• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Pop Culture Clash

Should Godzilla and King Kong be swapped for MechaGodzilla and MechaniKong as bosses?

• Yes

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Only Godzilla/MechaGodzilla

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Only King Kong/MechaniKong

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AlRex

Smash Lord
When will be job about Stages?
It will be after doing Mario, Mickey, Goku, Superman, Darth Vader, Kermit, Book rep and Misc rep?
Sooner than you think.

Just going to give the single-player mode vote a little bit more before moving onto the next job.

AlRex

Smash Lord
Vote doesn’t seem to be changing, so Ladder Mode wins! I do want to do something regarding Enemies later, even just the series we have right now have some pretty iconic minions running around (not those ones…yet…).

Job #8: Submit a Superman/DC Comics stage and/or a Dragon Ball stage.
Submit stages themed after these. Any location specifically from Superman media, spin-offs like the Legion of Superheroes or the New Gods, or a broader DC-themed stage, say, from the Justice League, Superfriends, Crisis, etc. are all fair game for this, but something like the Batcave, or something from Watchmen, V for Vendetta, etc. probably aren’t at the moment. As for Dragon Ball, anything from the original series, Dragon Ball Z/Super/GT/Xenoverse, or any other specifically Dragon Ball-related media is fine. Spin-offs/same universe manga series like Dr. Slump, Neko Majin Z, Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, etc. could also be allowed, but not just any Akira Toriyama work or Shonen Jump series, so no Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest, Naruto, Death Note, etc. this round.

AlRex

Smash Lord
Added some Star Wars music, including my requisite goofy choices. Here also are my ideas for stages this round.

Inside_Hall_(01x07_-_Too_Hot_to_Handle).jpg

The Hall of Justice (The Super Friends)
From this 70's cartoon that may have introduced many to the DC heroes, we have the inside of the Hall of Justice, with a slightly altered layout. It's a walk-off stage with a table in the middle that you could fight on top of, as well as a computer in the back with a big screen that will show off images of various DC heroes in the background fighting villains, stopping disasters, etc. Maybe the Wonder Twins & Gleek or Marvin, Wendy, and Wonder Dog will also be hanging out in the building, since it's not like they'll be on the main roster, most likely. If this stage is added, I might also start adding DC music that's associated with not Batman or Wonder Woman...then again, who knows?

Hyperbrolicprev.png

The Hyperbolic Time Chamber (Dragon Ball Z)
A lot of my Dragon Ball content seems to take some ideas from Super Smash Bros. Crusade, and this doesn't change here. Another walk-off, this one pretty much being a flat surface.

D

Deleted member

Fortress of Solitude
Superman's base. Takes place inside the Fortress in front of the statue seen above. There are a number of crystal platforms. A projection of Jor-El appears in the background.

Planet Namek
One of the main settings of Dragon Ball Z. Works pretty similar to the version seen in Super Smash Flash 2. Various characters from the series will fly past.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlRex

Smash Lord
I think my limit with profiles and songs per series will be 50 each. Just for the sake of not overtaxing the post and giving different series more representation overall. Your mileage may vary on that. Should I put it up to a vote?

Job 8:
Gizard Wasteland (Dragon Ball Z/Goku)

Gizard Wasteland is one of Iconic Locations from Dragon Ball franchise. The Gizard Wastleand is Canyon Wasteland, where Goku fought with Vegeta on this place.

So, the layout would Similar to Gerudo Valley, but it's more flat and has little bit more platforms. The Cameos are Vegeta, Piccolo, Arale, Son Goku and Frieza.

Metropolis (Superman)

Metropolis is American city located in SSupeman universe. It's very iconic and fictional city, where Superman defends people from threats.

The Layout is like Fourside, but it has buildings from Metropolis. The City has design based on Modern Superman media.

AlRex

Smash Lord
Alright, here’s the vote for Superman and Dragon Ball stages now.

Superman stages
AlRex AlRex The Hall of Justice
@Darkonedagger The Fortress of Solitude
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds Metropolis

Dragon Ball stages
AlRex AlRex Hyperbolic Time Chamber
@Darkonedagger Planet Namek
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds Gizard Wasteland

Remember to only put your own submissions in second or third.

My votes
1. Fortress of Solitude
2. Hall of Justice
3. Metropolis

1. Planet Namek
2. Gizard Wasteland
3. Hyperbolic Time Chamber

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My votes
1. Hall of Justice
2. Fortress of Solitude
3. Metropolis

1. Hyperbolic Time Chamber
2. Planet Namek
3. Gizard Wasteland

AlRex

Smash Lord
Fortress of Solitude: 11
Hall of Justice: 8
Metropolis: 5

Planet Namek: 11
Gizard Wasteland: 8
Hyperbolic Time Chamber: 5

Seems about right, @Darkonedagger's Fortress of Solitude and Planet Namek will be chosen!

Job #9: Discuss a Mickey Mouse moveset and/or a Mario moveset.
Anything Mickey and Mario have done are fair game, but try to mostly go for an overall representation of them that fits. A Mickey moveset mostly themed after Runaway Brain or a Doctor-Mario-focused rework could be fun, but aren’t necessarily what we’re looking for. But beyond that, a lot is fine. A Mickey that uses various types of Sorcerer, Kingdom Hearts, and paintbrush magic? A Mickey who switches animation styles for various moves? A Mario that uses more power-ups? A Mario who uses plumbing tools more often, or even sneaks in some Bob Hoskins movie references? Or something slightly more straightforward? It’s your choice, really.

Some alternate Mario moveset ideas besides the ones in Smash:

As well as a Mickey moveset, mostly based on a lot of his video game appearances:
Another Mickey moveset for possible material: https://www.deviantart.com/evilwaluigi/art/Newcomer-Mickey-Mouse-672293829

More extended thoughts on Mario and Mickey moveset stuff.
I think Mario should keep the Fireballs, but many other things should be redone or rearranged. I like the BrawlFan1 idea of all four Specials representing different Mario games, as well as a Stomp move of some kind, since I feel this would represent Mario the best, though your opinion may vary on how these should go. FLUDD is one I just have never liked. It just doesn’t flow well with the rest of his moveset for me. Maybe this can be where some type of stomp/Ground Pound move could go, instead. Your mileage may vary.

The Mario from the “Smash Bros of Another Universe” has his “So long-a, Bowser!” toss as a dedicated Neutral Special, Spin Jump as an Up-B, Fireballs as a Side-B, and Ground Pound as Down-B. I like that the toss is here, but I never saw it as THE Mario thing, although it is a prominent Mario thing. The Final Smash here involves the Invincibility Star, which I do like a bit.

This can bring us to Supers, and a potential gimmick, as well. Perhaps, as a way to represent multiple Mario games, his Shield-Special could be punching a question block to switch to another power-up? Maybe that’s too complicated, but his Supers should definitely utilize his power-ups, or at least a few of them. The Invincibility Star seems natural, the Mega Mushroom turning him into a giant sprite Mario that can run through the stage wreaking havoc sounds cool to me, and, like the ShinRyoga MUGEN Mario, the hammer being used as a Super rather than an item could also be interesting. Of course, there are many other things in Mario’s arsenal we could use. FLUDD in a different way, Cappy, the Tanooki suit, Hammer Bros. suit…Boulder Mario? Boo Mario? Bee Mario? Maybe not everything, but still a lot to consider.

One thing I’d like to see, though I don’t know if anyone else would, is use of plumbing tools in his normal moves. A grab or throw that involves a plunger, or a few hits with a wrench or plumbing snake, maybe. I only really consider this because it’s somewhat common in the Mario cartoons and the live-action movie, and if we’re allowed to dip into other material for Mario pop culturally, and Mario is known as a plumber. Maybe this idea is a bit too far-fetched. If Mario were to be more of a weapon-user, the smartest choice would probably be the hammer, though keeping him as mostly hand-to-hand is also fair.
—————————————————————
Mickey Mouse is a character who may be even more complicated to decide on moves for. Mickey has been so many things over the years. A mischievous trickster, a swell guy straight man to the more out-there Donald and Goofy, a surprisingly skilled adventurer in comics and games, a Keyblade master, a wielded of magic paint brushes and paint thinner that can effectively alter or even erase other beings, a Sorcerer's Apprentice, a Prince & a Pauper, a kid’s show host, some guy waving at you at his theme park… It's difficult to synthesize it all together.

The artist I linked to created a version of Mickey that manages to pull from all of his video game appearances, and it’s a good start, given that many of them do also call back to his media appearances. But I’m not 100% sure if, for instance, a basket full of eggs is what we all think of for Mickey. It’s all pretty solid, though, and again, it does encapsulate some pretty prominent Mickey Mouse material.

Shield-Special…what works as something technical, defensive, or otherwise odd for Mickey? A particular type of magic? Perhaps he can switch from Paint to Thinner, or swap between Paint Brush, Keyblade, and Sorcerer’s Apprentice Magic with this? Maybe you have a different idea.

Supers…he definitely has to don his Sorcerer’s Apprentice outfit and cause a great big flood. Perhaps there’s something to be done with Kingdom Hearts as well. Crashing the Steamboat Willie boat into foes? Getting something from Toodles? Becoming feral, like in Runaway Brain? A giant Electrical Parade or Hot Dog Dance featuring many of his other friends?

Again, this is all just a bunch of spitballing rather than something coherent yet.

Last edited:

Yiptap

Smash Lord
I think the Wonderful World of Mickey Mouse Shorts should be represented in someway in Mickey's moveset. Maybe a super could be a cinematic where all the different Mickey's attack the opponent?

AlRex

Smash Lord
Mario and Mickey Mouse movesets so far. Will edit after further feedback, adding moves, or if people think things should be a bit different.
Mario
Neutral Special: Fireballs

To quote from Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario , “virtually the same, however Mario can now run while spawning fire balls and there's less cooldown at the expense of power.”

Up Special: Spin Jump
Quoting again from Wario Wario Wario: "An attacking recovery move than can reflect projectiles. The height of this move is one of Mario's biggest weaknesses, but it's still relatively reliable (or in simple terms, better than SSBU Doc's up B)"

Side Special: Cape
Mario swats this out, which reverses the direction of nearby foes. Decided to switch back to this from Smash and keep the "so long-a, Bowser!" reference to his throws. Unless people want it back. D'oh.

Down Special: Ground Pound
WWW: "Comparable to Yoshi's from our world."

Shield Special: Question Box
This move allows Mario to use a few power-ups that will alter his general moves and properties for a period of time, which come in a general rotation, which he can either hit this again to switch to another one, or taunt or get damaged heavily/KO'd to be rid of. The Leaf from Super Mario Bros. 3 will allow Mario to have greater maneuverability in the air, slower descents, and add extra hits to his combos with tail attacks. The Metal Cap from Super Mario 64 makes Mario generally more durable and harder hitting, but heavier and slower. The Ice Flower, which first debuted in Mario & Luigi and later reappeared in Super Mario Galaxy and became a staple in the New Super Mario Bros. series, changes Mario's fiery attacks to cryokinetic ones, swapping fireballs for Ice Balls. These Ice Balls stun slightly more, and have higher chances of freezing foes at higher damage percentages.

Level 1 Super: Super Hammer
From the MUGEN Mario, we have Mario hitting with a hammer in close-range. If it connects with a foe, Mario will repeatedly bash the foe with the hammer as the classic Donkey Kong music plays, before eventually finishing off by spiking them upward.

Level 2 Super: Mega Mario
Mario gets a big 8-bit mushroom and turns into a giant SMB1 sprite Mario, running around the stage and automatically destroying destructible terrain, pushing items and foes away, and hitting foes with further damage and knockback when he attacks. The only downside of this is that it's hard to control or maneuver in very enclosed spaces.

