• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards ROB Rankings!

Status
Not open for further replies.

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
Nope. My goal is to be recognized as the best ROB in the nation, then the world. Then I plan to be a top 10 contender nationally, using only ROB.

These lofty goals prevent me from getting bored. I only got bored with melee towards the very end, when I accomplished very similar goals.
I've already made it on to the Socal Power rankings, and I plan to continue to move up on it.

Playing amongst some of the best competition also helps me to not be bored. In fact, I'm about to drive to fiction's house in about 10 minutes to go play.

OS, perhaps you should make your goals more challenging?
You and I have the same goal Hugs. MM at Genesis?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Nope. My goal is to be recognized as the best ROB in the nation, then the world. Then I plan to be a top 10 contender nationally, using only ROB.

These lofty goals prevent me from getting bored. I only got bored with melee towards the very end, when I accomplished very similar goals.
I've already made it on to the Socal Power rankings, and I plan to continue to move up on it.

Playing amongst some of the best competition also helps me to not be bored. In fact, I'm about to drive to fiction's house in about 10 minutes to go play.

OS, perhaps you should make your goals more challenging?
I was considered the best ROB in the world while I was maining ROB. There were very few contenders, and it was mostly a joke. It was one of my goals as well, although admittedly easier to achieve in the beginning with my experience with making videos.

I thought about going for the whole "be a top 3 at national tournaments" goal, but there were no national tournaments and I was getting bored with winning with ROB. I was already kinda burnt out.

Maybe if MK is banned... but I don't feel like learning the MK ditto THAT bad.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
The "Is laughing at you" under your name is a reference to Joker

It's part of the never-ending hint for the weekly character discussion

That's the look that Smash elitists give each other when making tier lists/talking to scrubs

any of these close?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
The "Is laughing at you" under your name is a reference to Joker

It's part of the never-ending hint for the weekly character discussion

That's the look that Smash elitists give each other when making tier lists/talking to scrubs

any of these close?
it involves someone else on the forums

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
Very few people have figured out why I chose this avatar.

Can you guess?
Seems like an episode of blue's clues, can you guess why OS picked this avatar???

My guess is that he wants to be the villain and opposite a certain smasher, here's a clue, his name rhymes with whew-woo-ling.

That's right, I'm pointlessly stopping in the ROB boards.

Hi :)

buenob

Smash Lord
rob is like a mono blue control deck in magic... simple, great, but not very varying... it takes a lot of skill to know when to pull out what tricks, but it's the same tricks, and they work... period...

rob isn't flashy, he's efficient... I think that unless you absolutely love crushing your opponent (OS I totally thought you were into that too, from your guides lol) you'll get bored with rob...

I take great satisfaction from when my opponent walks away and says "****, I know I'm better than him, I can beat him!" because it just means they got outplayed that badly

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
props on the magic reference, i couldn't have put it better myself.

that's the reason I play mono blue and rob...good ****

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
I beat TBD in a $60 money match.

Also: 17/45 (FL), Seibrik second round is fun, 2 stocked him on my CP though, felt good. He practically wrecked me the other two games though...

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I played Peach in Melee and ROB in Brawl. To me, they're both similar characters. They're very simple to learn (Both, at the basic level, rely on punishing with Downsmash and spamming projectiles). However, and this is what I enjoy(ed) about them both, they're both very difficult to "master". Peach had so much float cancelling and turnip tricks she could pull off at top levels of play it was insane (I mean she could pillar a shield with repeated DJCed Nairs, it was amazing). Which is Similar to ROB in that in top levels of play you rely very little on Sidestep Dsmash and laser spam, your aerial game becomes more important and I'm more and more seeing the value of things like gyro setups and glide tossing with him.

Deadweight

Smash Ace
I played Peach in Melee and ROB in Brawl. To me, they're both similar characters. They're very simple to learn (Both, at the basic level, rely on punishing with Downsmash and spamming projectiles). However, and this is what I enjoy(ed) about them both, they're both very difficult to "master". Peach had so much float cancelling and turnip tricks she could pull off at top levels of play it was insane (I mean she could pillar a shield with repeated DJCed Nairs, it was amazing). Which is Similar to ROB in that in top levels of play you rely very little on Sidestep Dsmash and laser spam, your aerial game becomes more important and I'm more and more seeing the value of things like gyro setups and glide tossing with him.
^This man knows the truth
I too mained peach melee brawl rob :D

Ruse

Fox
I was considered the best ROB in the world while I was maining ROB. There were very few contenders, and it was mostly a joke. It was one of my goals as well, although admittedly easier to achieve in the beginning with my experience with making videos,
Couldn't this be because you were the first person to really start looking into developing his meta game? Now that the meta game is moving on you're not one of the best ROBs (imo). You don't even main him anymore.

If you want(ed) to be the best Smasher in the midwest/nation/etc., why not also just learn to use ROB against MK? It'd be a lot more fun/challenging than MK dittos. Both are very high goals, and both would actually take some practice.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
If you want(ed) to be the best Smasher in the midwest/nation/etc., why not also just learn to use ROB against MK? It'd be a lot more fun/challenging than MK dittos. Both are very high goals, and both would actually take some practice.
If you said this to me in person, I'd break my leg, rip out the bone, and stab you in the throat with it.

>:[

It is not possible to beat a good MK with ROB.

HugS™

Smash Lord
I was considered the best ROB in the world while I was maining ROB. There were very few contenders, and it was mostly a joke. It was one of my goals as well, although admittedly easier to achieve in the beginning with my experience with making videos.

I thought about going for the whole "be a top 3 at national tournaments" goal, but there were no national tournaments and I was getting bored with winning with ROB. I was already kinda burnt out.

Maybe if MK is banned... but I don't feel like learning the MK ditto THAT bad.
All your accomplishments seem to have come almost by default. I don't see how you have any pride in that.

I mean, best in the Midwest? Yeah, when the game first came out and no one knew how to play...

Best rob in the world? Right...When you were simply the only one who had recording equipment to release vids.

Inventing ROB? Advancing the Metagame? Well, that's easy, all you had to do was USE Rob, record it, and you'd be inventing/advancing the metagame, since no one had actually played him before. All you did was start from zero, which is easy. IMO, your style of rob isn't very effective now a days.

You should revisit these goals now that their accomplishment would actually mean something, instead of sulking on some faux achievements. I don't mean this to offend you, it's just the **** truth.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
All your accomplishments seem to have come almost by default. I don't see how you have any pride in that.

I mean, best in the Midwest? Yeah, when the game first came out and no one knew how to play...

Best rob in the world? Right...When you were simply the only one who had recording equipment to release vids.

Inventing ROB? Advancing the Metagame? Well, that's easy, all you had to do was USE Rob, record it, and you'd be inventing/advancing the metagame, since no one had actually played him before. All you did was start from zero, which is easy. IMO, your style of rob isn't very effective now a days.

You should revisit these goals now that their accomplishment would actually mean something, instead of sulking on some faux achievements. I don't mean this to offend you, it's just the **** truth.
QFT

<33333s HugS™

Overswarm

is laughing at you

I mained ROB for about half a year and beat players like Anther and DSF, and most of the stuff I did still works nowadays. I konw it does, because it still works when I use it.

I just need a different kind of goal. I don't think I want it to be ROB related, because as much as I love the Robot, there aren't any other good ROBs to compete with. There are good regional ROBs, there are good local ROBs, but no good WORLD ROBs. That and MK makes it a moot point.

Starting at zero is a lot harder than starting from now. People look at Mango and say "wow, look at that!" but all he did was pull from King. It's like looking at Dojo's MK and saying "wow", when you're looking at an M2K reflection. I didn't have a backdrop to create things from. That's how I like it. ^_^

HugS™

Smash Lord
You never beat DSF. Money matches don't mean much. I actually beat DSF in tournament when you were supposedly the "best rob in the world". But you don't see me making such claims, because it would be complete folly.

And what did you invent? You honestly think you created the most basic of ROB techniques? You just released videos, and claimed the techniques as your own. You can only be credited with it by bringing it into the limelight in a respectable tournament setting. But at the time, there were no respectable tournament settings. I mean, your competition was slim/is slim.

And starting from zero when everyone else is at zero is not hard, at all. Mango did pull slightly from King, but the thing you don't seem to understand is that he pulled BEYOND King, which is the basis of his accomplishment and credibility. You've pulled beyond no one, and created something when there was no real resistance to that creation.

Dojo and m2k isn't the same as Mango/ King. Mango gets credit for surpassing king. Dojo hasn't surpassed m2k at all.

And it's just funny, how now that you actually have some real competition, all of a sudden you just don't feel like trying anymore. It's all "boring" to you now. Give me a break, you were never that good to begin with.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm one of the top players in the midwest; there has been a grand total of one tournament where I haven't won money from placement, and I'm a threat to every player I've played.

I stopped playing ROB because of MK, and I stopped practicing because I just stopped caring. It had nothing to do with "competition"; I still compete, and I still win. I haven't cared since, oh, November or December or so, and haven't done anything but tournaments since then and have still done better than most players in the midwest. Hell, my ROB is still doing better than most ROBs that exist.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
I'm one of the top players in the midwest; there has been a grand total of one tournament where I haven't won money from placement, and I'm a threat to every player I've played.

I stopped playing ROB because of MK, and I stopped practicing because I just stopped caring. It had nothing to do with "competition"; I still compete, and I still win. I haven't cared since, oh, November or December or so, and haven't done anything but tournaments since then and have still done better than most players in the midwest. Hell, my ROB is still doing better than most ROBs that exist.
Then again, you did lose to jokey's ROB... twice now... jokey took like 70th at C4... devil's advocate here but after having played your ROB along with over half the midwest's ROBs I'd say yours isn't as good as you think it is. I've lost to your ROB but I've lost much harder to other ROBs.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Then again, you did lose to jokey's ROB... twice now... jokey took like 70th at C4....
Hunger beat my Mario in a ditto before does that make his Mario better than mine?

Dittos don't really mean anything.

But really, I think Overswarm's R.O.B is better than his Mk.

Famous

Smash Champion
It means he knows the ditto matchup better than you...

Then again, people could have a better character than yours but don't place as high when it comes down to tourney...

Sudai

Stuff here
Overswarm. HugS. Stop acting like children on the boards or I will be forced to take action. If you have to do this, do it through a private venue.

jokey665

Smash Ace
Hunger beat my Mario in a ditto before does that make his Mario better than mine?

Dittos don't really mean anything.

But really, I think Overswarm's R.O.B is better than his Mk.
I'm actually atrociously bad at ROB dittos most of the time. I lost to Paradigm's ROB in Pools and I really shouldn't have... I've played like 5 ROBs total. :ohwell:

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
So that video proves...that you can beat a bad player playing a bad character 6 months ago?

Cool

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
Frankly OS, since that half year, ROB has gone nowhere but down, and it's not because of a lack of you, it's because people know how to beat spam. I still think ROB should go lower but thats aside from the point. ROB hasn't gone anywhere and everybody knows how to play and beat him. Yes, you did use this playstyle first, but now it's the same stuff everyone has figured out on their own.

buenob

Smash Lord
i think rob should go higher :)

but i'm crazy like that... mostly, people who just spam are copying OS's 6+ month old strategies... no disrespect to OS at all, but as he said he doesn't play rob anymore, and his style was to spam the crap out of the opponents...

rando note.
I think rob ditto's are both awesome to watch and hilariously epic... I don't mind playing the ditto at all, and I finally beat Holy once (after losing like 5x in a row lol... and almost losing a MM to his sonic!)... the amount of times you trade lazers/tops in a good ditto is un-countable :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom