• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: PlayStation All Stars 2

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I initially thought that veterans would get in naturally as time went on, but I can see why leaving them out would be seen as a barrier. My big concern is that I'm not sure how many of them were/are popular - one recurring criticism of the original game is that, despite being called PlayStation All Stars, it was missing a lot of PlayStation all-stars and many of the choices seemed random or obviously promotional, and that seemed to show when we had people vote on which veterans to include. Over a third of the veterans got no votes whatsoever, though I don't know how much of that was due to those characters not being popular picks and how much of it was due to people not thinking that they should be part of the initial announcement.
While I can't say much about the concrete popularity of every character, I think the character selection for the first game wasn't as bad as most people make it up to be. I'd say a lot of the heat comes from fans who didn't get their most wanted third-party characters. Most criticism the roster got was either from characters from already represented franchises (Zeus, Evil Cole), a few PS3 picks that didn't age well (Emmett Graves, Nariko), and questionable guest character choices.

I'd say most of the roster had pretty good reasons to be there. You had a good amount of must-haves (Sly Cooper, Jak & Daxter), characters from popular franchises (Cole Macgrath, Sweet Tooth), classic PS picks (Sir Daniel, Spike), and weird additions that fit the tone and make a lot of retroactive sense (Fat Princess, Toro).

Veteran votes (at least the way we did) are not a particularly good indication of which characters are popular or should be added. We only did dedicated voting for them once and it was for our big initial announcement. Anecdotal evidence, but for example, I avoided nominating my favorites and instead went for bigger or exciting characters.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
If the veterans deserve to come back, they will win the voting polls without receiving special privileges for being veterans.
Arguably, being veterans already gives them a special privilege: a boost in notoriety compared to characters who weren't included. I don't even know what platform Fat Princess debuted on, much less the full name of her game; the original All-Stars is the only reason I know her at all. She's the Roy of the All-Stars roster.

If we truly want to give the veterans an advantage for consideration, we should set a minimum veteran quota for the final roster. We will proceed with voting for characters irrespective of their potential veteranship, until the number of available slots in the roster is equal or lesser to the number of veterans required to meet this quota. Then, and only then, will we vote for veterans exclusively. If we go over this quota, that means the original roster had enough genuine All-Stars to stand the test of time.

As the new roster contains 5 veterans and is one-third complete, I propose a quota of 15 veterans.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If the veterans deserve to come back, they will win the voting polls without receiving special privileges for being veterans.
That's the point though, veterans are dominating most of our prompts. People aren't discussing separating veterans to give them a better shot, it's to give every other character one lol

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
That's the point though, veterans are dominating most of our prompts. People aren't discussing separating veterans to give them a better shot, it's to give every other character one lol
That's because we only have 5 veterans so far. We still have 24 more slots to assign. And even if more than half of the new roster is comprised of veterans, would that be so unusual?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Ratchet and Clank won yesterday's poll, so they're coming back.

The first job today will be picking a horror character. We've got nine choices to pick from:

-Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil) ( Megadoomer Megadoomer )
-Ellie (The Last of Us) ( CapitaineCrash CapitaineCrash )
-Ignatius Blackward (Nightmare Creatures) ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
-Isaac Clarke (Dead Space) ( osby osby )
-Pyramid Head (Silent Hill) ( Yokta Yokta )
-The Survivors (Dead By Daylight) ( ivanlerma ivanlerma )
-Joel (The Last of Us) ( GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 )
-Freddy Fazbear (Five Nights At Freddy's) ( Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario )
-Makoto Naegi (Danganronpa) ( CheeseAnton CheeseAnton )

I know next to nothing about Danganronpa, and beyond "visual novel", there seems to be some debate on its genre. Unless anyone objects to its inclusion, I'll allow it; from what I can tell, it does seem to have horror elements.

We got much more nominations than what I was expecting (there was a slow start, but it really picked up), so we'll include the top two and let the next job have an odd number. As usual, vote for your top three, and your own nomination can only be in third.

My vote:

1. Pyramid Head
2. Ellie
3. Leon

---

For the second job, we'll pick the top three veterans that we want to see return. The top five overall will be brought back - that way, we'll have confirmed about half of the roster from the previous game. (others might make it in later, or we could have another veteran vote if people feel like we're still missing some key veterans) As a reminder, the veterans who haven't returned yet are...
  • Heihachi Mishima (Tekken)
  • Sweet Tooth (Twisted Metal)
  • Sir Daniel Fortesque (MediEvil)
  • Spike (Ape Escape)
  • Toro (Doko Demo Issyo)
  • Dante (Devil May Cry) (much like with Kratos, if he gets in, we’d vote on what game he’d be based on)
  • Raiden (Metal Gear)
  • Jak and Daxter
  • Sly Cooper
  • Zeus (God of War)
  • Big Daddy (BioShock)
  • Nariko (Heavenly Sword)
  • Isaac Clarke (Dead Space)
  • Colonel Radec (Killzone)
  • Cole McGrath (inFamous)
  • Evil Cole McGrath (inFamous)
  • Fat Princess
  • Emmett Graves (Starhawk)
For Isaac Clarke, I'm not sure whether it would be better to remove him from one of the polls or deal with the situation of him being in both if he happens to get into the top two for horror characters and the top five for veterans.

My vote will be:

1. Heihachi
2. Dante
3. Sir Daniel

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Horror Game Vote
  1. The Survivors
  2. Pyramid Head
  3. Makoto Naegi
Honorable mention to Isaac Clarke, I just have too much of a Dead by Daylight bias (I've been playing for 2 years, and to this day still love the story and design of the game). Realistically I don't think they should even be in, but I just can't care, dude, I want to see them in a fighting game.

Returning Characters:
  1. Fat Princess (she's basically the mascot of PSASBR with how much people talk about her in their reviews)
  2. Sly Cooper
  3. Spike

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Horror Job:
  1. Ignatius
  2. Makoto
  3. Pyramid Head
Veteran Job:
  1. Sir Daniel
  2. Jak & Daxter
  3. Heihachi
Also, kinda feeling silly for not bringing this up during the mechanics job, but what if this game had MvC style tag team mechanics?

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Ratchet and Clank won yesterday's poll, so they're coming back.

The first job today will be picking a horror character. We've got nine choices to pick from:

-Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil) ( Megadoomer Megadoomer )
-Ellie (The Last of Us) ( CapitaineCrash CapitaineCrash )
-Ignatius Blackward (Nightmare Creatures) ( cashregister9 cashregister9 )
-Isaac Clarke (Dead Space) ( osby osby )
-Pyramid Head (Silent Hill) ( Yokta Yokta )
-The Survivors (Dead By Daylight) ( ivanlerma ivanlerma )
-Joel (The Last of Us) ( GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 )
-Freddy Fazbear (Five Nights At Freddy's) ( Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario )
-Makoto Naegi (Danganronpa) ( CheeseAnton CheeseAnton )

I know next to nothing about Danganronpa, and beyond "visual novel", there seems to be some debate on its genre. Unless anyone objects to its inclusion, I'll allow it; from what I can tell, it does seem to have horror elements.

We got much more nominations than what I was expecting (there was a slow start, but it really picked up), so we'll include the top two and let the next job have an odd number. As usual, vote for your top three, and your own nomination can only be in third.

My vote:

1. Pyramid Head
2. Ellie
3. Leon

---

For the second job, we'll pick the top three veterans that we want to see return. The top five overall will be brought back - that way, we'll have confirmed about half of the roster from the previous game. (others might make it in later, or we could have another veteran vote if people feel like we're still missing some key veterans) As a reminder, the veterans who haven't returned yet are...
  • Heihachi Mishima (Tekken)
  • Sweet Tooth (Twisted Metal)
  • Sir Daniel Fortesque (MediEvil)
  • Spike (Ape Escape)
  • Toro (Doko Demo Issyo)
  • Dante (Devil May Cry) (much like with Kratos, if he gets in, we’d vote on what game he’d be based on)
  • Raiden (Metal Gear)
  • Jak and Daxter
  • Sly Cooper
  • Zeus (God of War)
  • Big Daddy (BioShock)
  • Nariko (Heavenly Sword)
  • Isaac Clarke (Dead Space)
  • Colonel Radec (Killzone)
  • Cole McGrath (inFamous)
  • Evil Cole McGrath (inFamous)
  • Fat Princess
  • Emmett Graves (Starhawk)
For Isaac Clarke, I'm not sure whether it would be better to remove him from one of the polls or deal with the situation of him being in both if he happens to get into the top two for horror characters and the top five for veterans.

My vote will be:

1. Heihachi
2. Dante
3. Sir Daniel
1. Ellie
2. Joel
3. Leon

1. Big Daddy
2. Dante
3. Sly Cooper

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think the horror voting is going to be interesting as most of the nominations aren't conventional fighters. Anyways, here are my votes:

1. Makoto Naegi (I know a lot of people would prefer Monokumo but CheeseAnton CheeseAnton really sold the character to me. Plus, he'd definitely be a unique pick)
  2. Ignatius Blackwell (He seems to be a character who can be a surprisingly good addition. I dig his game's aesthetic and you don't see a horror game character this physical every day)
  3. Isaac Clarke (shameless self vote)

Deciding which veterans to vote for was harder but these are my top 3 picks:

1. Fat Princess (I still think she was one of the most creative and fun additions to the first game)
  2. Toro Inoue (come on, he's the mascot of Playstation, he has to be in)
  3. Sir Daniel Fortesque (It feels like a good time to bring him back with a new MediEvil on the way)

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
For horror I vote:

1. Leon Kennedy: Resident evil clearly deserve a spot on the roster and while Leon wouldn't have been my first pick, I'd take anything from that franchise
2. Pyramid head: I never played Silent hill but he's a very iconic characters and I like a lot his design.
3. Isaac Clarke: When he was announced as dlc in the first game my reaction was like: "wtf?" But looking back into it I think he made a lot of sense: Dead space was a pretty big franchise for the 7th generation console and he start to grew on me.

For the veteran:
1. Sly Cooper
2. Jak and Daxter
3. Dante

Sly and Jak were always my favorite of the ps2 platformer trio. While both franchise are dormant, both still have a pretty big fanbase (especially Jak, recently I saw a lot of tweet asking Naughty dog to remake Jak and Daxter instead of the rumored Last of us remake). Dante was always one of my favorite too and with the success of the 5, now is even a better time to add him in the roster.

Looking back into it I don't think the roster for the first game was that bad. The third party choice were actually pretty nice and there was a good mix of classic psx characters and modern ps3 characters.

Also, I'm still working on a moveset for Astro. It's taking me a bit more time that what I thought, because the character itself doesn't do a lot in the game so I need some good imaginations for some moves but it should be done eventually.

Also, kinda feeling silly for not bringing this up during the mechanics job, but what if this game had MvC style tag team mechanics?
I think this could be fun but maybe more as an option rather than the whole game being tag team.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
My Horror Votes

Leon S. Kennedy: While i prefer Jill as a Resident Evil Rep for this game, i considerable favor leon a little more mainly for the 4th entry(the only game i played in the series)
Pyramid Head: Would be workable for a horror rep and represent silent hill. I'd put this iconic monster to be in the unique category for fighting game wants too.
The Survivors: I know i keep putting this one on my list, but i know that not everyone will give these characters the time of day, so i'm still going to root for them none the less.

Honorable Mentions: Joel from The Last of Us(Rather have Elli be paired with him then having her represent her own game alone)
My Veteran Votes

Sweet Tooth: Twisted Metal was one of playstation's popular series back in the day so it's legacy shouldn't be ignored.
Fat Princess: I agree with the fact that this character seems to be one of the faces from this game and made the roster stand out a little more
Toro the Cat: He was Playstation's Japanese Mascot, He deserves to return here.

Honorable Mentions: Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, Colonel Radec, Cole Mcgrath, Spike, and Sir Daniel.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Interesting idea but I'm not sure how would this even work in a platform fighter with up to four players onscreen.

TheThingamajigRayman

Smash Journeyman
HORROR NEWCOMERS

1. Freddy Fazbear
FNaF is a big series. And with Security Breach being exclusive to PlayStation consoles whenever it releases, it makes sense.
2. Leon
Never played Resident Evil, but I know it's a significant and iconic series, and connected to PS, so I feel Leon deserves to be included.
3. Pyramid Head
Nothing to say here, really. It's Silent Hill.

VETERANS

1. Jak and Daxter
They were iconic during the PS2 era. Plus there series of games are cool. They deserve to return, to me at least.
2. Sly Cooper
Pretty much the same thing as Jak and Daxter. Sly's cool too.
3. Spike
Ape Escape's cool, and I feel Spike deserves to return.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I think this could be fun but maybe more as an option rather than the whole game being tag team.
Interesting idea but I'm not sure how would this even work in a platform fighter with up to four players onscreen.
My current control suggestions don't have room for a tag team button. But if there was, here's how I think it would work:
Each player chooses a preset number of unique fighters, up to a maximum of 8. In battle, they can switch to another fighter by holding the Switch button and pressing Up/Down. The current character will blink out of the map once they escape any hitstun or other paralysis effects, and their replacement will appear in the same location.
Each character has their own health bar and one stock, but the Super meter is shared among a player's team. If a fighter's health depletes, they're out of the game. When a character switches out, they will be able to heal some of the damage they've taken over time while not in play, but the player won't be able to switch again for a few seconds.
If you hold down the Switch and Super buttons simultaneously while pressing up or down, the respective fighter will show up to use their Level 1 Super if you have enough meter for it. They'll return to your reserves after using the move, but they won't do so immediately, meaning that they can be attacked if they are not protected. Using any Super will also initiate the switching cooldown, and you also can't use a Super at all during this cooldown.
A Tag-Team exclusive item will heal all of a player's fighters. Other items only affect the fighter on the field, and when they switch, they pass the item to their replacement.
The HUD will show the player's active fighter and their health, as well as the health of the fighters ahead of and behind them in the team. Any additional members are represented with icons, which show no health info besides glowing red at low health, sparkling while healing and greying out when KO'd.

Addendum: What if the Block button served as the Switch button in this ruleset? Switching characters could have the same parameters as a spot-dodge.

Last edited:

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
As of post #344, the scores in points for horror and veteran characters are...

Horror-

Pyramid Head: 15

Leon Kennedy: 16

Ellie: 13

Joel: 9

Isaac Clarke: 8

Makoto Naegi: 6, Ignatius Blackwell: 6

Freddy Fazbear: 5

Survivors: 4

------------------------------
Veterans-

Fat Princess: 13

Sly Cooper: 12

Sir Daniel: 9, Spike: 9

Dante: 8, Jak & Daxter: 8

Heihachi: 6, Toro Inoue: 6, Sweet Tooth: 6

Big Daddy: 4

Cole McGrath: 3

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Finally, I managed to finish the moveset from Astro bot. I link some videos for some moves if you haven't played the games and want to see more clearly how it could look like.

Astro bot moveset

General: Astro bot can glide for some time if you hold the jump button using his beams under him

The square moves are based on physical attacks and weaker attacks that Astro do in his original games

Neutral square: Punch. A two punch combos, like his normal square attacks in his games

Side square: Balloon throw. Astro pick up a balloon and throw him. This act like a projectile and his based on the balloons that Astro can pick up in the first game.

Up square: Beam charge. Astro use his beams to launch himself upwards and attack the enemies in the air (like Sackboy up triangle with the jetpack). (This isn’t directly based on something that he does in the game, but I feel like it makes sense that he could do that).

Down square: Spin attack. Astro spin rapidly, causing damages to anyone near. This move must be charged and the more you charged it, the more it lasts and gives damage (based on his charged square in his games)

Triangle moves: Those moves are based on Astro’s transformations in Astro’s playroom and on general VR stuff from Astro bot rescue mission.

Neutral triangle: Machine gun. Astro pick up the machine gun from Astro’s playroom. He must charge it, and it then shoots many bullets fastly. Machine gun video

Side triangle: Jetpack. Astro jumps into the big jetpack from Astro’s playroom. Instead of going up like in the game it goes sideway. The move must be charged and the more it’s charged, the further Astro go, dealing damages to enemies he touches on his way. He then jumps out of it. Jetpack video

Up triangle: Hopping. Astro jumps in the frog-like suit from Astro’s playroom. Like the jetpack, this move must be charged. The more you charged it, the higher Astro jumps, dealing damage to enemies in the air. Frog video

Down triangle: VR headbutt. Astro puts an impact plate on the ground. If an enemy step on it, a big robot will slam his head on the ground. Only one of the impact plates can be put at the time. The big robot headbutt is powerful, but a bit slow so even if someone step on the plate, he could still dodge the attack. This move his based on the fact that in Astro bot rescue mission, the player (who is the camera) can headbutt some plates to interact with the environments or attack enemies. Video of the plate and the headbutt (it's hard to really understand it with the video but imagine you're in VR and your head is the camera).

Circle moves: Those moves are based on the gadgets from Astro bot rescue mission. For those moves, Astro uses a small Dualshock 4 controller. In the game, Astro don’t use those moves directly but it’s the player, so I adapt them for Astro.

Neutral circle: Shuriken. A shuriken is thrown from the controller. This is a faster projectile than the balloon, but it deals less damage. Shuriken video

Side circle: Water gun. Water is thrown from the Dualshock 4. It doesn’t deal damage, but it pushes enemy. This one has a limit of usage (to avoid that Astro just camp).

Up circle: Hook shot. The hook is thrown upwards from the controller. If it hits an enemy, it will grab him and attract him to the ground in front of Astro. It if touches a platform, the hook will grab it and the rope will act like a platform for a short period of time. Level that showcase the hook shot.

Down circle: Flashlight. This move must be charged. The flashlight will make a big flash, stunning the enemies near Astro.

Special moves:

Level 1
: Laser. Astro pulls out the Dualshock 4 and a big laser comes out of it (the same one that the player uses in the final boss battle of Rescue mission). This has a pretty big range and deals big damage to enemies it touches. Laser on final boss

Level 2: Rolling ball. Astro transforms into the ball from Astro’s playroom and rolls in it for some time. The player controls it and it gives damage to enemies it touches. Rolling ball video

Level 3: Spaceship’s crew. A short cutscene play and you see Astro’s spaceship flying in direction of the battlefield. When it arrives, a bunch of robots jumps out of it and attack all enemies on the stages.

Taunts:

Taunt 1: Astro jumps around like he does when he finish a level in Rescue mission.
39891228403_12f092a56a_o.gif

Taunt 2: Astro puts on a VR headset but jumps out of scare and it falls. (loosely based on one of his idle animations from Rescue mission).

Taunt 3: Astro start sleeping, until he falls, and this wakes him up. (like his idle animation in Rescue mission).

Victory music: The first 7 seconds of the level clear music from Rescue mission.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm having some second thoughts regarding the amount of veterans that should be brought back. I thought five was a good amount, but you know what they say - the more the merrier. I figured that, since Sackboy, Nathan Drake, PaRappa, Ratchet, and Kat are all in the roster now, and they all had a huge lead in the previous poll, some new characters might break off from the pack, but it's a pretty close race so far.

I'm debating whether to leave it at bringing back five veterans or increase the amount to seven or nine. (Nine might be overdoing it, but I thought I should include it as an option) I'm torn, so I figure that letting everyone else have a say might help. (unless this poll somehow ends in a three-way tie)

At first, it felt like five was a good amount, but bringing back more veterans would mean that the results of future votes would be less predictable.

Also, great moveset, CapitaineCrash CapitaineCrash !

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Horror rep vote:

1. Ellie
2. Isaac Clarke
3. Joel

As you can see, my main priority is to get a Last of Us fighter in the game. Leon and RE would be cool but he's the character I least associate with PlayStation, I'd be voting differently if it was Chris or Jill or even Ethan. Pyramid Head is admittedly a good choice but the creator was adamant about Pyramid Head not becoming a context-less mascot and I'd rather respect his wishes. Danganronpa I don't really see as horror. I don't know who Ignatius is. And FNAF and Dead by Daylight... c'mon.

Now for the veterans vote. Since we're adding more characters than people can vote for, I did something I don't usually do: I checked how the votes were doing before voting myself. And... Yeah, for the most part I think those are the characters that should come back. I'd like to see someone weird like Nariko return as well but she never caught on as much as the likes of Fat Princess or Toro in terms of feeling like an essential part of the roster. So I can feel free to vote for whoever I like best!

1. Sweet Tooth: He's one of the initial four revealed so it'd be weird not to have him return.
2. Spike
3. Sly Cooper

(Btw I voted 9 on the strawpoll because by adding 9 right now I think we'll basically include all the obvious characters that would dominate votes, others like Emmett Graves or Cole McGrath would probably be on a level playing field)

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
As of post #338, the scores in points for horror and veteran characters are...

Horror-

Leon Kennedy: 14

Joel: 8

Ellie: 7

Makoto Naegi: 6, Isaac Clarke: 6

Ignatius Blackwell: 5, Freddy Fazbear: 5

Veterans-

Fat Princess: 11, Sly Cooper: 11

Dante: 8, Sir Daniel: 8, Jak & Daxter: 8

Spike: 7

Heihachi: 6, Toro Inoue: 6

You forgot Isaac Clarke and Sweet Tooth

Edit: Nevermind about Clarke, Sorry.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
As of post #344, the scores in points for horror and veteran characters are...

Horror-

Leon Kennedy: 16

Ellie: 13

Joel: 9

Isaac Clarke: 8

Makoto Naegi: 6, Ignatius Blackwell: 6

Freddy Fazbear: 5

Veterans-

Fat Princess: 13

Sly Cooper: 12

Sir Daniel: 9, Spike: 9

Dante: 8, Jak & Daxter: 8

Heihachi: 6, Toro Inoue: 6, Sweet Tooth: 6

Cole McGrath: 3
Before Tomorrow i just wanna ask if the numbers here are correct cause i just look into the number of votes myself and there's a lot of incorrect leads on here. is the number system different or was this just wrong?

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Before Tomorrow i just wanna ask if the numbers here are correct cause i just look into the number of votes myself and there's a lot of incorrect leads on here. is the number system different or was this just wrong?
Our first choice gets 3 points, our second 2 points, and our third 1 point. That's how it works in theory, but there have been miscounts in the past.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Horror results:

-The Survivors: 4
-Freddy: 5
-Makoto Naegi: 6
-Isaac Clarke: 8
-Ignatius: 8
-Joel: 9
-Ellie: 13
-Pyramid Head: 15
-Leon Kennedy: 16

Veteran results:

-Raiden: 0
-Zeus: 0
-Nariko: 0
-Isaac Clarke: 0
-Radec: 0
-Evil Cole: 0
-Emmett: 0
-Cole McGrath: 3
-Big Daddy: 4
-Sweet Tooth: 6
-Toro: 6
-Heihachi: 6
-Dante: 8
-Jak and Daxter: 8
-Spike: 9
-Sir Daniel: 9
-Sly Cooper: 12
-Fat Princess: 13

Leon Kennedy and Pyramid Head make it in for horror characters. For the veterans, five and nine were tied in the previous poll. Given that seven also got a decent amount of votes, I'm assuming that people would prefer to have more veterans return if possible, so rather than put up another near-identical poll (the only difference being that seven is absent, so all but three votes would be the same), I'm going with nine for simplicity's sake.

This means that Fat Princess, Sly Cooper, Sir Daniel, Spike, Jak and Daxter, Dante, Heihachi, Toro, and Sweet Tooth all return. I will put up a poll for which game Dante should be based on - it shouldn't make much of a difference in his moveset (which boiled down to Square = swords, Triangle = guns, and Circle = Styles, though there were a few weapons from DmC: Devil May Cry that would likely need changed), but I figure people have their preferences.

In case people aren't familiar with Devil May Cry, I've narrowed it down to three options: DMC3 (younger Dante; his appearance in Marvel vs. Capcom 3), DMC5 (older Dante; the newest game), and DmC: Devil May Cry (since it was his appearance in PSASBR).

For Heihachi, I'm assuming that people are okay with his default appearance being old man Heihachi, since there's no longer the need to promote Tekken Tag Tournament 2.

---

Rather than nominating stages based on the characters (I'll give people time to brainstorm, since there are lots of potential options), we'll make suggestions for unlockables/collectibles. In the previous game, the closest thing that there was to a history section (or a place to learn about the franchises and characters that were included in the game) was a series of brief character profiles for the playable roster, while the main things that you got from leveling up characters were icons and profile backgrounds (though there were also costumes and other cosmetics). I figure we can do better than that, or at least expand on it.

What could be added to the game as unlockables, collectibles, or something to give people a reason to keep playing it?

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I think unlockable music could be a good idea. I don't think the game could have as much music as Smash because they also need to make music transition for the stage transition, but I think it could have a second music for each stage (which, in a way, would make 4 music for each stages since each music is basically 2 music stick together).

I'm not sure if people are interested to suggest music. I saw that for some of the stages we have now, some did suggest a music, but others didn't.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It's interesting how Capcom got to be the only third party with more than one character in the game all of a sudden.

Anyway, this got a bit too long but here's my proposal on how unlockables may be handled:

Unlockables/Collectibles:

Characters:
All characters are available from the start, except for any potential characters who are the second representative of their franchise.
Stages: Any potential returning stages are unlockable by playing the arcade mode of any character who comes from the same universe as the stage. For example, if Paris returns, it can be unlocked by winning Sly or Sackboy's arcade modes. Rival Arena is unlockable with playing arcade mode 10 times. Boss Arena is unlockable by playing it with the entire cast or finishing the story mode.
Music: All stages have one unlockable track. These can be purchased from the store or unlocked by playing on that stage for a certain amount of time.
Items: Items categorized as "Epic" are not available from the start and need to be purchased.

Coins: the main currency of the game, pretty much directly taken from Astro's Playroom. Players can gain coins by winning matches and playing any of the modes. Leveling up as characters also gives a big coin bonus. These coins then can be used to purchase collectibles from the store.
Costumes: all characters have three alternate costumes. One of these costumes is available from the start. The rest can be purchased from the store or unlocked by finishing arcade mode with that character.
Minions: Similar to the first game, minions can be unlocked by reaching a certain level with their respective fighter counterparts. Additional minions can be unlocked from the store. Unlike in the first game, minions can grant certain passive abilities to the fighters like stronger gun attacks or faster-charging supers. This can be toggled on and off. They also come with a short description of the character.
Backgrounds/Icons: They function similarly, aside from their availability as purchasable items.
Artifacts: Another feature ripped off from inspired by Astro's Playroom. These are models of the characters/bosses/stages/items and some exclusive characters/objects in the game. They all include a short biography including the date and console and origin. These can be purchased from the store or earned through single-player modes and leveling up. They would also come with a dedicated Gallery Stage where the player can place them on a large, customizable stage (this can also act as a lowkey stage builder).
Achievements: Similar to challenges in Smash Bros, players can see their progress through game achievements in a dedicated mode and be rewarded with coins and screenshot "medals" for finishing them. Uniquely, this mode would also reward players for the achievements of other games in their system.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
CURRENCY
All-Stars 2 could have two types of general currency earned through playing any mode: Coins, a general purpose currency, and Emblems, a fighter-specific currency with variants unique to each fighter.
Coins may be used to buy most collectables and certain types of gear. Emblems may be used to buy collectibles and gear relevant to the respective fighter.
Exchange: There is a direct correlation between the value of coins and emblems. You can buy emblems directly with an equal value of coins, but the emblems you get will be random. You can also exchange emblems for coins, but you will lose a slight amount of value in the exchange.
COLLECTABLES
Memories:
Memories are 3D models of important characters, objects, settings and events in the games of the All-Stars and the Playstation catalogue in general. Each model has a brief animation, akin to a PS2 save, and a low-res icon, akin to a PS1 save. They also come with brief text bios.
Tracks: Music from the games of the All-Stars and the Playstation catalogue in general. These tracks can be played in the Music player, and groovier tracks may be accompanied by a dancing fighter.
Videos: Various videos associated with Playstation and the All-Stars, including: story cutscenes, fighter interviews, replay showcases, trailers for classic Playstation consoles and games, and more!

GEAR
Minions: Chibified support characters make a return to cheer on their fighter in battle. There's also a special mode where you can train your minions to grow stronger, fight other minions, and even support your fighter with power-ups in an exclusive battle event.
Taunts: Special animations with no practical battle applications, used to express personality. Each fighter starts with one, but you can buy many more and equip up to 5 at once.
Panels: A custom appearance of the fighter HUD. The color and shape of the health bars and Super meter will never change, but the surrounding elements can be incredibly diverse.
Quotes: Brief phrases which accompany a taunt, or at the start and finish of a battle, when playing online. Generic phrases are available from the start, but more iconic phrases from Playstation history may be purchased.
Skins: Total cosmetic overhauls of a character, ranging from a palette swap to an entirely new character. Four skins are available by default, with plenty more to unlock for each character.
Voices: Some fighters are voiced in multiple languages, and a few have more than one voice in a single language! You can set each fighter's voice individually.
The voice you choose is the voice your online opponent hears, even if they set a different language! (There is an option to force all voices to your own settings.)

Collectables will be made available at random in the game's shop. Gear may be purchased directly in the Customisation menu, although the shop will highlight a couple of Gear items. Some items require Emblems from multiple fighters, and some items cannot be purchased at all, only unlocked.

UNLOCKABLES
All-Stars 2 could have features that require effort to unlock.
Roster: Only 15 fighters are available at the start of the game: the six fighters revealed at launch, and a fighter from each remaining rival pair. The remaining fighters may be unlocked in Story Mode, or by using their rival in the game's other modes. In the latter case, the unlock conditions are varied, but can be fulfilled with any fighter who has yet to unlock their rival.
Stages: Almost all of the stages require unlocking, but most are easy to unlock. Usually all you need to do is use a character's Level 3 Super.
Modes: Only a couple of modes require unlocking:
Fusion Frenzy, a series of battles against every Fusion Boss from Classic Mode;
Boss Rush, a series of battles against every major boss from Story Mode;
Grand Tour, a series of battles against every fighter in the roster; and
Final Climax, a gruelling series of battles incorporating every fight from the previous three modes culminating in a unique superboss.

DLC
Future additional content will be delivered in packs, each including a pair of rivals with a stage, as well as a wealth of collectables and gear to unlock.

Last edited:

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I was two points off with Ignatius. Megadoomer counts them anyway. I am just trying to make the task easier.

Top Bottom