Level 3 Super: Super Star Rush
From Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario again: Mario turns invincible and dashes forwards. If the move connects, Mario will go into a cutscene where he runs across a 3D landscape made of 2D sprites from Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World, knocking out enemies on the way. The foes caught in the move are knocked back so fast the non-controllable Mario has to chase them to give them a big kick.
------------------------
Mickey Mouse
Neutral Special: Paint Glob/Pearl

Either a glob of paint that will heavily coat, slow down, and slightly poison a foe over time, or a magical attack that hits the ground before spiking upwards as a pillar of light, which can be charged to send out up to three pillars of light to spike upward along the ground.

Up Special: Cherry Spin
Adapted from both deviantArt movesets linked. To quote from evilwaluigi's version: "Mickey reaches into his pocket and suddenly produces a very large cherry- in one quick motion Mickey spins the cherry then using his entire body latches onto the giant fruit as the leaves on it spin like helicopter rotors lifting Mickey into the sky- these leaves can deal racking DMG if a foe is struck by them. after a distance, Mickey will automatically let go of the cherry rendering him into a helpless state until he touches a platform. Like Snake's Cypher special, the giant Cherry will continue upwards until it has removed itself from the stage- allowing it to deal DMG to enemies even after Mickey has let go of it."

Side Special: My Pal Pluto
"Hiya, pal!" From evilwaluigi:
"Mickey exclaims as his beloved pal Pluto leaps forward if Pluto comes into contact with a foe, Pluto will tackle them pinning them to the ground Pluto playfully licks them- of course because this is smash brothers these licks of affection and playfulness will deal DMG to the foe as will Pluto's initial tackle. players can button mash to shake Pluto off of them, when this is achieved Pluto will climb off the foe and sit for a moment looking pretty pleased before vanishing. if use din the air and Pluto makes contact with a foe Pluto can drag foes down as in a sort of meteor effect."

Down Special: TV Sketch
From evilwaluigi: "Mickey will toss a piece of paper upwards, as it floats down a large old-timey TV will pop out from the paper- once this happens the TV will slam down to the platform below dealing DMG to anyone it strikes on the way down- once its landed, the screen will flicker to life displaying a clip of Steamboat Willie- on the screen the black and white cartoon displays a classic scene of Mickey at the helm of the steamboat he whistles as he steers, once his whistling is done the TV screen goes out and the TV electrifies and then suddenly explodes! any foe that is in a nearby radius of the TV when it lands will become entranced by the TV and get close, laying on their belly the foe places their head in their hands as they watch the enchanting classic cartoon- drawing the foe in so when the TV inevitably malfunctions they are at close range. Mickey can only use one TV Sketch at a time."

Shield Special: Paintbrush/Keyblade
Switches between two of Mickey's most known video game weapons. The Paintbrush has properties that act similarly to certain ink attacks that the Inkling uses in Smash, covering and coating foes, slightly slowing them down and poisoning them over time. The Keyblade will have general magical properties and effects on regular attacks, and generally acts faster for combos.

Level 1 Super: Runaway Brain
Mickey becomes monstrous and more feral in his attacks, becoming stronger and quicker in combos, but also a bit slipperier to control, so be careful.

Level 2 Super: Fantasia
Mickey dons the Sorcerer's Apprentice outfit and summons forth a great big flood that sweeps forward through the stage, sending opponents away. Somewhat adapted from mattdog1000000's version of his Final Smash.

Level 3 Super: Wonderful World of Mickey Mouse
From Yiptap Yiptap , a cutscene Super where various incarnations of Mickey Mouse, ranging from the early black & white version 1920’s version, the first color one in the 30’s, the 50’s one, Musketeer, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Disney World Mickey, Runaway Brain Mickey, King Mickey, the modern shorts Mickey, etc. all come together to perform various attacks before Mickey finishes them off by launching them into the air with a firework that then explodes.

Already mentioned move ideas...this is old now...
Mario
Up Special: Super Jump Punch
(SSB - SSBU)
Spin Jump (Wario Wario Wario)
Wing Cap (BrawlFan1)

Forward Special: Cape (SSBM - SSBU)
Super Star Swing (Wario Wario Wario)

Down Special: Mario Tornado (SSB64 - SSBM)
FLUDD (SSBB - SSBU) [just out of fairness]
Ground Pound (Wario Wario Wario)

Other Super Ideas
Mega Mario
(AlRex)
Cappy T-Rex (BrawlFan1)
---------------------------
Mickey Mouse
Neutral Special: Magic Paintbrush
(mattdog1000000)

Up Special: Propeller Plant (mattdog1000000)

Forward Special: Keyblade (mattdog1000000)

Down Special: Firefighter Hose (mattdog1000000)

Shield Special: Dunno yet...oops

Other Super Ideas
Sorcerer's Apprentice
(mattdog1000000)
Runaway Brain (AlRex)

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
Going to expand on Mickey and two of his most known video game weapons for his Neutral and Shield Specials.

Neutral Special for Mickey changes based on the Shield Special, along with the weapon he uses for a lot of his attacks. The Paintbrush will sends out globs of paint that act similarly to certain ink attacks that the Inkling uses in Smash, covering and coating foes, slightly slowing them down and poisoning them over time. These properties apply to a mild extent on his regular attacks where he simply hits with the paintbrush as well. The Keyblade will have general magical properties/effects on regular attacks, acts faster for combos, and, for its Neutral Special, will send out Pearl, a magical attack that hits the ground before spiking upwards as a pillar of light, which can be charged to send out up to three pillars of light to spike upward along the ground. This still makes me want to figure out what his Up, Forward, and Down Specials are, though.

For Mario, I may go with a modified version of the rest of Wario Wario Wario's Specials, along with the Question Box Shield-Special and Mega Mario being his other Super. This would pretty much fill Mario out, unless anyone has any objections to this.

Last edited:
Super level 2: Mario Finale

Mario does the same Final Smash one. Only difference is that Mario also launches Middle Fireball to make it more stronger.

And some Song Submittions:
Super Man:
  • Vinai - Superman (Obscure song, but it's popular in Europe)
  • Superman 64 theme (Time to make a tribute for worst Superman game of history)

Red Plumber named Mario:
  • Rainbow Road Medley (All MK games)
  • Wrecking Crew Medley (SSB4)

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
Alright, two things for now involving the movesets. One is a poll involving the last of Mario's Supers: https://strawpoll.com/2ov69geep
The second is that I'm still accepting Mickey Mouse ideas/submissions, but it will be going on in the background at the same time as our next job...

Job #10: Submit a character with literary origins.
Any books, full-fledged novels, pulp fiction (not the movie), stories from magazines, children’s picture books, anything that primarily has origins in the written word are allowed here. Some characters with this origin may even be more known for adaptations in other media, but don’t let that fool you. They’re allowed here, even though they weren’t in some previous jobs. So, James Bond, Jurassic Park, Sherlock Holmes certainly. Rambo, Die Hard, Shrek, and Boss Baby are ones that may surprise you in being eligible. You can look into some you may have had in mind for movies or TV and see if they’re eligible here.

Job 10:
Gandalf (Lord of Rings)

Gandalf is one of Iconic characters from Lord of Rings Series. He is a wizard, who helps from baggins to complete his journey. Like I said earlier, he is very iconic book Character and he could be Warner Bros. Rep, who was made by J. J. R. Tolkien.

Gandalf could have interesting moveset potential, including magic (Since he could be Robin of Pop Culture Clash) or even Frodo's help for his attacks like Strongs.
His one of Supers (Notably Level 3 Super), he could use Smaug to Burn opponents down to Ashpiles.

His Stage could be Middle Earth, which is a Main setting of Lord of Rings/Hobbit universe.

I nominate Gandalf, because he is most popular Book character ever adapted to Films. He is even very iconic character and possibly grandfather to stock wizards. He could be Robin like I said earlier and he could bring LoR fans to the game.

D

Deleted member

Dracula

The Lord of the Vampires. Dracula is one of the most famous characters in all of fiction. He could have a moveset that pulls from all of the various versions from over the many years. Perhaps he could even have profiles and content for other famous literary monsters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yiptap

Smash Lord
Greg Heffley
CD9E4532-6715-4861-A5E2-A7BC4A6943B9.jpeg

The flawed protagonist of Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Greg Heffley cheeses the competition. Greg Heffley could fight using various gags from the books, such as throwing eggs, using Rowley, and of course, the iconic Cheese Touch. Diary of a Wimpy Kid is one of the best selling children’s books of all time, with five movie adaptations, one of them coming out the day I posted this. Overall, Greg Heffley is very iconic and deserving of a spot.

Also, Rodrick as an AT would be awesome.

Last edited:

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
Job #10: Martin Brody (Jaws)
FED593FB-06D3-4E85-A8C0-940257E091CD.jpeg

Jaws is such an iconic and popular property. Jaws was once the highest grossing film of all time, until it was beaten by Star Wars in 1977. Jaws became the first summer blockbuster. Jaws was even the first film to earn $100 million at the book office.

Brody may be the regular everyman, but he could still have a good moveset. Brody could mainly involve his moveset around weapons and traps. Brody could set up explosive barrels around the stage that would explode when hit. Brody could even summon Hooper and Quint to help out with certain attacks, maybe even the Shark could play a part.

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
4779E757-6A05-4DB0-866F-700841F631A4.jpeg

The Headless Horseman
The deathly decapitant of
folklore’s past, the Headless Horseman is a weary if not malovolent soul who lost his head years ago and is searching to recover his bearings. At least, that’s the gist of it. The American legend dictates the Horseman was a Hessian soldier in 1776 whose head was blown off with a cannonball and haunts the church he was buried in. Most famously, the Horseman made his appearance in Sleepy Hollow, bringing Ichabod to his demise even after escape.
The Headless Horseman would naturally be on horseback throughout his battles, alongside lobbing his pumpkinhead at aggressors and employing their phantom abilities to get around. A classic literary character that warrants a spot on the roster!

Job #10: Martin Brody (Jaws)
View attachment 339454
Jaws is such an iconic and popular property. Jaws was once the highest grossing film of all time, until it was beaten by Star Wars in 1977. Jaws became the first summer blockbuster. Jaws was even the first film to earn $100 million at the book office.

Brody may be the regular everyman, but he could still have a good moveset. Brody could mainly involve his moveset around weapons and traps. Brody could set up explosive barrels around the stage that would explode when hit. Brody could even summon Hooper and Quint to help out with certain attacks, maybe even the Shark could play a part.
Or shark can Play part as Stage Hazard or Assist Trophy.

Anyway, some Mario songs for good mood:
  • Chill remix (SSB4)
  • Metro Kingdom (Super Mario Odyssey)
  • Yoshi Island Medley
  • Atheletic Theme (SMB 3)
  • Bower Boss Fight Theme remix (SMB3) (SSBU)

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
A lot of good entries so far, I’ll put in an entry again.

Miss Frizzle (The Magic School Bus)

Her show is possibly more known, but the Magic School Bus was originally a series of books, which the cartoon mostly adapts its stories and subjects from. She has a bus that can basically do anything, ranging from time and space travel, turning into animals, other vehicles, light, or even a planet, changing the size of itself and others, or even turning them into other animals, plants, water, or light, can shoot out freeze breath, can speed up and slow time, duplicate itself and others…you probably get it at this point, the bus is very versatile and weirdly powerful. It doesn’t even have to be too big because it can shrink down. Miss Frizzle herself has a pretty entertaining attitude, always adventurous and eager to teach others, sometimes even literally laughing in the face of danger. Some might call her deranged, or more nicely, eccentric. Children’s books and educational content aren’t really represented yet, and she’d be our first female character, for all those things are worth, as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom