• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Shonen Jump Vs. Capcom: Tankobon Throwdown

Should Jotaro’s classic fighting game stand mechanic return in Shonen Jump vs. Capcom?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Kenshiro
Kid Goku
Kinnikuman

Honestly as much as I love traditional Dragonball(more than Z or Super outside the Saiyan Saga) with the roster currently so small having two of the same character on it already is a little too much for me at this early stage.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Okay so people might not have seen it because of the orange text, but I actually embedded two polls in the post above. Just click on the text “Shonen Jump” or “Capcom.” and vote for which Shonen Jump or Capcom stage you’d prefer.

Anyways, here are the votes:

Kinnikuman 9
Kenshiro 9
Kid Goku 9

yep it’s a three way tie. I’ll start a poll later to break the tie.

Anyways, since this creation thread obviously dosent have that many members, in the future I might submit a couple characters at a time to give us a little more submissions to vote for. This isn’t saying everyone will be able to submit two things at a time, just myself as the creator of this thread.

Job #5 will start soon

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Okay so people might not have seen it because of the orange text, but I actually embedded two polls in the post above. Just click on the text “Shonen Jump” or “Capcom.” and vote for which Shonen Jump or Capcom stage you’d prefer.

Anyways, here are the votes:

Kinnikuman 9
Kenshiro 9
Kid Goku 9

yep it’s a three way tie. I’ll start a poll later to break the tie.

Anyways, since this creation thread obviously dosent have that many members, in the future I might submit a couple characters at a time to give us a little more submissions to vote for. This isn’t saying everyone will be able to submit two things at a time, just myself as the creator of this thread.

Job #5 will start soon
Considering there is a tie i would include all characters (atleast in some way) When it comes to kid goku what if we use the gt variant? he has SSj and is a kid!
But even though he isnt jump i wonder if astroboy should be included?

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Well…
BETTER LATE THAN NEVER!

Yep, everyone has probably forgotten about this thread and no longer gets notifications but I’m going to resume it anyways because why not? So I hope everyone is ready to resume this thread after five months. Yeah almost half a year. Anyways, moving forward, I’m going to tone down the size of this thread a bit. We’ll only really be doing the characters and stages now, and I’ll do more adding multiple things per job so it might go more quickly. I still think we’ll have fun even if it’s a bit smaller now though!

Anyways for now I’m going to add the three SJ submissions we got: Kinnikuman, Kenshiro and Kid Goku to the roster! Now let’s finally move onto the next job:

Job #5: Submit Two Capcom Characters Who Debuted In Arcades
Alright so since we added three SJ characters we will add three capcom characters from this job. All you have to submit are two characters from Capcom who you think should be added but you can do one as well. Please submit the character(s), explain who they are, and why they should be in this game. They can be anyone as long as they debuted in an arcade game, so a lot of classic characters or fighting game characters are eligible.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Well…
BETTER LATE THAN NEVER!

Yep, everyone has probably forgotten about this thread and no longer gets notifications but I’m going to resume it anyways because why not? So I hope everyone is ready to resume this thread after five months. Yeah almost half a year. Anyways, moving forward, I’m going to tone down the size of this thread a bit. We’ll only really be doing the characters and stages now, and I’ll do more adding multiple things per job so it might go more quickly. I still think we’ll have fun even if it’s a bit smaller now though!

Anyways for now I’m going to add the three SJ submissions we got: Kinnikuman, Kenshiro and Kid Goku to the roster! Now let’s finally move onto the next job:

Alright so since we added three SJ characters we will add three capcom characters from this job. All you have to submit are two characters from Capcom who you think should be added but you can do one as well. Please submit the character(s), explain who they are, and why they should be in this game. They can be anyone as long as they debuted in an arcade game, so a lot of classic characters or fighting game characters are eligible.
Well, here's my own take on a couple of picks. First up:

Strider Hiryu
Series: Strider
Debut: Strider (1989)
Abilities: Martial Arts, Superhuman Speed/Agility, Mastery of Various Equipment
1632676834310.png

Whilst I do get some ire might come from Strider already being in so many Capcom crossovers, there's a reason for it. Being an interesting archetype that would work particularly well here, being a ninja of sorts (Perhaps interactions with Naruto could be intriguing?) he actually has a lot of moveset potential, as can be seen in the various incarnations of his character in titles like the MVC series. Not only this, but his wide variety of weapons in his series actually brings a lot of potential for a more unique moveset here as opposed to just "ninja with a sword," which would differentiate him from other characters of a similar archetype.

