• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Presents: Mad Monster Melee (Kaiju and Mecha Arena Fighter)

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Okay so you know how Japan is known for having crazy crossovers that never made it to the US, this is the exception. Atari, creators of the classic fighting game Godzilla: Destroy all Monsters Melee has gained the license to various media franchises from movies like Godzilla, Kong, and Gamera to shows such as Ultraman, Power Rangers, and Transformers to video games and everything in between. All to create a massive crossover fighter featuring the bizarre, weird, and wonderful world of giant monster fighting.

This is

MAD MONSTER MELEE

It may not be THAT Melee, but this thread will hopefully pull from the best and most iconic kaiju, superhero, and mecha characters and have them duke it out in fisticuffs, complete with an arcade mode, special moves, and the works.

Godzilla
Gamera
King Kong
Optimus Prime

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Job 1
You may notice that the default roster didn't include any robots, well the first job of the game is

Submit a robot or mecha character

This character must be a giant robot or mecha, it can be from Japan or America, also if it's from imported franchises like Power Rangers make sure you use the imported version. Tell us how they would play and why they should be included.

Job 2
What version of Godzilla will you want to use?
Kong will use his Monsterverse and Gamera will use his Heisei designs, but Godzilla is tricky as he has many different designs to choose from. Submit a specific design you want to be used in this game. It has to be from a live-action film, not animated so no Anime or Comic Godzilla.

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Megazord | RangerWiki | Fandom

Megazord
Power Rangers
An iconic mecha from media as a whole, if you never heard of Power Rangers you defiantly heard of this specific Megazord. It would act as a knight using its Power Sword, Mammoth Sheild, and Lasers to be a great mix-up fighter.

Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S./ Godzilla (Completed) - HobbySearch Anime Robot/SFX  Store

Kiryu Saga Design
Based on the Godzilla from Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla and Tokyo SOS, just felt like my favorite design to me personally.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Job #1:
Mecha Name: Leopardon/Marveller
Mecha Origin: Spider-Man (Supaidaman), 1978
1650846027539.png
1650846036971.png

A somewhat less well-known pick from the annals of mecha history, but I think this one would be quite fun. Leopardon is the mech used by Takuya Yamashiro, an otherwise ordinary motocross racer who's life is changed forever when he comes across a crashed UFO, containing Garia - the last survivor of the Planet Spider. Gaining spider-like powers from Garia after a blood transfusion, and a bracelet containing web-lines and a Spider-Protector, Takuya becomes an emissary from hell - Spider-Man!

Though, he's not the focus of this character. Rather, his mecha - the Leopardon - is. Leopardon fights with a sword and energy shield, not dissimilar to some other mecha - though notably possesses the ability to transform into the Marveller spaceship, which possesses massive salvos of firepower and the like. Not only that, but the Leopardon even has numerous special abilities: such as Arc Turn, allowing it to use the crescent-like symbol on its head as a razor-sharp boomerang, and most prominently his finishing blow, Sword Vigor.

However, it could also be useful to add some of Spidey's own abilities to Leopardon's arsenal too, including his Spider-String and Spider-Net.

Job #2: "Classic" Godzilla

Personally, I feel this one is a necessary inclusion, even if this isn't the final design chosen for him. The idea of him having one costume that actually looks like a man in a suit, sweating his back out after several hours of shooting for a movie, with the implied joke being that the whole game is just a classic Tokusatsu production, is so weirdly appealing to me that I'd love to see it. I don't really know Godzilla too well but I just think this would be neat.

AlRex

Smash Lord
Voltron

If we allow this game to be really strange, we could include basically any giant character whatsoever. I'll only lightly dip into that area for now, and I'll include the classic anime lion combiner robot Voltron, the Defender of the Universe. Voltron Force is experienced with fighting giant monsters, forming its Shield and Blazing Sword to take them on, so it's not much of a stretch to see it fight Godzilla.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Job 1

Optimus Prime (Transformers)

View attachment 351165

Probably one of the most iconic robots/robot like characters in all of pop culture. Who doesn't know him? He can fight with his gun as well as his sword, even incorporate his truck form into some attacks.
BUT PRIME'S TOO SMALL

In all seriousness, he was my second choice after the Megazord so good idea

D

Deleted member

Gypsy Danger
Pacific Rim is basically a big tribute to Kaiju movies. Gypsy is the main mecha who got used in marketing and has a pretty cool weapon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Jet Jaguar

jet-jaguar-1.jpg

Godzilla's buddy and sparring partner, Jet Jaguar was a robot created with the ability to modify his own programming. After growing sentience, Jet would also modify himself to be able to grow to giant sized. He would use this ability to help Godzilla defend the Earth against other giant monsters.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Dino Megazord
Leopardon
Voltron
Optimus Prime
Gypsy Danger
Jet Jaguar

Vote for you top 3 you may vote for your own In 2nd or 3rd place

Also Classic, Heisei, or Kiryu saga Godzilla, which would you rather have

Job 3
Submit a City as a stage
Since this is a giant monster fighting game, we naturally need a place to destory, submit a stage based off a real world city, what would the city be structured like, how large is it, and anything else of note. Dont submit any fictional cities yet that's a later job.

Job 4
Submit an Alien
Submit a robot or monster that originally was from outer space, describe how this monster would play and why they should be included.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Job 3. Tokyo
OIP.rHk4aUqYSf2wgPrJtpaJ9QHaHa.jpg

Everyone knows Godzilla needs to smash Tokyo. That's just what he does.

I see the stage as being a large flat open area with plenty of nice buildings to crush and a scenic mountain background.

Job4.
Gezora from Yog the Monster from Space

Gezora.jpg

Yog is actually an amoeba from outer space that has taken over and mutated a giant squid turning it into Gezora. And let's face it. We need a giant squid monster and this one is a classic. It's been used in many of the Godzilla videogames including being one of the first bosses in the original NES game.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Dino Megazord
Leopardon
Voltron
Optimus Prime
Gypsy Danger
Jet Jaguar

Vote for you top 3 you may vote for your own In 2nd or 3rd place

Also Classic, Heisei, or Kiryu saga Godzilla, which would you rather have

Job 3
Submit a City as a stage
Since this is a giant monster fighting game, we naturally need a place to destory, submit a stage based off a real world city, what would the city be structured like, how large is it, and anything else of note. Dont submit any fictional cities yet that's a later job.

Job 4
Submit an Alien
Submit a robot or monster that originally was from outer space, describe how this monster would play and why they should be included.
1. Optimus Prime (He feels like a solid inclusion, and his transforming gimmick would fit this sort of game really well!)
2. Jet Jaguar (A more obscure pick, but I think he's a pretty good fit for something like this.)
3. Gypsy Danger (Perhaps a little weirder, but I love the concept here! It'd be fun to see it here, IMO.)

I know like next to nothing about the different Godzillas so I won't besmirch your voting process here lol

Job #3:
City Name: New York

If any city gets destroyed or invaded in fiction more than Tokyo, it has to be New York. It's actually got to the point where it's difficult to tally up the amount of property damage that's taken place here across various pieces of media, and weirdly it's quite connected to Godzilla - mostly due to his 90s Western reboot. (You know, the beloved one?)

Oddball

Smash Lord
Oh and put me down for Heisei Godzilla. It's a nice step above original Godzilla without the weird freaky backfins later versions had.
heisei_godzilla_transparent_ver_2__by_jacksondeans_dcxv9th-fullview.png

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Optimus Prime (Same as KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 )
Megazord (My pick yes, but it would be cool to include)
Leopardon

download (14).jpeg

Alien
Showa King Ghidorah
Godzilla's arch nemesis, being a kaiju capable of flight he would give some nice moveset potential, he attacks with his gravity beams and powerful gale force winds.

download (15).jpeg

Sydney
Just by looking at it you fan see that Sydney has some cool landmarks to destroy like the opera house and such.

Hesei Godzilla design gets my vote

D

Deleted member

1. Optimus Prime
2. Voltron
3. Dino Megazord

Heisei

london-aerial-cityscape-river-thames_1.jpg

London
Oy govna'
Lots of iconic landmarks to destroy.

Starro_unleashed.jpg

Starro
Not sure how he'd even fight. He could summon his spores and maybe shoot lazers from his eye. I just think it would be funny tbh.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Optimus Prime has won by a landslide so he will be added to the game

King Ghidorah
Starro
Gezora
Which top 2 would you rather have and why, you may vote for your own in 2nd place.

Tokyo
Sydney
New York
London
Vote for your top 3 of each, you may vote for your own in 2nd or 3rd place.

Job 5
Submit a Monster from a fantasy franchise
We are not only doing scifi monsters, submit a giant monster from the fanatsy genra and how would they play

Job 6
Submit alternate colors for Godzilla and King Kong
Like smash this game will features alternate colors for its combatants (about 12). This job submit alternate colors and an origin for them if applicable, the better the reference the better. This isnt alternate costumes as those will be a different mechanic later. This is colors for Godzilla and King Kong, remember they use their Hesei and Monsterverse design respectively. A maximum of three colors are allowed.

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Fantasy Monster
cdnb.artstation.com/p/assets/covers/images/043/...

Barlog
A monster from the Lord of the Ring franchise, this beast uses flames and whips as powerful melee attacks.

Godzilla Colors
Black and White (Original Godzilla)
Silver (Mechagodzilla)
Glowing Red (Burning Godzilla)

Kong Colors
Black with silver hairs (Silverback Gorilla)
Golden Yellow (Son of Kong)
Albino

Last edited:
Fantasy monster:
Cthulthu (Literature)

Well, a Lovecraft monster would be awesome to have in Mad Monster Melee, since he would be based on Lovecraftian mythos and his size perfectly fits for Titanic Battle.
He would use his claws and his facial tentacles.

1. Tokyo
2. New York
3. London

1. King Ghidorah
2. Gezora

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Ghidorah
Gezora

New York
Tokyo
Sydney

Fantasy monster....
The Cyclops from Sinbad

cyclops.jpg

The guy is slow, has a low jump, and is heavy, but hits hard, uses a big club and just for the heck of it, we'll give him an optic blast because I think it would be funny.

Three colors for Kong
Realistic Brown
Black and white
and white and blue Yeti style

Colors for Godzilla
standard Heisei Godzilla colors
Green like the cartoon, some of the early movie posters, and the Marvel comic
black and bloody-ish red Shin Godzilla style

Top Bottom