• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing 3 (REBOOT)

Should this game have a unique gimmick of some form?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Well, let's wrap things up!

»»————-  :starman:  ————-««​

Starting with Job #05, the highest-voted submission ended up being 32 tracks with a total of 13 points across the board, mirroring our character count! This means our cup count is going to be a total of 8, before DLC at least.

As for Job #06, plenty of strong competition here! Our final results are:

As such, Angel Island Zone is our first track in the game! (I'll be sure to update the Google Doc shortly after posting this, don't panic!)

And, next up, Job #07:

With a total of 26 votes, Sonic's ride this time around is going to be a blast from the past - his Cyclone! Congrats to Janx_uwu Janx_uwu for that one (and again, I'll add that much to his Google Doc shortly after posting this.)

»»————- 
:starman:
 ————-««​

Welp, time for some new submissions! And this is one I've been looking forward to a little, actually:

Job #08: Submit Cassettes for Angel Island Zone!
A holdover from the previous version of this thread, I felt Cassettes would be useful to keep around. This time around, I've decided to streamline them a little from how they were originally. By default, each track has its own Cassettes - three of which are unlocked by default, and two of which can be unlocked over time. In this case, I would personally ask that you try and keep it to either OST, gamerips, or officially released stuff such as arrangements from albums - but if a fanmade work gets across the idea you're trying to push, then that's fine too. (Also, it'd be really useful if you provided either links or embeds if possible, but if you don't I'll try and find links when it comes to the voting round.)

Job #09: What should Tails drive?
It might seem like a bit of a cookie-cutter job, but this feels like an important question to ask. This funky twin-tailed fox has had a number of rides of his own over the years - be it his various iterations of the Tornado from games like Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic Adventure, SaSASR or otherwise, or even some interesting picks like his MTP-01 Wheelwind from Sonic Drift and the like. Remember, in this case - it's possible to go with unusual racing types, so long as they could reasonably work in the confines of a trad-racer, so something like his Sonic 2 Tornado would be fine as long as it were to be redesigned to fit in with cars, motorcycles, and so forth. Having vehicles differentiate too much in size could lead to problems with how they interact with others.

Job #10: What should our first cup be called?
In the original Sonic and SEGA All-Stars Racing, cups were typically named after something from the series that acted as their first track. In this case, it'd mean a Sonic-themed cup name would be ideal - but what should it be called? For context, the original game had it go by the name "Chao Cup."

»»————- 
:starman:
 ————-««​

Hopefully, this is interesting to y'all! Keep yourselves safe out there.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Job #08: As for our default Cassettes, I personally thought it'd be cool to have some focus on the Classic era given the origin of the track in question. I think there's plenty of space for newer tracks later on - inevitably, I think we can say with near certainty that another Sonic track's going to join the roster down the line! The difficulty with this one was trying to pick songs that'd feel fitting for all aspects of the race, but I think I've got a good collection going.

• Angel Island Medley [Angel Island Zone [Act 1], Angel Island Zone [Act 2] & Final Boss] (Sonic 3 & Knuckles) - This might seem like cheating, but my thought process is that the song would change for each lap you go around. During Lap 1 of the track, it's mostly above ground and peaceful, but all of that changes when the tunnels are opened during Lap 2 and you get access to more branching pathways. Then, Lap 3 has Eggman's fleet bear down from the skies and set the entire jungle ablaze, and whilst I considered either of the Act Boss themes for this, I felt the Final Boss was the most fitting.
  • Special Stage (Sonic 3D Blast) [Saturn] - This just has such a cool feel to it. It's weirdly Mario Kart-ish, but I think it's oddly fitting. Also, 3D Blast on the Saturn doesn't get enough love either! This feels like an interesting enough deep cut to be fun, whilst also being genuinely good in its own right.
  • Hi-Spec Robo Go! (Sonic Mania) - I felt another Sonic 3-themed pick would be fitting here, but the issue was that I didn't want to stray too far from the theming of Angel Island's first zone. As such, where better to pull from than bosses that were created right on Angel Island? A Mania track felt like an almost obvious inclusion to me, and truth be told, I think the sheer vibes of this one make it a fun pick to give a listen to.

And, for Bonus Cassettes... this one was a little more difficult.

• Back in Time (Sonic R) - Whilst the obvious choice for "a Sonic R track" is inevitably Can You Feel The Sunshine, I think Back in Time is oddly more fitting for Angel Island Zone considering the fact that it's more of a throwback, plus... it really deserves more love, honestly.
  • Sonic Boom (Sonic CD) [US] - Are you surprised? I didn't think so. I felt like a vocal theme from CD would be a great cherry on top of the grouping I've got here, and whilst I came closer than I'd like to admit to adding Believe in Yourself, I felt Sonic Boom was an iconic and logical pick for something like this.

Job #09:
Vehicle Name: Tornado Racer
Vehicle Origin: Sonic and SEGA All-Stars Racing (2010)

1673212632222.png

Whilst it's technically original to the first Racing game, I think this fits Tails really well. It's well-proportioned so as to fit alongside cars, but also represents Tails's mechanical knowledge and personal preference for the air. Honestly, this is a really cool one in my book!

Job #10: I'm going to do something a bit unusual and suggest the Ring Cup, given it's already made of gold and the like. It just seems like something fun to me!

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Job #8: Angel Island Cassettes:
  1. Angel Island Zone (Sonic the Hedgehog 3/Mania; latter/linked is arranged by Tee Lopes, so this cassette also represents a 2010's 2D/classic side - when a player goes to the second lap, a Act 2 version will start playing out. For the final/third lap, music will change to a normal/Act 2 boss theme - implemented similarly like in the Mario Kart games and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed)
  2. Mystic Ruin (Sonic Adventure; an area which is closely connected to Angel Island and also represents a 3D/modern era of the franchise)
  3. Back in Time (Sonic R; pretty much the same reason as Knee's, but also because it was remixed in Sanctuary Falls from Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, and well, it's the only vocal track in this list)
  4. Mushroom Hill Zone (Sonic & Knuckles; Bonus/Unlockable - located in Angel Hill and also uses both Act versions on first two laps and a minor boss theme in the final lap, except that they are all original Genesis/Mega Drive versions instead of being remixed)
  5. Sonic & Knuckles Theme (Virtual Sonic; Bonus/Unlockable - yep, an another cassette from the same game as previous, but this one comes from the Virtual Sonic album and it's also an extended arrangement of that game's title theme. So relaxing, ahh, Robo Blast 2 memories...)
Job #9: Tails' Vehicle - Tornado (Sonic Adventure)

Sure, Tails had his trusty and signature bi-plane, the Tornado (even though it was under Sonic's ownership from it's very beginning according to a manual), since Sonic the Hedgehog 2's 16-bit version from the SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive, but given Knee's words regarding a job, I'm choosing it's appearance in the 1998 Dreamcast game, Sonic Adventure and it's DX/Director's Cut version, in which it was fitted with machine guns and homing missiles (probably the first time/instance where it has been shown using weapons to fight/destroy enemies in the sky, as previous titles had Sonic just jumping on them from it's wings).

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Cyclone Chaser

The name rhymes with Tails' previous ride from the All-Stars games, and it's fairly iconic.

Angel Island Cassettes
Decided to stick to themes of locations on or around Angel Island for these. Angel Island's original theme is not included because I don't think it fits the whole vibe of a kart racer, if that makes sense. These were mostly chosen for artist variety (even though there is one repeat - it's Jun ****ing Senoue, what did you expect) as well as my own personal enjoyment of the tracks.

Default Cassettes
Endless Mine - Brad Buxer
Flying Battery Zone, Act 1 - Tee Lopes
Mt. Red: A Symbol of Thrill (Red Mountain) - Jun Senoue

Unlockable Cassettes
Sky Sanctuary Zone, Act 2 (Fast) - Jun Senoue & Richard Jacques
Chaos Angel Zone, Act 1 (Remastered) - original by quite a few people, remaster by SuperChaosControl

That last one, in case you're unfamiliar, is one of the final levels of Sonic Advance 3, in which some ruins are corrupted by Eggman's experiments with Chaos Control. Though I had to find a remastered version, because the original GBA version is compressed to hell and back. Incredible song, though.

Ring Cup
I just thing a trophy shaped like a Sonic ring would be really cool.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
With the majority of solid aerial transport options taken, I'm going to suggest something else entirely:

Sea Fox

Tails Sea Fox.jpg

This drill fronted submarine was used by Tails in both Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble, but also in Tails' own solo adventure appropriately titled; Tails Adventure.
Whilst it was incredibly fragile in the former title, the latter one gave it additional upgrades such as extra armour, rocket boosters and anti air torpedos.

For those worried about a submarine of all things being unsuitable for all terrain driving, don't worry! The Sea Fox in Tails' Adventure was able to be modified to travel on land AND by air with the correct upgrades, allowing for a canonical Land, Air and Water vehicle all in one!

Lastly whilst admittedly largely irrelevant to our racing side of things, it had the ability to transform into Tails' Remote Robot; a pint sized Tails bot created by himself showcasing Tails' ingeninuity and potentially allowing for some unique victory animations where he could transform it back into the tiny bot on the podium, or do a victory lap post race via his own two tails with the bot flying alongside him.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Let's wrap this round up - and with a ton of awesome ideas!

For Job #08, a ton of awesome ideas got suggested.

In this case, vote for your top two: the submission with the most votes will be our Cassettes for Angel Island Zone.

In terms of Job #09, plenty of sweet submissions here too!

MTP-01 Whirlwind (Sonic Drift) - DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26
Tornado Racer (Sonic and SEGA All-Stars Racing) - KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99
Tornado (Sonic Adventure) - tonygameman tonygameman
Cyclone Chaser (Sonic Adventure 2) - Janx_uwu Janx_uwu
Sea Fox (Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble) - YoshiandToad YoshiandToad

This time around, vote for your top three. The submission with the highest number of votes will be Tails's vehicle in this game!

And, lastly, for Job #10, a couple of cool ideas here too!

Emerald Cup - Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds
Ring Cup - KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 & Janx_uwu Janx_uwu

In this case, just vote for the one you prefer, given there's only two submissions.

Once again, given we've got three votes this time around, I won't put a big job here, but I may as well add a vote-based one for funsies:

Job #11: What series should the first cup's second track be from?
Given we've already got four series to pull from (very conveniently) in the form of Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Monkey Ball, Alex Kidd and Jet Set Radio, I gathered it'd be potentially pretty smart to have our tracks correspond to them. However, I want to make this an open forum - which series would you prefer?

• Super Monkey Ball
  • Alex Kidd
  • Jet Set Radio

Feel free to vote for your top two - I'm interested to see what y'all want! (And, if you think this is a bad way of handling the first cup, do tell me. I'm always open to suggestions!)

Anyways, love you all, keep safe out there, and have fun. Peace!

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Job #08:
  1. Janx's Cassettes. I think there's a great degree of variety here whilst also having plenty of interesting cuts, mixed with genuinely solid tracks that would fit pretty well with the whole vibe we've got going on. I like it!
  2. Tonygameman's Cassettes. Similar to Janx, plenty of variety and some interesting choices make this a fun grouping. I love the use of Virtual Sonic, by the way - really inspired pull that I think really doesn't get enough love!

Job #09:
  1. Cyclone Chaser. Honestly, this feels like a really cool change of pace. I can imagine a pretty unique All-Star stemming from this turning into the actual Cyclone and raining hellfire all over the damn place, plus it's a cool vehicle overall!
  2. MTP-01 Whirlwind. I think, in keeping with Sonic having his Cyclone, Tails having his own ride from Drift feels natural - but it also helps that it's been referenced in other media since, such as in Sonic and SEGA All-Stars Racing Transformed and the like.
  3. Sea Fox. As you can probably tell, I'm a sucker for deep cuts, but this feels like it could be a lot of fun. Whilst I don't think it's "the obvious pick" for Tails's ride, I do nonetheless think it's a pretty fun inclusion, and I genuinely wouldn't be opposed to it by any means!
Honourable mention to the Tornado, though - it's incredibly iconic, I just think it's a bit... big?

Job #10:
I'm going to say the Emerald Cup just so I'm not self-voting. Honestly, pretty clever suggestion!

Job #11:
  1. Alex Kidd. I'm interested to see what y'all would cook up for this series, truthfully!
  2. Super Monkey Ball. It's undeniably an iconic series, and there's tons of potential right off the bat for something fresh.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Angel Island Cassettes:
1. KneeofJustice99
2. Self-vote

Tails' Vehicle:
1. Cyclone Chaser
2. Sea Fox
3. Tornado (SA; technically, you could make it a bit smaller)

Ring Cup

Next Series Track:
1. Alex Kidd
2. Jet Set Radio

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
1. Monkey Ball
2. Alex Kidd

Yes, we should absolutely keep doing it this way. I’d rather not get through all of the content for my favorite series all in one go. Having our four series selected before starting on a cup's content is also not a bad idea.

1. Knee’s
2. Self-vote

1. Whirlwind
2. Sea Fox
3. Tornado (SA1)

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #08: tonygameman

Job #09:
  1. Tornado Racer
  2. Cyclone Chaser
  3. Sea Fox
Job #10: Emerald Cup

Job #11: Among those given series, I feel like only Super Monkey Ball is big enough that it feels like it should be in the "main" cup. Alternatively, we can hold on to this one to add the other Sonic Team franchises such as NİGHTS or Puyo Puyo later.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Let's wrap things up! (Sorry I'm behind schedule, by the way.) As ever, if I've miscounted anywhere or made any mistakes, feel free to let me know.

Starting out with our results for Job #08, we actually have a tie between tonygameman tonygameman and Janx_uwu Janx_uwu with a total of 10 votes each. As such, we'll be putting both of their submissions up for voting as a tiebreaker - links to their submissions are here and here respectively. (I feel like just a randomiser would feel a bit unfair.)

For Job #09, the Tornado Racer just about edged out the win as Tails's vehicle! I'll update the Google Doc shortly after this is posted.

As for Job #10, the winning submission was the Ring Cup, which as a result is going to be our first cup's name.

And, lastly, Job #11 saw a win from Alex Kidd, which will be our next track theme. However, seeing all of your takes on how series like Super Monkey Ball should be handled, I'm somewhat inclined to agree. From here on out, it's probably best we decide on a cup's content before submitting tracks - I probably should have considered that myself, but thank you all so much for your input on this.

Moving onto some jobs!

Job #12: Submit a track from the Alex Kidd series!
Given this franchise got the most votes in Job #11, it's only reasonable that it acts as our next track. Whilst I'm planning to revamp how some tracks are done (see Discussion Round #04), this makes a lot of sense to be next up. We'll handle it similarly to how we handled Sonic's first stage. (Cassettes will come in the later jobs, don't panic!)

Discussion Round #03: How should items be handled this time around?
In the original Sonic and SEGA All-Stars, as well as in Transformed, items were original creations for the game that only in some rare cases took inspiration from different SEGA franchises (such as the boost being represented by one of Sonic's shoes.) However, in Team Sonic Racing, they were typically represented by Wisps. A couple of interesting propositions have been mentioned here already - such as introducing a new character-specific item system as a replacement for All-Stars - and I was sort of wondering how you'd all prefer us handle these.

Discussion Round #04: How do you feel we should handle tracks going forward?
I'll admit, I probably should have asked this sooner. A few people mentioned that it'd be useful to have certain series come up later, and honestly, that's pretty fair. Would you prefer that we handle tracks on a cup-by-cup basis, or submit tracks seperately and then order them up later, or do you feel there's a better alternative way of handling this?

Yes, there's only really one job this time around, but I think it's important to get a handle on how we handle things going forward. Again, sorry I didn't get around to asking this earlier. As ever, keep yourselves safe, and have fun!

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
My Cassette vote goes to Janx's collection!

Job #12
Stage Name: Radaxian City
Stage Origin: Alex Kidd in Miracle World (1986)

1673387001573.png

Whilst this location is one of the later ones from the original game (being the 9th level theme, specifically), I feel like the potential for some really unique vibes would make this an interesting track to race around. It's in a great position where it's possible to represent other locations - such as Radaxian Castle, if you wanted, or maybe a distant Mt. Eternal in the distance - but could also bring some really unique theming. Given the general architectural design seen in the remake, I can imagine it having a slightly similar feel to Mario Kart tracks such as Delfino Plaza! In terms of layout, there'd be an "upper" and "lower" path in the form of occasionally branching pathways - though this wouldn't really act as a shortcut. Driving atop pillars and on the upper layer gives you more of a sunshiny feel, whilst the lower layer is much more crowded and feels a bit like some European back streets.

Even better, I can also imagine a unique way to represent the original game's story using this track. Whilst it'd be normal during the first lap (albeit with flags, bunting, and large crowds of people celebrating!), the second lap has the evil Janken the Great take over. King Thunder is removed from his throne, and all of the people in the crowds are turned to stone! However, the third lap has Janken be removed by, of all people, Prince Regent Igul!

Discussion Round #03: I personally quite like the idea of having items be based on different SEGA series, albeit with them having similar functions to more traditional items (like a "booster", a "rocket" or so forth.) Given the original SASASR is typically praised for its item selection, it could be interesting to use that as a base (and then maybe add some extras here and there where appropriate.) That's just me though!

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
For items, I agree with KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 that having items from Sega games with similar uses to the traditional items.

For tracks, I’m fine continuing using the cup by cup basis

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm going to go for a lesser known Alex Kidd title as much as I adore Miracle World:

Job #12
Stage Name: The Lost Stars
Stage Origin: Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars (1986)

This particular track is an abridged summary of Alex Kidd's second adventure, Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars in race track form:

PRE RACE

We start the race atop Mt. Eternal, the very first location from Alex Kidd in Miracle World and the place Alex practiced his martial arts for 7 years. It is a starless night. The sky looks particularly empty.

We see familiar faces to the Alex Kidd franchise such as Alex's master, St. Nurari sitting to the side on an elevated rock.
The announcer voice of 'FIND THE MIRACLE BALL' will play prior to the countdown.
As the countdown begins, a portal summoned by the wizard Daleda opens up in front of the racers.

LAP 1: TOY WORLD

Lost-Stars-gameplay-1.png

As the racers leave the starting lines and drive into the portal, they'll be transported to the Toy World.
  • The track will be made of colourful blocks
  • Sentient Playing Cards, Clowns and Toy Dogs will cheer you on from the sidelines. Some playing cards will even appear on the track, acting as ramps for you to drive off of for a little air and a small speed boost!
  • Much like Toad's Turnpike in Mario Kart, there will be toy cars travelling in the opposite direction to you. Avoid them!
  • The lap ends by driving into an open present guarded by a giant bear head with a horn; Pretty Bear.
  • Stella, the player 2 of the game(providing she doesn't make it as a playable racer) will be seen battling him dodging his musical notes.

LAP 2: WORLD OF MAKE BELIEVE

Lost-Stars-gameplay-3.png

Upon entering the present, racers will be treated to a far more spooky second lap as we enter the terrifying world of imagination.
  • The track is a haunted forest, complete with carnivourous plants that attempt to snare players if they come too close to them.
  • Spooky scary skeletons will cheer from the sidelines.
  • Skeletons will sometimes rise from their graves. A bit. They can be driven over like a speed bump giving a small speed boost upon doing so, but they appear at random.
  • At one point giant skulls will roll down the hill towards you. Avoid them to avoid being crushed!
  • The lap finishes by driving into the mouth of a jack-o-lantern.
  • As before Stella can be seen dodging nimbly out the way of this lap's antagonists as you approach the jack-o-lantern... the Foxmen, a trio of ...well not foxes, but rather one eyed green spirits that bounce to and fro.
LAP 3: GIANTS BODY/ZIGGURAT'S SHRINE

Lost-Stars-gameplay-4.png

Disturbingly it appears the Jack-O-Lantern's insides are made of flesh and blood?!?
  • The track is made of a soft pink substance and begins lined with teeth, eventually having arch ways made of rib bones and the like to drive down, as we race through the inside of a giant.
  • As the lap continues, teeth will seem to fall from the ceiling, as the illusion begins to break apart.
  • It eventually turns dark, and players will be face to face with the final villain of Lost Stars; Ziggurat.
  • The stage is now seemingly set in space as Ziggurat menaces the racers, dropping tiny versions of himself onto the track who will bounce around, causing players to spin out if they crash into them.
  • Penguins and dinosaurs(yes really) will now appear in the audience cheering you on from the sidelines.
  • Stella can be seen fighting off Ziggurat near the end of the race.

Lost-Stars-gameplay-Ziggurats-base.png

• At the very end of the race, you'll come across Ziggurat's shrine. The player in the lead here will free the kidnapped titular 'Lost Stars' by driving into it, and thus come in first.
  • The racers will drive through a portal and come to a stop back atop Mount Eternal, where St. Nurari and Stella will be awaiting them. The star constellations are now in the previously empty sky now the winning racer has freed them!
We didn't do every level(there's a Water World, Machine World and a Monster World as well), but this paints the basic story of The Lost Stars:
Setting out from Mt. Eternal to another dimension, travelling through strange worlds to free the star constellations from the jealous demon Ziggurat who wished to use their power to make himself the most powerful and shining star in all the galaxy.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Discussion Round #03: How should items be handled this time around?
I feel like there's nothing wrong with the original items but I'd like to have more SEGA-inspired ones here. Maybe we can first decide how an item works before figuring out whether it needs a reference coat of paint.

Discussion Round #04: How do you feel we should handle tracks going forward?
It's probably better to go with cups at first but leave some leeway for separate tracks towards the end.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Alrighty, let's do this! (Sorry about yesterday by the way, I straight up passed out LOL)

As for Job #12, our submissions are:

Radaxian Castle - nirvanafan nirvanafan
Radaxian City - KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99
The Lost Stars - YoshiandToad YoshiandToad
Rookietown - Northsouthmap Northsouthmap

Feel free to vote for your top two. The highest-voted will make it in as our next track in the Ring Cup, and our first Alex Kidd track!

In terms of our Discussion Rounds:

I think osby osby 's suggestion of having items be decided in terms of function beforehand makes a lot of sense, and given a generally positive reception to SEGA-based items, they seem like a solid shout!

As for Round 4, solid calls across the board. I think this case would be best-handled by having the first few cups be worked through on a cup by cup basis and then switching it up toward the end.

Given we've only got one voting round this time, I think it's reasonable to toss in another job for funsies! That being:

Job #13: Submit a "speed boost" item!
Similar to the Speed Shoes in the series proper, and equivalents like the Mushroom in Mario Kart, I think we'd all agree that a basic speed boost of some form would be a good call. Then again, what do you think that should be? Toss in your ideas!

Also, Discussion Round #05, should we keep All-Star moves? Personally, I feel we should - but this is a democracy!

Anyhow, keep safe, and I'm sorry for the delay. I'll do what I can to keep on top of things better in the future. Love y'all, keep safe!

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
1. Radaxian City
2. The Lost Stars

Job #13: Speed Boost Item - Rocket Engine (Fantasy Zone)

In the Fantasy Zone games, Opa-Opa can upgrade his speed by purchasing various engines from the Parts Shop he accesses through a balloon, that enables him to move and fly faster, even though some of them are quite hard to control, with this being a particular case for the self-explanatory Rocket Engine, which costs about 100,000 coins (30,000 in Fantasy Zone II: The Tears of Opa-Opa) to get.

When the item is picked up, a metallic rocket engine will emerge behind the driving player's seat (except for on-foot characters aesthetic-wise, like the Chicken Leg or Joe Musashi's horse, Kurenai from Shinobi III, if we decide them as Gilius's and his "vehicles" respectively) or back of their vehicle (in Opa-Opa's case if he gets in later, replace his wings with a booster). Once used, it will cause the player to jet forward with a sudden turbo burst as flames come out of it, also hitting through other racers and obstacles on their way. You can use a item up to three times before it disappears, working much like Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed's Hot Rod item and a turbo power-up in Crash Bandicoot's kart games.

Fifth Discussion Round: Definitely said with only one simple word: yes, keep that gimmick there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom