:

Tho real talk, I'm still hoping for Husbando Phoenix Wright to become DLC. So far DLC has been reps of big franchises/highly fan-demanded, so he has a shot. Kinda. Tho I'd be so damn stoked if they get a Gust game rep (Atelier, Mana Khemia, Ar Tonelico, etc).

D
Ummm...anyone want to discuss...female characters? Because it doesn't feel right.
There doesn't NEED to be a female character in the Fighter Pass. There's nothing wrong with having a female character in it. But at the same time there's also nothing wrong with the fighter pass being all dudes.

Asking for a character just because they're female is part of the whole "representation" argument. You know, things like "Zelda needs more reps" or "Isaac represents Golden Sun which is a game series I like". Time and time again Sakurai and team have shown that they care more about what the character can do then what the character represents.

That's not to say that representation has never had an impact, but being female is not going to give any character an edge in making it into the game over male characters.

I see KOS-MOS and Elma discussion in the comments, this pleases me greatly c:

im betting one of those two is FP5. If they wanna promote a Spirit and include a first party right off the bat and throw out the third party pattern, I’d imagine Elma’s next. (See the Elma post by Stormy Rain Stormy Rain for more info) Otherwise if they’re sticking to third parties this pass, then KOS-MOS. After all, Bandai Namco is the only veteran third party with one character still, as Square Enix gained a rep (:ulthero:), Capcom and Konami are at 3 (counting the new Echoes) and Sega can be seen as having 3, depending on if you count Bayonetta and/or Joker as Sega. Obviously not counting SNK or Microsoft here as they’re third parties new to Smash (and Microsoft might be a one off thing with :ultbanjokazooie: anyway)

I imagine Namco wouldn’t want to use Heihachi or Lloyd, as the former, Sakurai has said Tekken’s 3D fighting style wouldn’t mesh with Smash’s 2D system or something like that, and Lloyd... after Hero, Lloyd probably wouldn’t be taken so well as he can’t even use magic, just sword arts. Nightmare from Soul Calibur is basically the mascot of the series, but usually Sakurai introduces the hero of the series before the villain.

Last edited:
Double post merged
If there is one I would say would be the final pass character I would say Travis Touchdown
I'm a big fan of him and hope to see them consider taking some ideas from Travis Strikes Again with the chips if they do so, not just wrestling moves, hand to hand and beam katana play.

Surprised that Crash was nowhere to be found, but still an interesting list.
There are really too many good options, so I was tempted to go for Ryu Hayabusa, Dante, Heihachi among other third parties.

I wouldn't want to pick between Crash or Spyro though.

I think we should be looking at companies who have had good relationships with Nintendo when regarding the Switch. Like, companies who've been releasing a good number of games, exclusives (2 at the very least to be specific), and/or has partnered with Nintendo in support of the Nintendo Switch. 2/3 of those criteria should fit. This criteria is something that was stemmed from the other 4 company's relationship with Nintendo before the reveal of their characters.

As a result, I think that we could be getting a Bethesda or Koei Temco character next since they've been THE MOST supportive of the Switch to date. Even then, we can't forget about Bandai Namco, who've been with Nintendo since the Wii U days and have worked on 2 smash games.

Other companies we may see from is Ubisoft (several games and ports coming to the Switch and two crossovers with Nintendo), Disney (2 exclusives, a few games, 1 port, and a partnership featuring the Switch on a Disney competition), and Platinum games ( has 2 ports, made a new IP exclusively for the Switch, and even has Bayonetta 3 exclusively releasing to the Switch as well.
There could be more, but that's all I can think of at the moment. I'm still trying to build this into a solid case, so some feedback would be very much appreciated. If you also know about any other company who fits this criteria, please let me know.

Honestly, I'm rooting for my Doom Boi

The fact that we still have no FPS reps in smash makes me REALLY want one, as it has become one of the most important genres in the industry (even though they are kind of "dying" because of third person shooters).

I know that Doom is extremely violent and gorey, but I personally can still see the Doomguy in smash without blood all over the place. As long as his moveset has the anger and fury of the Doom games, it's fine for me.

But still, I see it kind of difficult because he isn't that asked for in comparison to other characters. Plus, the US (where most requests for Doomguy come from) already was "pleased" with the inclusion of Ridley, K Rool, and Banjo.

If we talk about highly probable characters, I would think of Sora and maybe Shantae. I know Sora is under the strings of Disney and Shantae is already as a spirit in-game, but do to the sheer amount of requests I honestly can see Nintendo pulling it off.

Still, predicting Smash newcomers is harder right now than it has ever been. It's basically impossible knowing what's in Sakurai's mind at the moment.

From what I recall, he bought it as a reference for gun poses for Inkling, or at least that's what the popular theory was.

tbh Lora from the Torna side-story DLC for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is my pick for the most likely first-party character at this point. Though her only appearance so far was in post-launch DLC, she's a key figure in the Xenoblade lore, there are zero references to her in Ultimate currently so even if Spirits do disqualify characters, she's still a possibility, and her source material fits right into that sweet spot of being too new for the base game but new enough to be in consideration for DLC. That said, I also think that at this point, first-party DLC characters are probably being saved for after the first fighter pass.
also tbh I would rather have Kyoko in Smash with her River City Girls design instead of Kunio but some dreams have to stay that way

I think we should be looking at companies who have had good relationships with Nintendo when regarding the Switch. Like, companies who've been releasing a good number of games, exclusives (2 at the very least to be specific), and/or has partnered with Nintendo in support of the Nintendo Switch. 2/3 of those criteria should fit. This criteria is something that was stemmed from the other 4 company's relationship with Nintendo before the reveal of their characters.

