• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards has created: Super Mario Smash Bros!

BlustersBest

Smash Journeyman
Banjo-Kazooie

Even before the criteria was announced, I knew it had to be them. Banjo and Kazooie were almost literally designed to fit alongside the rest of the Mario cast, and are important especially to the legacy of the Donkey Kong series. A platformer series inspired directly by Super Mario 64, their fandom is cut from the same cloth as 3D Mario fans. If they are an option for a third party, they need to get in.

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
I’m gonna submit Steve, although I’d like it if we could potentially redesign his moveset a little to match the less gimmicky nature of this game. If he gets in, he absolutely must have access to skins based on the Mario Mashup Pack, and we could potentially also make a new version of Minecraft World with the Mario Mashup Pack’s visuals.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
My Mad Piano and Rabbid Peach victories will be used. Notw that "Mimi the Copycat" won't be used as it seems we already have a Mimi victory.

FazDude's clapping animations will be used - I will also add Mad Piano's: being broken.

Sonic
C'mon. It's Sonic the Freaking Hedgehog. His rivaliry with Mario was one of the defining parts of the 90s video game industry. The two have a crossover series. This would be a huge moment.
View attachment 357089
Link (The Legend of Zelda)

Another super popular Nintendo character. Link has cameo’d a few times in a few Mario games and there has been a few Zelda references too. There has even been theories of the Mario and Zelda universes being connected. Throw in the fact during the Super Mario Bros Super Show showed previews to the bad Legend of Zelda cartoon. Overall, the best pick here.
Pokémon Trainer

Seems pretty obvious to put in a Pokémon, right? Well, how about 3? We could go crazy with their alts. Seems like a better way to represent the series that is so commonly subbed from Mario-led crossovers than the yellow rat.
Pac-Man

Pac-Man is a main protagonist of self-titled series Pac-Man made by Namco in 1980's and he is a yellow anthropomorphic "pac-creature" eats ghosts and travels through random worlds in Pacman world games.

He is an obvious choice for the game, because he appeared in mario-related crossovers like Mario Kart Arcade GP. He would retain his original moveset, but he would have also some reworks.
Banjo-Kazooie

Even before the criteria was announced, I knew it had to be them. Banjo and Kazooie were almost literally designed to fit alongside the rest of the Mario cast, and are important especially to the legacy of the Donkey Kong series. A platformer series inspired directly by Super Mario 64, their fandom is cut from the same cloth as 3D Mario fans. If they are an option for a third party, they need to get in.
I’m gonna submit Steve, although I’d like it if we could potentially redesign his moveset a little to match the less gimmicky nature of this game. If he gets in, he absolutely must have access to skins based on the Mario Mashup Pack, and we could potentially also make a new version of Minecraft World with the Mario Mashup Pack’s visuals.
I'll submit Hero

Not only is dragon quest huge in Japan but it even has already directly crossed over with mario with games like Fortune Street

Kirby
View attachment 357106

Kirby fits pretty well in the Mario universe, and we could come up with hats for all the new characters
Sorry Wario, you won't like this but there's no option
Pikachu from Pokémon
  1. Pikachu
  2. Kirby
  3. Hero
  4. Steve
  5. Banjo & Kazooie
  6. Pac-Man
  7. Pokémon Trainer
  8. Link
  9. Sonic
Please vote for your top 4 - #1 gives 3 points; #2 and #3 give 2; and #4 gives just one. No job today, but there will be a discussion round.

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
1. Sonic [perhaps too obvious]
2. Pac-Man [Mario wouldn’t exist without him, and he’s extremely iconic and fun]
3. Link [would personally want him to look like either the early NES Links or the LTTP/Gameboy games art]
4. Pikachu [probably the other iconic Nintendo character, like it or not]

Just missed the cut: Banjo & Kazooie [they’re Mario universe characters originally]

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1. Banjo
2. Pac-Man
3. Sonic
4. Link

Last edited by a moderator:

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
1. Sonic (A must for a crossover character given he shares a spinoff series with Mario.)
2. Pac-Man (The basis for Mario.)
3. Link (Self-vote but would be nice to get a Nintendo character as the pre-order bonus.)
4. Banjo (He feels super connected with the Mario universe for sure.)

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Usually I'd keep votes open a little or lot longer, but I think we have an un-upsetable landslide sooooo...

1. Pikachu = 1
  2. Hero = 2
  3. Kirby = 4
  4. Pokémon Trainer = 5
  5. Steve = 5
  6. Banjo & Kazooie = 12
  7. Link = 13
  8. Pac-Man = 16
  9. Sonic = 30

Blue streak speeds by, too fast for the naked eye, Sonic the Hedgehog is on the run! He will be our sole guest from a gaming series

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Submit Sonic's changes from Ultimate!

Please submit changes to be made to Sonic from his original Smash iteration! One thing I ask be included is which Sonic design is used. This is mostly to prevent dissonance between Sonic's animations + alts and his design, as I want to do those jobs seperately later.

Submit a Final Smash for Sonic!

Please submit a Final Smash for Sonic! Super Sonic, both from Brawl and Ultimate, will be voting options by default.

Submit a victory jingle for Sonic!

Tomorrow we will do Sonic-themed cosmetics and Sonic's stages (yes, plural), followed by the animation and alt jobs the next day once we know which Sonic design is used, and then finally Sonic's music the day after as well as a job for an in-between-characters DLC.

Another question: how many alts should guest characters have?
I personally feel that, since they're the sole characters representing their series, the option for alts lists should be, instead of the between 8 and 16 we usually do, between 16 and 24 - or even outright force 24. Note that this will not apply to Mario DLC characters.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Victory: Sonic 1 stage clear - not used in modern games to my knowledge, but it's an iconic and funky tune that captures the vibe of Sonic no matter what generation.

Final Smash: Super Sonic (Stance)

This would be a stance change akin to its role in earlier Sonic platformers or Wario Man and Giga Bowser. Super Sonic can't fly (though he is animated doing so like Cloud) but he has stellar mobility, devistating yet fast attacks, reverse super armour (he can flinch, but not be damaged) and all spinning moves have a large vacuum effect.

Sonic changes
  1. Sonic uses his Classic design, giving him less range but also making him less of a target. Because of this, he doesn't talk, but classic game SFX are used heavily,
  2. Sonic's Down B is a drop dash in air - the drop dash is based on Spin Charge (faster, no hop, multihit) while the ground spin dash is based on Spin Dash (slower, hop, hits once). It also deals damage in charging state.
  3. The spring is replaced with Tails Lift - rather than Sonic holding on to Tails, he creates a tornado with his titular appendage to help Sonic go up - just like the spring, foes can use the tornado. Sonic's ascent is very similar in function to the spring however. Tails is not ineractable in any way
  4. Sonic's side special is the Light Speed Dash - where he throws a ring as a projectile and can press the button again to dash to it. This move's primary function is to encourage Sonic to play more agressive
  5. Sonic uses the Sonic Eagle from Sonic Battle as a fair, but his bair remains intact
  6. Sonic has his spin dash down smash from Brawl.
  7. His up smash is a jumping spin that's followed up with a handplant breakdance that serves as a finishing kick,
  8. When using a homing attack, Sonic does a pose like in PM
  9. Sonic has Wario's new down-while-dashing roll move, and can hold it indefinetly - however he will lose momentum if he uses it too long and go back to crouching
  10. Nair is the insta-shield, back and forward air use fire effects, dair uses water effects, and up uses electric effects (resembing the Movie's more than Sonic 3) - these are all purely cosmetic and add no disjoints.
  11. His side-Smash has a Werehog arm and a little more range (Credit to Janx_uwu Janx_uwu for this concept in the Another Universe thread, I know it technically doesn't fit my use of Classic, but I like it way too much to neglect.)

Last edited:

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
I’ll say dlc characters could go up to 24 alts, but they don’t have to.

Anyways, I don’t actually have any moveset ideas, but I do have alt ideas. I’ll be glad to submit those when we get the chance.

(Also kinda neat how Sonic’s reveal post happened to be the 1900th post on the thread)

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
cracks knuckles
: "ouch"

Alright, now that I've gotten that pun out of my system, let me say that I care deeply about the Sonic series and its relation to Mario. Seeing as Sonic's only coming with himself and no stage/music/etc., I wanted to fit as much Sonic fanservice into his design as possible without venturing into the realm of reference overdose. Thing is I'm not even sure if this is going to be too much for this job; If it is, let me know and I'll think of something more reasonable in the morning.

I'm going to start with Sonic's appearance, since that's pretty much the backbone of my moveset design. This is the absurd idea I mentioned on WaWaWa's status earlier - Sonic will be redesigned for Super Mario Smash Bros. Not an extreme redesign like Movie Sonic or anything, though; More of an in-between of his Classic and Modern appearances (this panel from an Archie comic is pretty akin to what I'm talking about) (EDIT: so does Satoshi Okano's take on the Blue Blur; credit to Janx_uwu Janx_uwu for pointing this out!).

As long as I'm going on about his design, though, I'd love for him to get a pure Classic alt with some aesthetical differences to his moves (think the differences between Simon and Richter's Holy Water), hence why I'm going with a redesigned base form as opposed to using the Modern design wholesale. I'll be mentioning the differences the Classic alt would have as I go through Sonic's kit, but these are all aesthetical and nothing more.

Alright, let's finally get into Sonic's kit (took me long enough).
  • Sonic's dash attack is a roll which transitions into his slide from the boost titles, kinda like his dash attack in Brawl.
  • Sonic's Up Smash is a handstand kick which combos into a spinning jump like his Up Smash in the canon Smash games.
  • Sonic's Neutral Air is the Insta-Shield (minus the actual shield part).
  • Sonic's Forward Air is the Sonic Eagle from Sonic Battle.
  • Sonic's Down Air is the Bounce from Sonic Adventure - Still a stall-and-fall.
    • A theoretical Classic alt would have the Bubble Shield appear around him as he performs the move.
  • Sonic's Neutral Special remains the same, but he now poses upon a successful hit.
    • The Classic alt gains an orange aura while charging the Homing Attack as a small nod to Sonic 3D Blast.
  • Sonic's Side Special becomes the Boost, although it's more of a burst option than how it's handled in Unleashed/Colors/etc. It's a burst option and a combo extender, but it deals less damage than the Spin Dash and has fixed knockback. It also has a short cooldown to discourage running away from your opponent.
    • The Classic alt would gain the Fire Shield from S3&K, although again, it's merely an aesthetical change.
  • Sonic's grounded Down Special is the Spin Dash... which is pretty much the Spin Charge but moved to Down Special. In the air, however, the move is more similar to the Drop Dash from Sonic Mania.
  • A little bit of electricity is emitted from Sonic upon using his midair jump. S3&K reference? Movie Sonic reference? The world may never know.
  • Finally, Sonic gets Wario's cool roll.
I actually really like WaWaWa's approach to a Super stance change, so I'll leave that untouched.

Finally, for Sonic's victory theme, I propose the one from Sonic Adventure 2 (though to push the Classic alt idea one more time, he'd probably get the Sonic 1/2 victory theme if I were running the show).

Whew, that was a doozy of a submission. This may be way more convoluted than it has any right to be, but if the only Sonic representation we're getting is Sonic himself (and Christmas Village, I suppose), I wanted to go full-throttle and make it count. I probably wouldn't do anything like this if I were redesigning Sonic for a Sonic-centric/general Smash.
----
Oh, and I wanna stick to the 8/16 rule when it comes to DLC alts. Wouldn't be opposed to bumping the number up to 24, though (not a fan of forcing it, however).

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
cracks knuckles

Alright, now that I've gotten that pun out of my system, let me say that I care deeply about the Sonic series and its relation to Mario. Seeing as Sonic's only coming with himself and no stage/music/etc.,
Sonic will come with 2 stages and 8 interchangable songs

Also, I won't allow Classic as an alt due to the proportion differences.

Read the full post, understand better now

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Yeah, this is fair - Felt like spitballing it as long as I had it in mind, but makes sense. Is an alt with Classic's colors still on the table?
I hadn't read the post in full at that point - knowing the design choices you plan to change I can allow it so long as your changes are used.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Okay I got halfway through it before I realized I accidentally made Sonic more of a zoner than he already is, so I scrapped it and started over, here's the finished product!

Sonic changes
  • Sonic uses his movie design, stylized to be less live-action oriented than before. I figured most of our other guests would be from movies and TV (if not all of them) so having Movie Sonic would let him fit in better with them. Also it's probably gonna end up being the most popular Sonic design in the public eye at the rate the Paramount Sonicverse is going at, makes sense to use it. This also gives us an excuse to have Sonic floss for one of his taunts Hitbox and hurtbox wise, his limbs are a bit shorter than Modern Sonic's and his head, hands and feet are smaller. However he's a bit younger and therefore puts more power behind his punches and kicks.
  • This is a post-second-movie Sonic, so he's matured and capable but still a bit childish at heat in his animations. He also talks a lot. Expect a few Mario references to come out of that blabbering mouth of his.
  • Many of Sonic's moves have blue lightning effects which don't do any damage themselves but look very cool. (I was also gonna give Sonic a streak behind him but I forgot we made those a thing for everyone lol)
  • Sonic has a unique looking up animation like Steve's, referencing the Genesis games.
  • Dash attack has Sonic pull out a piece of shrapnel (presumably from an Eggman robot) and skate along the ground with it, hitting low and popping up opponents for follow ups.
  • Neutral air has him kick a few times as a multihit before the final kick has a pose referencing his Ultimate render.
  • Sonic's dash/run is now a basic sprint with blue lightning effects and a blue streak effect behind him.
  • Down Air is like Greninja's but allows much more freedom of movement on the bounce back up if it connects.
  • Down Smash is a multi-hit breakdance that ends in a flashy headstanding split which launches foes.
  • Side B has Sonic launching himself forward with a flying kick which can have decent follow ups, this has the same purpose as Wario's light speed dash in his changes proposal of encouraging Sonic to be more aggressive.
  • Sonic does a pose after each Homing Attack (which also takes slightly longer to wind up than before).
  • Sonic's three-hit jab is intact, but his new rapid jab involves him standing on his hands and kicking his feet towards the opponent in a circle like his classic running animation, before kicking more forcefully with his right foot for the finishing attack.
  • Down Tilt is a sliding kick like the Boost games.
  • Aerial Down B becomes the Stomp, also from the boost games. Unlike the down air, this one goes striaght through opponents and is used for KO's rather than combos.
  • I still don't like Sonic's Forward Tilt for some reason but IDK what else to do with it so I'll leave it be
  • Sonic has Wario's cool new roll-while-dashing move. (honestly this should just be an automatic thing it makes too much sense)
  • Branding on Sonic's shoes for Puma/Fila is entirely removed, for obvious reasons.
Sonic victory theme
Sonic The Fighters victory theme

The Brawl Super Sonic FS was pretty good so I think we should stick with it. (not submitting it btw just saying why I don't have one myself)

Alts situation
Maybe lets do 24 for each fighter, but everyone submits a few and the alt list is curated by Wario rather than everyone has an individual list. I think that would be splendid.

Also, to FazDude FazDude - if we wanna go down the middle with Classic and Modern, I think it would be pretty based if we used Satoshi Okano's Saturn-era art as inspiration.

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
FazDude FazDude - if we wanna go down the middle with Classic and Modern, I think it would be pretty based if we used Satoshi Okano's Saturn-era art as inspiration.
I had this in mind, but I wasn't 100% sure on the artist's name so I just went with the Archie reference since I knew how to find that. Now that I got that frame of reference, though, I'm totally on board with an Okano-style Sonic!

cashregister9

Smash Hero
1. Sonic would use his Modern Design but the colors are more saturated and is not as textured. Similar to his Puyo Puyo design
2. Animations would draw from various different eras from sonic, with references to many games, cartoons and movies he would have fast and confident animations and would have a lot to say and would be voiced by Roger Craig Smith
3.When sonic lands a powerful move blue lightning appears
4.When Sonic is ko'd rings appear from the blast zone
5.For Sonic's Down Air he pulls out a board similar to what he skates on during city escapes and hops downward and if he hits an opponent he bounces back up
6. Forward air is replaced with Sonic Eagle and Down Smash is replaced with a variation of Sonic Flare, both are from Sonic Battle
7. Neutral Special remains unchanged mechanically but can now do one of several poses after a successful attack.
8. Down Special remains the same if you tap the button but if you hold the button for long enough it changes into a more powerful version of the attack that cannot be controlled.
9. Side Special is replaced with Boost, Sonic dashes forward at a fast pace dealing damage to those in front of him, it can be charged.
10. Up special on the ground is unchanged but in the air a blue tornado surrounds sonic that launches him upwards and those caught in the tornado take damage.
11. Neutral Air removes the dumb off-axis spin and just has him in the ball
12. Dash attack puts sonic lunges into a ball form and the lunge deals damage and from this sonic can move around in a ball form for a short while.
13. Sonic's running animation has his legs go into a figure 8 formation.

His victory theme would be the Stage Clear Music from Sonic 3D blast

I like Wario Wario Wario's FS submission and I like the idea of 24 alts

BlustersBest

Smash Journeyman
Jeez, that's a lot of suggested changes. I think that although the classic design might fit better with the "Mario Aesthetic", the modern design is A. what is in smash already, and B. the one used in the actual crossover with Mario. a mix of the two would work as well, however.

Sonic Alt suggestions:
1. Default
2. Classic colors (lighter blue, classic shoes)
3. Boom Sonic (Boom Sonic's outfit, not full design/model swap).
4. Tails orange/yellow
5. Knuckles red + spiked wristbands
6. Shadow alt
7. Jet Set Sonic (Project M)
8. Skateboard outfit + Medal (Mario and Sonic at the 2020 Olympic Games).
9. Mario outfit Sonic

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Jeez, that's a lot of suggested changes. I think that although the classic design might fit better with the "Mario Aesthetic", the modern design is A. what is in smash already, and B. the one used in the actual crossover with Mario. a mix of the two would work as well, however.

Sonic Alt suggestions:
1. Default
2. Classic colors (lighter blue, classic shoes)
3. Boom Sonic (Boom Sonic's outfit, not full design/model swap).
4. Tails orange/yellow
5. Knuckles red + spiked wristbands
6. Shadow alt
7. Jet Set Sonic (Project M)
8. Skateboard outfit + Medal (Mario and Sonic at the 2020 Olympic Games).
9. Mario outfit Sonic
We're not doing alts until we know what design will be used.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Victory: Sonic 1 stage clear - not used in modern games to my knowledge, but it's an iconic and funky tune that captures the vibe of Sonic no matter what generation.

This would be a stance change akin to its role in earlier Sonic platformers or Wario Man and Giga Bowser. Super Sonic can't fly (though he is animated doing so like Cloud) but he has stellar mobility, devistating yet fast attacks, reverse super armour (he can flinch, but not be damaged) and all spinning moves have a large vacuum effect.

Sonic changes
  1. Sonic uses his Classic design, giving him less range but also making him less of a target. Because of this, he doesn't talk, but classic game SFX are used heavily,
  2. Sonic's Down B is a drop dash in air - the drop dash is based on Spin Charge (faster, no hop, multihit) while the ground spin dash is based on Spin Dash (slower, hop, hits once). It also deals damage in charging state.
  3. The spring is replaced with Tails Lift - rather than Sonic holding on to Tails, he creates a tornado with his titular appendage to help Sonic go up - just like the spring, foes can use the tornado. Sonic's ascent is very similar in function to the spring however. Tails is not ineractable in any way
  4. Sonic's side special is the Light Speed Dash - where he throws a ring as a projectile and can press the button again to dash to it. This move's primary function is to encourage Sonic to play more agressive
  5. Sonic uses the Sonic Eagle from Sonic Battle as a fair, but his bair remains intact
  6. Sonic has his spin dash down smash from Brawl.
  7. His up smash is a jumping spin that's followed up with a handplant breakdance that serves as a finishing kick,
  8. When using a homing attack, Sonic does a pose like in PM
  9. Sonic has Wario's new down-while-dashing roll move, and can hold it indefinetly - however he will lose momentum if he uses it too long and go back to crouching
  10. Nair is the insta-shield, back and forward air use fire effects, dair uses water effects, and up uses electric effects (resembing the Movie's more than Sonic 3) - these are all purely cosmetic and add no disjoints.
  11. His side-Smash has a Werehog arm and a little more range (Credit to Janx_uwu Janx_uwu for this concept in the Another Universe thread, I know it technically doesn't fit my use of Classic, but I like it way too much to neglect.)
cracks knuckles

Alright, now that I've gotten that pun out of my system, let me say that I care deeply about the Sonic series and its relation to Mario. Seeing as Sonic's only coming with himself and no stage/music/etc., I wanted to fit as much Sonic fanservice into his design as possible without venturing into the realm of reference overdose. Thing is I'm not even sure if this is going to be too much for this job; If it is, let me know and I'll think of something more reasonable in the morning.

I'm going to start with Sonic's appearance, since that's pretty much the backbone of my moveset design. This is the absurd idea I mentioned on WaWaWa's status earlier - Sonic will be redesigned for Super Mario Smash Bros. Not an extreme redesign like Movie Sonic or anything, though; More of an in-between of his Classic and Modern appearances (this panel from an Archie comic is pretty akin to what I'm talking about) (EDIT: so does Satoshi Okano's take on the Blue Blur; credit to Janx_uwu Janx_uwu for pointing this out!).

As long as I'm going on about his design, though, I'd love for him to get a pure Classic alt with some aesthetical differences to his moves (think the differences between Simon and Richter's Holy Water), hence why I'm going with a redesigned base form as opposed to using the Modern design wholesale. I'll be mentioning the differences the Classic alt would have as I go through Sonic's kit, but these are all aesthetical and nothing more.

Alright, let's finally get into Sonic's kit (took me long enough).
  • Sonic's dash attack is a roll which transitions into his slide from the boost titles, kinda like his dash attack in Brawl.
  • Sonic's Up Smash is a handstand kick which combos into a spinning jump like his Up Smash in the canon Smash games.
  • Sonic's Neutral Air is the Insta-Shield (minus the actual shield part).
  • Sonic's Forward Air is the Sonic Eagle from Sonic Battle.
  • Sonic's Down Air is the Bounce from Sonic Adventure - Still a stall-and-fall.
    • A theoretical Classic alt would have the Bubble Shield appear around him as he performs the move.
  • Sonic's Neutral Special remains the same, but he now poses upon a successful hit.
    • The Classic alt gains an orange aura while charging the Homing Attack as a small nod to Sonic 3D Blast.
  • Sonic's Side Special becomes the Boost, although it's more of a burst option than how it's handled in Unleashed/Colors/etc. It's a burst option and a combo extender, but it deals less damage than the Spin Dash and has fixed knockback. It also has a short cooldown to discourage running away from your opponent.
    • The Classic alt would gain the Fire Shield from S3&K, although again, it's merely an aesthetical change.
  • Sonic's grounded Down Special is the Spin Dash... which is pretty much the Spin Charge but moved to Down Special. In the air, however, the move is more similar to the Drop Dash from Sonic Mania.
  • A little bit of electricity is emitted from Sonic upon using his midair jump. S3&K reference? Movie Sonic reference? The world may never know.
  • Finally, Sonic gets Wario's cool roll.
I actually really like WaWaWa's approach to a Super stance change, so I'll leave that untouched.

Finally, for Sonic's victory theme, I propose the one from Sonic Adventure 2 (though to push the Classic alt idea one more time, he'd probably get the Sonic 1/2 victory theme if I were running the show).

Whew, that was a doozy of a submission. This may be way more convoluted than it has any right to be, but if the only Sonic representation we're getting is Sonic himself (and Christmas Village, I suppose), I wanted to go full-throttle and make it count. I probably wouldn't do anything like this if I were redesigning Sonic for a Sonic-centric/general Smash.
----
Oh, and I wanna stick to the 8/16 rule when it comes to DLC alts. Wouldn't be opposed to bumping the number up to 24, though (not a fan of forcing it, however).
Okay I got halfway through it before I realized I accidentally made Sonic more of a zoner than he already is, so I scrapped it and started over, here's the finished product!

Sonic changes
  • Sonic uses his movie design, stylized to be less live-action oriented than before. I figured most of our other guests would be from movies and TV (if not all of them) so having Movie Sonic would let him fit in better with them. Also it's probably gonna end up being the most popular Sonic design in the public eye at the rate the Paramount Sonicverse is going at, makes sense to use it. This also gives us an excuse to have Sonic floss for one of his taunts Hitbox and hurtbox wise, his limbs are a bit shorter than Modern Sonic's and his head, hands and feet are smaller. However he's a bit younger and therefore puts more power behind his punches and kicks.
  • This is a post-second-movie Sonic, so he's matured and capable but still a bit childish at heat in his animations. He also talks a lot. Expect a few Mario references to come out of that blabbering mouth of his.
  • Many of Sonic's moves have blue lightning effects which don't do any damage themselves but look very cool. (I was also gonna give Sonic a streak behind him but I forgot we made those a thing for everyone lol)
  • Sonic has a unique looking up animation like Steve's, referencing the Genesis games.
  • Dash attack has Sonic pull out a piece of shrapnel (presumably from an Eggman robot) and skate along the ground with it, hitting low and popping up opponents for follow ups.
  • Neutral air has him kick a few times as a multihit before the final kick has a pose referencing his Ultimate render.
  • Sonic's dash/run is now a basic sprint with blue lightning effects and a blue streak effect behind him.
  • Down Air is like Greninja's but allows much more freedom of movement on the bounce back up if it connects.
  • Down Smash is a multi-hit breakdance that ends in a flashy headstanding split which launches foes.
  • Side B has Sonic launching himself forward with a flying kick which can have decent follow ups, this has the same purpose as Wario's light speed dash in his changes proposal of encouraging Sonic to be more aggressive.
  • Sonic does a pose after each Homing Attack (which also takes slightly longer to wind up than before).
  • Sonic's three-hit jab is intact, but his new rapid jab involves him standing on his hands and kicking his feet towards the opponent in a circle like his classic running animation, before kicking more forcefully with his right foot for the finishing attack.
  • Down Tilt is a sliding kick like the Boost games.
  • Aerial Down B becomes the Stomp, also from the boost games. Unlike the down air, this one goes striaght through opponents and is used for KO's rather than combos.
  • I still don't like Sonic's Forward Tilt for some reason but IDK what else to do with it so I'll leave it be
  • Sonic has Wario's cool new roll-while-dashing move. (honestly this should just be an automatic thing it makes too much sense)
  • Branding on Sonic's shoes for Puma/Fila is entirely removed, for obvious reasons.
Sonic victory theme
Sonic The Fighters victory theme

The Brawl Super Sonic FS was pretty good so I think we should stick with it. (not submitting it btw just saying why I don't have one myself)

Alts situation
Maybe lets do 24 for each fighter, but everyone submits a few and the alt list is curated by Wario rather than everyone has an individual list. I think that would be splendid.

Also, to FazDude FazDude - if we wanna go down the middle with Classic and Modern, I think it would be pretty based if we used Satoshi Okano's Saturn-era art as inspiration.
1. Sonic would use his Modern Design but the colors are more saturated and is not as textured. Similar to his Puyo Puyo design
2. Animations would draw from various different eras from sonic, with references to many games, cartoons and movies he would have fast and confident animations and would have a lot to say and would be voiced by Roger Craig Smith
3.When sonic lands a powerful move blue lightning appears
4.When Sonic is ko'd rings appear from the blast zone
5.For Sonic's Down Air he pulls out a board similar to what he skates on during city escapes and hops downward and if he hits an opponent he bounces back up
6. Forward air is replaced with Sonic Eagle and Down Smash is replaced with a variation of Sonic Flare, both are from Sonic Battle
7. Neutral Special remains unchanged mechanically but can now do one of several poses after a successful attack.
8. Down Special remains the same if you tap the button but if you hold the button for long enough it changes into a more powerful version of the attack that cannot be controlled.
9. Side Special is replaced with Boost, Sonic dashes forward at a fast pace dealing damage to those in front of him, it can be charged.
10. Up special on the ground is unchanged but in the air a blue tornado surrounds sonic that launches him upwards and those caught in the tornado take damage.
11. Neutral Air removes the dumb off-axis spin and just has him in the ball
12. Dash attack puts sonic lunges into a ball form and the lunge deals damage and from this sonic can move around in a ball form for a short while.
13. Sonic's running animation has his legs go into a figure 8 formation.

His victory theme would be the Stage Clear Music from Sonic 3D blast

I like Wario Wario Wario's FS submission and I like the idea of 24 alts
Moveset changes
  1. Cashregister9
  2. Janx_uwu
  3. FazDude
  4. Wario Wario Wario
Please vote for your top 2

Victory theme
  1. Sonic 1
  2. 3D Blast SMD/Sonic 3 & Knuckles
  3. Sonic the Fighters
  4. SA2
Please vote here:

Please vote here for Sonic's Final Smash

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Submit headwear for Sonic!

Please submit up to 5 pieces of Sonic related headwear, and/or up to 2 pieces of general Sega headwear. We will add 15 pieces of headwear - 10 Sonic hats added from this job, 4 Sega hats, and the included-by-default Sonic hat (pictured above)

Submit a Sonic-themed trail!
Please submit a Sonic trail! We will add 3. No general Sega stuff this time.

Patterns won't be added as DLC, at least within fighter packs.

Submit two stages for Sonic!

Please submit up to two stages for Sonic! These will be voted on individually. Due to Wario's Gold Mine, Windy Hill as it appears in 3DS/Wii U won't be elegible, but if you want to - for whatever reason - submit a new Windy Hill that will be allowed.

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Sonic Headwear
  • Tails Hat (returning from Ultimate)
  • Knuckles Hat (returning from Ultimate)
  • Shadow Hat
  • Infinite's Mask
  • Dr. Eggman moustache
Sega Headwear
  • AiAi Hat (Super Monkey Ball)
  • Ristar Hat
Sonic Trail: 16-bit rings

Stage 1: Green Hill (Sonic the Hedgehog)
1658716038766.png

Direct port of the Brawl stage.

Stage 2: Dr. Eggman's Interstellar Amusement Park (Sonic Colors)
1658716210040.png

I want at least one Sonic stage to hail from a modern game, regardless of which Sonic design we end up using. I was going to whittle it down to one area from Colors (Emerald Coast, City Escape, and Eggmanland were all also considered), but I think a touring stage featuring the whole park would be really cool.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
FazDude FazDude Has been fixed
Sonic hats:
  1. Super Sonic hat
  2. Lost World Roboticized Tails hat
  3. 1-Up Monitor hat
  4. Chao on head
  5. Sonic Boom scarf

Sega hats:
  1. Dynamite Headdy mask
  2. Kapu Kapu mouth hat

Trail
  1. 16-bit Flickies

1. Mine
  2. Janx_uwu

Sonic Trails
  • 16-bit rings
  • Infinite's cubes
  • 16-bit dust clouds
You're only supposed to submit one trail.

Will post my stages shortly.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Chemical Plant Zone

Probably the most obvious besides Green Hill and City Escape
59F35420-9D22-4239-922E-E03B639E3DF9.jpeg

Blue - collapsing platform
Red - soft platform
Yellow - movement
Green - Grabber movement
Orange - Grabber drop

The collapsing platform randomly collapses. Grabbers slide from the top of the stage and drop down to grab foes. The grabber doesn't go low enough to cover the lower ground however. When the collapsing platform is about to re-appear, the box below it gets flooded with poison to throw the fighters back into the battlefield.

Prophetic Palace

A competitive stage again lmao of the palace where Sonic fights Knuckles, with the prophetic mural in the background,
145E6C7A-FDD0-47E6-A4D5-5CB09D8E967B.jpeg

Red = soft platform
Blue = bottom soft platform's highest movement

The bottom soft platform rises up extremely slowly, with the bridge being a way to recongnise how long it'll be until it returns when it's gone.

EDIT: Made single plat to distinguish from Stage Play and Aurora Icefield.

Last edited:
Top Bottom