• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: The Ultimate Game Collection! (Updates every weekend)

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Puyo Puyo Tetris

A combination of 2 of the most iconic puzzle games, Puyo Puyo and Tetris

This is technically not a game collection as it is a wholly unique game with a story mode and everything, it is more of a crossover like MvC

Aesthetic

The Ultimate Gaming Store

This would be massive game store with statues of iconic characters on the floors, walls and ceiling and sprawling shelves of all the games available in the collection.

You would be able to walk around the store in first person and interact with the shelves of games they are "selling"

Each game in the collection is on these shelves and because of that each game has a full recreation of their original packaging with full scans of the box art, inserts and disc/cartridge

Arcade games have their cabinets available to play and have a full scan of their original marquis and sides.

This playable menu is completely customizable from how the floor and walls looks to what time of day it is.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
JOB 9
Resubmitting Portal.
JOB 1: Portal

A puzzle-platformer that is widely loved, has an incredible narrative, and is really fantastic for the uninitiated. The portal gun makes for a simple yet complex tool, and it's linear enough not to lose first-time players (like something that Minecraft or GTA could do by complete accident). And the "Aha!" moments it touts are some of the most clever in gaming.
I'll have an atmosphere submitted sometime tonight, most likely.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I say we make our aesthetic a theme park.

There’s a hub world and various different areas of the park have arcade machines which you can go to. You can customize your park layout and we can have some more fun stuff in other areas. The park isn't too big, think like Nintendo Land size but with more space for each area. If you want to just jump into a game there’s a menu that lists every game which has an aesthetic similar to the old disney world tickets list

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Whoops it looks like I forgot to vote for the horror game job. Oh well, the winner won by such a landslide anyway.

Also did you skip jobs 7 and 9? Or were those the last two achievements jobs?

Job #8

Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

1665507757194.png

I might be showing my age real hard here, but one of my most formative experiences with video games was the phase of my elementary and middle school life where I would play dozens of point-and-click escape room games. Either mobile games or Flash games right on the web browser, they were truly my bread and butter time wasters when I didn't feel like playing my Nintendo DS. I also have to assume I'm not alone in this for my age bracket. Those escape room Flash games were free and easy to find, so many people are familiar with the concept. That's not even getting started with how popular real, physical escape rooms have become over the past few years.

Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (or just 999) is really the platonic ideal of that simple point-and-click genre that I think should represent it in our collection. The Zero Escape trilogy is pretty popular, but 999 is the first entry, so no prior knowledge is needed. As a professionally made game, not just a Flash project, it contains about ten carefully crafted escape rooms that utilize fully programmed and creative puzzle mechanics along with brain-teasing solutions that I think are just the right amount of difficulty.

The polished and ingenious puzzle rooms are why I think 999 should be included, but I can't not mention the colorful cast of characters and the infamously mind-screwy story, too. Something for everyone, eh?

Job #10

The Home Theater

1665508760181.png

Who doesn't love that classic in-home game room that some rich folks have? The way I imagine it would be set up more like a home movie theater, so the screen would be the focus. Every manner of console is plugged into the screen through a big fire hazard of some kind. This way, we can provide detailed 3D models of all the consoles for players to inspect, which feels important. Then there's side rooms where the player can pull out any game in the collection, which allows them to take a look at the box art and packaging. The menu would involve just scrolling through the shelves to pick out a game. It's all very homely and humble, which I think would be more relatable to players.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Puzzle Game - Catherine Full Body

Theme - Some sort of gallery/exhibit similar to rare replay but with more details.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
We're going to be trying out something Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario proposed to solve some games not having a round number/multiple of 5 for its amount of achievements. tonygameman tonygameman , you have one week from now to submit two extra achievements for Super Mario Bros. so we can have 30 in total. If you don't want to, I'll be able to add extra achievements instead. If you need more time just let me know.

Also, an announcement to all - I will have the front page updated soon. I accidentally closed the tab I was editing on the other day and that was a solid 15 minutes of work, so I felt pretty crap about it, so that's why it hasn't been done yet.

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Puzzle Game Submission:

Lemmings

Lemmings.jpg

Lemmings was one of the most best-received video games in the 90s. Alongside this, Lemmings is one of the most widely ported and best-selling video games out there. Basically, what you do in this video game is you guide a group of anthropomorphised lemmings through a number of obstacles to a designated exit. To save the required number of lemmings to win, one must determine how to assign a limited number of eight different skills to specific lemmings that allow the selected lemming to alter the landscape, to affect the behaviour of other lemmings, or to clear obstacles to create a safe passage for the rest of the lemmings (description from Wikipedia).

This video game spawned multiple remakes, sequels and spinoffs as well as be the predecessor of the modern-real time strategy genre of video games. That's why I feel Lemmings should join the ultimate video game compilation.

Theme:

Museum

EPj_wBzWoAMeonG.jpg

Inspired from the National Videogame Museum decor, the theme of the Ultimate Game Collection will be museum themed. Basically, there will be different exhibits themed about different genres. You get to see various boxarts of the video games, instruction manuals, commercials/ads, interviews from developers of the video games, see concept art, etc. You are also able to view a museum guide to take you directly to an exhibit for one of the video games in the collection.

Baysha

Smash Ace
baba.jpg

Baba Is You

Sure, this is probably a little mean. But I feel its unique enough and the mechanics are easy enough to understand at a base level.

FazDude

Smash Master
Puzzle Game: Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine

"This is just Puyo Puyo!!!!!!" well does puyo puyo have Sir Ffuzzy-Logik? checkmate 😎

Okay, in all seriousness, I'm all for having default Puyo Puyo in, but I just have more nostalgia for Mean Bean. I really love a lot of the submissions so far, but I just wanna get this one in.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
The Secret of Monkey Island

Admittedly I havent played this one but point and click adventure games are a huge genre and as one of the biggest pioneers of the genre I think this would be the best representative of them.

I was considering submitting Grim Fandango, which I have played, but this one has more history so I went with this instead

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
(to Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule ) You fellow, based user of culture. Now you're officially worthy of that username, as the Mighty Pirate of Melee IslandTM himself would tell for being so proud.

I can already imagine some achievements and side content (if that Sheng Long post implies something) like Special Edition (2009)'s voice acting, different sound cards (with Roland LAPC-1/MT-32 being a default option), a hint system for newcomers/beginners, et cetera.

Speaking of former, relating on Super Mario Bros's two extras (for Janx):
  • We Designed Them For a Reason - Beat the game without warping/using shortcuts.
  • Walking on Clouds - Climb to the Coin Heaven (can be earned in these levels: 2-1, 3-1, 5-2, 6-2).

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Atmosphere: Desert Island

A concept that directly inspired the creation of this thread! The games menu of the collection basically looks like this, but there's a boat washed up on shore that games and consoles are spilling out of, as well as a huge TV. When you return to the main menu after getting some rewards, a cargo plane flies overhead and drops down a box of "supplies", AKA collectibles. You can also adjust what time of day it is on the island, how rough the waves are, all that. At night, constellations appear that form characters from games featured in the collection, and during the day and afternoon, the clouds have a similar effect.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Submissions are closed - thanks, everyone, for the puzzle games and atmospheres!

For the first category, your choices are:

Tetris ( Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds )
Chip's Challenge ( Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario )
The Secret Of Monkey Island ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )
Lemmings ( AlteredBeast AlteredBeast )
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine ( FazDude FazDude )
Portal (me)
Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors ( Dan Quixote Dan Quixote )
Angry Birds ( Northsouthmap Northsouthmap )
Puyo Puyo Tetris ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
Baba Is You ( Baysha Baysha )
Catherine: Full Body ( nirvanafan nirvanafan )

In making this chronological list, I learned that 999 released on the same day as Angry Birds. Huh. Anyways, vote for your top 3!

1. Tetris
2. Angry Birds
3. The Secret Of Monkey Island

And here are the submissions for the second category!

MvTI (Multiversal Travel Institute) ( Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario )
The Ultimate Gaming Store ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
Theme Park ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )
The Home Theater ( Dan Quixote Dan Quixote )
Some sort of gallery/exhibit similar to rare replay but with more details ( nirvanafan nirvanafan )
Museum ( AlteredBeast AlteredBeast )
Computer and Pixel Art ( DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 )
Desert Island (me)

Vote for your top 3! Remember, this will affect many of our jobs apart from game submissions going forward.

1. Theme Park
2. Museum
3. MvTI

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Game

1. Tetris
2. Portal
3. Baba is you

Aesthetic

1. Theme Park
2. Museum
3. MvTI

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1. Portal
2. Tetris
3. Monkey Island

1. Museum
2. Theme Park
3. Island

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
btw, what's the policy here on voting for our own submissions? Disallowed entirely or just not in 1st place?

1. Tetris
2. Portal
3. Puyo Puyo Tetris

1. Museum
2. The Ultimate Gaming Store
3. Desert Island

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Hey all, I'm back with the results!

Tetris: 27
Chip's Challenge: 2
The Secret of Monkey Island: 8
Lemmings: 9
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine: 2
Portal: 22
Puyo Puyo Tetris: 4
Angry Birds: 12
Baba Is You: 1
Catherine Full Body: 2

Our first puzzle game is the all-time classic, Tetris, submitted by Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds !

Multiversal Travel Institute (MvTI): 9
The Ultimate Gaming Store: 10
Theme Park: 14
Home Theater: 5
Gallery/exhibit
Museum: 22
Computer & Pixel Art:
Desert Island: 8

According to AlteredBeast AlteredBeast 's submission, our game will take place within a museum dedicated to videogames!

Inspired from the National Videogame Museum decor, the theme of the Ultimate Game Collection will be museum themed. Basically, there will be different exhibits themed about different genres. You get to see various boxarts of the video games, instruction manuals, commercials/ads, interviews from developers of the video games, see concept art, etc. You are also able to view a museum guide to take you directly to an exhibit for one of the video games in the collection.
Keep this post in mind as we continue the thread.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Submit a shooter game

Any game where you play as a character with a gun is eligible - first or third person!

Submit a way for exhibits to be categorized

By era? Console? Genre? Publisher? COLOR?! Describing how the exhibits will look in your submission is also encouraged.

Submit achievements for Resident Evil 4 and Tetris

As with the last achievement jobs, copypasting from official achievements is perfectly fine, especially if you're not as familiar with a game.

You'll have until this time next week (Saturday) to get your submissions in for all of the above!

Last edited:

Baysha

Smash Ace

Doom (Classic)

I'm submitting The Ultimate Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom. Okay this probably won't be accepted because these were all released separately, but allow me to make my case. These are all pretty much the same game but with unique levels and a few added bits of new content. Therefore, for people not into classic Doom, this would basically be 3 of the same game each with their own slots. This would also allow us to get each game into it without having to get it voted in 3 separate jobs.

As for why I didn't just submit one of them, each one of them brings something unique to the table that I feel would be lost if you didn't bring the others. Doom 1 is the first that broke new ground and brings the levels that I believe people generally consider better than those of II's. Doom II brings some of the most iconic monsters and weapons in the franchise. And Final Doom has the challenging Plutonia levels and also brings what, in my opinion, has made Doom stand the test of time, levels made by the community with TNT Evilution.

Also, this is technically not a compilation. 😎

Yeah Faz also submitted Doom but I started typing this before that and this is technically different. His sub technically doesn't even have Thy Flesh Consumed.

FazDude

Smash Master
Yeah Faz also submitted Doom but I started typing this before that and this is technically different. His sub technically doesn't even have Thy Flesh Consumed.
oh yeah well my sub has the funni "it runs doom" joke :troll:

In all seriousness, I do think all three games should be considered seperate, but I totally get why they should be included as a bundle. In either case, I'd rather stick to one DOOM "slot" for now.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium

Star Wars Battlefront II (2005)

Tough choice between this and Goldeneye for me.

Top Bottom