• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Site Update #4 - Server Migration Complete

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Smashers,

Smashboards is now officially off of Major League Gaming Inc. servers and being housed on two dedicated servers owned by Xyelot LLC. The overall move was a success and we suffered little downtime. All of the DNS issues that some users were experiencing yesterday should now be resolved.

There are a few issues though that are lingering. Our search is still down, though we anticipate fixing it overnight. Userblogs are also having issues - a fix is forthcoming but we are still diagnosing the issue. The site should be fully functional except for the blogs before this weekend. Smashboards load times are also appearing strong with no blackouts. There are still, though, two behind-the-scenes ownership transfers that are taking longer than expected but they are not related to the database/servers.

Since we have reached an important milestone in the new era of Smashboards I want to give a huge thank you to the many parties involved with this move. Foremost is Bionic, who checked in during the server move, kept everyone updated through the main-page announcements, set things to read-only, and made sure people had links to the chat! Bionic has been a great asset to the Smash community and without his help things would not have been as smooth, nor the community as informed during the process, as it was.

Major League Gaming was also very helpful with the migration and made sure things were running smoothly. Their team was and still is in communication with Bionic and our new hosting service which I will finally reveal now:

After much exhaustion and getting quotes from about a dozen different hosting companies, hearing input from countless people about what to do with the server, what kind of server(s) to get, and how to set things up, I settled on going with TheTempleHost.com. Right away one of their principal engineers, Paul, began working with me and he was beyond helpful in providing expertise. I can't speak more highly of how he has been on-call during this process, worked with me, answered questions, read about the community, and learned our unique needs. Paul has even been communicating with the Smashboards Senate! If you are in the hunt for web hosting they offer packages more akin for individual users ranging from $5-$15 a month that you can get a 15% lifetime discount on using the coupon code "SMASH". I would highly recommend TheTempleHost to meet any server needs you may have.

That essentially wraps up this update. Stay tuned for more information as things progress. On the horizon will be an announcement when all last little-bits-and-pieces of our connection with MLG are gone. After which, the immediate priority will be an upgrade of the forum software. The six month timeline I announced on November 20th, roughly 50 days ago, is still holding.

Smashers everywhere, thank you for bearing with this process that was nessasary in order for a better future!

AlphaZealot
Follow on Twitter

Premium Memberships can be purchased here - help support Smashboards.com by buying your membership today!

Smashboards Transition Log

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
What prompted you to buy Smashboards from MLG? I think its great that the main smash is more or less independent from basically something outside of the community.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Regarding Premium Memberships: currently they are $4 for 3 months, $7 for 6 months, and $12 for a full year of Premium Membership.

Starting December 3rd any purchase for Premium Membership went to Xyelot LLC. Regarding funds in the Premium Membership Asset Account prior to this, Xyelot LLC was able to retain some, but not all. We are still exploring adding PayPal and this may become the main option with an upgrade to the actual forum.

TheTempleHost

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the kind words, AZ. Glad to be a part of the SWF revamp! And always happy to help any and all. I'll keep the 15% discount open to everyone here forever :)

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
New servers, new admin, and even 15% discounts for Smash Community members? There should be a "Like" button feature for these forums; I would like the OP as hard as I possibly can.

:phone:

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The occasional dropouts regarding connections (503 errors) are related to us fixing search. With any luck the fix will go through tonight and search will be operational during the weekend.

Melty Venus

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure if this is related to the new server, but when I browse Smashboards, only the header and the upcoming tournaments/livestreams/news box loads and the rest of the page hangs. Sometimes it loads a while later and sometimes it doesn't at all. Refreshing the page usually fixes it.

I just thought I'd let you guys know. ^^;

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Dunno where to post this so I'll say it here.

On fluid Revo instead of the main Bowser icon linking to http://www.smashboards.com it instead goes to http://smashboards.com which causes a bug (at least in my browser) to go to the vibrant color scheme for 1 page. Can this be fixed? Thanks :3

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
There may be some downtime today as we make some final transfers - shouldn't be very long (minutes) and will likely be this afternoon.

We are still evaluating a fix to search. The current solution would require significant downtime so we are evaluating an alternative and/or may simply wait until we upgrade to new forums.

Scar

#HarveyDent
thx for the update AZ

i'd love to see more about the 6-month discussions / vision - whenever it's established or a first draft is possible (or anything like that) be sure to let us know!

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Our current fix to search would require upwards of 50+ hours of downtime. At this point in time, we will expect search to be down until we upgrade forums, with an ETA on the forum upgrade in about 2 weeks (goal is end of January/beginning February). Once the forum is upgraded, fixing search should only be an hour or less process.

User blogs may need a complete revamp with new forums.

More information on exactly what forums we will be upgrading to and what changes that may bring will be released when we are ready.

The DNS was successfully transferred this week, leaving only one last thing that needs to be transferred from MLG remaining.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Random question: How come every single time i click on a smashboards link while logged in I become logged out when i reach the link destination.

Odder still, if i open a link in a new tab, im logged out on that tab but still logged in on the original, I can browse normally and never get logged out but the new tab stays logged out if i browse on that. Quite literally im logged in and out at the same time.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Odd...I've heard a couple other instances of this but it doesn't seem consistent and also appeared prior to the server move. Was suffering the issue myself (using Mac/Chrome). What is your operating system/browser?

Also, do you have "remember me" checked?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Windows 7/FireFox

Yeah I check "Remember Me" every time i log in to the new tabs lol. Also outside of the actual forum header none of the actual forum links log me out. The header does randomly, even if not opening a new tab, idk why. Other than that it's just hyperlinks as part of posts, nothing else.

Meneks

Smash Lord
New servers, new admin, and even 15% discounts for Smash Community members? There should be a "Like" button feature for these forums; I would like the OP as hard as I possibly can.

:phone:
I agree.. There are other forums very similar to this that have rep and like features. Also an app for android would be cool too

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Yes. 2 name changes every 3 months you have premium, actually.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Odd...I've heard a couple other instances of this but it doesn't seem consistent and also appeared prior to the server move. Was suffering the issue myself (using Mac/Chrome). What is your operating system/browser?

Also, do you have "remember me" checked?
Keeps getting weirder and weirder.

Im still having the same problem only i have more to add to it now. Manually entering smashboards.com brings me to smashboards without me being logged in. Clicking my bookmark to smashboards brings me in logged in. Wat

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I *think* I've fixed the issue with clicking the banner logging you out. Anyone want to confirm? This also means you should not be logged out by going to smashboards.com as opposed to www.smashboards.com

Very odd that you got a 503...what was the timeframe for it? I haven't seen any site-wide issues since we stopped trying to fix search.

Gea

Smash Master
I'm still having random logout issues but I think mine is related to cookies. I manually accept cookies and have everything from smashboards.com as accepted. I think something new asked me about cookies and I rejected because new ads on the website will try to ad their own cookie... and now I get logged out if I close the tab or click the banner when I used to never before. I even deleted all the cookies from www.smashboards.com manually and let it resave my login info but no dice.

Is the way the website handles that different now?

I'm on Opera/Win7x64 but like I said, I previously had no issues with this. Problem started before you fixed the banner issue.

Edit: I think I fixed it. There were cookies saved both under smashboards.com and www.smashboards.com. I purged settings for both and it seems normal now. I think.
Edit2: If I type in smashboards.com into the browser it acts like it's a different website than www.smashboards.com Solution for now is to log into both. Both are still storing different cookies on my system

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I *think* I've fixed the issue with clicking the banner logging you out. Anyone want to confirm? This also means you should not be logged out by going to smashboards.com as opposed to www.smashboards.com

Very odd that you got a 503...what was the timeframe for it? I haven't seen any site-wide issues since we stopped trying to fix search.
Well I don't remember the time I got the 503. But, the time frame on the picture when it was made, was 1/20/13 2:47pm Mountain Time.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
There were changes made last night to solve the random 503's that were occurring. Please report if you happen to see them again, hopefully the fix that went through solved the problems.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
AZ: i think the melee @ evo drive would be going better if the breast cancer research subfoum was a subforum of melee. as it is now it's further down the homepage than it could be, thus reaches out to fewer people.

Top Bottom