• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards ROB Rankings!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Here we go, Smashboards' ROB Rankings List! Well actually, it's just my list right now, but it's a starting point, and we can debate and adjust as needed.

I've looked at many videos and looked at many tourney results to compile this list. I put a lot of thought into it. I realize it's very difficult to compare players from different regions but this is my best estimate based on the level of competition and from what I've seen in videos. There are probably a lot of west coast ROBs and ROBs from other regions that I just don't know anything about, so I can't add them to this list myself. Obviously I know more about the east coast ROBs.

I'm trying to be as UNBIASED as possible (though we all know that that's impossible) so don't ***** at me if you don't like your ranking. It's not because I don't like you. Make a real argument why you think you should be moved up and I will listen.

Players are NOT ORDERED within the tiers. It would be impossible to get that detailed.

The Rankings:

The undisputed best ROB in the country
TBD

Very High
ROBs that have consistently proven themselves in tourney
and beat pros on a regular basis

Holy
NinjaLink
Overswarm
ShadowRob

High
ROBs that have taken matches from pros
and have consistently done well in strong regions,
or have done exceptional in weaker regions

BO X7
buenob
ChiboSempai
HugS
Jamnt0ast
JCaesar
Karn
Nacker
maXXXpower
Stingers
Sudai
t0mmy

Probably some other West Coast ROBs I don't know much about

Mid
ROBs that have done fairly well sometimes,
or are stuck in weaker regions

Bajisci
CJTHeroofTime
Darth Waffles
Deadweight
DullRazer
Glyph
GwJumpman
JG Wentworth
jjvirus
Mankosuki
Mr. E
Oathmeal
Ruse
Tantalus
ZOM~B

A lot of other ROBs I know very little about​

Discuss! Feel free to rip me a new one. Though I prefer reasoned arguments. I am very willing to adjust this list. Hopefully I didn't leave anyone off.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
When this list comes out I doubt I'll be on...

But I should be =).

The most recent vids of my ROB are pretty old :(

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
For lack of serious tourneys or videos, I don't think I'll even appear on this list. That being said, I like the idea of this so that I can compare my styles and possible rankings to the people who DO have videos.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I'm sorry this was premature. There were some things I hadn't taken into account, and there are also some major tourneys coming up very shortly, so expect an update after that.

Edit: I like this unordered tiers thing, maybe I'll just stick with this.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Thanks! I put a lot of effort into it. I'm hoping that keeping it unordered within the tiers will save a lot of controversy (plus it was a lot easier).

Edit: Where's my ragin cajun ROB bro? Can I get a stickeee maybeee?

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
The undisputed best ROB in the country
ShadowRob

Very High
ROBs that have consistently proven themselves in tourney
and beat pros on a regular basis

Holy

OCC

Hugs
Nacker
NinjaLink
Overswarm

High
ROBs that have taken matches from pros
and have consistently done well in strong regions,
or have done exceptional in weaker regions

Bo X7

ChiboSempai/Nintendevil/Darth Waffles/DullRazor

JJvirus (?)

Fatal
Jamnt0ast
JCaesar
Karn
maXXXpower
Stingers
Sudai
t0mmy

Probably some other West Coast ROBs I don't know much about
Mid

Bajisci
Mankosuki
Foo
Mr. E
Ruse
Tantalus
toasty
I hate to brag, but according to my fair share of matches with pros like Redhal, Ultimate Razer, Fatal, and other ROBs like BO X7 , DullRazer, OCC and Holy, that's where I'd put me and some others. Surprised nobody ever hears about him.

Also this is based on your list. Technically that would put me above max, you and Sudai. You guys win all the tourneys but I don't even know how good you are. I thought you (max, jc sudai) where a lot better than Dull and Bo X7 and where like uber pro, but maybe I'm wrong. OUT OF THE ROB'S I'VE PLAYED it might go something like this.

Holy maybe= OCC, > BOX7 maybe = Nintendevil = Darth Waffles = Dullrazer > Sting > JJvirus > Foo.