And, here's my second pick.

Tessa/Tabasa
Series: Red Earth
Debut: Red Earth (1996)
Abilities: Magical Abilities, Alchemy, Close Connection with Cats

1632677922724.png

On the other side of the gameplay spectrum, we have Tessa, one of the protagonists from Red Earth. Being a sourcerologist, though commonly mistaken for a witch (and, in my opinion, an absolute shoo-in as a guest fighter if there's ever a new Darkstalkers title,) her magical abilities would make her quite an interesting character to play as, being more-so zoning-based, as well as being able to use her cats in battle alongside her. An interesting possibility here could actually be being able to include, in some way, the levelling system from the original Red Earth - perhaps with meter being used to "increase" her level, which would possibly increase the power of her various spells.

Whilst one might suggest Leo, the "main protagonist" of Red Earth to be playable here, I think that despite his cool half-lion design, Tessa has more gameplay and interaction possibilities here - though that is just my take.

Hope these concepts are cool!

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero

Sir Arthur

Series: Ghosts 'n Goblins

Hailing from Capcom's (other) classic tough-as-nails platformer series that's primarily known for its NES port, Sir Arthur is the protagonist of Capcom's Ghosts 'n Goblins series and a staple of the vs serious. He would likely play similarly to how he does there with his lances and magic.

(Sorry for making a half-assed and probably poorly researched post. I just wanted to make a contribution to the thread as I will continue to do moving forward)

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Job #5: Submit Two One Capcom Characters Who Debuted In Arcades

Captain Commando
Debut: Captain Commando (1991)
Abilities: Physically Strong, Energy Gloves, Captain Cannon, Captain Corridor

1632680151695.png

Captain Commando is the leader of the Commando team from the 1991 Side Scroll Beat 'em Up Captain Commando. One of the main reasons to include him is the simple fact that he was the original mascot for Capcom, but he also stands on his own for the fact that he comes from a fun game and would make an excellent fighter. Captain Commando has the ability of Fire and Electricity with his Energy Gloves, and can use the gloves for his moves Captain Cannon (torches opponents with blast of flames) and Captain Corridor (a strike to the ground causing electric shock flow in the floor).

(sorry if the formatting and writing was a bit weak, I haven't done a write-up in a long while. Also that I only have one submission, I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to Capcom arcade titles, not even that familiar with Capcom tbh I mainly joined for Shonen Jump)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Jin Saotome:
The main protagonist of the game Cyberbots: Fulmetal Madness, Saotome made a memorable appearance in Marvel Vs Capcom 2, and would likely play similar in this game, albeit in 3D. He would fit into this game due to his appearance, being based off of mecha protagonists.

Batsu Ichimonji

Batsu comes from the Rival Schools series of games. Batsu is basically a shonen protagonist, coming from a game about high schoolers battling each other. His delinquent attitude would mesh well with characters like Jotaro and Kenshiro.

Last edited by a moderator:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master

Captain Commando:
Captain Commando is a classic character from the beat em up game of the same name. He had made several appearances in Capcom VS games and is almost designed like a mascot character for the company. His superhero like appearance would contrast well with the superpowered heroes of Shonen Jump.
Captain commando has already been submitted.

Anyways, I'd like to submit:
Haggar from Final Fight
See the source image

A regular in the MvC series, Haggar would fight pretty much the way he does then. He would also give us some much needed heavyweight representation.

Demitri from Darkstalkers
See the source image

I think it would be cool to add some characters from darkstalkers who aren't usually added to crossovers and so my pick would by Demitri. He would with pretty much all the abilities and combos he has in the darkstalkers games. I feel like he would be a good choice because he's relatively popular yet obscure, and is often considered the main character of the darkstalkers franchise.

And just so everyone knows, you don't actually have to submit anything in the "powers/abilities" section. It's just a thing I'm adding to the character profiles because the mvc4 thread used to do it.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
  1. Tessa (seems weird and I like that. Not someone I even thought of but I kinda want to see her in a Capcom Vs. game now)
  2. Strider Hiryu (Admittedly basic choice as he's been in most Capcom crossover games, but he still would be a great choice and it's nice to get the essential characters out of the way first)
  3. Captain Commando (too perfect for the game, he's literally Captain Commando)

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Here are the results of our votes:
Strider Hiryu 7
Tessa 4
Arthur 4
Captain Commando 11
Jin 0
Batsu 5
Haggar 0
Demitri 5

Meaning Hiryu and Captain Commando will be added, and we have a tie for third place between Batsu and Demitri. Here’s the poll to break the tie. Please vote for your preferred option:

Now here’s the next job:
Job #6: Submit Two Capcom And Shonen Jump Stages
I’d like to add some more stages right now, so for this job I’ll ask you to submit two Capcom stages and two Shonen Jump stages, although you can submit less if you would like. Please submit the location, where the fight would take place, and any cameos in the stage. Three stages will be added from this job.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Quick question before I submit a stage. Do stage cameos deconfirm? Because if so I'm hesitant to add my stage idea as it would deconfirm a bunch of popular characters.

Job 6:
Demen-ni-gru (Devil May Cry)

It would be flat Walk-off stage taking Place on DMC's Iconic Tower: Demen-ni-gru!
The Cameos are Vergil, Trish, Lady and Sparda, who are watching the Battle.
The style is similar to DMC 5, but it has some Accents of DMC 3.

Airship (Marvel vs. Capcom)

It would be same layout as Demen-ni-gru, but it has edges that you can fall-off. It takes place high in skies on Iconic Airship.
The aren't any cameos here, but at least the Background looks great.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Here are the results of our votes:
Strider Hiryu 7
Tessa 4
Arthur 4
Captain Commando 11
Jin 0
Batsu 5
Haggar 0
Demitri 5

Meaning Hiryu and Captain Commando will be added, and we have a tie for third place between Batsu and Demitri. Here’s the poll to break the tie. Please vote for your preferred option:

Now here’s the next job:
Job #6: Submit Two Capcom And Shonen Jump Stages
I’d like to add some more stages right now, so for this job I’ll ask you to submit two Capcom stages and two Shonen Jump stages, although you can submit less if you would like. Please submit the location, where the fight would take place, and any cameos in the stage. Three stages will be added from this job.
CAPCOM

Stage One - The Courtroom. (Phoenix Wright)
1632847465055.png

This Stage takes place inside the Courtroom in which many of the trials took place in the Phoenix Wright series (though notably, the design is a sort of fusion - primarily focusing on the appearance in the original game, but with elements from other PW titles also.) Notably, there is in fact a trial in session whilst the battle takes place - with different characters being in the case depending on who's on stage. If Phoenix is being played in battle, the trial will be between Apollo Justice and Klavier Gavin, and if Phoenix isn't in battle, he and Miles Edgeworth will be there instead.

Notably, their animations will be basically the same as in their original titles - though made a little more realistic to transition between each of them, as opposed to just the jump cuts. Furthermore, there's some more cool Easter Eggs - the person in the Witness Stand can be various characters from either PW or AJ titles (depending who's actually in court,) and there's a small chance that Winston Payne will be the prosecutor in PW mode as opposed to Edgeworth.

Stage Two - Robot Museum (Mega Man.)
1632847822987.png
1632847942976.png

Based loosely on the appearance of the Robot Museum in titles such as Mega Man 7 and Mega Man and Bass, as well as in various spinoff media, this stage is sort of a fusion of their appearances. Various Robot Masters (as well as one or two other robotic enemies such as the Dark Man series, and perhaps even Stardroids!) are on display in the background, many of them being in special poses based on their original appearances (and there'd be RMs from across the series.) The stage itself will also have people milling about - most notably Roll, Dr. Light and Dr. Cossack, as well as more minor characters like Auto and Kalinka - and also Dr. Wily, in a disguise similar to that seen in Mega Man 6 when he takes on the identity of "Mr. X."

There's various ways you could take this, but I think that the glass "tubes" with the RMs in cool poses could be a brilliant idea - however, having a wide-open room similar to actual museums could be a really nice touch to give it a more... airy feel.

SHONEN

Stage One - Jotaro's Prison Cell (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
1632848224040.png

Featuring in Heritage for the Future, but in this case with a slightly updated design based on both the manga and anime, the battle would notably take place inside the cell, with Joseph, Avdol and Holly in the background outside of the cell. However, if the prison bars take enough damage, they'll break - and open up the corridor, giving more space to the stage as a whole. Whilst other stages, such as that of Fearless Kakyoin, may be better known - this makes more sense simply on the basis of being Jotaro's own stage.

Stage Two - Ground Beta (My Hero Academia)
1632848469671.png

Despite it not possibly being as unique as other locations, Ground Beta works in my opinion because you could really go wild with the background. Being a wide-open city space, you could have various MHA students in their hero uniforms facing off against the various training robots in the background (maybe with some Pro Heroes observing?), being able to reference quite a few of the characters in the series. It doesn't really have a gimmick per-say, but I don't think it really needs it.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Shonen Jump Stage 1: Thousand Sunny (One Piece)

The Thousand Sunny is the second ship of the Straw Hat pirates led by Monkey D. Luffy. The fight would take place in the ship's deck, where the Straw Hat crew will be observing the action.
Zoro
Nami
Usopp
Sanji
Chopper
Robin
Franky
Brook
Jimbei

Was gonna submit another stage but got ninja'd with the Capcom stage submission and the other SJ stage I wanted to add was from a series not on the roster. we really need a fighter from a togashi series.
Astro boy vs Megaman needs to happen
Astro Boy isn't Shonen Jump though

D

Deleted member

Soul Society (Bleach)
The home of the Soul Repaers, this stage takes place in the middle, in front of the Seireitei. Popular Soul Reapers from the seires appear in the background to watch the battle, including:
  • Kenpachi
  • Rukia
  • Renji
  • Byakuya
  • Hitsugaya
  • Rangiku
  • Unohana
  • Yachiru
  • Shihoin
  • Kurotsuchi
  • Sajin
  • Yoruichi

Makai (Darkstalkers)
The demon realm from the Darkstalkers seires. Players fight inside the hellish realm. It looks much like the stage pictured above but with added details. Morrigan 's castle can be spotted in the distance. Various strange and grotesque demons appear in the background, and a swarm of Q-Bees will even fly past.

Last edited by a moderator:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I’ll give my submissions then finish up this job soon:

Capcom: Fortuna

Yes, I know DMC4 was like 12 years ago, I just think this is a beautiful location and would make a great stage.
Anyways you would play in a flat area in Fortuna, based on the first stage of DMC4. Sanctus, Credo, Kyrie, and, assuming he doesn’t get in (I hope he does lol) Nero would cameo.

SJ: Marineford
A0767FA9-CBA2-4361-9C8C-B7A9611C95B5.jpeg

You play on an icy platform while the battle of marineford happens behind you. The cameo potential is pretty much endless here, we could have all the marines, warlords, whitebeard and his pirates, shanks and his pirates, and more.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Batsu will be added as a character. Anyways here are the options for Job #6. Please vote for your top three most wanted capcom and SJ stages. You can only put your own submission in second or last place.
Capcom:
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds Demen-Ni-Gru
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds Airship
KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 Courtroom
KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 Robot Museum
@Darkonedagger Makai
Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule Fortuna

Shonen Jump:
KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 Prison Cell
KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 Ground Beta
Jondolio Jondolio Thousand Sunny
@Darkonedagger Soul Society
Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule Marineford

My votes:
1. Makai
2. Court
3. Fortuna

1. Soul Society
2. Ground Beta
3. Marineford

D

Deleted member

1. Fortuna
2. Makai
3. Court

1. Marineford
2. Soul Society
3. Ground Beta

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Here are the results of our voting:
Demen-Ni-Gru 3
Airship 0
Courtroom 9
Robot Museum 3
Makai 5
Fortuna 4

Prison Cell 0
Ground Beta 6
Thousand Sunny 3
Soul Society 5
Marineford 10

Meaning our Capcom stages will be Courtroom, Makai and Fortuna, and our shonen jump stages will be Marineford, Ground Beta and Soul Society. Now onto the next job:

Job #7: Submit A Capcom And/Or Shonen Jump Villain Character
For this job, please submit a villain character from capcom, shonen jump or both. Please submit the character, explain a bit about how they would fight, and why they should be in this game. Reformed villains are allowed for this job.

Last edited:
Top Bottom