• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates - Project NvP: A crossover fighter starring Nintendo and PlayStation characters (thread up for adoption)

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Nintendo: Duck hunt
thumb-1556212146963.jpg

I do agree that choosing characters that are not on Smash is nice, but I feel like Duck hunt is just way too iconic to be ignored. It was one of the best selling NES games and it's a pretty big classic, and pretty much everyone knows the classic dog laugh today.

Sony character: Sweet tooth
Sweet_Tooth_PlayStation_All-Stars_Battle_Royale.png

Twisted metal is one of the biggest Sony franchise with a total of 8 main games and a few spin-off, and with the rumors of a new game coming to the ps5 I think Sweet tooth deserve a spot.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
I don't have a Nintendo Entertainment System/NES character in mind for now (most good ones were already submitted), but this post ensures a meaning on why we're open for crazy oddball/what-the-heck picks. (😉 - as YoshiandToad YoshiandToad said back at the old thread)

PlayStation 1/PSone Rep - Vibri (Vib-Ribbon)

Designed by Masaya Matsuura of PaRappa the Rapper and Um Jammer Lammy fame, Vib-Ribbon is a rhythm game developed by NanaOn-Sha for the original PlayStation in 1999, which released on Japan and Europe. The game focuses on a cute and adorable female rabbit named Vibri, who wanders the Music World across a long vector line while dodging incoming obstacles along the way while bouncing to the musical beat, transforming into a fairy princess when clearing enough of them in succession. Otherwise, she will de-evolve into a frog and later on, a worm if she gets hit many times. The game is known for it's visuals, innovative concept and a unique feature, which allows the player to use any music CD to play a custom stage created from it, as it's software data loads into the PlayStation console's RAM even when a disc is removed (this playlist proves it all).

Let's allow our good ol' PlayStation 1 YouTuber friend to explain this game in it's entirety visually, with some music too:

Vib-Ribbon was popular enough to spawn two Japan-exclusive sequels for PlayStation 2, Mojib-Ribbon (focused around rap music and calligraphy) and Vib-Ripple (which involves Vibri jumping into digital images loaded into the game to generate levels like a trampoline while revealing hidden objects) in 2003 and 2004 respectively. The game was re-released on PlayStation 3 via PlayStation Network for North America in 2014, referenced as a easter egg/cameo in a pre-installed/pack-in PlayStation 5 title, Astro's Playroom and acquired by the Museum of Modern Art as part of it's video game collection (yes, for real).

For Vibri's moveset possibilties, it's really simple! (turns into a vector-line scribble for the reference's sake)

She would be a very light fighter (around Jigglypuff's) who is capable of crawling in her worm form, using acrobatics for various attacks (performing spinning high-speed twirls in her fairy princess form, rolls, somersault/split kicks and leapfrog vaults like how she crosses blocks), stretch out her legs, use her ears like helicopter blades for a multi-hitting aerial attack, transformations, summon shapes/obstacles from her home series (blocks, spikes, loops, Boomchies as explosive mines and others), jump high into the air with a trampoline drum (like Sonic, Pac-Man and Banjo's Up Specials) and use her drum/timpani sticks for a soundwave attack which does more damage when played in rhythm, acting like a weaker version of Donkey Kong's old Final Smash.

For her ultimate/Final Smash move, Vibri will turn into her fairy princess form and charge forward at opponents, catching them in her way. She then traps them into Music World from the first game, sending out a bunch of obstacles towards them at non-dodgeable speeds before transporting them back to the stage with high knockback and damage.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Little Mac (Punch-Out)

Popular title, particularly on NES & he does fit right in for a fighting game.

Spike (Ape Escape)

Iconic Platformer that was always flat out owned by Sony as far as I know (unlike Crash). Saw additional series entries & iconic controls.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Today's Polls:

Nintendo Character:
  • Ayumi Tachibana
  • Mach Rider
  • Samus Aran
  • Takamaru
  • Duck Hunt Duo
  • Little Mac
PlayStation Character:
  • Sir Daniel Fortesque
  • Parappa The Rapper
  • Dart Feld
  • Robbit
  • Sweet Tooth
  • Vibri
  • Spike
HOW TO VOTE

For each category, list your top three choices. Your most wanted nomination gets 3 points, your second most wanted gets 2 points, and your third most wanted gets 1 point. Your own nomination may only receive the 1-point vote.

The fighter from each category with the most points will be added to the game. In the event of a tie, the nomination with fewer 1-point votes will rank higher.

1. Samus Aran (Definitely need her in the Game!)
2. Mach Rider (He could be cool Retro Rep of PSA × SSB)
3. Takamaru (Self vote, but at least Famicom Character could fit in the Roster)

1. Parappa (He was used to be the Face of Playstation, so he deserves to be in the Game)
2. Spike (We need a Character that could be DK's Rival in the game!)
3. Robbit (Shameless Self-Vote, but it would bee cool if we had a unexpected Fighter like Robbit)

Shout-out to Little Mac and Sir Daniel Fortesque!

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Nintendo Character:
  1. Samus. There's no reason to not include her with Pit already being in
  2. Little Mac. I think his game has distinct gameplay that's wildly different than anyone we have so far
  3. Ayumi. Shameless self-vote
PlayStation Character:
  1. Vibri. She's just such a unique and fun addition. We need more picks like her
  2. Sweet Tooth. He was unexpectedly fun in PSASBR and has a pretty extensive history with the console
  3. Spike. Not much to say, I just enjoy his concept

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Nintendo Character:
  1. Samus Aran (got a certain first-party PS5 title in mind for her rival)
  2. Takamaru
  3. Ayumi Tachibana
PlayStation Character:
  1. Robbit (I must admit, Tankman. This is actually one of those rare good ideas you have, but he also got weapons like roman candle lasers/twisters/rockets/cherry bombs, power pill invincibility power-up for a potential dash special, ground slam from Robbit Mon Dieu and a triple jump; maybe latter two can be used for his up special?)​
  2. Sir Daniel Fortesque​
  3. Vibri​

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
TODAY'S RESULTS

Representing the NES:
6th: Duck Hunt (1)
5th: Mach Rider (3)
4th: Takamaru (7)
3rd: Ayumi (8)
2nd: Little Mac (11)
WINNER: SAMUS (24)​
Untitled.png
Representing the PSone:
7th: Dart Feld (0)
6th: Robbit (4)
5th: Vibri (6, 3 ones)
4th: Sweet Tooth (6, 2 ones)
3rd: Sir Daniel (8)
2nd: Spike (11)
WINNER: PARAPPA (19)​
parappa_the_rapper_the_rendder_by_nibroc_rock_d9htxf3-300w.png

DAY #6: WHAT'S THE STORY?

We know that the world of Project NvP was made by worlds of Nintendo and Playstation crossing over. But how did it happen, and why? Project NvP will have the answers in its Story mode: a structured campaign supporting at least one player. With fun, unique gameplay tied together with a compelling narrative, this Story Mode aims to offer a meaty, enjoyable experience.

HOW TO NOMINATE
In at least 50 words, describe any ideas you have for the Story Mode. Consider the following questions:
  • What causes the worlds of Nintendo and PlayStation to collide? These two multiverses are completely separate entities, and thus far nothing has been able to combine them to this extent. You will need to come up with an original framing device for this mega-crossover.
  • What drives the conflict of the narrative? There needs to be a valid reason for the fighters of Project NvP to work together, or perhaps against each other, in the challenges of the Story Mode.
  • What are the types of challenge featured in the Story Mode, and what ties the challenges together? Try to think of things that make this Story Mode more exceptional than other challenge modes in Project NvP.
You may also want to consider other details for the story mode, like the title of the mode, the original characters, possible forms of progression, etc.

Voting on the Story Mode will begin when this post is over 24 hours old. Nominations can be edited at any time until then, so discussion is highly encouraged. If you don't want to create a nomination from scratch, you can always reply with feedback to someone else's nomination. Have fun!

Day 6:
Title of Story Mode: "Worlds Collide!"

Plot:
Somewhere in Interdimensional Void, where all Universes and Multiverses are scattered, Polygon met up with Tabuu to make an Ultimate plan, which was Colliding Sony Multiverse along with Nintendo Multiverse. While Polygon Man was uniting 2 Huge Multiverses, Tabuu created portals for each universe to bring all the fighters to fight each other.
Meanwhile when all fighters were gathered in front of Tabuu and Polygon Man and they team up to defeat their ultimate foes, but Polygon Man and Tabuu had a backup plan to Kidnap other fighters except Mario or Sackboy (Depends on what character you will pick as Starter), who needs to save their friends and rivals before Polygon Man and Tabuu will trap them forever.
During the Game, Polygon Man and Tabuu mix themselves to become a Ultimate Foe of Whole Omniverse: "Master of Universes", which you fight him as Final Boss.

How it's gonna work:
The Challenges in this Story Mode are gonna be like Spirit Battles, where you collect the Spirit, but you collect a new Collectible rather than a spirit (I suck at Challenges, don't judge me).
There are also Side missions in the story mode aside the Main ones like unlocking new fighters by fighting them like in Smash.

Other stuff regarding the Story Mode:
The story Mode could be like mix of Melee Adventure Mode (Due to Challenges and Fight levels), Subspace Enmisary (Due to platforming nature) and World of Light (Due to Spirit Battle-like missions, where you collect Collectibles like Spirits and World Map) and there are gonna be Bosses like in Smash, where you fight huge foes, but there are separate Bosses and mixed Bosses (Inspired by Idea of Megadoomer on PSABR 2 thread) that you need to Fight to progress the game.

(I know the post was meant to have at least 50 Words, but I wanted to explain more to make it more interesting and meaty to play).

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Day 6:
Title of Story Mode: "Worlds Collide!"

Plot:
Somewhere in Interdimensional Void, where all Universes and Multiverses are scattered, Polygon met up with Master Hand to make an Ultimate plan, which was Colliding Sony Multiverse along with Nintendo Multiverse. While Polygon Man was uniting 2 Huge Multiverses, Master Hand created portals for each universe to bring all the fighters to fight each other.
Meanwhile when all fighters were gathered in front of Master Hand and Polygon Man and they team up to defeat their ultimate foes, but Polygon Man and Master Hand had a backup plan to Kidnap other fighters except Mario or Sackboy (Depends on what character you will pick as Starter), who needs to save their friends and rivals before Polygon Man and Master Hand will trap them forever.

How it's gonna work:
The Challenges in this Story Mode are gonna be like Spirit Battles, where you collect the Spirit, but you collect a new Collectible rather than a spirit (I suck at Challenges, don't judge me).
There are also Side missions in the story mode aside the Main ones like unlocking new fighters by fighting them

Other stuff regarding the Story Mode:
The story Mode could be like mix of Melee Adventure Mode (Due to Challenges and Fight levels), Subspace Enmisary (Due to platforming nature) and World of Light (Due to Spirit Battle-like missions, where you collect Collectibles like Spirits and World Map) and there are gonna be Bosses like in Smash, where you fight huge foes, but there are separate Bosses and mixed Bosses (Inspired by Idea of Megadoomer on PSABR 2 thread) that you need to Fight to progress the game.

(I know the post was meant to have at least 50 Words, but I wanted to explain more to make it more interesting and meaty to play).
I don't really like the idea of the main antagonists being characters from earlier Smash Bros and All-Stars games. In my opinion, the original elements of those games should be represented as their own universes amongst the others. I would prefer original antagonists, possibly controlling or being manipulated by Tabuu and Polygon Man.

This is just my opinion as an individual, not a mandate as host of the forum game.

Last edited:
I don't really like the idea of the main antagonists being characters from earlier Smash Bros and All-Stars games. In my opinion, the original elements of those games should be represented as their own universes amongst the others. I would prefer original antagonists, possibly controlling or being manipulated by Tabuu and Polygon Man.
No worries. I can change that.
I changed that Tabuu and Polygon Man are now Main Antagonists.
Master Hand could show up as Boss or Miniboss, but he could have some connections with my story mode.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No worries. I can change that.
I changed that Tabuu and Polygon Man are now Main Antagonists.
Master Hand could show up as Boss or Miniboss, but he could have some connections with my story mode.
That doesn't really address what they where saying. I think they where saying they'd prefer completely original elements not from any existing smash game. But ti's your pitch obviously.

I might type something up if I have time later.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Story Mode

Plot:

For convenience's sake, the plot takes place under the assumption that different Nintendo and Sony franchises are already interconnected and characters would be at least remotely familiar with each other's existence as long as they are in the same universe.

The main antagonist of the game is the one who sets the collision of the worlds to motion. As they will also likely be the final boss of the game, details about their identity can be determined later (or if anyone feels like contributing to this post). In a misguided attempt to create a perfect universe by mixing the two of the "best" together, they unwittingly began to destroy both as the collisions (reflected as stage invasions) are shown to have chaotic and unpredictable results.

It's up to the playable characters to travel through a now-unfamiliar land to find the source of the collision and stop it for good. It should be noted that not everyone is initially on-board with this. Evil characters may be more than fine with using this unexpected state of disarray in their own favor while neutral or chaotic characters may simply not care about the events that much. It's up to the player to beat some sense into those to add them to your ragtag roster of impromptu universe savers and speaking of the roster;

Gameplay:

When starting the story mode, the player will only have access to a handful of characters, likely a couple of rival pairs. By playing through the mode, new ones are unlocked. A lot of plot-related battles will force certain characters to be selected but others allow any fighter. Either way, co-op is available, as long as two players choose different characters as alternate costumes are locked.

The game loop of the story mode consists of three sections. Firstly, they have to travel through a 2D world map to reach new destinations, by following pre-determined paths and solving occasional puzzles. There are also a good number of standard battles and boss battles that are similar to regular gameplay, using mostly standard stages and fighters with some special effects when necessary. These comprise most of the plot-important battles.

Then there are "dungeons". These are platforming beat'em up sections where characters need to travel through long, largely linear sections with some route selections, beating up mook characters along the way, similar to Subspace Emissary or Smash Run. Most items would be available during these sections but certain ones would be disabled.

That doesn't really address what they where saying. I think they where saying they'd prefer completely original elements not from any existing smash game. But ti's your pitch obviously.

I might type something up if I have time later.
Actually, I made a small change regarding about Original Characters.
I made an original character based on fusion of Polygon Man and Tabuu, known as "Master of Universes".

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
So we agree that the main antagonist will call themselves a "Master of Universes," with the expressed goal of combining all Nintendo and PlayStation universes into one world. Perhaps their intention in doing so is to overpower and control all the fighters and assert themselves as the unquestionable ruler of all existence?

So we agree that the main antagonist will call themselves a "Master of Universes," with the expressed goal of combining all Nintendo and PlayStation universes into one world. Perhaps their intention in doing so is to overpower and control all the fighters and assert themselves as the unquestionable ruler of all existence?
I totally agree with that Name and Character. "Master of Universes" could fit as new Antagonist for NvP game due to being an omnipotent Entity that has power of Space-Time and he is collector Entity that gathers every PS and Nintendo Character to fight themselves, but he had a backup plan to Kidnap other fighters, because he believed that they would fit him easily, so he sent them into random worlds and Mario or Sackboy (Depends who are you gonna pick first) need to save them.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I think it would be interesting if the fighters had a hideout in a pocket dimension between the two multiverses, where the Master wouldn't be able to find them. It could start out as a few rocks floating in the void. As the player explores the conjoined universe and completes challenges, the base could expand with new facilities allowing the fighters to train their strength and socialize with each other.

I think it would be interesting if the fighters had a hideout in a pocket dimension between the two multiverses, where the Master wouldn't be able to find them. It could start out as a few rocks floating in the void. As the player explores the conjoined universe and completes challenges, the base could expand with new facilities allowing the fighters to train their strength and socialize with each other.
That would be cool.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I think it would be cool if their hideout had npc characters from other Nintendo/Playstation games as well.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I'll collate the info we agreed upon for the Story Mode in the main thread later. As for now...

DAY #7: ARENAS, PART 2
Today we'll be adding two more arenas to the game. As always, you may nominate one Nintendo arena and/or one Playstation arena. Try to represent a game that doesn't already have an arena.

HOW TO NOMINATE
Reply to this thread with the name of your arena, the game it comes from, the layout of the arena and any important aesthetic features. Do not include any hazards that could disrupt the fight, and do not include an invasion.

osby

Smash Obsessed
PlayStation Stage: Coral Countryside (Sackboy: A Big Adventure)

1642486704620.png

Coral Countryside is a part of one of the first planets Sackboy visits in A Big Adventure, The Kingdom of Crablantis. It's an underwater arena that causes all fighters to be slightly floatier than they usually are. Its layout is a closed cavern with rocky platforms on the sides and two coral platforms swimming on the water between them.

Nintendo Stage: Palutena's Temple (Kid Icarus: Uprising)

1642486365066.png

Palutena's Temple is a large arena that originally acts as your hub arena in Uprising. It is a central palace that's ruled by the goddess of light and takes the form of an ethereally colored citadel of Hellenistic and futuristic architecture. It features a good amount of breakable objects that change the layout of the platforms, such as columns and bridges.

D

Deleted member

metroid-dread-artaria.large.jpg

ZDR (Metroid Dread)
The main setting of the most recent Metroid game. Players fight in an area much like the one seen above but with a few platforms. Alien life forms will roam around in the background.

The_Last_of_Us_Part_2_Seattle_Day_1_Abby_The_Forward_Base_New_Mexico_Coin.jpeg

Forward Base (The Last of Us: Part 2)
A major location in the Last of Us 2. Players fight on top of the cages as crowds of pepole watch on and cheer. There are breakable objects in the stage. Characters from the game will cameo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Playstation Stage:
Job 160:
Wildwoods, Norway (God of War 2018)
1642525261029.png

It would be stage similar to walk-offs, but it has edgy slopes at each sides of Stage. It takes place at Wildwoods in ancient Norway during Norse Era. The Cameos are Atreus, Calliope, Athena, Thor and Loki.
The Hazard is Jormundgard, where he comes out of the Background and slams his body on stage, resulting damage and stage Shake. He appears for while and dissappears after that. You can also hit him to leave the Stage Hazard early.
Nintendo Stages:
Green Gardens (Kirby)
1642525298616.png

Green Gardens is one of Levels in Kirby Star Allies, which is the actaully first one. It takes place on Planet Popstar in Green Greens area as it was shown on Map of Popstar.
The Layout would be similar to Green Greens, but it's bigger and it has resemblance to Green Gardens level from Kirby Star Allies. Whispy doesn't do anything, but still he appears on Stage while watching the Fight.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Nominated Stages
  • Coral Countryside
  • Palutena's Temple
  • ZDR
  • Forward Base
  • Wildwoods
  • Green Gardens
Because the list of nominations is so small, we will group them together in a single poll. As always, vote for your top three: 1st place gets 3 points, 2nd place gets 2 points, 3rd place gets 1 point, and you cannot rank your own nomination 1st or 2nd.

The four stages with the most votes will be added to the game.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
After a tally of the results, Coral Countryside, Palutena's Temple, ZDR and Green Greens will be added to the stagelist.

DAY #8: READY-MADE RIVALS
Project NvP's roster is built around pairs of rivals representing the different facets of Nintendo and PlayStation gaming. Today we'll nominate a pair of characters to be added as each other's rivals.

HOW TO NOMINATE
You must nominate exactly two characters- one representing Nintendo and one representing PlayStation. These two characters, if voted in, will serve as each other's rivals. Be sure to explain what makes their pairing interesting.

osby

Smash Obsessed
PlayStation Character: Kat & Dusty (Gravity Rush)

1642663498365.png

The main character of the 2021 PlayStation Vita action RPG game, Gravity Rush. Kat is a young amnesiac who, after receiving gravitational powers from a mystic cat she names Dusty, assumes the role of a hero for the Hekseville city. She's upbeat and helpful, not fond of unneeded violence.

Nintendo Character: Ness (EarthBound)

1642663706806.png

The silent protagonist of the 1994 NES turn-based RPG Earthbound. Ness is a young boy whose regular life turns into a grand adventure to save the world after a meteorite crashes near his house and an alien informs him about his status as a prophesized hero.

I think Kat and Ness would have an interesting rivalry due to the sheer amount of similarities they have. Not only they are both young protagonists with supernatural powers, but they also both hail from cult-classic franchises that got a lot of praise despite the low amount of entries.

D

Deleted member

Captian Falcon and Sweet Tooth

Both characters from games where they are in a car the whole time. Both characters who made appearances outside of their vehicles in a crososver vs game.

Nintendo Character:
Marth (Fire Emblem)

Marth is one of Main protagonists of Fire Emblem series and he is a brave warrior that fight monsters and Dragons, who are threatening the Archanea. Marth is also distant ancestor of Chrom and Lucina, which it was mentioned in Fire Emblem Awakening.
Marth appeared first on Famicom back in 1990, where his first game was Tactical RPG that you need think where Marth could go or not.

Marth is one of Iconic Nintendo Characters that appeared in Smash Bros. Melee and continued to appear onwards and his series were so popular that Smash has a lot of Gire Emblem characters in the Roster.

His moveset would be replicate his Smash moves, but instead focusing more likely on Sword, he could use different abilities like using other Weapons like Devil Axe for example. Marth could also retain his Stats and his playstyle could be the same.

Playstation Character:

Sir Daniel Fortesque (MediEvil)

Sir Daniel Fortesque is main character of MediEvil Games. He is a undead hero that he is actually skeleton in Armor with a sword. He was Revived by Gallowmore magic and came back as Skeleton after being killed by single arrow 100 years ago. His purpose is to kill Zarok before he would take over the Kingdom.
He debuted first on Playstation 1 in 1998 as Hack N Slash title, where you kill Monsters in Middle Aged kingdom.
Sir Dan is one of Classic Playstation characters that appeared in Playstation Allstars Battle Royale and he was a huge welcome back present for Sony fans. He also could be Iconic Sony character that could join the Roster along with Marth.

His moveset could be similar to Playstation Allstars' one, but he won' be a sluggisg fighter, but rather a better version of him. He could retain some moves from PSABR and MediEvil games as well.
He could retain his Stats and his playstyle is same as PSABR.

I nominate Marth and Sir Dan, because they are both Originating from First Consoles, they are both Swordsmen, whose games have "Middle-Ages" theme and they both are fan-favorite characters that gave so much popularity in their Platform Fighter games.

Top Bottom