As a result, I think that we could be getting a Bethesda or Koei Temco character next since they've been THE MOST supportive of the Switch to date. Even then, we can't forget about Bandai Namco, who've been with Nintendo since the Wii U days and have worked on 2 smash games.

Other companies we may see from is Ubisoft (several games and ports coming to the Switch and two crossovers with Nintendo), Disney (2 exclusives, a few games, 1 port, and a partnership featuring the Switch on a Disney competition), and Platinum games ( has 2 ports, made a new IP exclusively for the Switch, and even has Bayonetta 3 exclusively releasing to the Switch as well.
There could be more, but that's all I can think of at the moment. I'm still trying to build this into a solid case, so some feedback would be very much appreciated. If you also know about any other company who fits this criteria, please let me know.
Yeah, I kinda wanted to get into this with my prediction for Kunio, but Arc System Works (the current owners of the Kunio-kun/River City Ransom IP) has actually been working closely with Nintendo for a good chunk of its lifespan - we had a couple of multi-platform releases (BBTAG, River City Girls) as well as ports of a lot of some of their more popular games for other consoles (BlazBlue CentralFiction, Guilty Gear XX AC+ Reload, Dragon Ball FighterZ). iirc ArcSys was also listed among the partnered third-parties around the time the Switch was first announced.

As for Disney, Sakurai has confirmed that we're basically only getting game-original content, so the only way I could see a Disney character making it in is if it's from one of their original gaming IPs like Spectrobes (remember Spectrobes?), and tbh few if any of them had enough lasting impact on the medium to warrant an appearance in Smash.

As for Disney, Sakurai has confirmed that we're basically only getting game-original content, so the only way I could see a Disney character making it in is if it's from one of their original gaming IPs like Spectrobes (remember Spectrobes?), and tbh few if any of them had enough lasting impact on the medium to warrant an appearance in Smash.
Actually, Disney owns the Kingdom Hearts franchise. That's a big enough series to warrant an inclusion (it's at least at the Persona franchises level), so that's why I included them in my list of candidates.

Actually, Disney owns the Kingdom Hearts franchise. That's a big enough series to warrant an inclusion (it's at least at the Persona franchises level), so that's why I included them in my list of candidates.
I can kiiinda see that as a possibility, but Sakurai's statement also heavily constrains how the series could be represented - then again, we've seen fan games like Super Smash Flash 2 include Kingdom Hearts content while sticking to stuff that was original to the games themselves rather than pulled from Disney movies, and that feels like a fitting representation (at least based on my evaluation as a non-fan), so who knows.

Fun fact: They hired the guy who designed MC's look in those to be the lead art designer on Metroid Prime 4.
I did hear, very on the fence about that. The style could definitely work far better for Metroid than Halo for sure though, as long as the aliens still look interesting and not all just bulky reptiles.

I remember there being a lot of speculation about that before the game released. I don't think he would have saved it for DLC this far down the line, honestly.

I did hear, very on the fence about that. The style could definitely work far better for Metroid than Halo for sure though, as long as the aliens still look interesting and not all just bulky reptiles.

I remember there being a lot of speculation about that before the game released. I don't think he would have saved it for DLC this far down the line, honestly.
I imagine he would with how long it took Home Run Contest to show up.

I once had a dream Cranky Kong actually became playable. Not gonna lie, I would so main him just to be a complete and total memelord. I'd also change my tag to "git gud".

What garbage picks. I'm calling it now that literally every single one of you are wrong.

Last edited:
D
What garbage picks. I'm calling it now that literally every single one of you are wrong.
Overall, I'm glad that Smashboards does not have a feature of disliking posts, but arrogant statements like this do make the idea feel tempting sometimes.

Overall, I'm glad that Smashboards does not have a feature of disliking posts, but arrogant statements like this do make the idea feel tempting sometimes.
It's not a big deal. I'm sure when they made that comment they were ready to throw down against every Asian in their area that has been alive since 2004. Oda Nobunaga, Ryu Hayabusa, 2B a trash pick, hahahahahaha.

Last edited:
I see KOS-MOS and Elma discussion in the comments, this pleases me greatly c:

im betting one of those two is FP5. If they wanna promote a Spirit and include a first party right off the bat and throw out the third party pattern, I’d imagine Elma’s next. (See the Elma post by Stormy Rain Stormy Rain for more info) Otherwise if they’re sticking to third parties this pass, then KOS-MOS. After all, Bandai Namco is the only veteran third party with one character still, as Square Enix gained a rep (:ulthero:), Capcom and Konami are at 3 (counting the new Echoes) and Sega can be seen as having 3, depending on if you count Bayonetta and/or Joker as Sega. Obviously not counting SNK or Microsoft here as they’re third parties new to Smash (and Microsoft might be a one off thing with :ultbanjokazooie: anyway)

I imagine Namco wouldn’t want to use Heihachi or Lloyd, as the former, Sakurai has said Tekken’s 3D fighting style wouldn’t mesh with Smash’s 2D system or something like that, and Lloyd... after Hero, Lloyd probably wouldn’t be taken so well as he can’t even use magic, just sword arts. Nightmare from Soul Calibur is basically the mascot of the series, but usually Sakurai introduces the hero of the series before the villain.
I bet KosMos because Rex Costume.

Top Bottom