• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing 3 (REBOOT)

Should this game have a unique gimmick of some form?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
It's been AGES. How about we settle this once and for all?
SEGA has, for as long as anyone can remember, been a company that loves to celebrate its own history - and honestly, who can blame them? Whether it be their entry to the world stage in the 90s, their arcade hits of the 80s, or even their hit releases to this very day, SEGA's a company with a lot of love from its fans. Where better, then, to hodge-podge all of that together? Well, the SEGA All-Stars series, of course.

Starting all the way back in 2005 with the EyeToy exclusive Sega Superstars, it didn't take long for the crossover formula to be taken to tennis with 2008's Sega Superstars Tennis, but where this new series really took off was in 2010 with the original Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing, a mascot kart racer not dissimilar to Mario Kart or Crash Team Racing, but unique in a variety of its own unique ways. Touches and additions of all kinds - be they the All-Star mode unique to each character, or the wonderfully excitable announcer, this was a game that captured imaginations. So much so, in fact, that it was followed up in 2012 with Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing Transformed, even if that kind of crashed and burned because of the very existence of Mario Kart 7. Whilst the series has gone on to evolve into Team Sonic Racing since then, this thread postulates an idea. What if a series like this were to return in its old ways, and celebrate the history it once did? Well, that's what we're here for!

So, here's our content. I'll keep this opening page updated, but I should take this opportunity to also introduce you to something neat - namely, the all-new Google Doc I specifically crafted for this. If you want a more detailed look at each of our inclusions, feel free to check that out. However, I'm going to include some basic info here too! (If ever this is out of date or incorrect, feel free to tell me either here on SmashBoards or over on Discord.)

#J01: Roster Size (32)
#J02: Veteran Racers (AiAi, Alex Kidd & Beat)
#D01: Gimmicks (N/A, trad-racer)
#D02: Cups (Named for series)
#J03: Gameplay (Trad-Racer)
#J04: Beat's Design (JSRF)
#J05: Track Roster Size
#J06: Sonic-Themed Starting Track
#J07: Sonic's Car
#J08: Angel Island Cassettes
#J09: Tails's Ride
#J10: First Cup's Name
#J11: First Cup's Second Track's Series
#J12: Alex Kidd-themed track
#D03: Items?
#D04: Stages?
#D05: Super Sonic!
#J13: Alex Kidd Cassettes
#J14: Tails's All-Star
#J15: Eggman's Vehicle

Sonic the Hedgehog
Miles "Tails" Prower
Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik
AiAi
Alex Kidd Ossale
Beat

???

???

???

First jobs coming soon! (And I am so, so sorry for the wait!)

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Job #01: What's our base roster's total character count?
I think it's a good idea to nail this one down before we start anything. For context, Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing had a total of 20 characters before DLC, whilst Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing Transformed had a total of 24. Feel free to vote on this one: I'll actually have this come down to a vote as opposed to just being averaged out (which was a weird move on my part in the last thread.)

Job #02: Submit a veteran racer!
This time around, I'm not concerned whether the character in question originates from the first or the second game, but I think a veteran is a good place to start. For context, I'm going to allow characters that were originally included as DLC (such as Metal Sonic), but no third-party or guest characters (such as Banjo & Kazooie or the Yogscast.) Have fun with this one!

Discussion Round #01: Gimmicks?
Whilst the original Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing was a fairly traditional kart racer, Transformed was unique in that it had a transforming mechanic allowing each character's vehicle to change into an aeroplane or boat during the race, and Team Sonic Racing uniquely had its team mechanic. I'm going to put a poll at the top of the page in order to work out what y'all want - but feel free to discuss your ideas!

Hopefully, this is a good starting point. Love y'all!

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Veteran racer: Bonanza Bros.

Gimmick proposition: Special Moves
This game would give each racer 3 special moves in place of items
-A projectile or trap
-A shield or close range attack
-A boost or teleport

These would all work differently - some projectiles home in on rivals while others bounce off walls; some traps explode while others force rivals into the opposite direction; some shields reflect projectiles, others prevent falling off ledges; some close range attacks send foes backwards, others let you steal items to use at a later point; some teleports take you underground to make terrain more bumpy, others swap you around with another rival; some boosts can go through walls, others also serve an offensive purpose; so on. The sky's the limit!

There's a meter that can be charged to use it, with the meter charging very slowly but each move only requiring a fourth of the meter. I'm not sure if proper items would exist.

EDIT: Didn't realise this was a discussion, I'll leave this here anyway since I'm proud of the writeup

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
(i may as well submit stuff too lol)

#01:
Character Name: Alex Kidd
Character Origin: Alex Kidd in Miracle World (1986, Master System)

At one time, this janken master was planned to be SEGA's mascot. Now, he's a bit of an oddity, but he's still beloved by millions around the world. A perfect blend of being a representative of classic SEGA and a solid promotion for the still relatively recent 2021 remake, I'm also submitting him because of his vehicle. See, Alex not only has access to his Sukopako Motorcycle, but he also has his Peticopter and Suisui Boat - all of which just so happen to line up with the Ground/Air/Sea forms in Transformed. If we're keeping that around, that keeps him pretty simple but effective! He's also been a veteran of both games as well as the earlier SEGA Superstars Tennis, which surely means something, right?

#02: I'm going for a simple 30 here. I think it's a solid enough increase from the past two games without ballooning out of proportion too much.

#D1: Personally, I think it'd be cool to see the first game's method come back - perhaps whilst keeping different vehicles such as small-scale planes, cars and motorcycles - but having them all function pretty much the same. It sure made things interesting the first time around!

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
EYYYYYY SEGA RACING 3 THREAD RETURNS BAYBEEEEEE

Anyways for a veteran character submission I’m gonna go with the guy that these games made seem like an icon despite his actual general irrelevance…
1672808296056.png

Let’s cockadoodle do this thing~

As for the gimmick, I would like to see the transformation gimmick return. Transformed is one of my favorite racing games of all time, and I feel like the variety in vehicle statuses allowed for some of the best and coolest track designs I’ve ever played. However, because the game should by no means be the same exact concept as its predecessor, for variety’s sake, I say we should find some different methods to implement the transformations. Perhaps even just take the land/sea/sky approach in a more Diddy Kong Racing style? Or perhaps even add a genuine underwater vehicle as well to make some tracks based on things like Ecco the Dolphin or levels like Hydrocity Zone? Whatever the case may be, I just want the three (at least) vehicle categories to return. And I would not be opposed to the potential of an additional gimmick on top of it, as long as it didn’t make the gameplay feel bloated. Wario3’s idea, for instance, sounds excellent IMO and I think it could pair well with the game regardless of whether it used regular vehicles, transformations, or most anything else really.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #01: 28
I think this would be a nice number to cap off our base roster and keep the momentum of the previous entries going. Kart racing games don't need too many racer choices to offer a nice variety and I think starting a bit small would help us consider our options more carefully, rather than just adding every missing big SEGA character.

Job #02: Joe Musashi (Shinobi)
1672816023734.png

I think Joe was a pretty unique addition to Transformed and I'd love to see him return both as a way to honor Shinobi's legacy and as a nod to his series' famous riding sections.

Discussion Round #01: Gimmicks?
I went with the "no gimmicks" option because I feel like we are going to limit our character choices if we go with something like the transforming mechanic, as neat as that was. Maybe we can keep that but allow vehicles to don't change much?

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Job #2: Veteran Racer - NiGHTS

As a character who has close relations with Sonic and many other interesting facts in their legacy, besides having shown up in every previous SEGA Superstars/All-Stars game ever since the original 2004 EyeToy game on PlayStation 2, including Tennis, both All-Stars Racing titles (albeit as a flagman in the first game), NiGHTS should be a plausible choice as one of the returning racers for this job.

Compared to Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, instead of being the car driven by a Nightopian, NiGHTS would be able to float by themselves this time (akin to Opa-Opa in SASASR), performing their signature Drill Dash while boosting and Paraloop as one of their air trick animations (only by aesthetic). If transforming segments are kept in this project, they will use Persona Masks to turn into their Dolphin and Rocket forms when flying on water/air sections of tracks, perhaps even using the Dragon form in their All-Star Move (though there are alternate ideas for that part in it's place, as well).

Discussion Round: I do honestly think that we should be going through a traditional route without transformations and gimmicks, like in the first All-Stars Racing game, even keeping different vehicles (cars, bikes/motorcycles and planes) that all function similarly on the ground. Also, lots of potential characters in future prompts (like Hang-On's Biker, Virtua Formula, Cool Riders, especially Power Drift's drivers and Motor Raid's Geila/Gunz/Io/Robin; at least tracks from two latter games would be so freakin' awesome) may probably not make sense with the former (even though hypocritically, I suggested those for OutRunners in a old thread).

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Job #2: Jacky Bryant and Akira Yuki

Akira-and-Jacky-Sonic-All-Stars-Racing.png

(lol sorry the higher quality images weren't working)

So Virtua Fighter is one of SEGA's biggest franchises. Straight up. It's super influential in the fighting game genre, was hugely popular in its day, and is a staple of SEGA crossovers and general SEGA-related Stuff. This duo being cut from Transformed was insane and I feel like we kinda gotta bring em back. Virtua Fighter 2 is literally the highest-selling SEGA game of all time in Japan. Let's get them in

Anyway, I feel like we should either keep it to basics or add a new gimmick that doesn't limit our choices as much. It's been said before, but the transformation gimmick took a big toll on Transformed's roster - in terms of the amount of unique characters, in terms of which characters were chosen to begin with, in terms of vehicle variety.....So I'd rather we take another route.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Hornet

(Or, alternatively, one-third of the AGES character from Transformed)

It's Daytona! Plenty of racing games to choose from, but OutRun got in pretty early in the last thread so I went with Daytona. Cool game.

I say we keep it to the original game - the All-Star moves were awesome. Wouldn't be opposed to a new gimmick though, if we get to keep said All-Star moves.

Last edited:
Veteran submission:
Gilius Thunderhead (Golden Axe - Arcade, 1989)
1672847621716.png
This miner dwarf that resides the world of Yuria and one of 3 playable characters of Golden Axe series. His twin brother died in hands of Death Adder and he needs to team up with Tyirs and Ax Battler to defeat the evil Death Adder.
Gilius Thunderhead is not afraid of SEGA Crossovers, since he appeared in Sonic "Worlds Unite" comics, SEGA Superstar Tennis, SEGA Allstars Racing Transformed and now discontinued SEGA Heroes.

I feel that Gilius Thunderhead should come back for next SaAR game, since Golden Axe became very popular title when the first game was released and it would totally make sense to include an arcade beat'em up character in the game.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Glad to see these first jobs are going well! I may as well bring things into the voting period for now.

»»————- :starman: ————-««​

Job #01: Stepping away from the weird averaging thing I was doing in the last thread, this time around the votes for roster count are:

28 Racers ( Northsouthmap Northsouthmap & osby osby )
30 Racers ( KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 , Pupp135 Pupp135 & Mamboo07 Mamboo07 )
32 Racers ( nirvanafan nirvanafan )

So, feel free to vote for your top two. The highest-voted response will be our base roster's total character count.

As for Job #02, there were tons of submissions here! These were:
Bonanza Bros. (Bonanza Bros.) - Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario
Alex Kidd (Alex Kidd) - KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99
Beat (Jet Set Radio) - nirvanafan nirvanafan
Opa-Opa (Fantasy Zone) - Northsouthmap Northsouthmap
AiAi (Monkey Ball) - @Darkonedagger
Ulala (Space Channel 5)
- Pupp135 Pupp135
B.D. Joe (Crazy Taxi) - Mamboo07 Mamboo07
Ryo Hazuki (Shenmue) - 92MilesPrower 92MilesPrower
Billy Hatcher (Billy Hatcher) - Torgo the Bear Torgo the Bear
Joe Musashi (Shinobi) - osby osby
NiGHTS (NiGHTS Into Dreams)- tonygameman tonygameman
Jacky & Akira (Virtua Fighter) - Speed Weed Speed Weed
Hornet (Daytona USA) - Janx_uwu Janx_uwu
Gilius Thunderhead (Golden Axe) - Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds

In this case, vote for your top five. The three characters with the highest votes overall will be included in this game's playable roster (and might get some other interesting treatment down the line too, so watch this space!) Please, however, keep in mind that these are going to be some of the first characters in the roster. Starting strong can really help us out when we're working on this down the line, so try and vote for who you think is high-priority - essentially so we can get them out of the way! (It'll be less like this later down the line, I promise.)

With Discussion Round #01, a lot of interesting points have actually been made in the favour of numerous outcomes. I'm going to keep the poll up until voting for this round's ended, mostly just so we can get a better idea of things. I have to say though, I'm loving the creativity and thinking going into it already!

»»————-  :starman:  ————-««
I think running jobs alongside voting was a bit much in the last thread, but this feels like a reasonable addition just to keep things interesting.

Discussion Round #02: Cups?
How would you prefer we handle cups in the Grand Prix mode? There's a few ideas I have for this one, but would you prefer:
  • Cups with a central theme, such as a specific series (i.e., Sonic Cup), genre (i.e., Fighting Cup) or something else (i.e., Arcade Cup or Monkey Cup)
  • "Retro" cups that specifically bring back older tracks either from previous games in the ASR series, or port from games like Daytona USA or Virtua Racing
  • Cups specifically themed around objects or concepts from different games (a bit like SASASR's Chao Cup or Graffiti Cup)
  • Groups of tracks with identical themes but different layouts (similar to Roulette Road, Bingo Party and Pinball Highway)
  • Something else entirely! More or less than 4 tracks per cup? Random mechanic?

Feel free to discuss ideas for this! I'm totally open to unique suggestions, though I do have a plan in mind based around a more... traditional cup design.

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
Alex Kidd
AiAi
Ulala
Beat
Ryo

30 characters
32 characters

As for cups... I think we should have a focus on designing some newer tracks, but I like the idea of bringing back a few returning tracks from the previous two games (provided that we actually can with how our gameplay works out) and even possibly stretching to port tracks from other games like Team Sonic Racing, maybe Sonic Riders, and of course stuff like Daytona or OutRun if it would feel right. I wouldn't even oppose to taking a Mario Kart approach and making new versions of older tracks to fit in with possible new gimmicks or features we have, if possible. Like, for example, if we bring back transformations, we could have a rendition of one of the first game's Seaside Hill tracks that gains a water section on its third lap.

With cup theming though, I prefer to go with the same angle as the first game- giving the cup an icon based on something from one of the games, make sure there's at least one track in the cup from the series the cup is modeled after, but fill it in with any tracks we have.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
  1. 32
  2. 30
Mostly for 32x tbh.

Racer votes:
  1. Alex Kidd - if you know me, you know I have to vote for the Radaxian Prince as my number 1. Has a whole heap of cool official vehicles he uses from his Sukopako motorcycle to the suisui speed boat, the peticopter, a pogostick and a brand new biplane.
  2. Opa-Opa - another absolute essential in my eyes. Is the vehicle.
  3. Billy Hatcher - a non essential but I'll be damned if I didn't enjoy his title, and think running enemies over with a giant egg isn't amusing. I'm a Yoshi fan after all.
  4. Jacky Bryant and Akira Yuki - if we get the Outrun car with official racer car driver Jacky, we absolutely need their return. Thematically appropriate.
  5. Hornet - just like Jacky, thematically appropriate.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
1. 32
2. 30

1. Billy Hatcher
2. Joe Musashi
3. NiGHTS
4. Aiai
5. Beat

For cups, I think that the central themes (series/genres/decades) or themes with different layouts seem like cool ideas

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
1. Beat
2. Jacky & Akira
3. Bonanza Bros
4. NiGHTS
5. Opa-Opa

I think it would be cool if we had cups where, instead of being based on an item (like Flower, Mushroom, Star, etc) it would be based on SEGA hardware. Inanimate Game Gear and company was a cool inclusion in Monkey Ball, but I don't see it working in a racing game. Delegating the hardware to cups would be a good way to represent it. The tracks included would actually have zero affiliation with the console represented in the cup - cause like, in the hypothetical Genesis Cup, I don't want us to be forced to only choose one Classic Sonic level and have that be the only Genesis Sonic track in the game. Other situations apply too, like if we get to the hypothetical Saturn Cup but a lot of people don't know too much about that era of Sega. That gives us about 8 or 9 cups to work with, pretty good number I think. We could also throw in some popular arcade cabinets or card game machines and bump that up 12 or something, if we wanted to.

TL;DR Cups based on Sega hardware, tracks included actually may or may not be related to said hardware.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Roster count:
  1. 30
  2. 32
Returning veterans:
  1. Jacky & Akira
  2. AiAi
  3. Alex Kidd
  4. Ulala
  5. Joe Musashi
Discussion Round #02: Cups?
I think a central theme runs the risk of being too specific, personally. We'd want to avoid a situation where a good track idea has to be skipped because we have enough arcade or platforming tracks. Having an overarching theme that's more loosely based on concepts would give us more freedom while still having thematic consistency.

However, bringing back some retro tracks is a good idea: maybe have one for both ASR and Transformed, as they both have some really good ones.

Also, having a random cup or a "choose your adventure" kinda cup would be fun to have.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Sorry I'm a bit late with voting, I ended up falling asleep earlier, but I've tallied everything up. Before I start, though - if you feel I've miscounted at all, feel free to tell me, I'm more than willing to check over it again. So, here we go!

For Job #01, the winner ended up being 32 Racers with a total of 20 votes. Unrelated, but I love the 32x connection that YoshiandToad YoshiandToad brought up - can't believe I didn't think of it myself! Anyways, I think this is a nice, round number to work with.

»»————-  :starman:  ————-««​

As for Job #02, there was a lot of competition here, but given the large number of submissions I'm going to include all of the characters with the number of votes they recieved.

This means that our first veterans (aside from the Sonic characters we already added) are going to be AiAi, Alex Kidd and Beat! Congratulations to the submitters of each of these characters! (Once I've posted this, I'll update the Google Doc to include the new submissions.

»»————-  :starman:  ————-««​

As for Discussion Round #01, the poll (as of writing) is tied between a more traditional style of racer and a return of Transformed's mechanic, with eight votes apiece. Given I don't think I can actually start the poll again, I'm going to essentially need to put it to a vote between the two. (Nonetheless, I do really like the alternative ways of handling things that were suggested!)

Discussion Round #02 brought us plenty of unique concepts and ideas to work with. I'm actually not going to put this one to a vote just yet, because I think it'll be a good idea to have a number of tracks set out first. (That'll be a job coming up for our next actual voting round.)

Whilst the next big voting round is going to happen tomorrow, I think now's actually a good time to put forward two smaller jobs that, in the long run, could end up being just as important.

Job #03: Trad-racer or Transformation?
Whilst I love a lot of the unique ideas that have come about, the fact that we've ended up in a tie between these two means it's pretty much necessary to decide between them (especially since this would have a big effect on how tracks would look going forward.) Feel free to just put the one that you prefer in this case.

Job #04: Beat's design?
Unlike a lot of characters, Beat's an interesting case in that he has two prominent designs associated with him, each from a different game. This might seem innocuous at first glance, but I think it would be useful to get out of the way sooner rather than later. It could potentially lead to a change in his vehicle, or even to how tracks are decided and the like, so it's your call! Again, feel free to vote for the one you prefer, either JSR or JSRF.

Well, here we are! How are y'all feeling about this so far? I'd be interested to see what people's thoughts are this early on. Love y'all, and I'll get onto the Google Doc now!

Top Bottom