• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards has created: Super Mario Smash Bros!

BlustersBest

Smash Journeyman
The Minions

Probably an unpopular pick, but there is a double tie here. First, the studio that created the Minions, Illumination Entertainment, is of course making the Super Mario movie. Secondly, Illumination's parent company, Universal, is responsible for Super Nintendo World in Universal Studios Japan. They've appeared in lots of promotional material related to these two projects, and I think they would fit in well with the rest of the roster.

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Inspector Gadget

4ba395b8e0f8fad4ac3437427c7a8206--blue-heels-inspector-gadget.jpg

Given the fact that we have a Super Mario Bros. Super Show stage, we should definitely have more representation for the DiC Entertainment/WildBrain era of Mario. Therefore, look no further than Inspector Gadget! This dimwitted cyborg police inspector actually appeared on the Super Mario Bros Super Show once in live action. He can have a quirky moveset with his gadgets of course! He would also come with a slew of content from other DiC Entertainment/WildBrain owned IPs. Go gadget go!

BlustersBest

Smash Journeyman
Inspector Gadget

View attachment 358250

Given the fact that we have a Super Mario Bros. Super Show stage, we should definitely have more representation for the DiC Entertainment/WildBrain era of Mario. Therefore, look no further than Inspector Gadget! This dimwitted cyborg police inspector actually appeared on the Super Mario Bros Super Show once in live action. He can have a quirky moveset with his gadgets of course! He would also come with a slew of content from other DiC Entertainment/WildBrain owned IPs. Go gadget go!
Only if his Neutral B is throwing a Brown Brick at his opponents.

Baysha

Smash Ace
Don't really have any character ideas atm.

Conquest: RPG battle. Paper Mario (Paper Mario's cap) vs Mario and Luigi (Starlow hat)

AlRex

Smash Lord
Original_Godzilla_render.png

Godzilla, another Japanese icon, and one that would be kind of strange to see suddenly appear. Plus I'm still sad for what initially happened to him back when I ran the Pop Culture Clash thread. He can use his atomic breath streams or even fly around with them, balance on his tail for a kick forward, send out a nuclear pulse from his body, and a whole bunch of weird things in various comics and other media, ranging from becoming composed of demons from Hell, playing basketball, becoming an EVA Unit...there is a lot of Godzilla stuff, and while I wouldn't necessarily say to make him do all of those strange things for his moveset, Godzilla is definitely a character who has worked in a wide variety of tones before. He can also be a giant character, functionally similar in that regard to the Iron Giant in MultiVersus.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
SD Gundam

Gundam is one of the biggest franchises out there with hundreds of thousands of appearances with shows, manga, games and merchandise.

SD or Super Deformed is a chibi style that was popularized with Gundam.

Having Gundam here would be a fun and unexpected addition

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
By removing my self-vote, FazDude's Microsoft list wins

World 1-1 will be the 6th form of Mushroom Kingdom!

Garfield

What better way is there to introduce non-game characters into Smash than with a perpetual meme? I feel this one isn't too out of left field, but also really funny - Garfield is also, as far as I can tell, not popular in Japan so it could increase his popularity. Helps he already has a moveset to use. Also, the potential for Nickelodeon hats here is great. I do at least imagine Garfield's promo material would promote NASB (or a sequel to it, depending on the timeframe)

Mario conquest: Donkey Kong 80s (Wario, arcade marque and bezel hat) vs. Donkey Kong 90s (Mario, SNES cartridge hat)
Okay as cool of a choice as Garfield is, I have another cat character I’ve been wanting to submit for a while.
Hello Kitty

Not only is this feline a worldwide icon who is a instantly recognizable, she’s no stranger to crossovers and she’s even appeared in a Mario game before! I’m not 100% sure what her moveset would entail, but I still really think she’d be an excellent fit in the game aesthetically and tonally.

I’d also be willing to add more Sanrio characters as alternate costumes. If nobody else, I’d choose Melody since she’s the other one who appeared in a Mario game.

Oh also since I forgot, conquest:
The Speedrunner Matchup! Mario 64 (Team Mario, N64 Mario hats) VS Mario Odyssey (Team Wario, Cappy eyes Wedding hats)
Popeye

With early connections to the Mario franchise and being a natural born fighter, I think Popeye would be a fantastic way to kick off the Mario Smash guest list.
Mickey Mouse

View attachment 358210

yes,the greatest icon of cartoons on Super Mario Smash Bros. well,a crossover between Disney and Nintendo was on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate,having Sora as the last fighter with Disney's partcipation. i think that mickey is a excelent guest fighter
View attachment 358213
Fred Flinstone

yes I am doing this for the meme. A classic cartoon character. It wouldn't be the first time Mario has delt with cavemen and dinosaurs. You could make a moveset that pulls from both the cartoons and the NES game. He'd come with content from his own show and other classic Hanna Barbera shows.
The Minions

Probably an unpopular pick, but there is a double tie here. First, the studio that created the Minions, Illumination Entertainment, is of course making the Super Mario movie. Secondly, Illumination's parent company, Universal, is responsible for Super Nintendo World in Universal Studios Japan. They've appeared in lots of promotional material related to these two projects, and I think they would fit in well with the rest of the roster.
Inspector Gadget

View attachment 358250

View attachment 358272
Godzilla, another Japanese icon, and one that would be kind of strange to see suddenly appear. Plus I'm still sad for what initially happened to him back when I ran the Pop Culture Clash thread. He can use his atomic breath streams or even fly around with them, balance on his tail for a kick forward, send out a nuclear pulse from his body, and a whole bunch of weird things in various comics and other media, ranging from becoming composed of demons from Hell, playing basketball, becoming an EVA Unit...there is a lot of Godzilla stuff, and while I wouldn't necessarily say to make him do all of those strange things for his moveset, Godzilla is definitely a character who has worked in a wide variety of tones before. He can also be a giant character, functionally similar in that regard to the Iron Giant in MultiVersus.
SD Gundam

Gundam is one of the biggest franchises out there with hundreds of thousands of appearances with shows, manga, games and merchandise.

SD or Super Deformed is a chibi style that was popularized with Gundam.

Having Gundam here would be a fun and unexpected addition
Shrek

somebody has to do it. I don't think I need to say much other than Universal and Nintendo seem to have a pretty strong relationship and I think he fits in well with the rest of the cast.
  1. The most recent adoption in the Nicktoons household, Garfield!
  2. The apple-loving merch juggernaut from Japan, Hello Kitty!
  3. Mario's common anscestor from the Thimble Theatre, Popeye!
  4. The leader of the club that's made for you and me, Mickey Mouse!
  5. The father of all high quality fathers, Fred Flintstone!
  6. The despicable disciples of Gru, the Minions!
  7. The brown-brick-building, DVD-menu-guiding Swiss-army detective, Inspector Gadget!
  8. The original atomic anti-hero kaiju, Godzilla!
  9. The cutsified gun of freedom, SD Gundam!
  10. The lovely, lively ogre who made ayssmetrical eyebrows cool, Shrek!
Please vote for your top 5 - #1 and #2 get 3, #3 gets 2; and #4 and #5 get 1
Small thing to note: if a Western character wins this job, the immediate next character will be Eastern - same for vice versa

1. Paper Mario (Papercraft Mario helmet, Wario) vs. Mario & Luigi (Mario, Starlow hat)
  2. Donkey Kong 80s (Arcade bezel hat) vs. Donkey Kong 90s (SNES cartridge hat, Mario)

Last edited:

Baysha

Smash Ace
Voting for Pop Culture Clash 2:
1. Godzilla
2. Gadget
3. Minions
4. Fred Flintstone
5.Hello Kitty

Mario is on Mario and Luigi team because he likes his brother and wants to support him and Wario is on Paper Mario team because he thought "paper" in this context meant money and it was too late when he found out it was just regular paper.

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
1. Inspector Gadget
2. Popeye
3. Godzilla
4. Fred Flintstone
5. Mickey Mouse
Wowie

D

Deleted member

1. Mickey
2. Hello Kitty
3. Popeye
4. Minons
5. Gadget

Last edited by a moderator:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
  1. SD Gundam = 1
  2. Shrek = 1
  3. Garfield = 3
  4. Godzilla = 12
  5. Mickey Mouse = 12
  6. Fred Flintstone = 12
  7. Minions = 15
  8. Hello Kitty = 17
  9. Inspector Gadget = 22
  10. Popeye = 23
We have a winner! Tough to the finnish cuz' he eats his spinach, Popeye the Sailor Man will be joining the battle as the second (technically third) crossover character and first guest fighter! This means other King Features properties are disconfirmed, and the next fighter will be an Eastern guest.

Additionally, we will be doing the Donkey Kong Conquest, very fitting.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Submit Popeye's moveset and Final Smash!

Usually I'd do these as seperate jobs, but I feel there could be a bit of dissonance with the use of spinach (Final Smash? comeback mechanic? entrance animation?) so I'll group these two jobs together

Submit a victory theme for Popeye!

I don't really think this one needs to be done as a job, it's quite obvious LMAO - but in case anyone has a better idea or a different take on how the jingle should be used I'll still do it.

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
I'm honestly quite satisfied with Popeye's inclusion- considering his relation and significance to Mario's creation, he's just a perfect fit

Anyways, Moveset ideas:

Any time Popeye lands a hit with Special Zoom or Finishing Zoom, his opponent will temporarily transform into a mass of smaller objects that they are supposedly made out of or associated with, such as DK becoming a bunch of bananas. This is something we could have a job for designing, if accepted.

Standard Special: Windup Punch
Essentially a reskinned Falcon Punch, this move has Popeye reel his fist back (causing his arm to coil up like a snake in the process) before he unleashes a mighty punch!

Side Special: Projectile Punch
A random projectile comes flying towards Popeye, but he punches it away to send it flying towards his opponents. He punches random objects from the Popeye arcade game, such as bottles and skulls, but they all function the same. They bounce forwards a short distance, not unlike Mario's fireballs.

Up Special: Sailor Upper
Popeye leaps into the air with a powerful uppercut! But if he hits somebody, he'll transition into a series of multiple rapid punches into the opponent's chin before one final additional uppercut launches them away.

Down Special: Cartoon Counter
Popeye smiles as he steels himself. In a rush of cartoon energy, Popeye manages to tank a hit from an opponent, and counter it with a highly exaggerated chest bump! This causes the opponent to reel back in a daze, which Popeye can easily follow up on.

Final Smash: Strong to the finich!
Popeye whips out a can of spinach and crunches it inside his fist, causing the contents to launch into the air and land inside his mouth! With a new flow of power, Popeye proceeds to fight as usual, but his movement speed and attack power is doubled for six seconds! He also receives super armor for this time.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Submit cosmetics for Popeye!

Please submit 20 pieces of cosmetic content for Popeye (not including the Popeye hat, which is included by default) - you can have any distribution between hats/trails/patterns you want, and while it should primarily focus on Thimble Theater characters you can also add other King Features licenses, including those they don't actually own, such as the American Dennis the Menace; Cuphead; Archie Comics; Moomin; Betty Boop; the Crazy Frog; and Hagar the Horrible.

Submit two stages for Popeye!

Please submit up to two stages for Popeye! These should be specifically Popeye/Thimble Theater themed stages.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
  1. Olive Oyl hat
  2. Bluto beard
  3. The Jeep hat
  4. Sea Hag nose and hood (has warts like in the cancelled movie)
  5. Sea Hag warts pattern (non-customisable)
  6. Wimpy bowler hat
  7. King Blozo crown
  8. Sea Hag's vulture mouth hat
  9. Alice the Goon's hat and nose
  10. Spinach hat
  11. Spinach trail
  12. Spinach pattern (non-customisable)
  13. Betty Boop mask
  14. Crazy Frog mouth hat
  15. Drone (Crazy Frog) hat
  16. Cuphead mask
  17. Mugman mask
  18. King Dice mask
  19. Moomin hat
  20. Snufkin hat

Rough House Cafe

The perfect arena for a classic bar fight, this stage is inside the bar and basically a plain walkoff, however there are 4 platforms that are bar stools - the bar stools are soft platforms and while you can walk through their legs no problen, you can also attack the legs to shove the bar stool into the direct next one, launching away anyone on the next bar stool and changing the layout. You can even slide the bar stools off-stage! This stage also has a ceiling.

Thimble Theatre

Ever seen those custom Smash stages that take place inside a comic book? This is one of those! The comic pages will gradually change, changing the layout in the process. Nothing within the comics themselves are interactable though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

depositphotos_98506784-stock-photo-popeye-village-sweethaven-village.jpg

Sweethaven
Popeye's home from the Robin Williams movie and a real world location you can visit. Players fight on a port with colourful houses in the background. There ks a docked ship that players can climb onto. The other Popeye characters appear in the background.

Sea_Hag's_island.png

Sea Hag's Island
In terms of layout this is almost like Spiral Mountain, without all the turning stuff. The Hag herself will appear and her vulture will acta s a stage hazard.

Last edited by a moderator:

FazDude

Smash Master
Stage: The Olive
1660243960568.png

Popeye wouldn't be much of a sailor man if it weren't for his trusty sailboat. I could imagine this stage being similar to canon Smash's Pirate Ship, with the boat occasionally crashing into some rocks.

(also til king features owns some distribution stake in cuphead that's so cool)

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
My cosmetics win by default

1. Olive Oyl hat
  2. Bluto beard
  3. The Jeep hat
  4. Sea Hag nose and hood (has warts like in the cancelled movie)
  5. Sea Hag warts pattern (non-customisable)
  6. Wimpy bowler hat
  7. King Blozo crown
  8. Sea Hag's vulture mouth hat
  9. Alice the Goon's hat and nose
  10. Spinach hat
  11. Spinach trail
  12. Spinach pattern (non-customisable)
  13. Betty Boop mask
  14. Crazy Frog mouth hat
  15. Drone (Crazy Frog) hat
  16. Cuphead mask
  17. Mugman mask
  18. King Dice mask
  19. Moomin hat
  20. Snufkin hat

Rough House Cafe

The perfect arena for a classic bar fight, this stage is inside the bar and basically a plain walkoff, however there are 4 platforms that are bar stools - the bar stools are soft platforms and while you can walk through their legs no problen, you can also attack the legs to shove the bar stool into the direct next one, launching away anyone on the next bar stool and changing the layout. You can even slide the bar stools off-stage! This stage also has a ceiling.

Thimble Theatre

Ever seen those custom Smash stages that take place inside a comic book? This is one of those! The comic pages will gradually change, changing the layout in the process. Nothing within the comics themselves are interactable though.
View attachment 358417
Sweethaven
Popeye's home from the Robin Williams movie and a real world location you can visit. Players fight on a port with colourful houses in the background. There ks a docked ship that players can climb onto. The other Popeye characters appear in the background.

View attachment 358415
Sea Hag's Island
In terms of layout this is almost like Spiral Mountain, without all the turning stuff. The Hag herself will appear and her vulture will acta s a stage hazard.
Stage: The Olive
View attachment 358431

Popeye wouldn't be much of a sailor man if it weren't for his trusty sailboat. I could imagine this stage being similar to canon Smash's Pirate Ship, with the boat occasionally crashing into some rocks.

(also til king features owns some distribution stake in cuphead that's so cool)
  1. The Olive
  2. Sea Hag's Island
  3. Sweethaven
  4. Thimble Theater
  5. Rough House Café
Please vote for your top 3

Donkey Kong 90s wins the conquest

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Submit Popeye's taunts and intro!

Submit Popeye's victory animations and clapping!

Submit 8, 16, or 24 alternate costumes for Popeye!

Submit objects for Popeye to turn foes into!

Please submit objects to represent as many or little characters as you want.

Submit an oddly specific conquest!
Please submit a conquest similar to Splatoon's toilet paper side or pineapple on pizza splatfests that is strangely specific, but also universally relatable.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
1. Rough House
2. Sweethaven
3. Sea Hag's Island

Popeye Objects
Sonic: A bunch of rings and chili dogs
Wario: A bunch of coins and garlic, all in a green cloud
Peach: Peaches
Daisy: Daisies
Mad Piano: A bunch of broken wood and keys, conveniently shaped like a xylophone
Funky Kong: A bunch of cool surfer dude/tropical stuff (like bandanas and pineapples)
Mama: Half of a large fish
Tuxie: Other half of the large fish (chewed up)
Goomba: A bunch of tiny goombas tyring to do a "tall guy in coat" trick
Bowser: the map of his body from Bowser's Inside Story
Geno: His star
Imajin: Mario wearing mustached disguise glasses
President Koopa (evolved): everything associated with 80's big-shot capitalists (cigars, money, expensive liquor (not explicitly labled as such))
President Koopa (devolved): A mosquito trapped in tree sap and a bunch of DNA strands

FazDude

Smash Master
Votes
  1. Sweethaven
  2. The Olive
  3. Rough House
Popeye Intro: Popeye is already on the stage, crunching a can of spinach into his mouth.

Taunts
  • Up: Popeye blows on his pipe twice, making the iconic "toot toot!" noise.
  • Left: Popeye lets out his infamous laugh.
  • Right: Popeye rolls up his (already fairly short) sleeves while saying one of his iconic lines: "This is all I can stands, I can't stands no more!"
  • Down: Popeye flexes his bicep, with a can of spinach being seen inside it.
Victory Animations
  • Olive Oyl runs onto the stage and gives Popeye a kiss, causing his pipe to spin.
  • Popeye flexes while saying "I yam what I yam, and that's all that I yam!"
  • Popeye holds up a can of spinach, says "I eats me spinach!", and then chuckles.
  • Popeye uppercuts Bluto into the sky, looking on as he becomes nothing more than a mere twinkle. He then looks at the camera and chuckles.
If you linger on Popeye's pose until his victory theme ends on any victory animation, he'll make the "toot toot!" noise with his pipe before the usual results music plays.

Clapping: Popeye claps, but seems rather disgruntled as he wears a scowl on his face.

Popeye Alts
  1. Default
  2. Black and White (resembles the B&W style of the first Popeye appearance)
  3. NES (red skin, white cap/shirt/pants, blue accents)
  4. Olive Oyl (red shirt, black cap/pants)
  5. Bluto (blue cap, black shirt, yellow pants)
  6. NES Bluto (red cap, purple shirt/pants)
  7. Wimpy (wearing Wimpy's clothes)
  8. Popeye and Son appearance (yes, this is a thing that exists)
Popeye Objects
  • Mario: Super Mushrooms
  • Luigi: 1-Up Mushrooms
  • Captain Toad: Green Stars
  • Bowser: Hot Drumsticks
  • Rosalina & Luma: Star Bits
  • Goomba: Micro-Goombas
  • Dr. Mario: Megavitamins
  • Undodog: Various Mario Paint stamps
  • Gooigi: Coffee cups
  • Donkey Kong: Bananas
  • Diddy Kong: Hero Coins
  • Dixie Kong: Gumballs
  • Yoshi: Yoshi Eggs
  • Waluigi: Whiskered Eggplants
  • Captain Syrup: Syrup bottles
  • Koopa Troopa: Koopa shells
Specific Conquest: Regular Milk (Mario) or Chocolate Milk (Wario)
  • Regular Milk Hat: White cow hat
  • Chocolate Milk Hat: Brown cow hat

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I'll leave objects open into tomorrow - otherwise, all of FazDude's submissions win by default

Milk vs. Chocolate Milk wins the conquest submissions by default

1. Sea Hag's Island = 3
  2. Thimble Theater = 4
  3. Rough House Café = 7
  4. The Olive = 8
  5. Sweethaven = 8
The Olive and Sweethaven will be Popeye's stages!

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Submit layouts for The Olive and/or Sweethaven!

Submit Popeye's music!

Popeye will come with 8 music tracks that will play on both stages, please submit those 8 tracks!

Submit a free piece of content!
Please submit a piece of content to be released for free around the same time as Popeye. This can't be a fully unique fighter or stage, but it can be an echo fighter or set of variant stages if you desire. Modes, skins, and customisation options are also on the table!

Last edited:
Top Bottom