• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards General Interview #1: ZeRo

Welcome to SmashBoards Writer'- Oh, this is a twist. The start of something new? General interviews? Starting with the one and only famous Smash 4 player ZeRo! - It makes sense considering even he was a SmashBoards writer.

In the future, these general interviews will have a bit more of a twist. Without further due still, please, give ZeRo a nice welcome!

Featuring our Late Christmas gift himself: ZeRo. Trust me, this wasn't the same face he had doing the interview!​

Thirdkoopa: Tell us a little bit about yourself!

ZeRo: Haha, well! It's always been hard for me to answer this question. You see, I wanna say 'I'm strange' or 'weird', but isn't everyone to some extent, well, interesting like that? Exactly.

As a person I'm very mood based. And that swings a lot, I'd say. I''m kinda shy, goofy, very quiet or very loud when comfortable.

I'm somebody who's very driven, and, when that motivation is found, I tend to be very determined to accomplish whatever I set myself to. Smash, YouTube, and others can be used as examples here.

I enjoy reading, Japanese food, visual novel games (Ace attorney, Layton, Zero Escape), every single smash bros game and absolutely adore and love my fiance Vanessa :) - I also like law and order, star fox and other stuff. But Smash is the main thing :)

Thirdkoopa: How did you get started with Smash to becoming so involved in the community?

ZeRo: I've always been a big Nintendo fan. My mom brought Smash 64 home one day, and been stuck on it. Eventually found the national scene in Chile, and went from there. I slowly started doing more and cooler things, and it just became the full time thing for me to do that it is now.

Thirdkoopa: Full time? What inspired that?!

ZeRo: Fun! It's a passion of mine. I enjoy it, it's a great time. Otherwise I'd be in school.

Thirdkoopa: How do you see the community heading in the future?

ZeRo: eSports! Every year we're getting bigger and better. It's a matter of time for things to unfold. Biggest thing is more Nintendo support at this point :)

Thirdkoopa: Favorite Stage?

ZeRo: Ya' know? I don't know, lol. Brawl.. used to be Halberd. In Melee...Brinstar...Hmmm, in Smash 4? Well, I kinda like Smashville, LOL.

Thirdkoopa: How about favorite character?

ZeRo: All time Smash Bros? Fox. Main him in 64, Melee, PM. In Smash 4? Diddy Kong!!! And Sheik and Falcon come close.

Thirdkoopa: You were once a SmashBoards Writer before your Smash 4 career - Do you ever plan on at least doing any guest articles, and have you written since then?

ZeRo: I write a lot personally for other matters, always been a writer. Just didn't have time to continue :( - and maybe?? Not sure haha. Who knows!

Thirdkoopa: Nice, nice. What got you into Smash Bros?

ZeRo: Nintendo characters! Huge, huge nintendo fan. It was obvious I had to play smash seeing all the characters involved are from Nintendo... well, mostly now, haha.

Thirdkoopa: Wow, a Fiance? How did you meet her?

ZeRo: AT A SMASH TOURNAMENT A WHILE AGO! Now we're getting married. Smash can connect people like that man, it's more than just... a game, you know?

Thirdkoopa: Where do you hope to see yourself in five years with your involvement in Smash?

ZeRo: Just, a much better youtube content producer, keeping up the tourney results and just more of the same, really.

Thirdkoopa: Is there any personal goal you have in the Smash Community?

ZeRo: I wanted to be the best at some point... and I've done that a few times now, my goal is to just keep growing the scene, my channel and continue enjoying amazing memories with my friends.

Thirdkoopa: Outside of Smash Bros., what other hobbies do you partake in?

ZeRo: Writing is a big part of me. Scripts, mini-novels, and more stuff like that. It's fun :) I also enjoy competition in general, in almost anything. I like a lot of things really, singing, going places, watching all type of shows, etc, etc, I like a lot of things :p

Thirdkoopa: That's a lot! To wrap this all up, I know you're a busy guy (a common trend with people interviewed by SmashBoards!), but would you be up for answering questions in the users comment section? Where can people more interested in knowing you get to reach you at?

ZeRo: Depends on the questions :p

Best way: @TSMZeRo on twitter.

Once again, give a warm round of applause to ZeRo! Be sure to check out all of his content through his Twitter. Did you like this interview? Would you like to see it stick to other Smash writers? Any ideas to expand these for future coverage Let us know! While you're at it, if you enjoyed the interview, contact the interviewer himself here. Stay tuned for new years for a special extended interview with Xiivi and only more to come!

Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

Zero, what is the best song to listen too while playing smash that isn't in smash?

(You better answer this question some point in your life... OR ELSE YOU WILL GET THHHEEE NASTIEST YELP REVIEW. That is all)

<3 Zero

I follow his Youtube and sometimes twitter, so I knew a lot of this already, but it's fun to see him featured here. Keep it going, Zero!

ZeRo, if you see this, I was wondering if you still played Melee at all? Obviously you'd want to focus on smash 4 given your current success, but do you still ever play friendlies at events or anything?

I have a lot of respect for this man, I'm sure he's a great guy. Congrats on almost getting married too.

ZeRo is such a great guy. I don't see how anyone could dislike him. :)
Trust me, a lot of people dislike/hate him. Whether because he's a "tier *****" or because he's too good in this game.
A lot of people hated Ken because he used to be Melee's #1 player. Same with ZeRo.

Zero, here's a nice tip; do video analyses of sendings from people who subscribe to you on twitch.
For example; Pick one sub's video a week and analyse it on stream.
It should help alot of players watching!

Last edited:
Nice interview indeed! :3

Congratz on the soon-to-be marriage, Zero. Does your fiancee play smash as well? and do you practice with her?

Zero:
Do you think the top characters in smash 4 right now are a fair representation of the 'best' characters, or are they simply the 'easiest' characters to learn? Are there any characters you expect to be more common once people develop them further like we saw happen with Ryu?

D
And now the Law & Order theme song is stuck in my head. Thanks, ZeRo.

Nice interview, by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
probably the whole autism thing.
That's Mew2King you're thinking of. That said, Zero's been known for throwing hissy fits on Twitter where Sm4sh is concerned every now and then. Autism or no, he should not be doing that as the face of the sm4sh community. M2K can at least be excused at times when he does something similar since he actually falls somewhere on the spectrum and personally speaking as someone with Asperger's, I know its hard to realize sometimes why saying/doing certain things both irl and on the internet is frowned upon by society.

Zero, do you think you could do a video some time about the process you follow when learning a new character? A general overview of how you start off, all the way up through what you are doing weeks or months later. Thanks!

@TSM ZeRo Are you ever going to answer these questions are at least some?

Here is my question. How do you handle tournament nerves? When I watch you play you seem so calm and emotionless. How did you develop this and what are some tips for newer players to develop this?

Alright ZeRo. Let me propose my question then:
How often do you travel to play Sm4sh? I'd like to travel to P@X to play some of the bigger names, but sadly, I'm stuck in New York, meaning no matter how big I can try to get over here, it won't amount to much, as I can't reach out to other states. How often do you travel outside of your home state to play Sm4sh?

I have a lot of respect for this man, I'm sure he's a great guy. Congrats on almost getting married too.

Trust me, a lot of people dislike/hate him. Whether because he's a "tier *****" or because he's too good in this game.
A lot of people hated Ken because he used to be Melee's #1 player. Same with ZeRo.
Wasn't expecting to see you here... anywho, Yeah ZeRo definitely deserves some more respect in my opinion, can't get this far into the scene without so much determination.

Top Bottom