• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Site Update #4 - Server Migration Complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Smashers,

Smashboards is now officially off of Major League Gaming Inc. servers and being housed on two dedicated servers owned by Xyelot LLC. The overall move was a success and we suffered little downtime. All of the DNS issues that some users were experiencing yesterday should now be resolved.

There are a few issues though that are lingering. Our search is still down, though we anticipate fixing it overnight. Userblogs are also having issues - a fix is forthcoming but we are still diagnosing the issue. The site should be fully functional except for the blogs before this weekend. Smashboards load times are also appearing strong with no blackouts. There are still, though, two behind-the-scenes ownership transfers that are taking longer than expected but they are not related to the database/servers.

Since we have reached an important milestone in the new era of Smashboards I want to give a huge thank you to the many parties involved with this move. Foremost is Bionic, who checked in during the server move, kept everyone updated through the main-page announcements, set things to read-only, and made sure people had links to the chat! Bionic has been a great asset to the Smash community and without his help things would not have been as smooth, nor the community as informed during the process, as it was.

Major League Gaming was also very helpful with the migration and made sure things were running smoothly. Their team was and still is in communication with Bionic and our new hosting service which I will finally reveal now:

After much exhaustion and getting quotes from about a dozen different hosting companies, hearing input from countless people about what to do with the server, what kind of server(s) to get, and how to set things up, I settled on going with TheTempleHost.com. Right away one of their principal engineers, Paul, began working with me and he was beyond helpful in providing expertise. I can't speak more highly of how he has been on-call during this process, worked with me, answered questions, read about the community, and learned our unique needs. Paul has even been communicating with the Smashboards Senate! If you are in the hunt for web hosting they offer packages more akin for individual users ranging from $5-$15 a month that you can get a 15% lifetime discount on using the coupon code "SMASH". I would highly recommend TheTempleHost to meet any server needs you may have.

That essentially wraps up this update. Stay tuned for more information as things progress. On the horizon will be an announcement when all last little-bits-and-pieces of our connection with MLG are gone. After which, the immediate priority will be an upgrade of the forum software. The six month timeline I announced on November 20th, roughly 50 days ago, is still holding.

Smashers everywhere, thank you for bearing with this process that was nessasary in order for a better future!

AlphaZealot
Follow on Twitter

Premium Memberships can be purchased here - help support Smashboards.com by buying your membership today!

Discuss this topic by going here!

Smashboards Transition Log

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom