• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Pop Culture Clash

Should Godzilla and King Kong be swapped for MechaGodzilla and MechaniKong as bosses?

• Yes

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Only Godzilla/MechaGodzilla

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Only King Kong/MechaniKong

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AlRex

Smash Lord
3. PCC Jam (Let real people in!)
I've said my piece on real people in this project before, although I've half-thought about making the last base roster vote or first DLC vote be for a real person. Other than that, I've said that someone like the Undertaker, Daft Punk, the Gorillaz, etc. would be eligible for a good few of the jobs in the past and in the future. Laika seems fine for this one, because it's not like the dog or their previous owners would sue the game makers, necessarily, and it wouldn't really be potentially offensive, as far as I can tell. Although I suppose it'd be a similar concern to what Sakurai had with the Nintendogs. Perhaps I worry too much, though.

Some Shonen Songs submissions:
1. Jolyne Theme - Stone Ocean
2. DIO's theme - JJBA
3. I'll Vento D'oro - JJBA Golden Wind
4. Pillar Men them - JJBA
5. Demon Slayer OP theme (Because of mine PFP)

I've said my piece on real people in this project before, although I've half-thought about making the last base roster vote or first DLC vote be for a real person. Other than that, I've said that someone like the Undertaker, Daft Punk, the Gorillaz, etc. would be eligible for a good few of the jobs in the past and in the future. Laika seems fine for this one, because it's not like the dog or their previous owners would sue the game makers, necessarily, and it wouldn't really be potentially offensive, as far as I can tell. Although I suppose it'd be a similar concern to what Sakurai had with the Nintendogs. Perhaps I worry too much, though.
I mean, it was a joke to put them. Unless we can put Daft Punk or Undertaker like you said.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Sorry if I'm sounding pushy, but I feel like we're getting bloated on Nintendo content. Some small content from Zelda, Kirby, or Pokemon is okay, but Captain Falcon and Marshall? They're not important.
In general I feel Nintendo bloat is a problem in creation threads. The Another Universe thread has this very same problem, though it's died down come DLC.

Sorry if I'm sounding pushy, but I feel like we're getting bloated on Nintendo content. Some small content from Zelda, Kirby, or Pokemon is okay, but Captain Falcon and Marshall? They're not important.
We need some small Nintendo representation, Y'know?
Mario is meant to represent his Series and possibly whole Nintendo!

But on the Other hand, you're right.
In general I feel Nintendo bloat is a problem in creation threads. The Another Universe thread has this very same problem, though it's died down come DLC.
Yeah, Nintendo is actually King of Gaming, so what we will do with that?

Yiptap

Smash Lord
It depends. The Nintendo profiles here are a mess, but the Nintendo fighters in Another Universe are at least somewhat justifiable.

AlRex

Smash Lord
Cutting down may happen later, I tried mostly to have a rep for most of the major Nintendo consoles, or ones that have some connection to Mario or a Mario-related series in some way (IIRC, Rhythm Heaven and WarioWare sometimes seem to share a universe, so that's how we get a Marshall cameo). Unless another character from Nintendo ends up added, I'm not going to extend it much more, and if I do, it'll mostly just be related to that character's universe.

Yiptap

Smash Lord
Cutting down may happen later, I tried mostly to have a rep for most of the major Nintendo consoles, or ones that have some connection to Mario or a Mario-related series in some way (IIRC, Rhythm Heaven and WarioWare sometimes seem to share a universe, so that's how we get a Marshall cameo). Unless another character from Nintendo ends up added, I'm not going to extend it much more, and if I do, it'll mostly just be related to that character's universe.
Oh yeah, I forgot about Rhythm Heaven in Mario! Yeah, this seems fair.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
It's been a good while, so I'll start the voting now.
Multiplayer Modes
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds King of the Hill
AlRex AlRex PCC Jam
Dan Quixote Dan Quixote Gambling
Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Ring Mode
Pokelego999 Pokelego999 Boss Butch
Yiptap Yiptap Enemy Frenzy
Baysha Baysha Horde Arena

Animal Characters
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds Sonic the Hedgehog
@Darkonedagger Bugs Bunny (Looney Tunes)
AlRex AlRex The Cat in the Hat
Dan Quixote Dan Quixote Laika
Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wallace & Gromit
@CheeseAnton Gorilla (Gorilla Tag; VR Game)
Baysha Baysha The Scratch Cat
Pokelego999 Pokelego999 Pikachu (Pokemon)
Yiptap Yiptap Peppa Pig
Oddball Oddball Snoopy (Peanuts)
evanwoo10 evanwoo10 Simba (The Lion King)
cashregister9 cashregister9 Scooby-Doo

My personal votes
1. Horde Arena
2. PCC Jam
3. Enemy Frenzy

1. Bugs Bunny
2. Sonic the Hedgehog
3. Scooby-Doo

I give the slight nod to Scooby over my personal runner-ups Pikachu, Wallace & Gromit, and Snoopy, mostly because I heavily associate Scooby-Doo with odd crossovers, not that those other characters haven't had some.
Enemy Frenzy
Horde Arena
Ring Mode

Scooby Doo
Wallace and Gromit
Sonic the Hedgehog

AlRex

Smash Lord
Horde Arena: 16
PCC Jam: 9
Enemy Frenzy: 20
Ring Mode: 7
Boss Butch: 6
King of the Hill: 7
Gambling: 1

Bugs Bunny: 11
Sonic the Hedgehog: 18
Scooby-Doo: 8
Wallace & Gromit: 11
Snoopy: 7
Pikachu: 7
Peppa Pig: 5
Simba: 1
Laika: 2
Scratch Cat: 1
The Cat in the Hat: 1
Gorilla: 0

Enemy Frenzy will be the added Multiplayer Mode, and Sonic the Hedgehog will be the added character from this voting round! Congrats to Yiptap Yiptap and Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds !

Our next jobs...
Job #26: Submit a mini-game.
This is something like Home-Run Contest, Race to the Finish, Break the Targets, etc. Or even something new. These can be sprinkled into the Classic Mode or they can even be played on their own.

Job #27: Submit a boss for an already represented series.
Not the final boss, but a boss that could potentially be encountered in multiple modes. As you can see, we're mostly going for ones from series that are already in. So Superman/DC, Mickey Mouse/Disney, Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon, Mario, the Muppets (and associated Henson works), Star Wars, Dracula (not sure who it'd be besides him unless you dip into Castlevania more), and Christmas. Or, if you want to get technical, Men in Black, Angry Birds, Pokémon, or Yellow Submarine would count, though all the more minorly referenced ones might be a bit of a stretch.

I'll have ones up shortly, and we may also be able to submit enemies whenever, but I'd say focus on these jobs for the moment.

D

Deleted member

Darksied

One of the most iconic and powerful DC villains. A being from the planet Apokolips whose ultimate goal is to unlock a powerful force known as the Anti-Life Equation, which he can use to inslave the multiverse. His boss fight consists of powerful punches and kicks, his omega beams, and summoning Parademons.

AlRex

Smash Lord
street-fighter-2-car.jpg

Mini-Game: Beat Up a Car
This is a version of the mini-game from Street Fighter II. You beat up a car within a time limit and see if you can completely wreck it. Occasionally, instead of the normal car, you might get a rundown-looking version of a famous fictional car (the Batmobile, the Mach Five, KITT, etc.) or the car from Final Fight.

Boss: Missingno. (Pokémon)
MissingNo..png

Missingno is an infamous glitch from the early Pokémon games. Here, it will do versions of the attacks it had in the games, like Water Gun twice, Pay Day (rapidly shooting out coins), Sky Attack (where it glows white and flies upward to hit into foes), and Bind (where it shoots out rings that wrap around you and holds you in place for a bit), but it will also spread glitchy bits across the screen that can either damage foes, make it difficult for you to see certain things, or both, and also causes "errors" within the game, like duplicating items, or temporarily reversing a player's controls.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I was gonna submit Calvinball and even had a pretty hefty writeup for it, but I realised this is supposed to be a single player game, heh.

Coyote Chase

I was gonna make this Tom & Jerry themed, but I feel that'd be a real bad disconfirm, especially so soon. This bonus round is a derivative of Race to the Finish where you run around the canyon. Wile E. Coyote is snooping around in the background, interacting with the foreground indirectly in different ways (for example, painting a tunnel you can run through or blowing up a Rushmore-esque monument that will block the path) - when the stage loops around in the non-timed version outside of Arcade Mode, those changes are permanent and there can even be further changes.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Job #27: Submit a boss for an already represented series.
Not the final boss, but a boss that could potentially be encountered in multiple modes. As you can see, we're mostly going for ones from series that are already in. So Superman/DC, Mickey Mouse/Disney, Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon, Mario, the Muppets (and associated Henson works), Star Wars, Dracula (not sure who it'd be besides him unless you dip into Castlevania more), and Christmas. Or, if you want to get technical, Men in Black, Angry Birds, Pokémon, or Yellow Submarine would count, though all the more minorly referenced ones might be a bit of a stretch.

I'll have ones up shortly, and we may also be able to submit enemies whenever, but I'd say focus on these jobs for the moment.
Bowser
1641264410500.png

Bowser is Mario's long standing iconic enemy from the Mario series. It'd be amiss to not include him in any capacity. Bowser's fight would take place in one of his iconic castles, similar to the one from New Super Mario Bros U, taking place specifically on his drawbridge, with the axe at the back and lava underneath, though the axe is aesthetic. Bowser's attacks include leaping at the player, breathing fireballs that shoot at the player, throwing hammers in a similar vein to Super Mario Bros (1985), shielding with his shell to make himself impervious briefly (Bowser's Inside Story), unleashing a massive wave of fire that covers more range than the fireballs, spinning in his shell across the ground, jumping into a Koopa Clown Car and throwing Mechakoopas and Bob-ombs at the player from the background before leaping back (Super Mario World), and jumping up and groundpounding like in Super Mario Bros 3.
Our next jobs...
Job #26: Submit a mini-game.
This is something like Home-Run Contest, Race to the Finish, Break the Targets, etc. Or even something new. These can be sprinkled into the Classic Mode or they can even be played on their own.
Tetris and Puyo Puyo
1641264942057.png

Iconic puzzle games well known around the world, Tetris and Puyo Puyo have had crossovers in the past. In this game, they'd act as minigame segments. The two games would play exactly the same as normal, except you're against a CPU opponent, typically another character from another franchise. Similarly to Puyo Puyo Tetris, enemies can send disruptions after getting good matches, and you can do the same. Tetris acts as an easier mode whilst Puyo Puyo acts as a harder mode, if encountered outside of the area where they can be played on their own (Tetris would be on lower difficulty modes whilst Puyo Puyo would be on higher difficulty modes)

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Tetris and Puyo Puyo
View attachment 341861

Iconic puzzle games well known around the world, Tetris and Puyo Puyo have had crossovers in the past. In this game, they'd act as minigame segments. The two games would play exactly the same as normal, except you're against a CPU opponent, typically another character from another franchise. Similarly to Puyo Puyo Tetris, enemies can send disruptions after getting good matches, and you can do the same. Tetris acts as an easier mode whilst Puyo Puyo acts as a harder mode, if encountered outside of the area where they can be played on their own (Tetris would be on lower difficulty modes whilst Puyo Puyo would be on higher difficulty modes)
I don't really get the point of this if it doesn't utilise the platform fighter mechanics.

MiniGame submission:
Duck Hunt (Duck Hunt)

In this minigame, you equip a Mode-exclusive item called NES Zapper and you need to shoot the ducks that come from tall grass (Assume that there is a lake).
You start with 3 Ammo at beginning and if you shoot the duck, you get additional bullet. If you miss, then Dog would laugh at you (Unless you shoot the dog and you get full Ammo Bar). If you miss every bullet while shooting at anything except ducks or dog, there is game over.

Boss Submission:
Dr. Eggman (Sonic)

Dr. Ivo Robotnik, AKA Eggman is main villain of Sonic series and he is evil scientist with 300 IQ and he wants to Take over the World with his machinery and plans. Eggman is also Iconic Video Game baddie, who is on the second place after Bowser, which they could make sense, since their series are highly popular.
Eggman almost appeared in all Sonic games as villain, but in Mario and Sonic games he wasn't that evil when he participated in Olympics.

Eggman in Pop Culture Clash serves as a boss character and he drives his Death Egg Robot, which it takes place at Eggmanland (I orignally thought that it would be Death Egg, but I assumed that Death Star could exist and Didn't wanted to make an Expy location, so I instead picked Eggmanland Instead) and the arena is a long Platform.
The song in battle is Remix of Final Boss theme from Sonic 2.

List of Eggman's attacks:
  • Robo Punch - Eggman does a Boomerang punch that his arm comes back after hitting.
  • Robo Stomp - Eggman does a stomp that does a shockwave damage.
  • Robo Beam - Death Egg Robot opens it's mouth and shoots a laser from Mouth.
  • Robo Jump - Robot jumps high and ground pounds with deadly damage.
  • Bomb Spawn - Eggman spawns bombs in random place and they explode. You can pick them up and throw at Eggman sometimes to quickly defeat him.

In 2nd Phase, Eggman's Robot grows Dragoon's wings while changing it's body (It's a mixture of Death Egg robot and Egg Dragoon) and Big Arm's arms and he goes into Background.
There is also cutscene that Eggman smashes down straight into Earth's Core to fight him in Deep underground.
List of 2nd Phase Eggman's attacks:
  • Arm Smash - Eggman smashes his arm into ground.
  • Machine Gun - He shoots bullets from it.
  • Swoop - He swoops down to attack player with both fists.
  • Drill shooter - He shoots drills multiple times by moving at random side.
  • Ball swing - Eggman swings his Wrecker ball in horizontal way.
  • Stalactite drop - Eggman hits a rock wall and drops stalactites to stage that explode upon crushing.

After you defeat him, he will fly away with his Mobile and if you hit him, he would crash to ground, exploding and dying.

Some Sonic and Sega profiles:
Sonic.
1. Zooey the Fox
2. Sticks the Badger
3. Zavok and The Deadly Six
4. Scratch and Grounder

SEGA:
1. AGES the VMU (Sonic and Allstars Racing transformed)
2. Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo)
3. Bonanza Bros.
4. Lagi the Dragon (Panzer Dragoon)

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Job #26: Mob Clash

1641329903896.png

Remember the early days of Smash when the Multi-Man Smash mode was fighting against a horde of faceless figures who have the same moveset as real fighters in the game? This is something similar, where instead of the Miis of modern Smash games, our version of a horde battle will involve many different types of enemies. The enemies will, of course, be pulled from lots of pieces of pop culture! Some of the most famous mooks, lackeys, minions, goons, and henchmen in media will appear to fight the player in giant waves. This includes Koopa Troopas, Stormtroopers, Death Eaters, flying monkeys, Slimes, kobolds, zombies, Moblins, and merlocs.

Job #27: Ursula

1641329991263.png

I like the water mechanics in Smash for some reason, so let's include some of those! This will be the giant incarnation of Ursula from the very end of The Little Mermaid. The player will be in the water, among all the flotsam and debris from the previously-sunken ships around her whirlpool. They'll have to hop from plank to plank as they float off into the blast zone, landing hits on Ursula whenever she leans in for an attack.

AlRex

Smash Lord
Alright, I suppose we can just start up the voting now.
Mini-Games
AlRex AlRex Beat Up A Car
Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Coyote Chase
Pokelego999 Pokelego999 Tetris and Puyo Puyo
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds Duck Hunt
Dan Quixote Dan Quixote Mob Clash

Bosses
@Darkonedagger Darkseid (New Gods/DC)
AlRex AlRex Missingno (Pokémon)
Pokelego999 Pokelego999 Bowser (Mario)
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds Eggman (Sonic)
Dan Quixote Dan Quixote Ursula (The Little Mermaid)

I think one of the mini-games will be chosen for now, while two of the bosses will get in. That said...
My votes
1. Coyote Chase
2. Beat Up A Car
3. Duck Hunt

1. Bowser
2. Eggman
3. Ursula

1. Beat up a Car
2. Duck Hunt
3. Coyote Chase

1. Bowser
2. Eggman
3. Darkseid

Some Nintendo profiles submissions:
1. Chibi-Robo
2. Ice Climbers
3. Captain N
4. Lip (Panel De Pon)
5. Takamaru (Murasame Castle)
6. Wii Console

Along with SEGA ones:
1. Blue Dragon (Panzer Dragoon)
2. Sega Mega Drive/Genesis
3. F-14 Tomcat (Afterburner)

And Sonic:
1. Honey The Cat
2. Tails Doll

AlRex

Smash Lord
Added some Enemies for each series that has a playable character so far. We got Enemy Frenzy, and possibly another mode that uses them from this round, so we can accept some enemy submissions, from time to time.

Top Bottom