• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Staff Picks – Who do you still hope will make it into Ultimate?

sbroster.jpg

The release of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is only getting closer and closer, and we’re all pretty excited to get our hands on the game and try out all of the newest features and characters. Still, it’s almost a guarantee we haven’t seen everything Ultimate has to offer, and with four months of wait still remaining, anything could happen. With that in mind, we went around the Smashboards offices and asked some of our staff which characters they still hope to see squeeze their way into the game before the final release. Here are some of their answers!

Thirdkoopa (Content Director):
I'd like to see Isaac from Golden Sun in the game.
Using is psyenergy and his sword, he would be a fantastic addition to the roster, both being unique and fitting with the cast very well without being deemed too 'Unfamiliar'. It would also be nice because we would see more Golden Sun music and potentially a Golden Sun stage.

Scribe (Editor in Chief):
I'd love to see Kyo Kusanagi in Smash. We know that the team can do some interesting things with traditional fighting game characters, and while there's some concerns that he wouldn't bring that much new to the table, a move like Aragami with branching follow-up paths hasn't really been done before in Smash. The closest thing Smash has is Dancing Blade, and even there, your follow-up choices are the same no matter what previous ones you used. On top of that, having him in would be a nice nod to Smash's inspirations - SNK fighting games were the first to use several mechanics that later came to define Smash, such as guard break, dodge rolls, sidestep dodges, short hops.

PlayerOneTyler (Editor):
My number one choice for any character to be playable in Ultimate is Impa. I'm really holding out for her inclusion - especially because of the introduction of Echo Fighters. I think she would work well as an Echo of Sheik, but the REAL dream would be to have her inspired by her Hyrule Warriors appearance. She could use her giant sword and have many water-based attacks. Plus, The Legend of Zelda could use some love since they haven't seen a newcomer since Brawl.

Zero Soul (Staff Writer):
My most wanted character is a major recurring Kirby villain, Dark Matter. With multiple roles as the main antagonist under its belt, several cameos, and its seeming connections to other final bosses in the Kirby series, Dark Matter is anything but unimportant. Dark Matter's importance isn't the only reason I want them though, they also have plenty of moveset potential, have an awesome design, and could represent the more nightmarish part of the Kirby franchise, something which isn't really represented much in Smash as of now.

Fuzzy Pickles (Smash Development Enthusiast):
Put it simply, Sakurai needs to make Bomberman a playable character. He's a multi-player icon who's legacy precedes that of even Mario Kart, having five players on the NEC's TurboGrafx-16 as early as 1990. Much like the memorable battle royale with friends, he would use the element of surprise by trapping his opponents with methodically planned bombs, allowing him to play mind games over his unsuspecting opponents. Plus who doesn’t want to see Bomberman and Wario having a rematch after Wario’s Blast? Although currently an Assist Trophy, having him finally join the fight would complete an already amazing roster.

SHSL Jedi (Interim Master of the Force):
As an avid Sonic fan since the early 90’s I remember picking up SA2 for the GameCube, Shadow instantly gripped me. Such a different character for the franchise. Liking brooding anti-heroes wasn’t anything new to me since I’m also a fan of Batman and in Fire Emblem an old favorite of mine is Jaffar.
Shadows voice, powers and rivalry with Sonic along with his appearance in Super Mario Bros Z always appealed to me. Since Echoes don’t have to be entirely 1:1 he has a good chance to have a unique aspect or two from the blue blur as well.

ToasterBrains (Pachislot Revival Cultist):
As unlikely as he is, I will probably always want Goemon in Smash Bros as my #1 pick. He was a big part of my childhood! And there's more than enough to his games to give him an iconic moveset. He can throw big flaming gold coins, swings a (chain) pipe around as a weapon, and has a gigantic fighting robot he can use for his final smash. And it would be nice for him to get the Smash Brothers boost, because his franchise has suffered death by pachislot, and I don't think the recent Bomberman cameo is going to make anyone suddenly care about him.

Koke (Level 20 Graphics Wizard):
Honestly Simon was all I wanted from the beginning. Thanks Sakurai.
nevermore from fortnite for smash

Personally I’m still holding out for my boy Travis Touchdown. Originally I thought it unlikely since his game is M rated, but with the inclusion of Bayonetta and Snake in the series, I guess everything is possible!

What do you think? Do you agree with our pics? Do you think they’re likely? And who do you hope will make it into the next game? Let us know in the comments below, and stay tuned to Smashboards for all further developments concerning Ultimate!

Last edited:
Eidolon

Comments

notsuchabadguy notsuchabadguy

I’m staff.....what the heck? :p

Since I got what I wanted with Castlevania, I suppose I’d like to see more Sonic reps.

My last long shot hope would be Linkle, but I know it’s an unlikely addition. If she’s was anything like her appearance in Hyrule Warriors, she’d be an interesting addition to be sure.

notsuchabadguy notsuchabadguy

I’m staff.....what the heck? :p

Since I got what I wanted with Castlevania, I suppose I’d like to see more Sonic reps.

My last long shot hope would be Linkle, but I know it’s an unlikely addition. If she’s was anything like her appearance in Hyrule Warriors, she’d be an interesting addition to be sure.
Join us in the Discord server next time! I would've loved to get more opinions on this one.

Excellent work with this.
Thank you! <3

Join us in the Discord server next time! I would've loved to get more opinions on this one.

Thank you! <3
I will. I’m already part of it, I just try to stay out of your guys’ business. Tag me, and I’ll definitely contribute if I can. :)

D
Not gonna lie, Isaac, Dark Matter, and Goemon are all good picks and I'd play as any of them. If not, at least make Zero a boss (seriously he'd be perfect for a Smash boss). Of course you all know where my heart lies but gotta give credit where it's due.

Quite the variety here. Crazy how far we've come that there're even a couple people who have a potential echo fighter as their most wanted! Funny to think that clone characters were reviled in places as recently as three months ago, huh?

Last edited:
I personally want Hat Kid to join. With the recent announcement of Hat in Time for Switch, She'd make a great rep (if Subcon Forest becomes a stage, too, SSBU will automatically be 11/10.

For years, all I wanted was Little Mac. He's been in for awhile now. No real complaints.

Porky Minch and Paper Mario would be cool though.

Good character choices, recurring/new franchise first parties or third parties of longstanding franchises that are still around, better than 90% of what smashboards want.

So... Anyone else that have Paper Mario as their number one pick? He has deserved a spot since Brawl.

So... Anyone else that have Paper Mario as their number one pick? He has deserved a spot since Brawl.
i don't know if any of the writers have Paper Mario as their first choice, but I can tell you right now, as the content manager/director, he's a favorable choice for us

Or really, any Mario RPG content (I was about to put Geno, personally)

i don't know if any of the writers have Paper Mario as their first choice, but I can tell you right now, as the content manager/director, he's a favorable choice for us

Or really, any Mario RPG content (I was about to put Geno, personally)
Yeah Paper Mario would be cool, i'm a huge fan of 64 & TTYD in particular and liked Super Paper.

Top Bottom