• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates - Project NvP: A crossover fighter starring Nintendo and PlayStation characters (thread up for adoption)

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I hate making big posts on mobile so I'll make it quick: Crash and Banjo. Both were pillars of their brand during the Fifth Generation of Gaming, both are cartoons animals, and both share a parent company now.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I know this thread is not limited to characters owned by Sony and Nintendo, so I have to ask: how do we determine which third-party characters are associated with which console if they are not exclusive to one?

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I know this thread is not limited to characters owned by Sony and Nintendo, so I have to ask: how do we determine which third-party characters are associated with which console if they are not exclusive to one?
That's a subjective quality, but usually it's based on the character's legacy. If their most iconic games were released as exclusives, for example, that could strongly tie them to one side over another. There are plenty of other reasons a given third-party can be associated with Nintendo or PlayStation; it's up to the nominator to argue their case.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Job #8: Ready-Made Rival Fighters

Nintendo Character - Captain Olimar (Pikmin)

Captain Olimar is the main protagonist of the Pikmin series, who comes from the planet Hocotate, and while on several missions for his employer, Hocotate Freight, he discovered PNF-404 after his delivery spaceship, the S.S. Dolphin, crashed there after colliding with a meteor in space and collecting it's missing parts to escape with the help of plant-like aliens called Pikmins.

These days, Nintendo seems to like promoting the series with a recent port of Pikmin 3 on Switch, a rumored fourth title apparently coming up, a mobile game called Pikmin Bloom from Niantic (which developed Pokemon GO) and as a big part of the upcoming Super Nintendo World theme park.

Much like in the Super Smash Bros. series since his playable debut in Brawl, Olimar relies on commanding an army of Pikmins to assist him in attacking opponents for their mutual benefit, with a core playstyle revolving around managing and using his various Pikmin combinations to his advantage, as he's weak on his own and he needs at least one to use most of his attacks.

PlayStation Character - Kulche (LocoRoco)

Kulche is the starting playable protagonist of the puzzle-platformer video game series, LocoRoco, which started on PlayStation Portable (PSP) in 2006. The series focuses on jelly-like creatures called LocoRocos, who the player must guide through levels by tilting the environment, avoiding hazards and enemies. Despite humble sales, the series managed to capture the hearts of many players around the world (including myself, this game was my childhood) thanks to it's unique gameplay, cutesy visuals (just look at these cutscenes, for example) and addictive soundtrack (trust me; according to TV Tropes, all three games has lots of good bangers; there's even a recent vinyl release - my personal favorite is Zappudo Geron, Budzi's theme).

The franchise is surprisingly big on it's own, as it got a mobile version on cell phones the following year and three sequels; LocoRoco Cocoreccho! on PlayStation 3, LocoRoco 2 and LocoRoco: Midnight Carnival. The first main-line two games were even remastered for PlayStation 4 in 2017 alongside PaRappa the Rapper and a fellow PSP series created by Japan Studio, Patapon (which also has good music). LocoRoco was even showed in other PlayStation games such as Tokyo Jungle, LittleBigPlanet, Astro's Playroom, The Swords of Ditto and PlayStation Home with it's own world (video).

Kulche himself was apparently considered for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale as evidenced by an old concept art for the roster, as well, even though the series is ultimately represented with a stage, Franzea.

Kulche would possibly be an unexpected fighter with a highly distinct and very simple design, who actually has experience in fighting (he even crushed the Metal Gear RAY in PlayStation All-Stars, for crying out loud. How cool is that?).

As this link explains, he does have moveset potential like:
  • For his gimmick, Kulche starts the match as a small and light character, able to grow in size by eating Pickory berries via holding the button (for up to five seconds) to become bigger and heavier with stronger damage.
  • Can split himself into smaller Kulches and re-form back by pressing and holding down the button respectively when reaching to his maximum size (only the main Kulche can lose a stock, though others can be easily killed).
  • Can shape-shift (based on Unphook chewing and spitting him in different shapes) and change his size for certain attacks like charging rolls, jumping headbutts and aerial ground pounds, though it doesn't apply for his gimmick as he immediately turns back to his current size.
  • Use his singing ability to leave opponents inside a radius vulnerable by making them dance (uncontrollably taunting), thus healing himself in the process.
  • Can perform high bouncing jumps from Midnight Carnival, able to leap even higher and jump off walls when done in a succession.
  • Can create/summon stage elements to help him jump and roll on the battlefield with ease, such as Chuppa to blow himself into the air, Nyokki as a raising wall/barrier akin to Steve creating blocks, etc.
  • Summon MuiMuis to assist him in battle by either dragging opponents towards him for follow-up combos with a fishing rod, lifting him into the air with a crane or bombarding opponents with a plane (like in the mini-game BuiBui BwoooooN! and a boss fight against Galamnar).
  • His finisher/ultimate move would be based on the climax of LocoRoco 2, in which Majoline sends out a huge Bunyo Bomb (powered by singing Mojas) towards Euphoria, and Kulche & every other creature singing together in harmony, sending the Bunyo Bomb straight towards opponents in outer space and back into Majoline.
I'm pitting Olimar and Kulche against each other since:
  • Both of their series debuted in the 2000's.
  • Games happened in peaceful nature-based worlds with cute titular multi-colored creatures, who has antennas on their heads, are involved with plants (Pikmins are pretty much plant-animal hybrids and when LocoRocos are singing, plants will grow) and aliens who arrived to their home worlds/planets via comets from the outer space which kick-started the first game's plot (Olimar himself when a comet hit his spaceship, causing him to crash-land into PNF-404 and the Mojas as their comet crashed into Euphoria, causing the invasion).
  • They are friends with small creatures (Pikmins and MuiMuis), who has similar body types and can help them out during their adventures.
  • Both of their games focuses on teamwork-based puzzles, even controlling identical armies (for recruiting them back, Olimar is able to call his Pikmins and LocoRocos re-joining by merging with each other), which would basically work as a foundation for their movesets (which speaking of, other Leaders and LocoRocos can easily work as alternate costumes).

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
TODAY'S POLL

New Rival Pair:
  1. Kat vs Ness - osby osby
  2. Captain Falcon vs Sweet Tooth - @Darkonedagger
  3. Marth vs Sir Daniel - Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds
  4. Crash Bandicoot vs Banjo & Kazooie - PeridotGX PeridotGX
  5. Pikmin & Olimar vs Kulché - tonygameman tonygameman
Vote for your top three choices: 1st place gets 3 points, 2nd place gets 2 points, 3rd place gets 1 point, and you cannot rank your own nomination 1st or 2nd.
As third-party candidates, Crash vs Banjo will lose 3 points in the final point tally.
The pair with the most points after 24 hours of voting will be added to the game.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean, I picked Marth and Sir Dan cuz of being both Swordfighters, who are very popular characters.
Yeah, but that's not a very interesting reason to pair them up, considering there are dozens of popular sword wielders among suitable characters. Maybe a more engaging reason behind their rivalry could be how they contrast each other:

Marth is perfectly fitted to the role of the Hero King due to his leadership qualities and humbleness, yet struggles with self-care because of his idealism. In contrast, Sir Dan's Hero of Gallowmere title was completely undeserved and he had to learn about thinking his kingdom before himself.

Yeah, but that's not a very interesting reason to pair them up, considering there are dozens of popular sword wielders among suitable characters. Maybe a more engaging reason behind their rivalry could be how they contrast each other:

Marth is perfectly fitted to the role of the Hero King due to his leadership qualities and humbleness, yet struggles with self-care because of his idealism. In contrast, Sir Dan's Hero of Gallowmere title was completely undeserved and he had to learn about thinking his kingdom before himself.
I didn't played MediEvil, but that's true what are you saying.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Unless I hear that Yokta Yokta wishes to come back to this thread in the next 12 hours, I'm taking over this thread.
I'm very certain that you're rightful for this position even if it means access on a opening post (to keep our eyes for what was recently added) with admins' permission, good luck.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Unless I hear that Yokta Yokta wishes to come back to this thread in the next 12 hours, I'm taking over this thread.
If you’re going to take over this thread you should probably make a new thread for this so that way the original thread owner doesn’t get notified from it and you don’t need someone’s permission to edit the original post

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Top Bottom