Inb4flames but it's just based on what I know.

EDIT: ****. Unordered within the tiers >__> that changes everything. aw **** it.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
No worries here =)

For what it's worth, here's my Smash (singles) Resumé. I don't mind sharing it because I'm trying to be more active in the irl scene

5th at a tourney in Scranton, Pennsylvania. I sent the 3rd place person to losers, and 1st went to mew2king =\
I can go dead even against AndyG
I've never been 3-stocked by mew2king. Woo-hoo! I got at least a stock and decent-to-high percent on him every game (5+ games).
I've taken a match off of Holy and lost the set, 1-2. Granted, it was Wifi, but don't hold that against me... Holy is well-known from wifi
I beat Scar 2 games straight...in Brawl (teams)
Wifi against some of you, and more wifi against others (I try to play well-known people like Razer, Holy, etc.)

Lack of drivers license ftl =(
No johnsinb4anyoneelse

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Eventually I'll get some videos that aren't an embarrassment to myself when I stop sandbagging myself and get :srsbsns:. :(

jjvirus

Smash Champion
I like the list, Jcz I woulda thought you'd been in very high though :o

I'll get on eventually :p

EDIT: here is my own list off of what I've watched/played

------
ShadowRob

Very High
------------
Holy
HugS
Nacker
Jamnt0ast
Overswarn
JCaeser

High
-------
Sudai
ChiboSempai
NinjaLink
Fatal
Karn
maXXXpower
Stingers
Bo X7
t0mmy
DullRazor

Mid
----------
Mr. E
Ruse
GwJumpman
toasty
jjvirus
Tantalus

2nd EDIT: Does Dull even do offline? I thought he would've been included in the top ROB post if he did/been asked to make a profile...

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
Notice that Caesar said in his initial post, that the players aren't ordered WITHIN the respective tiers. Which means that players in those tiers are of roughly the same skill/perceived skill/etc/etc.

JC is correct by saying that ordering them within tiers is impossibly hard. Based on this reasoning alone, I agree with the list. Ive seen vids of people in the "tier" above the one I'm in, and know that I can't hold a candle to them. Ive seen vids from people in the "tier" below, and feel I am better than them. The people within the same tier, some may be better/some may be worse, but they are essentially 'theoretical' toss-ups. Overall "match victories" against people in the same tier would be slim.

Ex: based off of JC's initial list Sudai and I theoretically ditto or go to the same tourney. He'd beat me something like... 10-7 or something in dittos (which is worthless), or place equally/round above/round below me, and that may have something to do with strength of draws- hence, we are put in the same "tier".

As such, someone who has the top spot in the high tier, isn't TOO much better, or even ANY better than the third from last. I would venture to say that JC just looked at the names of people and grouped them in similar groups, and then picked an obvious dividing line.

" I know OS is better than these guys... so, he is probably the last person to include in this tier. *begin looking for another dividing line*. Ok, I know t0mmy is legit, and better than these guys here. *group accordingly*"

Again, that's just a hypothetical to kind of illustrate what I think JC had in mind.

Bearing that in mind, the list is IMO, very accurate with taking into account that the lists aren't ordered within tiers.

Edit: Stingers, i rarely do online anymore. I'll play a match or two at AiB or something when Im bored, and do online tourneys for lulz or some quick cash.
IMO, while online is a bad indicator of "how good you really are" it at least provides a basis for comparison. IE, if people have a solid grasp of the funadmentals, advanced stuff with the char, it shows. If an online player's basics are more technically sound than an offline player, it is obvious in comparison of videos and taking into account the well accepted mantra of "wi-fi limits what you can do", then it stands to reason that the person doing more in a limited environment is better than person doing less in an uninterrupted one. While it still provides no measure of "true skill", it illustrates at least a divide between certain people.
Sorry for going off topic, just figured i'd address what stingers said, and do a mini-rant of sorts.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
LOL wow apparently I'm garbage :(

*plans to fix this very soon*

actually...I must be wayyy out of touch with things now that I reviewed the list...

I see definite problems with my placement, but that's completely my fault :) I just know I'm WAY better than where I'm at right now.

lastly: doesn't Karn mostly use MK now? or at least he did when he placed well hahaha [I might be wrong of course :)]

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Bo X7 plays Mario not ROB. I don't see how his rankings can be attributed to his ROB.

And Toasty and Sudai deserve better recognition in my opinion.

Sudai

Stuff here
Bo X7 plays Mario not ROB. I don't see how his rankings can be attributed to his ROB.

And Toasty and Sudai deserve better recognition in my opinion.
I haven't seen Toasty's play much so I can't comment on him, but I feel I'm actually in the correct spot. Though I know a lot, I'm not extremely good. I've never placed well in OoS tournies (top 8 doesn't count for squat at a dual/tri-state tourney, imo) and I don't do anything special. Yeah, I feel I'm in the right spot. : )

Ruse

Fox
Mid

Bajisci
Mankosuki
Mr. E
Ruse
Tantalus
toasty
Yes to this.

Manko and I will go up if we ever move. There aren't any recent vids up of us, either.

I guess I'll have to fix that soon.

Edit:

Shadow is too sick.

lord karn

Smash Master
LOL wow apparently I'm garbage :(

*plans to fix this very soon*

actually...I must be wayyy out of touch with things now that I reviewed the list...

I see definite problems with my placement, but that's completely my fault :) I just know I'm WAY better than where I'm at right now.

lastly: doesn't Karn mostly use MK now? or at least he did when he placed well hahaha [I might be wrong of course :)]
My MK sucks. I only play him in team occasionally. I'm still mostly ROB, although I go Diddy and Snake a lot in tournies now as well.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
toasty I was going off of the results from that big regional C3, since that's the last tournament we were all at together. As I remember, Karn did OK (17th), I got 9th, and you ... well, I won't bring it up. But beyond that, from seeing Karn play in person I know he has a good handle on ROB and much better technical skill than me.

But toasty, you are stuck in a weak region and don't get much practice. You used to definitely be right up there with us, but I just feel like you've dropped off. Watching you getting wrecked in ROB dittos by Tantalus made me cringe. I'm really sorry about that but I'm trying to be as unbiased as possible. You know you're my favorite ROB bro <3<3

Dull is pretty much right too. This list obviously needs some fine-tuning though. A few of the placings didn't have a whole lot of evidence and I was just going on what I remember hearing about them or seeing on videos (Dull, Stingers, Bajisci, Bo X7, and Hugs being the big ones, they may or may not need to be adjusted). I think the list is good for now though, especially for a first draft.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
lol I really don't care bro...you made the right call :)

like I said, it's on me [but WHOA you went off of the C3 results?!?!?! wowwww that was the worst thing ever hahaha] and man I just gave up in those dittos against Tant...I dislike them a lot and didn't feel like trying anymore :( don't get me wrong, not takin this personally =D

toasty's comin back son (in Melee >_>) but I'ma bring my flashy ROB back ^_^

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
To name a few, yes. There were also some on AiB's top ROBs list that I've never heard of before.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I think that anybody who placed top 8 in any offline tourney should be the requirement to get on this list. Generally, if you can make top 8, you're a somebody and those somebodies need to be known.

I'm not just saying that because that's the position I'm in.

emergency

Smash Journeyman
Are me,CJT. and GwJumpman the other robs u dont know much about ? lol
No one knows anything about me~

Probably because local tournies mean almost less as Wifi and my driving johns to go way up north for the biweeklies.

Representation.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Is toasty not within reasonable driving distance of the largest collection of talent in the eastern half of the country? no johns X( I mean, come on, I live in the Midwest, it's different for me...

Jamnt0ast

Smash Journeyman
uhm....... HugS doesnt place anymore because he doesnt play the game, NinjaLink pretty much only CP's rob on snake players, and OS plays MK. Just gonna throw that good stuff out there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom