• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Shonen Jump Vs. Capcom: Tankobon Throwdown

Should Jotaro’s classic fighting game stand mechanic return in Shonen Jump vs. Capcom?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Job #16

Hmmm... A second character for a SJ series that already has a character, huh?

Well, many have said this already, but One Piece is jump's biggest series, so it should naturally have more than one character. It's a big series with a huge cast of characters, but the most prominent ones are Luffy's crewmates, the Straw Hat pirates.

The crew consists of 9 diverse characters (other than Luffy) with unique skillsets and personalities, and all have a varying degree of popularity. So I think the second One Piece character should be from Luffy's crew. And who do I pick, exactly? Why, of course it's...

Usopp...?
1634662927975.png

The fourth (officially third) character to join the Straw Hat crew, Usopp serves as the crew's marksman and is prone to tell exaggerated stories about his adventures, many of which end up coming true.

Naturally, Usopp would utilize a variety of projectiles, such bombs and seeds, as well as his dials for high risk damage. He'd be a very deceptive fighter, with the ability to cancel out of his projectiles with USOPP RUBBER BAND! and maybe a "100 ton hammer" for a close ranged attack, and so on.

Usopp may not be the most popular of the straw hats, but he has a wide variety of different tricks that would make him a very unique fighter, and while his inclusion over the more popular Zoro and Sanji might raise some eyebrows, I believe it would help further differentiate the Shonen Jump roster from the average Shonen Jump crossover fighter. (Plus, at least one of them could be included later)

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
EDIT: never mind; I read the prompt more closely and saw that it was for a series with only one character. I'll keep my original nomination on here in case I nominate the character later, though I'll go with someone else.

I did say he'd be a good fit for a playable character, so...

Frieza (Dragon Ball)

Probably one of the more iconic/recognizable/popular Jump villains out there, to the point where he had an entire movie dedicated to his resurrection and a Japanese metal song inspired by him. I am not joking about that last one.

Frieza was the main villain of Dragon Ball during Namek saga, and probably the first one that comes to mind when most fans think "Dragon Ball villain". Infamous for his refusal to die and the sheer amount of forms that he has (lines like "This isn't even my final form!" have stuck with people for a reason), Freeza was a seemingly-unstoppable juggernaut despite the unassuming appearance of his final/true form (pictured above). Sadistic, cruel, self-centered, and racist, Frieza set a standard that later villains like Perfect Cell or Super Buu seemingly tried and failed to imitate.

Dragon Ball FighterZ (along with countless other Dragon Ball fighting games) already gives an idea of how he could play, but in addition to the series standards of punching, kicking, and ki blasts, Frieza can hit or choke people with his tail, use psychic powers, throw around ki energy that's shaped in the form of buzzsaws, and transform into Golden Frieza to give himself a power boost. (while his other forms would make his gameplay more interesting, such as stabbing opponents with the horns of his second form, it's probably best to stick to his fourth form for simplicity's sake)

If he's not allowed since Dragon Ball already has Goku and Kid Goku, I'll think of someone else.

Jinbei (One Piece)

A major figure in the One Piece world, Jinbei has ties to Luffy, Ace, Whitebeard, Big Mom, the World Government, and plenty of others. On top of that, he's the most recent member of the Straw Hat Pirates as of this writing. When it comes to fighting, Jinbei's a master of Fishman Karate, allowing him to attack people by sending shock waves through the water in their bodies, in addition to throwing around water like a weapon.

One Piece is a massive series, especially in Japan, and I think Jinbei would make for a good contrast with the cast that we have so far (and especially with Luffy) due to his appearance, seriousness, and focus on traditional martial arts as opposed to brawling. While I could go with someone like Zoro or Sanji, I find Jinbei more interesting than Zoro, and Sanji has a major issue when it comes to video game appearances since he can't hit women)

Last edited:

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Job #16: Yoko Kurama (YuYu Hakusho)
1634685112679.png
Kurama is the Silver-Haired Fox Demon and one of the four main characters of YuYu Hakusho.

Reasons to consider him is that he's a very nature focused fighter which no other characters have, along with a whip also no one else has. Kurama would have a very unique playstyle no other character could provide by using and manipulating plants, and having long-range with his rose whip. Another is he would be a great fit with Hiei, as they're the demons of the main group.

(sorry if this felt a bit rushed, that's because it is, might edit later but I wanted to get this before the deadline and I'm not sure if I'll have another chance to submit soon)

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
My submission: Inosuke

Inosuke is one of the main characters of demon slayer and is fairly popular. Demon slayer is really big and was an absolutely massive snub for the jump force game’s DLC and so I think to make up for it we should give them two reps. He would fight with dual wielded swords and an aggressive, unpredictable fighting style.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
D

Deleted member

1. Inosuke
2. Jinbei
3. Toga

Last edited by a moderator:

Kamen Minecraft

Smash Apprentice
Job 16:
Asta from Black Clover.
Black Clover is a huge series that most definitely earns a spot in the roster. There are a lot characters I would want to see in this roster But I feel Asta is a must. Asta can play as a Rushdown fighter with a unique Anti-Magic gimmick. His Anti-Magic can erase any Magic or Magiclike Projectile but it wouldn't work on Physical Projectiles. Asta can hit pretty hard so he would do a lot of damage but his attacks could be predictable due to his lack of swordsman training.
00-featured-asta-black-clover-closeup-screenshot.jpg

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Here are the results of the Job #17 voting:
Himiko Toga 3
Bakugo 7
Usopp 16
Jinbei 8
Kurama 6

And so, Usopp will be added to the roster!

Well anyways, here’s the next job… Which will be pretty much the same as this job only with Capcom:

Job #18: Submit A Second Character For A Represented Capcom Series
Submit a second character for any Capcom series represented with just one fighter as of now. Please submit a character, explain a little bit about how they would fight, and why they should be in this game.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Leon Scott Kennedy (Resident Evil)

We only have one Resident Evil character at the moment (Wesker), and considering that Leon's been added to the "SmashBoards creates" threads for a future Smash Bros. game, PlayStation All Stars 2, and Marvel vs. Capcom 4 (at the very least - there might be others), I'm going to try and continue that trend by nominating him here.

Leon has plenty of melee attacks between his knife, punches and kicks, or suplexes, in addition to guns (and grenades, and eggs, and mine throwers, and rocket launchers...) that could serve as projectiles or super moves. Resident Evil 4 probably gives plenty to work with on its own, given that this was the point where the series took a more action-heavy direction, but material from Resident Evil 2 and 6 could also be used if need be.

While Leon doesn't have much of a connection to Wesker, Resident Evil 4 revitalized the franchise, which seems like enough of a reason on its own. Plus, if there's dialogue before a match, it could be pretty entertaining to see him put up against the likes of Dante (since Devil May Cry 1 was originally Resident Evil 4), Light Yagami (maybe he's assigned to the Kira case?), or Deku. (not sure if this has been animated or not, but if Deku's new powers are incorporated, maybe Leon could think that Deku's a bio-weapon?)

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Job #18: Herlock Sholmes (resubmition)
CAPCOM
Herlock Sholmes (The Great Ace Attorney)

Abilities: Great Deductions
View attachment 334066
Herlock Sholmes is the legendary detective known for quick fire observations and THE GREAT DEDUCTIONS.

Reason to include him is because he'd be fun, we don't have many of those "just for the heck of it" fighters on the Capcom side so why not add one of Capcom's most loved recent Ace Attorney characters; Ace Attorney is definitely a big enough series to warrant two fighters after all.
Also, I just realized I never gave off moveset ideas. Herlock could use gadgets his assistant made, gather evidence, and could use the Great Deduction as a super.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I’ll resubmit Demitri
Demitri from Darkstalkers

See the source image

I think it would be cool to add some characters from darkstalkers who aren't usually added to crossovers and so my pick would by Demitri. He would with pretty much all the abilities and combos he has in the darkstalkers games. I feel like he would be a good choice because he's relatively popular yet obscure, and is often considered the main character of the darkstalkers franchise.

D

Deleted member

Resubmitting Lady D

Alcina Dimitrescu (Resident Evil)

One of the main villains from the latest Resident Evil and a character who the internet completely ate up. She would be a slow character but with vicious attacks and would likely summon her daughters in combat. Yes, there is the problem that shes a gaint, but we could could likely work around this.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Here are the results of the Job #17 voting:
Himiko Toga 3
Bakugo 7
Usopp 16
Jinbei 8
Kurama 6

And so, Usopp will be added to the roster!

Well anyways, here’s the next job… Which will be pretty much the same as this job only with Capcom:

Job #18: Submit A Second Character For A Represented Capcom Series
Submit a second character for any Capcom series represented with just one fighter as of now. Please submit a character, explain a little bit about how they would fight, and why they should be in this game.
Well... this one might be a weird choice, but I think he'd be a good alternative choice to the usual.

Character Name: Vile
Character Series: Mega Man X
Character Origin: Mega Man X (1993)

1634833433854.png

Whilst Zero is the most common choice for a new MMX character, Vile has a particularly unique level of potential that - until now - hasn't been seen in any of the VS Capcom games at all... which has always been a bit of a surprise to me. Vile essentially acts as a major antagonist to X and Zero, answering directly to Sigma himself - and, at one point, being an A-Class Maverick Hunter - making his new nature as a violent and dangerous Maverick even more dangerous to his opponents.

Unlike many other MMX villains, Vile has actually appeared numerous times - specifically, in X, X3 and X8. Not only this, but he has the unusual property of a unique gameplay gimmick - his Ride Armor.

1634833884383.png

I imagine this would allow Vile to act as a "replacement" for Tron Bonne - though taken to the logical extreme. His style is the very definition of a tank - able to soak damage within his Ride Armor with ease, as well as having quite a few options in the ranged department such as his knee bombs, paralyser cannon and a vast number of other weapons as seen in titles such as Maverick Hunter X. He even has some effective grappling power, by using his Ride Armor to his advantage! As well as this, his Ride Armor - being custom built - has some sweet upgrades, such as a "hover" function that can let him slow his descent, or even a dash function that deals significant damage.

However, he has some issues. For starters, his Ride Armor makes him quite heavy, and large - which makes him an easy target to get hits into. As well as that, his heavier attacks are pretty slow - mostly for balancing, but also because of the sheer size of this lad. (After all, he's around 1.75 times taller than X! Though, his Ride Armor is a little smaller in this incarnation.)

I'd also like to suggest that his other appearances be his alts - as they are pretty cool looks overall (which I'll attach.)

1634834268269.png

So... why not Zero? Well, to be honest, I think that a title like this needs more characters like Vile - after all, many of Shonen's great antagonists aren't the main antagonists of their series, such as
Hisoka, Hol Horse and Vegeta to an extent
so... it makes sense to add such a character to this roster. Not only this - but I think that the opportunity to really display some of Capcom's lesser-known characters is a good one to sieze, as in a game like Tatsunoko VS Capcom for instance. This is just my own take... but I think he'd be hella cool.

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
1. Leon (Leon must dominate Creation threads)
2. Herlock Sholmes (Herlock should dominate Creation threads)
3. Demitri (Demitri... Yeah, Demitri!)

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Here are the results of the Job #18 voting:
Leon 8
Herlock Sholmes 11
Demitri 3
Lady Dimitrescu 7
Vile 1

And so Leon and Herlock will be added! One is a character people have wanted in crossovers like this for a long time now and Is highly expected to be, and then the other is uh… not. But overall I think they’re both really good newcomers! Now onto the next job:

Job #19: Submit a Stage For Capcom Series Without Any
Submit a stage for a capcom series that’s in this thread but doesn’t have one as of yet. Please submit a location, say what series it’s from and say any potential cameos.

Here are the series that are eligible:
Strider
Captain Commando
Rival Schools
Resident Evil
Viewtiful Joe
Okami

Last edited:
Job 19:
Airship (Marvel vs. Capcom)

It would take place on Airship from MvC series. The Cameos are Amingo, who watches the Fight.
I nominate the stage, because it's a Capcom original Stage and it would be cool if it was included in the Game as tribute to previous crossover.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Job 19:

Shinshu Field (Okami)

Shinshu Field is just outside of Kamiki Village, the first area that Amaterasu visits in Okami. As pictured above, it's a field with a river running through it - a cherry blossom tree blooms in the background, and pathways wind their way along the hills. Mostly, this is an excuse to show off the gorgeous painting-inspired art style of Okami. Various inhabitants of Kamiki Village, such as Susano and Kushi, Mr. and Mrs. Orange, and Sakuya could make cameo appearances in the background.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
7760ECD9-6138-43D2-9937-0F89AF78D218.jpeg

I will submit Village. Since Leon is in and will probably have a lot of inspiration from resident evil 4 in his attacks I think it would be good to represent that game, especially because it’s not really the side of the franchise that is usually used in crossovers like this despite its iconic nature. It would take place in the village from the opening of Resident Evil 4 and there would be zombies in the back ground including the chainsaw man I want a chainsaw man rep in this game for the sole purpose of referencing this enemy

D

Deleted member

Taiyo High (Rival Schools)

The School Batsu transfers to at the start of Rival Schools. This stage will take place on a sports field in front of the school. Various students from the series will appear, watching the fight.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
1. Village
2. Shinshu Field
3. Taiyo High

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Here are the results of Job #19 voting:
Airship 2
Shinshu Field 10
Village 11
Taiyo High 7

And so Village and Shinshu Field will be added as stages. Now onto the next job:

Job #20: Submit A Subtitle For The Game’s Name
Okay so this may seem like a weird job but this game doesn’t have a proper name yet so we’ll add one right now. Most of the capcom vs games have subtitles in their full name, like MvC1 is called “Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes” and MvC2 is called “Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes” and so you’ll submit the full name of this game here. If you want the full name to be just “Shonen Jump vs. Capcom” without anything else added that’s fine, you can submit that.

D

Deleted member

Tankōbon Throwdown

Tankaobons is a term used to refer to manga that has been collected in volumes. And I just think it sounds catchy.

Top Bottom