• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Premium Update

Hey Smashers,

Update Approaching.jpg

A little over a week from now (Monday, Oct 25) we are making an update to our Premium Membership program. We wanted to make sure everyone was aware of the update and why we are making it.

Smashboards Premium dates back to when the original owner Gideon who owned the website in the 2000s. When Premium launched in (we think) 2004/5 it was because of the explosive growth of the site. We haven't been able to locate what the original cost of Premium Membership was, but we know in 2009 it was below:
  • 1 Month - $3
  • 3 Months - $5 (45% discount)
  • 6 Months - $9 (50% discount)
  • 12 Months - $15 (58% discount)
When I purchased the site from Major League Gaming back in 2012 I kept everything the same. So, in more than decade there have been zero changes to the cost of Premium. Unfortunately, some things have risen in costs as you can imagine in the last 10+ years. When deciding how to make an adjustment we decided that the value for one month would remain unchanged and we'd simply reduce the discounts for the longer term purchase.
  • 1 Month - $3 (no change)
  • 3 Months - $8 (11% discount)
  • 6 Month - Removed; this was pretty unpopular (<5% of people chose this)
  • 12 - $28 (22% discount)
What does this mean?
If you already have Premium, we believe you will be locked in at the old rate. If you cancel though, and purchase again later, the new rate would kick in. Any new purchases after the 25th of October would be for the new rate. We are also giving a week notice so that, should you want to purchase the longer term Premium Membership now you still can at the heavily discounted price.

Why should I purchase Premium?
In addition to all the cool stuff below, Smashboards costs 10s of thousands a year to operate and has been a hub of the community for a long time. It is one of the oldest (20+ years) and largest (nearly 300,000 members, millions of monthly page views) forums still in operation. By purchasing Premium you help ensure the site can continue to operate and that the history of the Smash community is preserved.

Premium Benefits in Blue
Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 11.37.33 AM.png

Many thanks to all those who have supported the site, now and in the past,
-AlphaZealot (Smashboards owner)

Last edited:

Comments

Hm well i thought the old premium was already overpriced for what it offered. costs go up? does premium actually cost anything to have? i doubt letting people have custom ranks really costs you much.

Last edited:
Hm well i thought the old premium was already overpriced for what it offered. costs go up? does premium actually cost anything to have? i doubt letting people have custom ranks really costs you much.
It removes advertisements primarily, the site isn't free to run and the post goes over those details

If I get premium will you finally give me my missing trophy points for having been an mod / super mod / admin? :b:

Top Bottom