• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: PlayStation All Stars 2

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
DLC Submission: Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear)

Guilty Gear is a huge fighting game franchise that’s sort of in the spotlight recently given the release of Strive. Sol would fight with the various techniques from the series and his personality would give some variety to the roster. His series also has a long history with the playstation given the first game was on the PS1

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
DLC submission: Tomba! (or Tombi for the folks in Europe)

Tomba is the protagonist of a duology of platformers on the PS1 named, well, Tomba! He's a feral, caveman-esque kid who fights evil pigs, but look, the story doesn't matter. What matters is that Tomba's games are really good, featuring non-linear progression which is pretty rare for 2D platformers. The games received acclaim but didn't sell very well, though nowadays they're considered classics for the PS1 (and are crazy expensive).

Tomba's main method of attack in his games is a pounce followed by bites or throws, so he'd be a sort of grappler/rushdown combination. He also has the standard array of platformer weapons and powerups such as flails and boomerangs, plus the animal costumes he can wear in the sequel.

I always like to be the first-party option and after the deluge of shooter characters I think it's sensible to add a more cartoony platformer character so that's why I picked Tomba. Plus I think he was rumored to be DLC for the first game...? Honorable mention to Ari & Stan who I had written up my proposal for until I realized Yu kinda has their gimmick already.

Sam Porter Bridges (not sure if I need to type out his full name or if I can just go with "Sam") won the tie-breaker poll, so he'll be our sixth DLC character!
Yay, he's finally in! And just Sam's fine, he's got like 4 different surnames anyway.

Oh yeah forgot to vote stages

1. Playstation Labo (just a lovely concept and while it might be more fitting as a final stage, it makes sense to have it in the pack with 2 first parties)
2. Salazar Castle (funny that Sam's stage got in alongside Leon and now Leon's stage could get in alongside Sam)
3. Time Station (this was a great stage and I think both franchises could use the representation)

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The stage results are:

Time Station: 3
Stowaways: 5
Salazar Castle: 8
PlayStation Labo: 10
Temen-Ni-Gru: 10

Here's a poll to break the tie: https://www.strawpoll.me/45433846 (I included the option for both in case that was what people would prefer)

---

Here are our nominations for the seventh DLC character:

-Vergil (Devil May Cry) ( Megadoomer Megadoomer )
-Big Daddy (BioShock) ( Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario )
-Rayman (Rayman) ( volbound1700 volbound1700 )
-Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear) ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )
-Tomba (Tomba!) ( GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 )

Vote for your top three, and you can put your own nomination in second or third.

1. Rayman
2. Sol Badguy
3. Vergil

---

I'm also going to try one last round of Memory Card summon nominations (this game's equivalent to Assist Trophies) - like usual, each person can nominate up to two of them.

Yoshimitsu (Tekken)

The glue that helps bind Tekken and Soul Calibur together, Yoshimitsu is a rather unusual ninja whose appearance changes heavily in each Tekken game. (his current outfit resembles an octopus) A Robin Hood-style thief, Yoshimitsu has an unusual fighting style which involves using his sword like a pogo stick, committing Harakiri by stabbing himself through the chest to stab at an opponent who's behind him, or spinning his sword like a helicopter blade to fly around - all of which he would use in his assist, along with running around the stage to slash at his opponent(s).

Mister Grimm (Twisted Metal)

Mister Grimm is one of the characters who appears the most often in Twisted Metal, along with Sweet Tooth/Needles Kane and Calypso. While his appearance changes heavily from game to game, (sometimes he's a flesh-and-blood human wearing face paint, and in at least one game, he's a pirate) I'm going with his appearance from Twisted Metal: Head-On because that bears the closest resemblance to the Grim Reaper. (and also Ghost Rider)

When summoned, Mister Grimm drives his motorcycle around the stage erratically, occasionally revving his engine before launching a flaming skull straight ahead. He can damage other players with either the flaming skull or by ramming into them.

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
1. Rayman (I'm a stan for this series since my childhood)
2. Tomba (would be a former's rival later)
3. Sol Badguy

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Memory card summons:
Raiden (Metal Gear Rising: Revengence)

Raiden will run across the screen swinging his blade. If he hits someone he’ll suddenly go into blade mode and start repeatedly swinging at the opponent a bunch of times, dealing massive damage that the opponent can’t escape from. Raiden will then disappear.

Lab Assistant (Crash Bandicoot)

He throws a couple of beakers filled with purple liquid forward. The liquid stays on the ground for a bit and does damage to anyone who steps on it.

Also I don’t know if you’ve answered this before but will DLC include memories?

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
I'll guess that probably yes. Smash 4 DLCs has trophies (I did look up a Ken trophy from Ryu's) and then obviously, Ultimate has spirits, after all. Megadoomer can give out a real answer, though.

I'm also wondering same about a music list as it wasn't updated on an opening post (even after Ivan and I made some suggestions), speaking of.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'll guess that probably yes. Smash 4 DLCs has trophies (I did look up a Ken trophy from Ryu's) and then obviously, Ultimate has spirits, after all. Megadoomer can give out a real answer, though.

I'm also wondering same about a music list as it wasn't updated on an opening post (even after Ivan and I made some suggestions), speaking of.
Yes, I don't see why not in either case. I'll have to go back and see which music suggestions I missed in order to update the original post.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Memory Cards:

Lazarus Jones (Ghosthunter)

The protagonist of PS2 game Ghosthunter, Lazarus would throw Capture Grenades at fighters. If the fighter hit with the grenade or caught in its blast is beyond a certain threshold of health, they'd be stunned (or "captured") for a long time opening them up for a world of pain. If they aren't but are hit with the grenade itself, it would stick to the fighter and display a meter that fills up with damage. Other players have a brief period of time to fill up said meter to capture the fighter, but in this scenario the fighter with the grenade stuck to them could flee.

Pascal (NieR)

Pascal is the leader of the machine village in NieR Automata. He is, however, a pacifist, so as a Memory Card he'd just walk around the stage slowly and do nothing. However any attack will kill him, causing the screen to be completely obstructed by an ending screen in the style of Automata (using endings L, M, N, or Z for descriptions), followed by a sped-up version of the credits for PSAS2 as Weight of the World plays.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The PlayStation Labo stage won the poll, and the final results for the character are...

Big Daddy: 4
Sol Badguy: 7
Vergil: 7
Tomba: 7
Rayman: 11

This means that Rayman will be our seventh, and second-to-last, DLC character!

---

Here's the Memory Card summons that have been nominated:

-Yoshimitsu (Tekken) ( Megadoomer Megadoomer )
-Mr. Grimm (Twisted Metal) ( Megadoomer Megadoomer )
-Raiden (Metal Gear Rising) ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )
-Lab Assistant (Crash Bandicoot) ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )
-Lazarus Jones (Ghosthunter) ( GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 )
-Pascal (Nier Automata) ( GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 )

Vote for your top three, and you can put one of your nominations in third. The top three (or top four if there's a tie) will be added to the line-up.

1. Pascal
2. Raiden
3. Lazarus Jones

---

Rather than jumping straight into the eighth DLC character today, I'm going to slow it down a bit and give people time to think about who to add. Also, if you want to submit any memories, moveset ideas, music, etc. that hasn't been covered (whether it's for Rayman, Metal Gear, Syphon Filter, Returnal, Castlevania, Death Stranding, Wild ARMs, or any series that are already in the base game), feel free! (you'll still be able to do that once we wrap up DLC, but I figure I should mention it now)

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Oh, heck YEAH! One of my favorite video game protagonists won! To celebrate this, I decided to post my moveset concept for Rayman I wrote yesterday after finding out he was one of the nominations.

Square attacks focuses on various melee combos from Origins & Legends and chargeable moves involving his trademark telescopic fist.
Square x3: Fist Combo - Rayman does a right punch, then a left punch and finishes with a longer, stronger right punch. Based on his standard attack.
Square (Hold): Telescopic Fist - Rayman winds up his fist and tosses it forward, which returns back to him after a maximum distance. He can also move and jump while charging. When fully charged, a fist will turn golden and do more damage.
-A fully charged move references the Golden Fist power-up.
Square (Air) x2: Kung-Fu Combo - Rayman performs an aerial kick and then does a double hammer punch. Based on his aerial attack, even named after the trophy from Origins.
Side Square: Pirouette - Rayman runs forward while spinning his fists around him. Based on his running attack.
Side Square (Air): Dive n' Roll - Rayman will dive forwards in an arc until he hits the ground, rolling forward slightly.
Up Square x3: Uppercut Combo - Rayman performs a right hook upwards, then follows up with a upwards left hook and finishes with a stronger right hook, similarly to his Square attack.
Up Square (Hold): Telescopic Uppercut - Rayman winds up his fist as he aims upwards and then performs an spinning uppercut. Unlike his held Square Attack, Rayman's fist doesn't have boomerang properties. Based on the upwards charged attack.
Up Square (Air): Upper Kick - Rayman kicks upwards with his right foot. Based on his upwards aerial attack.
Down Square: Sweep Kick - Rayman crouches down and swipes his right foot to perform a sweeping attack, tripping an opponent in-front of him. From Rayman Origins.
Down Square (Hold): Ground Slam - Rayman winds up a fist over his head and then punches the ground, creating a small shockwave. Based on his new down attack in Rayman Legends, except with a charge.
Down Square (Air): Bodyshot - Rayman tosses his body like a basketball, bouncing off opponents. Based on one of his attacks in the Game Boy Advance version of Rayman 3.

Triangle attacks focuses on Laser-Washing Powder power-ups (except Shock Rocket, which is one of the Circle moves).
Triangle: Vortex - Rayman summons a yellow tornado, which travels forward. When hit, a tornado traps an opponent before turning them around and disappears.
Side Triangle: Lockjaw - Rayman tosses a chain and pulls an opponent towards him when catching them. Pressing again will make him send a electric shock for additional damage.
Up Triangle (Hold): Throttle Copter - Rayman spawns a pilot helmet and uses its propellers to rapidly damage opponents above him. Holding the button will make him rise into the air, able to fly horizontally in 3 seconds before falling like King K. Rool's. This also immediately applies when performed in the air.
Down Triangle: Heavy Metal Fist - Rayman covers both of his fists with spikes and slams the ground with a powerful overhead shockwave attack which can launch opponents upward. In the air, he will fall downwards head-first with a spiked fist below him, creating a bigger shockwave around him than a grounded Down Square.
-The ground version is same as Byleth's Down Special (Aymr) in Smash.
-The air version is based on an aerial downwards attack from Origins and Legends, except with Heavy Metal Fist used.

Circle moves focuses on projectiles and various elements used in some games.
Circle (Hold): Magic Fist - Rayman shoots a small, white energy orb from his hand, which ricochet off surfaces and does non-flinching damage. Can be rapid-fired while moving, angled in 3 directions (forward/diagonal-up/diagonal-down) and charged for a larger, golden (blue at mid-charge) orb, which does more damage and lets out a powerful explosion.
-Thanks for making a example of how this move would work, BirthNote (GeneticDestiny)!
Side Circle: Shock Rocket - Rayman fires a controllable small rocket/missile, which explodes in contact with an opponent/surface or after a short amount of time.
Up Circle: Grappling Fist - Rayman grabs on a Purple Lum, which appears in the air, and swings forward via magical tether before jumping off high, damaging opponents by kicking them on his way.
Down Circle: Plum Drop - Rayman summons a large purple plum, which bounces around when attacked and stuns an opponent when hitting directly on their head. Based on his Down Special in Super Smash Flash 2.

Cross (Hold; Air): Helicopter Hair - Rayman spins his hair like a helicopter rotor to hover in the air, slowing down his fall. Works similarly to Cole (Static Thrusters), Sly (Paraglider) and Jesse's (Levitate).

Side Throw - Rayman carries an opponent over his shoulder and then tosses them forward with both hands. Based on his ability to pick up and carry objects in Rayman 2: The Great Escape.
Up Throw - Rayman holds the opponent above his head and uses his helicopter hair like a fan to send them flying via gust of wind. Based on the cut move from the E3 2010 trailer in Rayman Origins.
Down Throw - Rayman grabs the opponent, hops into the air and then performs a overhead bash with both fists to slam them onto the ground.

Level 1: Rocket-Powered Rodeo - A walking shell will appear as Rayman hops on it as he shouts "GO!", rushing forward a short distance (same as Nariko's) by using its rocket boosters before he quickly jumps off as it explodes. A explosion can deal large amounts of damage to anyone who is caught.
Level 2: Legends Attack - Globox, Barbara, Grand Minimus and Goth Teensie appears, aiding Rayman in combat by attacking opponents around them for a short time. This Super is pretty much like Heihachi's, but with three more characters.
Level 3: Hi Ho Moskito! - Rayman whistles as Bzzit appears on the stage, smiling and hopping on him, being able to control him for 10 seconds. Bzzit can fly around by using the control stick like Beast Evil Cole (in the first game) and Kat (in her Gravity Panther form).
-Square - Bzzit shoots a fast projectile from his proboscis. Can be rapid-fired by holding down the button, unlike Rayman's Circle attack (where you have to tap repeatedly).
-Triangle - Bzzit swoops horizontally forward while stinging opponents in-front of him. Based on one of his attacks in the first game.
-Circle (Hold) - Bzzit sucks up an opponent with his proboscis like a vacuum and then shoots them away when pressed again.

Additional thing I want to say, but not so important: one of his taunts have to be his funny "grimace" face.

I had designed Lammy's moveset before a few years ago, but considering that she's a clone (Gemini Fighter in my terms on this project) of PaRappa, she probably wouldn't have many differences unlike as her own separate character, unless she's like a semi-clone with her own moves, but similar stats. Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario

For votes:
1. Lazarus Jones (appreciate underrated, obscure games)
2. Mr. Grimm
3. Raiden

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I believe the music section's up to date now, though the following series on the base roster don't have music yet:
Uncharted
PaRappa
Tomb Raider
Legend of Dragoon
Gravity Rush
Astro's Playroom
Horizon Zero Dawn
Ghost of Tsushima
Fat Princess
MediEvil
Ape Escape
Doko Demo Issyo
Spyro
Folklore
Oddworld
Knack
inFamous
Control
Killzone
The Last of Us

...and most of the DLC series. (Shadow of the Colossus being the exception)

Not sure how well many of these series lend themselves to music tracks, but I'm sure we can come up with plenty for PaRappa the Rapper (even if they're instrumental versions) or Uncharted at the very least. (in addition, plenty of other series that I didn't list could use some expanding - Tekken has only one song so far)

Metal Gear Solid:

-Rules of Nature (Metal Gear Rising - also, how the heck did Smash not get ANY Metal Gear Rising music?)
-Encounter (Metal Gear Solid)
-Duel (Metal Gear Solid)
-VR Training (Metal Gear Solid)
-Metal Gear Solid Main Theme (Metal Gear Solid 2)
-Yell Dead Cell (MGS2)
-Snake Eater (MGS3)
-Takin' on the Shagohod (MGS3)
-Snake vs. Monkey (MGS3)
-Old Snake (MGS4)
-Rex vs. Ray (MGS4)
-Metal Gear Saga (MGS4)
-I'm My Own Master Now (Metal Gear Rising)
-A Stranger I Remain (MGR)
-Collective Consciousness (MGR)
-It Has To Be This Way (MGR)
-Heavens Divide (Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker)
-Sins of the Father (Metal Gear Solid V)
-Quiet's Theme (MGSV)
-Sahelanthropus Dominion (MGSV)

I'm nowhere near as familiar with the other franchises as I am with Metal Gear, though Nate's Theme from Uncharted should definitely be in here.

Also, I've updated Rivet to change her level 3 Super, now that the game's came out and I've seen footage of the ending.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Here's the results for the Memory Card Summon voting:

Pascal: 7
Raiden: 6
Lazarus Jones: 6
Mr. Grimm: 5
Yoshimitsu: 0
Lab Assistant: 0

Since the votes were pretty close and the top four were the clear favourites here, I'll add Pascal, Raiden, Lazarus Jones, and Mr. Grimm as Memory Card summons.

---

Today, we're going to nominate the last DLC character. (though if you want to post music, movesets, or memories, either today or any other day, feel free)

Zidane (Final Fantasy IX)

I feel like we've done a great job with covering what was missing in the original game's roster (though in our case, it helps that this is all hypothetical and we don't have to worry about budget, time, companies wanting to use this opportunity to promote other characters/series/continuities, etc.), with the main blind spot being Final Fantasy. I guess the big problem is that, when people think Final Fantasy on PlayStation, one particular spikey-haired protagonist comes to mind, and we've generally been trying to avoid overlap with Smash Bros. (as of now, there's one exception, unless Crash or Dante winds up being CP11, and even then, people objected to the idea)

Of the other Final Fantasy protagonists that seem to be heavily associated with PlayStation (Squall, Zidane, and Tidus), I feel like Zidane meshes well with Rayman in terms of tone, and he contrasts with the other RPG protagonists in this game (Dart, Yu, technically the Hunter) by being a Thief rather than a Warrior. (so he's got a short range and is built for speedy, hit-and-run attacks rather than prolonged fights)

He's got two costumes (Pluto Uniform and Marcus's Bandanna) built in from other Dissidia games (his third alternate costume could be wearing Vivi's outfit, but with his face visible beneath the massive hat, or maybe having the hat tilted back so that there aren't any issues with his hitbox), and his attacks could involve kicks for his light attacks, knife attacks for his heavy attacks (though they wouldn't be especially slow or hard-hitting; just slower and harder-hitting compared to his kicks), and various special moves for his circle attacks. His Super moves could have him calling in Vivi to use Fira, calling in Dagger/Garnet to summon Ramuh, and using his Trance form to massively power up his attacks.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Last DLC submission: Monokuma (Danganronpa)

Danganronpa is a mystery/visual novel series about teenagers trapped in a school, and the only escape is to kill each other. Monokuma is sort of the one running this school (man it’s hard to describe this series without spoiling it) and the one who organizes the class trials.

Anyways, the series has a long history on the playstation system with the first game debuting on PSP and many other games being available on Playstation systems. He would fight using some of the punishments from the games and abilities he has been shown doing.

Also I feel like he would be a nice contrast to Rayman if he was his rival. Monokuma is a symbol of fear and despair so it would be interesting for his rival to be someone who (sort of) symbolizes dreams and hope.

Also I’ve made what I think could be a good memory list for Metal Gear Solid and Castlevania:
Solid Snake
Roy Campbell
Kazuhira Miller
Gray Fox
Hal Emmerich
Meryl Silverburgh
Liquid Snake
Psycho Mantis
Revolver Ocelot
Naomi Hunter
Metal Gear REX
Raiden
Solidus Snake
Big Boss
The Boss
Major Zero
Colonel Volgin
Shagohod
Drebin 893
Sunny Emmerich
Paz Ortega Andrade
Metal Gear ZEKE
Jetstream Sam
Senator Armstrong

Alucard
Simon Belmont
Medusa Heads
Skelwton
Blood Skeleton
Axe Knight
Thornweed
Fleaman
Mummy
The Creature
Death
Dracula
Trevor Belmont
Grant
Richter Belmont
Maria Renard
Succubus
Orlox
Leon Belmont

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Also I’ve made what I think could be a good memory list for Metal Gear Solid and Castlevania:
Solid Snake
Roy Campbell
Kazuhira Miller
Gray Fox
Hal Emmerich
Meryl Silverburgh
Liquid Snake
Psycho Mantis
Revolver Ocelot
Naomi Hunter
Metal Gear REX
Raiden
Solidus Snake
Big Boss
The Boss
Major Zero
Colonel Volgin
Shagohod
Drebin 893
Sunny Emmerich
Paz Ortega Andrade
Metal Gear ZEKE
Jetstream Sam
Senator Armstrong

Alucard
Simon Belmont
Medusa Heads
Skelwton
Blood Skeleton
Axe Knight
Thornweed
Fleaman
Mummy
The Creature
Death
Dracula
Trevor Belmont
Grant
Richter Belmont
Maria Renard
Succubus
Orlox
Leon Belmont
Thanks! I added some memories this morning (some to Uncharted, some to series that have just been added or ones that got new items/assists, and an absolutely absurd amount of Metal Gear Solid ones), and I've just added yours as well.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
DLC submission: Tomba! (or Tombi for the folks in Europe)

Tomba is the protagonist of a duology of platformers on the PS1 named, well, Tomba! He's a feral, caveman-esque kid who fights evil pigs, but look, the story doesn't matter. What matters is that Tomba's games are really good, featuring non-linear progression which is pretty rare for 2D platformers. The games received acclaim but didn't sell very well, though nowadays they're considered classics for the PS1 (and are crazy expensive).

Tomba's main method of attack in his games is a pounce followed by bites or throws, so he'd be a sort of grappler/rushdown combination. He also has the standard array of platformer weapons and powerups such as flails and boomerangs, plus the animal costumes he can wear in the sequel.

I always like to be the first-party option and after the deluge of shooter characters I think it's sensible to add a more cartoony platformer character so that's why I picked Tomba. Plus I think he was rumored to be DLC for the first game...?
Well, I had Klonoa in my mind at first (with even connections), but decided to re-submit this for my friend instead since this was rarely discussed on a PS All-Stars fandom (unlike Klonoa, who was often suggested as his opponent in Death Battle).

I see Tomba as a fitting rival for Rayman not only because of interaction potential considering their wacky worlds, but also as it would work as a nice contrast from a previous rivalry, while Rayman and Tomba are 1990's cartoony platform characters on PS1, the first console of an PlayStation brand.

They're also jungle-related (Tomba's feralness and some levels/worlds in Rayman's games), has similar weapons/techniques (blackjack & boomerang/telescopic fist by charging/properties for both & Lockjaw as a chained weapon, grapple/grappling fist, Animal Dash/sprinting, umbrella/helicopter hair, Pig Ball/Vortex for shrinking enemies, etc.) & suits that grant them different powers (Rayman's case in handheld versions of Raving Rabbids and minorly Laser-Washing Powders in Rayman 3), their graphics evolving from 2D sprites to 3D models in 1999's sequels, and most overlookingly, are involved with pigs, which may work out for their cutscene as Tomba acts hostile towards pigs, while Rayman is friendly to them in Raving Rabbids.

Also, we may get a upgrade gimmick for his weapons. For his Supers, Tomba would capture an opponent and throw them into a Pig Bag which bounces around the stage and spit them out with big damage, summon the Furious Tornado from one of the first quests (Clear the Fog) to blow opponents away and finally, release the Evil Pigs from a Evil Pig Bag by shaking it as they cause a storm and use their magical attacks from both games akin to Fat Princess's.

Edit: What's incredible is that Whoopee Camp is still apparently on business as their logo showed up in the credits of Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection, and considering that it's founder Tokuro Fujiwara (creator/producer of many Capcom series such as GnG, Resident Evil, etc.), has directed the game itself and still called it's CEO.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Joel & Ellie moveset

Joel and Ellie aren't two separate characters moving independently like the Ice Climbers; they are one unit, so they share damage, and knockback affects both equally. Ellie follows Joel closely, sometimes watching his back and sometimes stepping ahead of him to attack. For descriptive purposes, "forward" is where Joel is looking.

Their walking and running speeds are subpar (partly for balancing, partly so that it looks natural that neither lags behind the other - they move tactically). The aerial jump isn't great. Their defense is high.

They also have a special mechanic: when grabbed, the attacker will grab onto Joel as an animation plays of Ellie trying to wrest them away. If J&E break out of the grab Ellie will stab the attacker with her switchblade during the breakaway animation, dealing damage.

[] Moves - these are Joel attacks. They all pack a punch but have notable endlag unless specified
Neutral [] - Punch Combo
Joel throws a right hook. If tapped he'll throw a left uppercut and then a strong blow to the stomach area. The first two leave the opponent briefly stunned while the last one has big knockback.
Up [] - Revolver
Joel fires his revolver diagonally upwards. Short range but high stopping power. This is his one move without much endlag due to how situational it is.
Side [] - 2x4
Joel slams vertically downward with a 2x4. Like with Punch he can combo it into a side swipe and then a powerful strike to the head. Each strike is devastating but unlike the punch, the 2x4's attacks have long windup animations so fast opponents will be able to dodge out of the way, this move should ideally be used in conjunction with Ellie's attacks (∆) to keep the enemy in the chain. The 2x4 can be used 5 times before breaking and needing to be repaired (Down O).
Down [] - Machete
A downward slice with a machete. Much quicker than the Punch and 2x4 but its range is shorter. Spikes.

O moves - these moves use the various craftable items in TLoU. These have a special property where tapping O will have Joel toss the item forward and holding O will have Ellie throw it backwards.
Neutral O - Trap Mine
Joel/Ellie throws a Trap Mine, the range of the throw is very long. Explodes on proximity, and deals high damage, but the blast radius is small so it will likely just damage one fighter.
Up O - Molotov Cocktail
Joel/Ellie throws a Molotov Cocktail in a high arc. Spreads flames when it shatters and also does big damage upon impact.
Side O - Bottle
Joel tosses a bottle. Does minimal damage but stuns the opponent. Most useful to close distance in order to start a combo. Sometimes (15% chance, or 1 in 7 uses) Joel will throw a Brick instead, which actually does some damage.
Since this move would be useless backwards, Ellie instead gets a "Back Special" in Stun Bomb. Ellie throws a Stun Bomb (medium range, mostly flat arc) which, as its name implies, stuns enemies within a certain radius.
Down O - Crafting
Joel and Ellie crouch and dig though their backpacks. An animation plays in which they both appear to be crafting something. This move repairs Joel's 2x4 and restocks Ellie's arrows, but will produce a different result if either is maxed out. For the 2x4 this move will upgrade it, adding spikes and nails and making the attack even deadlier. For the Bow this will build 8 explosive arrows that cause the burn status effect (damage over time).

∆ moves - these are Ellie attacks. They generally do less damage but make up for it with good frame data
Neutral ∆ - Bow
Ellie draws her bow and fires forward. If held down she'll tense the bowstring, granting the attack longer range and damage, and can be aimed (headshots multiply damage, though this would have to be balanced depending on the character so that cartoony characters aren't at a huge disadvantage). If tapped she'll fire quickly, sacrificing range, damage and accuracy. The move still has stopping power and can be spammed relatively quickly so this is useful in an emergency or to link attacks in a combo. Ellie can use this 8 times before running out of arrows which will need to be crafted (Down O).
Up ∆ - Jump Slice
Joel gives Ellie a boost, she jumps upwards and slashes. A very fast attack and their only melee anti-air. Can juggle.
Side ∆ - Stab
Ellie reaches forward and stabs with her switchblade. It has the longest reach of all of her attacks (and all of Joel's, barring the Punch) so it's a good combo starter.
Down ∆ - Takedown
A command grab. If successful Ellie slashes at the knees of her opponent with her switchblade before a stab to the gut. Crumples opponents and does medium damage (less than Machete). If done when the opponent has their back to Ellie the damage is raised by a lot, making this one of the most damaging moves in their arsenal.

Grabs and throws would use the various stealth takedown and hostage taking animations from the two games.

Supers:
Level 1: Flamethrower
Joel gets a flamethrower and torches anyone in its range.
Level 2: Callus
Ellie and Joel get on Ellie's horse, Callus, which she can control to trample opponents for a brief time.
Level 3: Endure and Survive
Joel tells Ellie to cover him and Ellie leaves the stage for the foreground, where the player can aim her hunting rifle to shoot anyone in sight.

The idea of Joel & Ellie's moveset is that the player is at a disadvantage with crowds and needs to play defensively. Their [] and ∆ moves are designed to punish attackers, with the O moves used for stage control and traps. The ideal way to play as them is to mix and match Joel and Ellie's attacks to make up for the disadvantages of each, which is meant to reflect the teamwork and camaraderie that they build in TLoU1.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Sorry for the double post

For the last character I was at a loss for ideas. Selene was the only real "must-have" in my view, so I felt free to nominate anyone. Since the character is Rayman's rival I think they should be cartoony as well. But also as the last character I wanted a character with a feeling of finality.

So I wondered "what's the first Sony game?" Long story short, there isn't a first game but rather a launch lineup of several titles. But that's how I came up with my idea:

The Last DLC Character: Lemmings
kisspng-playstation-vita-lemmings-video-games-character-los-lemmings-invadirn-hoy-tu-ps-vita-a...png

Lemmings should need no introduction right? They hail from the classic puzzle-platformer game where you command several little, independently moving creatures to manipulate the terrain in order to guide them safely to their goal. The first game alone has sold over 20 million copies and spawned a series, with many copycats following.

Lemmings as a fighter could range from the obvious (one sole Lemming using the abilities of the many types of Lemming) to something more out there (however you would implement a line of Lemmings walking around and fighting). For a quick rundown of the basic things Lemmings could do in the first game: they can dig down into the ground, climb walls, fall slowly using umbrellas, block passage for other Lemmings, build staircases, mine with a pickaxe, bash with a hammer, and of course, self destruct in an explosion.

The main reason I picked them is because they're not just part of the launch lineup for the PS1; they actually predate PlayStation. The Lemmings were created during the 90s and were the property of Psygnosis. Psygnosis was originally an independent developer and publisher before being bought out by Sony before the launch of the PS1, where they were incredibly instrumental in its success. They put out games that showcased the technical capacities of the system (like WipeOut and Colony Wars), and also made dev kits for the console. They were so large and prolific that they self-published games even under the ownership of Sony (much like Atlus does today). This not only makes Lemmings one of the oldest IP Sony owns, but also representative of a side of the company that doesn't get much credit nowadays (Psygnosis was later renamed Sony Liverpool and eventually shut down).

I think Lemmings work as a rival for Rayman for many reasons. They're both cartoony, both European creations, both started out on more obscure hardware (the Amiga and the Jaguar) before making their way to the PS1. I imagine that their rivalry would come naturally as the Lemmings would remind Rayman of the Rabbids, and would start a fight with him through cartoony antics and slapstick.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I believe the music section's up to date now, though the following series on the base roster don't have music yet:
Uncharted
PaRappa
Tomb Raider
Legend of Dragoon
Gravity Rush
Astro's Playroom
Horizon Zero Dawn
Ghost of Tsushima
Fat Princess
MediEvil
Ape Escape
Doko Demo Issyo
Spyro
Folklore
Oddworld
Knack
inFamous
Control
Killzone
The Last of Us

...and most of the DLC series. (Shadow of the Colossus being the exception)

Not sure how well many of these series lend themselves to music tracks, but I'm sure we can come up with plenty for PaRappa the Rapper (even if they're instrumental versions) or Uncharted at the very least. (in addition, plenty of other series that I didn't list could use some expanding - Tekken has only one song so far)

Metal Gear Solid:

-Rules of Nature (Metal Gear Rising - also, how the heck did Smash not get ANY Metal Gear Rising music?)
-Encounter (Metal Gear Solid)
-Duel (Metal Gear Solid)
-VR Training (Metal Gear Solid)
-Metal Gear Solid Main Theme (Metal Gear Solid 2)
-Yell Dead Cell (MGS2)
-Snake Eater (MGS3)
-Takin' on the Shagohod (MGS3)
-Snake vs. Monkey (MGS3)
-Old Snake (MGS4)
-Rex vs. Ray (MGS4)
-Metal Gear Saga (MGS4)
-I'm My Own Master Now (Metal Gear Rising)
-A Stranger I Remain (MGR)
-Collective Consciousness (MGR)
-It Has To Be This Way (MGR)
-Heavens Divide (Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker)
-Sins of the Father (Metal Gear Solid V)
-Quiet's Theme (MGSV)
-Sahelanthropus Dominion (MGSV)

I'm nowhere near as familiar with the other franchises as I am with Metal Gear, though Nate's Theme from Uncharted should definitely be in here.

Also, I've updated Rivet to change her level 3 Super, now that the game's came out and I've seen footage of the ending.
Probably because Metal Gear Rising wouldn't fit with the atmosphere of Shadow Moses? I honestly don't know however my idea could be the reasoning or maybe Sakurai doesn't wanna support any of the later games after Guns of the Patriots in terms of music.

Good Thing i added one track from Rising on my Smash Ultimate Deluxe Concept.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Here are our nominations for the last DLC character:

-Zidane Tribal (Final Fantasy IX) ( Megadoomer Megadoomer )
-Monokuma (Danganronpa) ( Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule )
-Carl "CJ" Johnson (Grand Theft Auto) ( Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario )
-Tomba (Tomba!) ( tonygameman tonygameman )
-Kazuma Kiryu (Yakuza) ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
-Shadow the Hedgehog (Sonic the Hedgehog) ( ivanlerma ivanlerma )
-Lemmings (Lemmings) ( GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 )

As usual, vote for your top three, and you can only put your own nomination in second or third.

1. Lemmings
2. Zidane
3. Kazuma Kiryu

---

I'm going to look into music options for some of the series involved in the game and post them at some point throughout the day. I figure that today's Smash presentation will help with Tekken music, at least, and I'll see what I can find for Uncharted or Tomb Raider music.

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
1. Shadow
2. Tomba
3. Lemmings

I'll try to help out with Rayman memories/music whenever I can (considering that I have a summer vacation next month for being a young adult).

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've added some music to the opening post:

Uncharted

-Nate's Theme
-Atlantis of the Sands

Crash Bandicoot
  1. N. Sanity Beach (Crash Bandicoot 1)
  2. The Time Twister (Crash Bandicoot 3)
  3. Cortex Battle (Crash Bandicoot 1)
  4. The High Road (Crash Bandicoot 1)
  5. Hog Ride (Crash Bandicoot 3)
  6. Out For Launch (Crash Bandicoot 4)
  7. Snow Go (Crash Bandicoot 2)
  8. Rock It (Crash Bandicoot 2)
  9. Dingodile Theme (Crash Bandicoot 3)
  10. Crate Balls of Fire (Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex)
  11. Crash Compactor (Crash Bandicoot 4)

Resident Evil
  1. Theme of Leon - Mercenaries (Resident Evil 4)
  2. Save Heaven (Resident Evil)
Nier Automata

-Weight of the World

Tekken (I took the songs that will be added to Smash with Kazuya and went one song per game for the most part)

-Marine Stadium, Japan (Tekken 1)
-Emotionless Passion (Tekken 2)
-Jin Kazama (Tekken 3)
-Jin Stage (Tekken Tag Tournament)
-Bit Crusher (Tekken 4)
-Moonlit Wilderness (Tekken 5)
-Snow Castle (Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection)
-Only One Fight (Tekken 6)
-Dust Thins Out (Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion)
-Yodeling in Meadow Hill (Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion)
-Abyss of Time (Tekken Tag Tournament 2)
-New World Order (Tekken Revolution)
-Infinite Azure Round 1/Moonsiders 1st (Tekken 7)

Castlevania:

-Vampire Killer
-Bloody Tears
-Clockwork
-Demon Seed
-Bloodlines
-Illusionary Dance
-Prologue
-Marble Gallery

I'm going to look into songs to add for other series (particularly the ones that don't have any) and post them over time, though if anyone has suggestions, that would help a lot.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The final results are...

Monokuma: 2
CJ: 4
Shadow: 4
Zidane: 5
Kiryu: 5
Lemmings: 7
Tomba: 9

This means that Tomba will be our final DLC character! Hard to believe that it's been almost three months since this whole thing started.

---

We're going to nominate our final DLC stage today - I'll nominate a previously-submitted idea (not one of mine) because I like it and I feel like both franchises could use a stage here:
Temen-ni-gru (Devil May Cry x Tekken)

this is a Tower from Devil May Cry, the stage would be comparable to Kalos Pokemon league in it's layout only much larger and the appearance would be taken from the top of the tower (See Picture). In the background you can see the Devil May Cry Van with Nero, Lucia, and Nico standing around it battle the many Demons like Sin Scissors and Empusa in the background.

After a while Devil Jin and Devil Kazuya will appear

They will duke it out and their battle causes a lot of collateral damage to the background and even a bit into the foreground, the scene ends when either of them win and the victor drops the loser off the roof, The victor then leaves.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Time for one final stage proposal:

Heavy Rain (Heavy Rain/Rain)

The stage would take place on and around the old warehouse where the final chapter of Heavy Rain takes place. I'm imagining a layout similar to Onett, with broken down rafters on the side of the warehouse serving as makeshift platforms, along with a conveyor belt like the one pictured above. The ground is flat, with one cop car as part of the stage's layout. Aesthetically the warehouse would be surrounded by police, and the background would feature another conveyor belt with Norman and Shelby duking it out. The rain would be exaggerated, cel shaded and with a special effect to denote when it's hitting a fighter, for reasons you'll soon see.

Eventually it would abruptly turn into nighttime (the rain would be designed to stand out better against the night sky). The "stage invasion" would take the form of the Unknown, an invisible monster from the 2013 puzzle game Rain, that can only be seen when the rain falls on it. It'd roam the stage slowly and deal a deathly blow to players unfortunate enough to run into it (think the Ultimate Chimera but in a smaller stage). The conveyor belt and other platforms would block the rain, and players who are out of the rain are immune to the Unknown, so it would quickly become a fight for those precious safe spaces.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Our last stage, going by the poll, is the Temen-Ni-Gru from Devil May Cry, and with that, we're done with formal nominations, three months to the day after this started! I'll leave the thread open, so if anyone wants to post ideas for movesets, music, etc., feel free to do so.

Thanks to everyone for taking part in this! It's been a lot of fun, and while I can't speak for anyone else, it got me to look into franchises or series that I might not have considered otherwise.

Last edited:
Top Bottom