• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: PlayStation All Stars 2

PinkFlare

Previously 1SecondNinja
Just gonna shed some light on this situation and say that Norse and Greek Kratos can (and should) be separate characters.

It's not just the weapons but the general characterization of Kratos that makes the ultimate difference. Greek Kratos would not fight the same way as Norse Kratos, even if both shared the same weapon. They're also representing completely different eras of the same series so I feel it is absolutely justified to split them up as such.

I've posted my fan roster else where but I had Greek Kratos as a bonus DLC character, in the same vein as Piranha Plant. Norse Kratos was base game. This is an easy route to having both of them without eating too much in other series' representation

Edit: Basically this is Samus and ZSS in Smash, just not to a T

Last edited:

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Same characters though. In the end, Norse Saga Kratos still has the blades of chaos like Greek Saga Kratos did.
All Links use the Master Sword. 3 Links. Far more similar move sets. It doesn't matter if both Kratos wield the Blades of Chaos. Greek Kratos would have them as his main weapon and Norse Kratos would have the Leviathan Axe as his main weapon.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
This is an interesting debate, as someone who has only played a little of the greek era and none of the norse I think it kind of depends on what kind of character customization is in the game or what is available for other options.

Can you have a mechanic similar to classic Zelda/Sheik or is there another character who could believably utilize a good chunk moves from either Kratos. Perhaps his son from the newer games could play some sort of role in this.

To make a comparison even if Smash only had one Link I would rather see Young Impa or King Rhoam utilize the Sheikah slate than adding a Champion Link even if the latter may have been more logical. Obviously though that changes if it was established only Link could use the slate or there wasnt another stand out connected character.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I feel like, if they wanted to go the direction of having two Kratoses, the Greek one could just be "Kratos" while the Norse one could be "Kratos and Atreus". (Where Atreus's actions are tied to the Circle button or something like that)

Still, given how much their brand has expanded since the early-to-mid PS3 era with games like Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon: Zero Dawn, the Last of Us, Astro Bot, Bloodborne, etc. (along with ones that missed the boat last time like Legend of Dragoon), I'd think they'd want to show off as many series as possible rather than doubling down on Kratos. (Especially if someone like Thor gets added - I haven't played God of War Ragnarok yet, but I'm assuming he has a major role)

Edit: forgot about KNACK 2, BABY! I'm disappointed in myself.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I personally after Ragnarok, Atreus can easily work as his own separate character.

Especially with his ability to transform into a wolf and bear.

Last edited:

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
With Super Smash Bros Ultimate basically the Finale to Super Smash Bros (yes, there could be others made but not likely for a LONG time); I think Playstation Allstars could fill the void it will leave behind. What do you think? I think it would be a smart business move as there is still a hunger for this gameplay style.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
With Super Smash Bros Ultimate basically the Finale to Super Smash Bros (yes, there could be others made but not likely for a LONG time); I think Playstation Allstars could fill the void it will leave behind. What do you think? I think it would be a smart business move as there is still a hunger for this gameplay style.
I mean Multiversus is trying to fill in that role, although at the moment it's trying to rebuild itself from the ground up

don't say the game failed and died for peeps sake

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Source Gaming is doing a video on building PlayStation All Stars 2 rosters. (EDIT: there's some crude language in here)

The criteria is similar to what this one started with (36 characters, maximum of 12 third party characters), so I'm interested to see how this pans out.

Though things have changed quite a bit since this thread started, with Microsoft being on the verge of buying out Activision. (which would most likely rule out Crash, Spyro, Coco, etc. for a hypothetical PSAS2) They're taking that into account here, so no Crash or Spyro in their rosters.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I suppose Sony COULD igonre past that and try to include them regerdless, making it like a Banjo situation.

If not, I nominate Shadow and Monokuma to replace them /j
They can't just ignore it, they're direct competitor and I don't think Microsoft would let Sony use their character in the same way they let Nintendo.

Source Gaming is doing a video on building PlayStation All Stars 2 rosters. (EDIT: there's some crude language in here)

The criteria is similar to what this one started with (36 characters, maximum of 12 third party characters), so I'm interested to see how this pans out.

Though things have changed quite a bit since this thread started, with Microsoft being on the verge of buying out Activision. (which would most likely rule out Crash, Spyro, Coco, etc. for a hypothetical PSAS2) They're taking that into account here, so no Crash or Spyro in their rosters.
They just finished their first roster and I think it's a fair roster, but I don't really like the idea that Spider Man should be there even if I understand that it's one of Playstation biggest ip technically at this point. Thor is an odd choice for a second God of war rep, he's not even that important in Ragnarok. Specter is also an odd choice in a way but I'm not opposed to it, but Ape escape of all thing is weird to have 2 rep.

I also still think that Knack shouldn't be in this type of game, it's such an awful game that I don't get why people still want representation from it in a crossover.

For those who can't see the stream the roster is:
Kratos
Thor
Aloy
Sackboy
Parappa
Fat Princess
Ratchet & Clank
Qwark
Nathan Drake
Ellie
Jak and Daxter
Spider Man
Cole MacGrath
Delsin Rowe
Colonel Radec
Kat
Dart Feld
Cloud Strife
Spike
Specter
Sir Daniel Fortesque
Sweet Tooth
The hunter
Dante
Toro
Astro Bot
Nariko
Sly Cooper
Jin Sakai
Alucard
Knack
Selene
Ryu Hayabusa
Heihachi
Rayman
Gex

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
They just finished their first roster and I think it's a fair roster, but I don't really like the idea that Spider Man should be there even if I understand that it's one of Playstation biggest ip technically at this point. Thor is an odd choice for a second God of war rep, he's not even that important in Ragnarok. Specter is also an odd choice in a way but I'm not opposed to it, but Ape escape of all thing is weird to have 2 rep.

I also still think that Knack shouldn't be in this type of game, it's such an awful game that I don't get why people still want representation from it in a crossover.
Dunkey (a Youtuber) turned Knack into something of a meme because it's such a fun word to say.

As for Thor, the first person (Nantenjex) admitted that he hasn't played much of God of War Ragnarok, but I could see Thor being interesting in a fighting game. (plus, it seems like Ragnarok's version of Thor would work well as a hard-hitting heavyweight character, though admittedly, I haven't played Ragnarok either)

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Dunkey (a Youtuber) turned Knack into something of a meme because it's such a fun word to say.

As for Thor, the first person (Nantenjex) admitted that he hasn't played much of God of War Ragnarok, but I could see Thor being interesting in a fighting game. (plus, it seems like Ragnarok's version of Thor would work well as a hard-hitting heavyweight character, though admittedly, I haven't played Ragnarok either)
Yeah I agree that Thor would be fun to play but it's still feels odd to me, he's not even the main antagonist, and I'd argue he's not even a major antagonist. He barely does anything that contributes to the story aside from being Odin's pet dog.

And I know that Knack is a meme, but at this point it's 10 years old, it's really not that funny anymore.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I think roster 2 and 3 are my favorite, they have a good balance of obvious Pick, but with some more original stuff thrown there. I think 2 especially would be pretty much perfect if you replace Badman by something like Wander. I think Badman is pushing a bit the niche pick and he already have Ashley and Robbit as more niche characters so I don't think he need a third one.

Roster 1 is pretty good but it's a very safe roster, there's no pick very surprising aside from Specter I guess.

Roster 4 is the opposite, it's just trying too hard to be original and while there's some good idea here and there (like Fetch instead of Delsin and Yuna from Everybody's golf is a fun original pick) but other choice are just really weird. Like, why go with Aiden Pearce instead of something Assassin's creed, and why cut Sweet tooth for Axel? Also by focusing too much on more niche picks he had to Cut Sly Cooper and Parappa, which is really weird in a roster that big.

darkvortex

Smash Lord
I think roster 2 and 3 are my favorite, they have a good balance of obvious Pick, but with some more original stuff thrown there. I think 2 especially would be pretty much perfect if you replace Badman by something like Wander. I think Badman is pushing a bit the niche pick and he already have Ashley and Robbit as more niche characters so I don't think he need a third one.

Roster 1 is pretty good but it's a very safe roster, there's no pick very surprising aside from Specter I guess.

Roster 4 is the opposite, it's just trying too hard to be original and while there's some good idea here and there (like Fetch instead of Delsin and Yuna from Everybody's golf is a fun original pick) but other choice are just really weird. Like, why go with Aiden Pearce instead of something Assassin's creed, and why cut Sweet tooth for Axel? Also by focusing too much on more niche picks he had to Cut Sly Cooper and Parappa, which is really weird in a roster that big.
Badman was purely a "I like this character" pick iirc. Adien was done because Watch Dogs 1 was a big PS4 launch game and Axel was mostly a funny pick also with him being the main character of the recent show . I mostly agree with you though

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Badman was purely a "I like this character" pick iirc. Adien was done because Watch Dogs 1 was a big PS4 launch game and Axel was mostly a funny pick also with him being the main character of the recent show . I mostly agree with you though
Oh I didn't know about Axel being the protag of the tv series. Well I guess this explains it, but I think most fans will still associate Twisted metal with Sweet tooth. Maybe you could argue it could have both character, especially if the rumor of a Twisted metal reboot being in the work is true (then again, personally if I would give Twisted metal a second rep I'd go with Calypso or Mr. Grimm).

darkvortex

Smash Lord
Oh I didn't know about Axel being the protag of the tv series. Well I guess this explains it, but I think most fans will still associate Twisted metal with Sweet tooth. Maybe you could argue it could have both character, especially if the rumor of a Twisted metal reboot being in the work is true (then again, personally if I would give Twisted metal a second rep I'd go with Calypso or Mr. Grimm).
Okay I got mixed up. he's not the main character but is heavily implied to be a bit part of season 2

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I REALY hope no none video game characters get added if we get PSA2. Spiderman really isn't someone I want in PSA2.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I'd like a PlayStation All-Stars 2, but I'd want to them to focus more on actual Sony properties before going in on the third parties like I'm seeing in a lot of these mockups. At the same time, I don't see Sony allowing the sort of roster I'd like to see.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I'd like a PlayStation All-Stars 2, but I'd want to them to focus more on actual Sony properties before going in on the third parties like I'm seeing in a lot of these mockups. At the same time, I don't see Sony allowing the sort of roster I'd like to see.
I love Sony but I genuinely think they don't have enough first party games to make a very intersting roster without at least a few third party. Especially if you look at PS1 era most of their big games weren't even made by them aside from Gran Turismo and Ape escape.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I love Sony but I genuinely think they don't have enough first party games to make a very intersting roster without at least a few third party. Especially if you look at PS1 era most of their big games weren't even made by them aside from Gran Turismo and Ape escape.
Oh, I agree. I'm not saying the roster should be completely devoid of third parties (stuff like Tekken should definitely make it in), but for a fresh start I'd like them to put some more care into the roster choices and actually look into their own catalog.

Obviously the actual devs that worked on the original PSASBR had this in mind, but Sony thought differently hence stuff like Big Daddy and Donte.

A lot of the example rosters posted thus far feature 1 character per franchise, but I think it'd be fine to do multiple reps where it's feasible. Modern Sony's IP are currently lacking, both in the actual number of used IP and characters to pull from, so I think it'd be a good opportunity to dig more into their past and actually use what's there. Granted I also doubt Sony would care to do so, preferring to license mostly guests and promote only a handful of IP like GoW and TLoU.

I'd personally like to see a more rounded "Brawl" roster if we're going to make a comparison (and fall in line with the character count of 36 that the thread seems to have settled on.) So, 2-4 characters per franchise where applicable and just a handful of guests to start off. (More than 2 obviosuly I'm just comparing it Brawl as example for a starting point.)

So, something like 4 God of War characters; Greek Kratos and a Greek god, and then Norse Kratos and a Norse god to rep both eras. All 3 core members of the Cooper gang (+ Carmelita maybe?) Ratchet with Rivet as a clone/semi-clone. Ditto for Kat and Raven, etc. You bring back most of the single character franchises as well, plus add a few more like Dart, Jin, Astro, Aloy, and someone from Bloodborne. Then 4-6 guests from major PlayStation associated franchises. So likely Tekken, MGS, FF, etc. And honestly, I don't mind throwing Spider-Man in there too. With Sony's more limited first party game line up, a few licensed properties with major game series will help bolster the roster while making them stand out from Smash in that regard. They just have to be very selective on that last one.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Oh, I agree. I'm not saying the roster should be completely devoid of third parties (stuff like Tekken should definitely make it in), but for a fresh start I'd like them to put some more care into the roster choices and actually look into their own catalog.

Obviously the actual devs that worked on the original PSASBR had this in mind, but Sony thought differently hence stuff like Big Daddy and Donte.

A lot of the example rosters posted thus far feature 1 character per franchise, but I think it'd be fine to do multiple reps where it's feasible. Modern Sony's IP are currently lacking, both in the actual number of used IP and characters to pull from, so I think it'd be a good opportunity to dig more into their past and actually use what's there. Granted I also doubt Sony would care to do so, preferring to license mostly guests and promote only a handful of IP like GoW and TLoU.

I'd personally like to see a more rounded "Brawl" roster if we're going to make a comparison (and fall in line with the character count of 36 that the thread seems to have settled on.) So, 2-4 characters per franchise where applicable and just a handful of guests to start off. (More than 2 obviosuly I'm just comparing it Brawl as example for a starting point.)

So, something like 4 God of War characters; Greek Kratos and a Greek god, and then Norse Kratos and a Norse god to rep both eras. All 3 core members of the Cooper gang (+ Carmelita maybe?) Ratchet with Rivet as a clone/semi-clone. Ditto for Kat and Raven, etc. You bring back most of the single character franchises as well, plus add a few more like Dart, Jin, Astro, Aloy, and someone from Bloodborne. Then 4-6 guests from major PlayStation associated franchises. So likely Tekken, MGS, FF, etc. And honestly, I don't mind throwing Spider-Man in there too. With Sony's more limited first party game line up, a few licensed properties with major game series will help bolster the roster while making them stand out from Smash in that regard. They just have to be very selective on that last one.
Oh I think your idea on having multiple rep for some franchises is actually pretty cool, I thought you meant like no third party stuff at all.

But on another note, I don't think Donte was Sony's idea, it was actually Capcom that forced them to use this Dante to market the new game, so it was either that or no Dante at all. I'm not sure why they add Big Daddy tho, my guess is that they wanted an fps rep (remember that at the ps3 era it was by far the biggest genre), but they didn't want a generic soldier so they went with him. I do think it's a weird pick, but retrospectively I think he makes some sense because Bioshock is often considered one of the best and most influential games of the ps3 era.

Top Bottom