• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Pop Culture Clash [Rebooted Thread]

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Tintin (The Adventures of Tintin, Belgium)

Tintin and his comics series are extremely well known and iconic and were made by Belgian comic strip artist Herge. Whilst I can't brainstorm exact ideas right now, he's got a whole breadth of comics to potentially pull from for moveset material. He's definitely very fitting for this job.

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
Aladdin (The Arabian Nights, Middle East)
He should be in here because it represents Disney animated movies better than Mickey.
His basic moves would mostly have a sword. Specials could have the genie place effects on him.

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
It's time for this roster to have a MAN.
A Manly Man.
A Man ... in tights.

Robin Hood
View attachment 359133

Robin Hood is ... oh, you know who Robin Hood is.

Robin Hood isn't just a legendary heroic outlaw he is THE Legendary Heroic Outlaw. Robin of Sherwood was originally depicted in English folklore and subsequently featured in literature and film. According to legend, he was a highly skilled archer, swordsman, leader of men, master of disguise, and quite charming with the ladies. He fought against tyrany. He robbed from the rich and gave to the poor. According to Disney cartoons, he might have actually been a fox.
Robin Hood originated in the UK so he is not viable for this newcomer submission round, sorry. :(

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Job 75:Captain Nascimento (Elite Squad) (Brazil)

Cap_nascimento.jpg

Captain Nascimento is the protagonist from a brazilian movie duology called Elite Squad (in portuguese is Tropa de Elite),he is the captain from BOPE (Batalhão de Operações Policiais Especiais,in english means Special Police Operations Battalion)who is awaiting a promotion that will make his job safer and enable him to spend time with his wife and his newborn son.

Another thing i forgot,Elite Squad is based on the book called Elite da Tropa (in english means Troop Elite),the two movies are cultural phenomenon in Brazil,the first movie won the golden bear on Berlin Film Festival and the second movie was selected for The Best Foreign Language Film on 84th Academy Awards. Elite Squad is not very iconic worldwide,but it is very known to being the best brazilian movie.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Robin Hood originated in the UK so he is not viable for this newcomer submission round, sorry. :(
Didn't see the UK part there. My bad.

Alright. How about ...

Anubis.jpg

ANUBIS the Jackal headed Egyptian God of the dead.

Anubis is the Egyptian god of mummification and the afterlife as well as the patron god of lost souls and the helpless. One of his many jobs is to place the heart of the deceased on a scale and weigh it against the feather of truth. If a heart weighed less than the feather, they would be allowed into the afterlife. If it weighed more, their heart would be eaten and their spirit would be erased.

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Alright, time to close voting. Here are the results!

Charizard: 23
Wobbuffet: 7
Lucario: 7
Shoe: 6
Milo the Dog: 1
The Joker Dragon: 3
Chompy: 2
Demogorgon: 13
Metagross: 4

By the results, Charizard, Demogorgon, Wobbuffet and Lucario will join the collection of Pokémon for Pop Culture Clash. Congrats to me, @Darkonedagger KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 and Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds

3rd place was a tie so why not just add both to make it more fun?

Now, on to the next job which will be a newcomer job:

Job 75:

Submit a character who is not from the US, UK or Japan! Given the fact that the bulk of our fighters come from those three countries, let's give pop culture from other countries a chance to shine here! Explain a bit about your choice and why they should get in! Get submitting!

My submission:

The Mona Lisa (Italy)

View attachment 359115

One of the most famous paintings by Leonardo Da Vinci and one of the most iconic art pieces ever. Originally painted in Italy and now in display at the Louvre in France, it is a super iconic painting. Art is a big part of pop culture and Mona Lisa is the painting that is "the best known, the most visited, the most written about, the most sung about, the most parodied work of art in the world" to quote Wikipedia. We do not have much females on the roster so she fits in perfectly.

Her moveset can include other paintings/works buy Da Vinci or even other famous artwork referenced in her moveset. A true masterpiece.
View attachment 359116
Asterix
A French-Belgian comics icon. Him being a viking means it's pretty easy to come up with a moveset for him.
Will submit Tetromino (Russia) then.
Non UK/US/Japan character submission:
Hercules (Greek Mythology)
View attachment 359117
Hercules is a mythological hero and son of god Jupiter and human Alcmena. He is known for his immense strengh and he fought many monsters. He is Greek equivalent of Heracles, a roman hero.

The Romans adapted the Greek hero's iconography and myths for their literature and art under the name Hercules. In later Western art and literature and in popular culture, Hercules is more commonly used than Heracles as the name of the hero. Hercules is a multifaceted figure with contradictory characteristics, which enabled later artists and writers to pick and choose how to represent him.

For his moveset, he could use stuff from Greek Mythology such as Zeus's thunder or Athena's shield. He could use his super strengh as his normal attacks (like punch for example).
He could be all-around character with no additional movement options.

I think it would be cool to have a character who originated from Mythology in this game, since he was portrayed as himself in media such as Disney's Hercules movie for example.
Also he counts for this job since he originated from Greece.
Geralt of Rivia (The Witcher, Poland)
Tintin (The Adventures of Tintin, Belgium)

Tintin and his comics series are extremely well known and iconic and were made by Belgian comic strip artist Herge. Whilst I can't brainstorm exact ideas right now, he's got a whole breadth of comics to potentially pull from for moveset material. He's definitely very fitting for this job.
Aladdin (The Arabian Nights, Middle East)
He should be in here because it represents Disney animated movies better than Mickey.
His basic moves would mostly have a sword. Specials could have the genie place effects on him.
Job 75:Captain Nascimento (Elite Squad) (Brazil)

View attachment 359131

Captain Nascimento is the protagonist from a brazilian movie duology called Elite Squad (in portuguese is Tropa de Elite),he is the captain from BOPE (Batalhão de Operações Policiais Especiais,in english means Special Police Operations Battalion)who is awaiting a promotion that will make his job safer and enable him to spend time with his wife and his newborn son.

Another thing i forgot,Elite Squad is based on the book called Elite da Tropa (in english means Troop Elite),the two movies are cultural phenomenon in Brazil,the first movie won the golden bear on Berlin Film Festival and the second movie was selected for The Best Foreign Language Film on 84th Academy Awards. Elite Squad is not very iconic worldwide,but it is very known to being the best brazilian movie.

Anubis.jpg

Anubis is the Egyptian god of mummification and the afterlife as well as the patron god of lost souls and the helpless. One of his many jobs is to place the heart of the deceased on a scale and weigh it against the feather of truth. If a heart weighed less than the feather, they would be allowed into the afterlife. If it weighed more, their heart would be eaten and their spirit would be erased.

Alright, it is time to vote. Vote for your top 3 submissions but you can only put your own submission in second or third. By the way Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP I disqualified your submission for Somari as I think the moveset would be too similar to Mario and Sonic's. Anyway, let's vote.

The Mona Lisa (Italy) (Real Life) AlteredBeast AlteredBeast
Asterix (France/Belgium) @Darkonedagger
Tetronimo (Russia) (Tetris) Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario
Hercules (Greece) (Greek Mythology) Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds
Geralt of Rivia (Poland) (The Witcher) HyperSomari64 HyperSomari64
Tintin (Belgium) (The Adventures of Tintin) Pokelego999 Pokelego999
Aladdin (The Middle East) (Arabian Nights) Northsouthmap Northsouthmap
Captain Nascimento (Brazil) (Elite Squad) DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26
Anubis (Egypt) (Egyptian Mythology) Oddball Oddball

1. Tintin
2. Mona Lisa
3. Hercules

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Anubis.jpg

Alright, it is time to vote. Vote for your top 3 submissions but you can only put your own submission in second or third. By the way Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP I disqualified your submission for Somari as I think the moveset would be too similar to Mario and Sonic's. Anyway, let's vote.

Hercules (Greece) (Greek Mythology) Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds

1. Tintin
2. Mona Lisa
3. Hercules
Hercules
Asterix
Tetromino

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge

1. The Mona Lisa. Honestly, I feel like the concept of a "pop culture clash" lends well to such an iconic thing getting into a title like this. I think her representing various other Da Vinci works would be really cool - especially if we could potentially sneak in a couple of his "inventions" for a move or two. Overall, a really solid - and inventive! - pick that I think fits in pretty well.
2. Anubis. I think Anubis is in an interesting position where they would fill an important niche in "pop culture" (that being religion) without bringing the potential controversy that characters like Jesus Christ might. Egyptian mythology is a really interesting, and somewhat well-known, subject that could bring a lot of really unique moveset concepts, and I think there's a lot of really cool ideas you could play with from various interpretations of these stories.
3. Tetromino. Puzzle games are, arguably, one of the most ubiquitous genres in history. Sure, you might only see games like Call of Duty: World War 9 - The Pre-Sequel (Assassination Game of the Year Edition) in terms of AAA releases, but puzzle games are the ones that even your mother knows. Be it the more modern, almost memeable ubiquity of Candy Crush, or the classic and universally beloved Tetris as mentioned here, it's an important genre to represent - and honestly, I think that a Tetromino could have a really inventive and cool moveset.

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
  1. Aladdin (Google the Aladdin Expection)
  2. Hercules
  3. TinTin
By the way Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP I disqualified your submission for Somari as I think the moveset would be too similar to Mario and Sonic's. Anyway, let's vote.
Understable, but due to Somari being a Chinese rip-off of Mario and Sonic, what did I expect?(Should have chosen Sun Wukong instead)

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
I apologize for the tardiness, Altered's been very busy lately and hasn't been able to host the regular update.

The Mona Lisa- 4
Asterix- 8
Tetronimo- 5
Hercules- 8
Geralt of Rivia- 3
Tintin- 6
Aladdin- 3
Captain Nascimento- 1
Anubis- 3

Hercules and Asterix have tied for first. We have decided to let them both in, so congrats to both Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds and @Darkonedagger!

Job 76:

Submit a stage from a currently unrepresented universe (In summary, a universe which does not currently have a playable character or stage from it)

Not much more to say other than be creative! Good luck!

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
Stage: The Invincible II(Markiplier)

Screenshot 2022-05-22 11.09.15 AM.png

Due to the fact we don't have a lot of internet media in this game, I've decided to add some with Markiplier!
The layout is going through the interiors of the spaceship.

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Job 76:Tetris

Tetris is a Russian puzzle game franchise, Tetris is one of most iconic game franchise from video games and pop culture,the franchise is the second most best-selling video game franchise,the first place is Super Mario. the stage is a central and solid platform with a background of St. Basil Cathedral (this place is a cathedral of Moscow,it's used on Tetris games as a background),some tetronimo pieces appears falling slowly into the central platform,they can used as platforms and stage hazards,when the tetronimo pieces are fitted(similar as games),they disappears and reappears other pieces doing the same thing.

Job 76:
Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park)
1662317688580.png
A titular location from the movie franchise of the same name and it's a giant dinosaur park located on fictional island called Isla Nublar.

As for the layout, the fighters fighter atop the car and the dinosaurs like Rexy (T-Rex) or Blue (Velociraptor) try to attack the opponents and the car. The car travels through whole Jurassic Park (and even some parts of Jurassic world park).

Since Jurassic Park was a popular book that got adapted into movie, I think Jurassic Park franchise needs to be represented as stage in this game.

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Been a while since I updated this thread since I have been busy but here are the results with the correct scoring:

Mona Lisa: 10
Asterix: 20
Tetronimo: 8
Hercules: 16
Geralt: 4
Tintin: 13
Aladdin: 5
Captain Nascimento: 2
Anubis: 3

It seems Pokelego999 Pokelego999 was right and Asterix and Hercules will join the roster so congrats to @Darkonedagger and Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds

I'll give the stage job one more day before I close it but for now, I will be resubmitting an old stage of mine being the Six Flags stage.

Six Flags

322805_original.jpg

Six Flags is one of the most well-known theme park brands in the world and we do not really have theme parks represented. Why not represent them with Six Flags? The stage is similar to Glove World in Nickelodeon All Star Brawl where you fight on the rollercoaster tracks and all. But then, it will transition to various parts of the park including the kiddie area with Looney Tunes characters and even to the carnival games. It's another traveling stage.

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Stage: The Invincible II(Markiplier)

View attachment 360104

Due to the fact we don't have a lot of internet media in this game, I've decided to add some with Markiplier!
The layout is going through the interiors of the spaceship.
Job 76:Tetris

Tetris is a Russian puzzle game franchise, Tetris is one of most iconic game franchise from video games and pop culture,the franchise is the second most best-selling video game franchise,the first place is Super Mario. the stage is a central and solid platform with a background of St. Basil Cathedral (this place is a cathedral of Moscow,it's used on Tetris games as a background),some tetronimo pieces appears falling slowly into the central platform,they can used as platforms and stage hazards,when the tetronimo pieces are fitted(similar as games),they disappears and reappears other pieces doing the same thing.
Job 76:
Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park)
View attachment 360236
A titular location from the movie franchise of the same name and it's a giant dinosaur park located on fictional island called Isla Nublar.

As for the layout, the fighters fighter atop the car and the dinosaurs like Rexy (T-Rex) or Blue (Velociraptor) try to attack the opponents and the car. The car travels through whole Jurassic Park (and even some parts of Jurassic world park).

Since Jurassic Park was a popular book that got adapted into movie, I think Jurassic Park franchise needs to be represented as stage in this game.
Been a while since I updated this thread since I have been busy but here are the results with the correct scoring:

Mona Lisa: 10
Asterix: 20
Tetronimo: 8
Hercules: 16
Geralt: 4
Tintin: 13
Aladdin: 5
Captain Nascimento: 2
Anubis: 3

It seems Pokelego999 Pokelego999 was right and Asterix and Hercules will join the roster so congrats to @Darkonedagger and Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds

I'll give the stage job one more day before I close it but for now, I will be resubmitting an old stage of mine being the Six Flags stage.

Six Flags

322805_original.jpg

Six Flags is one of the most well-known theme park brands in the world and we do not really have theme parks represented. Why not represent them with Six Flags? The stage is similar to Glove World in Nickelodeon All Star Brawl where you fight on the rollercoaster tracks and all. But then, it will transition to various parts of the park including the kiddie area with Looney Tunes characters and even to the carnival games. It's another traveling stage.
Alright, job is closed. Vote for your top 3 stages but you can only put your own stage in second or third. The top two stages will join the game:

Stages:

The Invincible II (Markiplier) Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP
Tetris DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26
Jurassic Park Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds
Six Flags AlteredBeast AlteredBeast

1. Jurassic Park
2. Six Flags
3. Tetris

Top Bottom