• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: PlayStation All Stars 2

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Stage idea: Dingo's Diner

A stage from Crash Bandicoot 4, situated near Dingodile's diner in the bayou. The main stage is a boardwalk above the water falling into disrepair. Metal pipes serve as narrow elevated platforms, and the aquatic wildlife will gradually damage fighters who stay in the water for too long. The titular diner is seen in the background, but only for a minute or so.
Shortly after the first KO, Dingodile will run past, just in time to see his diner explode. As he runs into the wreckage, a dimensional rift appears and swallows him up! But this rift didn't come from Crash's multiverse...

From this rift, monsters and mooks from the universe of Ratchet and Clank come pouring out, waging war with the native fauna and citizens. Swamp creatures squirm into the water and chase out the gators and piranha, and Dr Nefarious' robot Tyrrhanoids battle the mobsters who destroyed Dingo's Diner. Captain Qwark also pops out to fire a few shots, ultimately doing very little to stop the horde.

After the invasion has started, fighters in the water take much more damage, possibly getting instantly KO'd. The Tyrrhanoid army may even assault the fighters' battlefield with rocket munitions!

cashregister9

Smash Hero
1. Doc Monocle
2. Wario Wario Wario
3. Yokta

Job 6

Seattle

This is from the Last Of Us Part II, this stage would be a straightforward walkoff stage with a large divot in the middle with water in it and a platform in the middle that is some road signs. Some Clickers are seen roaming in the back as well. All Of a Sudden....

The Negativatron from Little Big Planet 2 will descend and open up his terrifying mouth, this will suck up everything in the background, replacing the Seattle Cityscape with the Cosmos from LBP2

The platform and divot will also disappear but the large hole left after the divot 3 cuboid platforms will appear that are spaced apart. Some sackbots are also seen roaming in the back. After that the Negativatron will disappear and Seattle will be restored.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Job 4 I vote:
1. Otoad64
2. Doc Monocle
3. Wario wario wario

Job 6:

Croft manor (Tomb raider/Until dawn)

The stages starts inside the Croft manor. It would be a pretty basic walk off stages. The chandelier could be used as a platform. The music that would play on this part would be a remix of Lara's dreams from Shadow of the tomb raider
c2286f835583245b85b5bc23f74fe2dd (1).jpg

Eventually, the psycho from Until dawn will appears. He will not hurt the players but will just try to scare you and stay in the background. After more times, Wendigo will start appearing and those will try to attack the players and destroy the manor. The music in this part would be a medley based on 3 Until dawn music: Run or hide (from 2:37 to 3:10) What could possibly go wrong (from 36 seconds to 1:20) and Welcome to the annual Blackwood winter getaway (from 3:49 to 4:30).

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #4: Changes to the KO Mechanic

1. Otoad64
  2. Wario Wario Wario
  3. Doc Monocle

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
For the stages, I had originally said that we'd be voting on two, but now I'm not sure - all of the ideas that have been posted so far have been great and so creative, and there's not much overlap with each other in terms of the series being used. I wouldn't want them to go to waste, so I'm not sure whether to bump it up to four stages or even six (meaning that all of the currently nominated stages would get in).

At the very least, it would make sense for each of these series (God of War, Uncharted, LBP, PaRappa, Crash, Tomb Raider) to get stages, so it seems easy enough to justify. Any thoughts?

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Job 6: Stage Idea
INTERSTATE_-_Guerreiros_da_Estrada_(1).jpg

Interstate (Motorstorm/Twisted Metal)

Taking place on the ruined collapsed highways of the Interstate tracks has you fighting on top of the many cars, trucks, big rigs and many more racing each other through the stage. After a while, the vehicles from Twisted Metal appear on the track firing at each other and crashing as they race alongside the racers and fighters causing chaos and mayhem.

(I think a stage like this would be interesting.)

Edit: This stage would be a combination of the 4 tracks those being Road Warriors, High Way, Rubbernecking and The End is Nigh.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
For the stages, I had originally said that we'd be voting on two, but now I'm not sure - all of the ideas that have been posted so far have been great and so creative, and there's not much overlap with each other in terms of the series being used. I wouldn't want them to go to waste, so I'm not sure whether to bump it up to four stages or even six (meaning that all of the currently nominated stages would get in).

At the very least, it would make sense for each of these series (God of War, Uncharted, LBP, PaRappa, Crash, Tomb Raider) to get stages, so it seems easy enough to justify. Any thoughts?
I would say we could keep them all, but if we have two stages from the same franchise we could vote between them (like for example if someone else have an idea for a Tomb raider stage we could make a vote for my idea or the others).

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I would say we could keep them all, but if we have two stages from the same franchise we could vote between them (like for example if someone else have an idea for a Tomb raider stage we could make a vote for my idea or the others).
Sure, sounds good! The stage nominations will be open for a few more hours, but if that happens, we can have a vote.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I was waiting for someone to suggest Spyro's Stone Hill...

1617739938310.png

It is a fairly calm stage, true to its purpose as an introductory level in Spyro. It is quiet and calm... until night falls. Then a hand emerges from the ground (MediEvil)...

I apologize for the lack of music and additional content. My scope is limited for the time being.

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
Job 6:
I didn't really have any excellent ideas so this one's kinda lackluster.

In a similar vein to the first game, this stage is based on the Creator menu from LittleBigPlanet! The stage is also quite similar to the Mario Maker stage from Smash, as it takes on a completely random layout every time you play it!

The various layouts all use different objects, gimmicks, and background cameo characters taken from across the LittleBigPlanet series, even branching out to reference games such as LittleBigPlanet Karting and Sackboy: A Big Adventure.

In the second half, soldier classes from Fat Princess will appear and fight in the background! If hazards are turned off, they'll just have a war that doesn't impact the fighters. But if hazards are on, their attacks will occasionally spill over onto the stage, potentially hurting the fighters!

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Job 6:
I didn't really have any excellent ideas so this one's kinda lackluster.

In a similar vein to the first game, this stage is based on the Creator menu from LittleBigPlanet! The stage is also quite similar to the Mario Maker stage from Smash, as it takes on a completely random layout every time you play it!

The various layouts all use different objects, gimmicks, and background cameo characters taken from across the LittleBigPlanet series, even branching out to reference games such as LittleBigPlanet Karting and Sackboy: A Big Adventure.

In the second half, soldier classes from Fat Princess will appear and fight in the background! If hazards are turned off, they'll just have a war that doesn't impact the fighters. But if hazards are on, their attacks will occasionally spill over onto the stage, potentially hurting the fighters!
What do you call the stage? I would like to know before I list it.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I was waiting for someone to suggest Spyro's Stone Hill...

View attachment 310245

It is a fairly calm stage, true to its purpose as an introductory level in Spyro. It is quiet and calm... until night falls. Then a hand emerges from the ground (MediEvil)...

I apologize for the lack of music and additional content. My scope is limited for the time being.
My concern about a Spyro stage is that I don't think that they could use Spyro content if he's not in the game. Maybe Activision isn't especially picky about this sort of thing, but considering that we couldn't even get Final Fantasy VI spirits/Mii costumes/music in Smash Bros. despite Final Fantasy VII content being in there (and those are from the same series), I feel like this would have to wait until Spyro gets added as a character. (there's no guarantee that it'll happen, but it seems pretty likely to happen at some point)

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
For Job #4, the results are:

-Doc Monocle: 13
-Wario Wario Wario: 11
-Otoad64: 10
-Yokta 2

It was surprisingly close, but Doc Monocle's won in the end.

Job #4:

Smash Bros. is an unorthodox fighting game. That does not mean Playstation All-stars must be as well. I think it should have a stamina-based K.O system. If the game must be different in some way, I would offer that each character may have weak spots/strong spots that affect how much damage they take. For example, Clank is a weak spot for Ratchet and Clank. That mechanic can be toggled in game settings. Hitting these areas are called 'Hard Hits' and 'Sorry Hits,' respectively. Falling or being launched off-screen results in death when the stage allows it.
For Job #6 (the stages), I think I'll add all of them (aside from the Spyro one, for reasons that I already mentioned - keep that idea in mind if/when Spyro gets added, though!) - we've got twenty-four spots to fill, none of them overlap with each other, and they were all great. Future stage selections will be more specific, which will require a vote, but as of now, I don't think anyone's going to complain if we cover the first eight stages rather than limiting it to two.

Job #7 is a two-parter - with God of War (2018) being so different from the previous entries, Kratos's moveset will have to change to reflect that. This can be done in one of two ways:

7A) his basic moves

I'm just looking for an overview, rather than a full move-list (though if you want to elaborate, feel free), but in PlayStation All Stars, the attacks of each button usually have a different theme to them. For example, when it comes to Kratos's original moveset...

-Square attacks: Blades of Athena (Kratos uses the blades on a chain that he's best known for)
-Triangle Attacks: alternate weapons/heavy attacks (aside from using his heavy attack from God of War, Kratos uses a spear, the Nemean Cestus weapons from Hercules, and a large hammer)
-Circle Attacks: additional tools (Kratos uses weapons and items other than his melee weapons - a bow, the head of Helios, the Golden Fleece for a counter attack, and the wings of Icarus)

Alternatively, PaRappa the Rapper might work as a simpler example:

-Square attacks: martial arts moves
-Triangle Attacks: using his skateboard as a weapon
-Circle attacks: microphone and boom box

7B) his Super Moves

Unlike the previous game, Super Moves would presumably deal a large amount of damage rather than immediately KOing someone, but they'll still be balanced similarly - level 1 comes out quick but has a smaller range and/or it can be interrupted easily, level 2 has a larger range, and level 3 is the biggest/flashiest thing a character can muster, whether it's a transformation, a targeted attack, or a cinematic.

To use Kratos's previous moveset as an example...

-Level 1: Divine Absolution - equips a large blade and dashes forward, swinging it
-Level 2: Divine Reckoning - slams his blades into the ground to create a tornado that covers a large distance horizontally, though not very far in front of him
-Level 3: Rage of the Gods - Kratos transforms into a giant, slaughtering anyone in his path

I don't own a PS4, so I'm not going to be much help in terms of coming up with a moveset for Kratos. You can submit for either or both of these categories.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Job #7 is a two-parter - with God of War (2018) being so different from the previous entries, Kratos's moveset will have to change to reflect that. This can be done in one of two ways:

7A) his basic moves

I'm just looking for an overview, rather than a full move-list (though if you want to elaborate, feel free), but in PlayStation All Stars, the attacks of each button usually have a different theme to them. For example, when it comes to Kratos's original moveset...

-Square attacks: Blades of Athena (Kratos uses the blades on a chain that he's best known for)
-Triangle Attacks: alternate weapons/heavy attacks (aside from using his heavy attack from God of War, Kratos uses a spear, the Nemean Cestus weapons from Hercules, and a large hammer)
-Circle Attacks: additional tools (Kratos uses weapons and items other than his melee weapons - a bow, the head of Helios, the Golden Fleece for a counter attack, and the wings of Icarus)

Alternatively, PaRappa the Rapper might work as a simpler example:

-Square attacks: martial arts moves
-Triangle Attacks: using his skateboard as a weapon
-Circle attacks: microphone and boom box

7B) his Super Moves

Unlike the previous game, Super Moves would presumably deal a large amount of damage rather than immediately KOing someone, but they'll still be balanced similarly - level 1 comes out quick but has a smaller range and/or it can be interrupted easily, level 2 has a larger range, and level 3 is the biggest/flashiest thing a character can muster, whether it's a transformation, a targeted attack, or a cinematic.

To use Kratos's previous moveset as an example...

-Level 1: Divine Absolution - equips a large blade and dashes forward, swinging it
-Level 2: Divine Reckoning - slams his blades into the ground to create a tornado that covers a large distance horizontally, though not very far in front of him
-Level 3: Rage of the Gods - Kratos transforms into a giant, slaughtering anyone in his path

I don't own a PS4, so I'm not going to be much help in terms of coming up with a moveset for Kratos. You can submit for either or both of these categories.

This one is hard because as much as I love the latest God of war, I don't want to totally forget Kratos origins. I try to do a moveset that focus more on God of war ps4, but still have some references to the Greek era games.

7A) Basic moves

-Square attacks: Those one will focus on attack with his axe. Those attacks are very powerful, but have a more limited range. The neutral square is a 3 hit combo with his axe. The side-square is a more slow but powerful moves (similar to the R2 attacks in the ps4 game). Down square is a fast slash downward and up-square is an uppercut-like move that can combo.
-Triangle attacks: Those will focus on attacks with the blade of chaos. It has longer range, but it his weaker. The moves are pretty much unchanged from his square moves in the original games (but please nerf them). One thing to note it's that there would be some lag if Kratos change weapons. For example, if your last move was a square moves with the axe, and you want to do a triangle moves, Kratos have a small animations where he change weapons. This gives Kratos a hard time to do huge combo (for example he couldn't do a close range attack with the axe and follow up immediately at long range with the blades)
-Circle: Those are projectiles and miscellanous items. Neutral-circle is the axe throw. It can freeze the opponent for a short time. In this game the axe come back immediately like a boomerang (you don't need to press the button again). Side circle is Hermes boots. You can charge it and Kratos charge and give small damage to enemies. Down circle is the shiels from God of war ps4. It works like a counter, Kratos spawns the shield for a very brief moments and if the enemy hits you at this moment, Kratos punches him with the shield. It can also reflects most projectiles. Up circle is Icarus wings and works like it did in the first game.

7B) Super moves

Level 1: Divine absolution: same one that he had in the first game (but again nerfed)
Level 2: Wrath of the wolf: Atreus appears and shoot 2 arrows that transforms into runic wolves. The wolves run around and attack other players.
Level 3: Spartan rage: This is a transformation super move. Similar to the ps4 game, Kratos becomes way faster and more powerful, but he only attack with his fist. It doesn't heal him (unlike in the ps4 God of war game).

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Are we sure we want to jump straight into fixing the moveset of one specific character without even defining the general attack options?
Playstation All-Stars' controls were notorious for lacking Smash Bros' ease of access. There are plenty of reasons for this, but I think the main culprit was the three Attack buttons having no specific purpose.

Smash Bros has A for standard attacks and B for specials.
Traditional fighting games group attacks into archetypes like Light-Medium-Heavy, Punch-Kick, High-Low, etc.
But Playstation All-Stars just draws a circle around Triangle, Square and Circle labelled "Attack," because apparently explaining what your attacks are is too complicated for a party fighter.

No, we're gonna have to formalise the roles of these Attack buttons. I propose borrowing from Smash Bros' trifecta:

SQUARE: QUICK ATTACK
Attacks that are safe, but weak. Comes in four ground variations (🟦⬆↔⬇) and 5 aerial variations. (🟦⬆➡⬅⬇)
Hold Square to repeat the move or execute an auto-combo.
These moves are useful for controlling neutral, zoning, and applying pressure.
TRIANGLE: POWER ATTACK
Attacks that are strong, but risky. Comes in five variations (🟦⬆➡⬅⬇) and usually behaves similarly in the air and on the ground.
Hold Triangle to charge the attack.
These moves are useful for conditioning, whiff punishing and option coverage.
CIRCLE: SPECIAL ATTACK
Attacks with unique functionality that define a fighter's archetype and character. Comes in four variations (🟦⬆↔⬇) and often has identical properties regardless of position.
The applications of these moves vary depending on the character. Understanding them is the first step to mastery.

Kratos' moveset likely won't need major alterations to fit this model, but it may be useful for developing future characters, so we had best settle on a framework as soon as possible.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Are we sure we want to jump straight into fixing the moveset of one specific character without even defining the general attack options?
Playstation All-Stars' controls were notorious for lacking Smash Bros' ease of access. There are plenty of reasons for this, but I think the main culprit was the three Attack buttons having no specific purpose.

Traditional fighting games group attacks into archetypes like Light-Medium-Heavy, Punch-Kick, High-Low, etc.
But Playstation All-Stars just draws a circle around Triangle, Square and Circle labelled "Attack," because apparently explaining what your attacks are is too complicated for a party fighter.

No, we're gonna have to formalise the roles of these Attack buttons. I propose borrowing from Smash Bros' trifecta:

Attacks that are safe, but weak. Comes in four ground variations (🟦⬆↔⬇) and 5 aerial variations. (🟦⬆➡⬅⬇)
Attacks that are strong, but risky. Comes in five variations (🟦⬆➡⬅⬇) and usually behaves similarly in the air and on the ground.
Attacks with unique functionality that define a fighter's archetype and character. Comes in four variations (🟦⬆↔⬇) and often has identical properties regardless of position.
The applications of these moves vary depending on the character. Understanding them is the first step to mastery.

Kratos' moveset likely won't need major alterations to fit this model, but it may be useful for developing future characters, so we had best settle on a framework as soon as possible.
I was about to list CapitaineCrash CapitaineCrash 's proposal until you said that, but I shall wait on Megadoomer Megadoomer . I suppose there is something to be said for preliminaries, but obviously, Megadoomer must make that call.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Speaking of, I just had a bit of an epiphany. Super moves are fired off with the L2 button, and the DualSense has adaptive triggers. I think we could take advantage of that.

In Astro's Playroom, when you get into the monkey suit, the triggers have a midpoint where the pressure you need to push the trigger suddenly increases. There are some grips in the level that shatter with the full pressure, but can be gripped if you apply the light touch.

So how about this: Pressing L2 all the way triggers the maximum level Super, but if you only press it up to that resistance point, you'll always execute a Level 1. Thanks to adaptive triggers, it's much easier to consistently perform a light press on the DualSense.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

I suppose we can vote on that instead; I only got a Playstation 3 in the past few years, and I wasn't aware that people thought that was an issue with the game. (I mainly knew about the problems that people had with only being able to kill using Supers) Also, the PS3's the only Sony system that I own, so I don't know what changes the PS5 brings to the table.

In that case, Job #7 will be categorizing the attack buttons (Square, Triangle, and Circle), while Job #8 will be Kratos's moves. We'll focus on Job #7 for now and save Kratos's moves until April 8th or 9th, after we've sorted out what each attack button does. (though I'll still count CapitaineCrash CapitaineCrash 's moveset for job #8 when we get back to it)

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I suppose we can vote on that instead; I only got a Playstation 3 in the past few years, and I wasn't aware that people thought that was an issue with the game. (I mainly knew about the problems that people had with only being able to kill using Supers) Also, the PS3's the only Sony system that I own, so I don't know what changes the PS5 brings to the table.

In that case, Job #7 will be categorizing the attack buttons (Square, Triangle, and Circle), while Job #8 will be Kratos's moves. We'll focus on Job #7 for now and save Kratos's moves until we've sorted out what each attack button does. (though I'll still count CapitaineCrash CapitaineCrash 's moveset for job #8 when we get back to it)
If we're voting on controls, I reckon we should go over the controls for All-Stars 1. Here's what else I remember from the controls, and what I would change given the opportunity. Bear in mind that I could be misremembering.
  • X is Jump. Makes sense.
  • Left Stick and D-pad are both for movement. Also makes sense.
  • R1 is reserved for items. Item use doesn't need to be its own button, and could easily be merged with the Attack buttons. This would leave R1 open for other uses.
  • L1 is Block. Blocking in All-Stars doesn't have a universal effect like Smash Bros' shield, instead relying on unique character animations that aren't remotely as recognisable. Blocking may need to be reworked.
  • L2 is taunt. Whose idea was it to put the leave-yourself-open button right next to the protect-yourself button? Perhaps I mixed up the triggers... Regardless, taunting should be moved to the touchpad.
  • R2 is for Super Moves. This is a sensible button, but since Supers aren't compulsory anymore, perhaps we could re-evaluate how they're earned and executed?
  • Right Stick is Grab. A baffling choice to Smash Bros veterans, but a counter to blocking needed to be put somewhere. Maybe if R1 is available...
  • Start Button is Pause. Obvious function is obvious, although we call it the Options button now.
  • Motion controls are unused, thank the Lord.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I saw this a few days ago and figure is should participate more here (I love the original allstars and i'd kill for a sequel).

That being said here is my move list for this job. Majority of it is taken from smash, with a few things to make it different.

🔺- Special: 4 Specials that attributes to the characters. Up, down, side and Neutral. All have air varients.

⬛- Normal: Similar to how A button works in smash bros. Charge the attack longer for a powerful attack (it's smash attacks)

X- Jump.... Kinda obvious

🔴-Attribute:
(This is the main gameplay difference I would put in)
A Specialized move for character to help them in battle. I figure it would be 3 ways to do do this:

A) Move swap:
This would change the moveset(for specials only) for a character. Example:
Lara- Bow or Dual Pistols: Swap Lara Specials for her gun set or her bow set
Kratos-Axe or Chains: Kratos Throws/catches axe or Whips the Chains to switch to the other weapon he has

B) Temporary Stat boost:
This would affect the characters stats for a small time.
Parappa-Boombox area: In a small area, boombox jams out and gives parappa a small speed boost or more damage.
Crash -Mask: Upgrades crash stats based on which mask he has.

C) Setup:
This is used for set up purposes, or one attack only
Nathan Drake-Barrel: Drake sets up his oil barrel anywhere on the stage(can attack it for explosive, melee attacks makes it roll)
Sackboy-Pop-it: Draws a random item (of 18) onto the field.

D-Pad/L stick: Movement(optional tap jump toggle)
L1- Grab
L2- Block (figure it would be cool to utilize the PS5 adaptive trigger for when the shield gets lower the trigger fights back)
R1- Dodge(air doge or spot doge)
R2- Super (Kinda the same logic used for shield, but for the duration of the Super, doesn't affect how the super would work if the trigger is hold down or not).

Right stick- Launcher Attack Alt. (This is like the c-stick for smash)

Touch pad- Taunts

Hope you guys enjoy this and any feedback would be helpful.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I saw this a few days ago and figure is should participate more here (I love the original allstars and i'd kill for a sequel).

That being said here is my move list for this job. Majority of it is taken from smash, with a few things to make it different.

🔺- Special: 4 Specials that attributes to the characters. Up, down, side and Neutral. All have air varients.

⬛- Normal: Similar to how A button works in smash bros. Charge the attack longer for a powerful attack (it's smash attacks)

X- Jump.... Kinda obvious

🔴-Attribute:
(This is the main gameplay difference I would put in)
A Specialized move for character to help them in battle. I figure it would be 3 ways to do do this:

A) Move swap:
This would change the moveset(for specials only) for a character. Example:
Lara- Bow or Dual Pistols: Swap Lara Specials for her gun set or her bow set
Kratos-Axe or Chains: Kratos Throws/catches axe or Whips the Chains to switch to the other weapon he has

B) Temporary Stat boost:
This would affect the characters stats for a small time.
Parappa-Boombox area: In a small area, boombox jams out and gives parappa a small speed boost or more damage.
Crash -Mask: Upgrades crash stats based on which mask he has.

C) Setup:
This is used for set up purposes, or one attack only
Nathan Drake-Barrel: Drake sets up his oil barrel anywhere on the stage(can attack it for explosive, melee attacks makes it roll)
Sackboy-Pop-it: Draws a random item (of 18) onto the field.

D-Pad/L stick: Movement(optional tap jump toggle)
L1- Grab
L2- Block (figure it would be cool to utilize the PS5 adaptive trigger for when the shield gets lower the trigger fights back)
R1- Dodge(air doge or spot doge)
R2- Super (Kinda the same logic used for shield, but for the duration of the Super, doesn't affect how the super would work if the trigger is hold down or not).

Right stick- Launcher Attack Alt. (This is like the c-stick for smash)

Touch pad- Taunts

Hope you guys enjoy this and any feedback would be helpful.
Using the adaptive trigger to block has so much potential! You could feel the trigger spring back with each impact.
My concern is that there wouldn't be a competitive reason to activate the resistance on the triggers. Melee-style levels of thickness could do the trick: say, for example a light shield would be easier to parry with, but a full shield would protect against more damage. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the trigger could provide a clear level of resistance to make the difference more distinct.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I'll consolidate my control scheme suggestion here for simplicity.

Left Stick/D-Pad: Movement
Use left and right to move, and down to crouch. Some characters can crawl.

X: Jump
All characters can double jump. Some characters have additional jumps. Briefly tap the button, or press up on the D-Pad, to perform a short hop.
[ ]: Quick Attack
Hold or mash the button to repeat or auto-combo the attack.
/\: Power Attack
Hold the button to charge these attacks, and release to execute.
O: Special Attack
Attributes vary depending on the character.

L2: Block
Press the trigger lightly for a light shield, or press it down fully for a heavy shield.
The light shield surrounds the fighter, but only blocks Quick Attacks and weak Specials.
The heavy shield only covers attacks from the front, but can be angled up or down. It nullifies all attacks except for Supers.

R2: Supers
Light-press the trigger to charge Super energy, or press it all the way to use your strongest Super.
You can also use Level 1 supers at will by pressing Quick Attack while charging, so long as you have enough energy for one.

You can't move while shielding or charging, but you can dodge out by pressing left, down or right. Dodging out of a heavy shield is a bit slower.
You can't light-shield in the air; instead you'll perform a dodge. You can heavy-shield, but it will be narrower than a grounded heavy shield and pulling it out halts your momentum.

L1: Counter
A risky alternative to shielding, which can also be executed by pressing Power Attack during a heavy shield. Your shield will briefly flash red as your character takes a countering stance. If an attack hits the shield during the flash, your character performs a counterattack. If the counter fails, you'll briefly be left wide open as your shield flickers out.

R1: Grab
A tool to punish shields and counters, which can also be executed by pressing Quick Attack while shielding. Your character will attempt to grab an opponent. If the grab is successful, you can press Quick or Power Attack to perform a quick or strong pummel respectively, or tilt the Left Stick/D-Pad to throw the opponent.
You can't perform grabs in the air; instead, you'll perform a dodge.

Right Stick: Throw
An alternative method of grabbing. Upon a successful grab, your character immediately throws the opponent in the direction you tilted the Right Stick.

Touchpad: Taunts
Swipe the touchpad in a direction to perform a taunt. When playing online, click the touchpad to access a quick-chat menu.

Item Use
Pick up an item with the Quick Attack or Grab buttons. Some items activate instantly or are equipped passively. Most items remain held: Press Quick Attack or Power Attack to use the item in different ways. To discard the item, press R1 to drop it, or tilt the Right Stick to throw it.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well well well, I was hoping someone would make one of these threads for PSAS. Good thing I found out early!

I'll give the current job a try (I think it's #7? The one about controls).

My proposal is... to keep controls the same. See, the thing with the controls for the original game is that, while not as intuitive as Smash's, they did have their strengths. Every different face button had several moves mapped to it, and the moves that shared a button shared a common theme (for example, PaRappa's [] moves were all martial arts, his O moves used his microphone and his ∆ moves used his skateboard). While not themed around function, imo that still made the fighters intuitive to use once you familiarized yourself with one. So I guess my proposal is to keep it the same, but explain it better to the player and give some good tutorials for each character so that nobody misses it.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
My proposal is... to keep controls the same. See, the thing with the controls for the original game is that, while not as intuitive as Smash's, they did have their strengths. Every different face button had several moves mapped to it, and the moves that shared a button shared a common theme (for example, PaRappa's [] moves were all martial arts, his O moves used his microphone and his ∆ moves used his skateboard). While not themed around function, imo that still made the fighters intuitive to use once you familiarized yourself with one. So I guess my proposal is to keep it the same, but explain it better to the player and give some good tutorials for each character so that nobody misses it.
The key phrase in that argument is "once you familiarized yourself with one." That's the problem with the original game's approach: in order to familiarise yourself with a new character, you would have to disregard everything you knew about your current character's attacks.

Compare to smash bros, where standard attacks often fall into the same archetypes: jabs for quick responses, tilts to control space, aerials for follow ups, grabs and throws to counter defensive play, and when you're really confident, throw out smash attacks to rack up damage and score knockouts.
There's a reason that Smash Bros' ingame movelist only covers special attacks and the occasional gimmick: once you're competent with one character, you can start playing with anyone else on the roster without much difficulty thanks to the relative consistency of the standard moveset.

This is what All-Stars misses out on by combining its attack buttons under a single nebulous label. If you're a Parappa main who wants to switch to Spike, or a Sweet Tooth main looking to pick up Kratos, your knowledge of the former character is not a helpful asset that can lay the foundation of your training, but instead an obstacle to overcome.

I enjoy playing as almost every character in Smash Bros. I can't come close to saying that about PlayStation All-Stars. There has to be some level of consistency to the mechanics if this new game hopes to represent its many characters evenly.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The key phrase in that argument is "once you familiarized yourself with one." That's the problem with the original game's approach: in order to familiarise yourself with a new character, you would have to disregard everything you knew about your current character's attacks.

Compare to smash bros, where standard attacks often fall into the same archetypes: jabs for quick responses, tilts to control space, aerials for follow ups, grabs and throws to counter defensive play, and when you're really confident, throw out smash attacks to rack up damage and score knockouts.
There's a reason that Smash Bros' ingame movelist only covers special attacks and the occasional gimmick: once you're competent with one character, you can start playing with anyone else on the roster without much difficulty thanks to the relative consistency of the standard moveset.

This is what All-Stars misses out on by combining its attack buttons under a single nebulous label. If you're a Parappa main who wants to switch to Spike, or a Sweet Tooth main looking to pick up Kratos, your knowledge of the former character is not a helpful asset that can lay the foundation of your training, but instead an obstacle to overcome.

I enjoy playing as almost every character in Smash Bros. I can't come close to saying that about PlayStation All-Stars. There has to be some level of consistency to the mechanics if this new game hopes to represent its many characters evenly.
What you say is very true, however compared to most other fighting games PS All-Stars is still much more intuitive. Having to learn a new character from the ground up is the norm, Smash is the exception. I think the setup as is strikes enough of a balance between ease of understanding and complexity; Smash characters are often limited by their control scheme, we've seen it lately with characters like Inkling and Terry needing special inputs to be properly represented. If inputs aren't centered around functions like in Smash then that's not a problem. Being more mechanically complex would also help the game stand out from Smash and appeal more to the competitive crowd.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
What you say is very true, however compared to most other fighting games PS All-Stars is still much more intuitive. Having to learn a new character from the ground up is the norm, Smash is the exception. I think the setup as is strikes enough of a balance between ease of understanding and complexity; Smash characters are often limited by their control scheme, we've seen it lately with characters like Inkling and Terry needing special inputs to be properly represented. If inputs aren't centered around functions like in Smash then that's not a problem. Being more mechanically complex would also help the game stand out from Smash and appeal more to the competitive crowd.
Perhaps traditional fighters are indeed more complicated than All-Stars, but even they give their attack buttons definitive purposes. Street Fighter has light, medium and heavy punches and kicks, Tekken has left and right punches and kicks, DB Fighterz has light, medium, heavy and special attacks, etc. These roles give you a reasonable expectation of what will happen when you press their respective buttons, which is at least enough to get started. All-Stars not providing any meaningful distinction between its attack buttons at all is basically inviting players to mindlessly button-mash.

I've heard this was done so that characters could be controlled with the same button commands that they use in their source games, but that seems rather backward to me. All-Stars is its own game with its own controls and mechanics. No character can be transplanted so cleanly from their source game. If you tried to force it, some characters would inevitably be more faithful than others, and that's just not fair.

That's why I believe the movesets of All-Stars should fit their abilities to the attack categories, and not the other way around. These All-Stars deserve the chance to appeal to every player, not just their existing fans.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Perhaps traditional fighters are indeed more complicated than All-Stars, but even they give their attack buttons definitive purposes. Street Fighter has light, medium and heavy punches and kicks, Tekken has left and right punches and kicks, DB Fighterz has light, medium, heavy and special attacks, etc. These roles give you a reasonable expectation of what will happen when you press their respective buttons, which is at least enough to get started. All-Stars not providing any meaningful distinction between its attack buttons at all is basically inviting players to mindlessly button-mash.

I've heard this was done so that characters could be controlled with the same button commands that they use in their source games, but that seems rather backward to me. All-Stars is its own game with its own controls and mechanics. No character can be transplanted so cleanly from their source game. If you tried to force it, some characters would inevitably be more faithful than others, and that's just not fair.

That's why I believe the movesets of All-Stars should fit their abilities to the attack categories, and not the other way around. These All-Stars deserve the chance to appeal to every player, not just their existing fans.
That's what the voting is for. If GoodGrief wants the controls to stay the same, there's no harm in leaving that as an option. How people vote will determine if the controls will change or stay the same.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It's been about a day, so we'll have the vote for Job #7:

-@Vgamer01's control scheme
-@Yokta's control scheme
-@GoodGrief741's control scheme

Much like the KO mechanic, we'll vote for a top 3, and you can't put your own nomination in first. (you can put it in second or third, though)

We'll just have the vote on this for now. I thought about having nominations for items, but I figure it's best to get the movesets for Crash and Lara sorted out before we decide on that. (it might be odd to have, for example, an Aku Aku crate as an item if Aku Aku is also one of Crash's supers)

Last edited:

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I apologize, GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 . For the same reason I was unable to submit my control scheme in time, I also did not list yours-- my internet connection dropped while in the process of making mine, and I just now learned that you had submitted one...

Anyway, I vote for Goodgrief's idea.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I'll vote for Vtoad's suggestions, and my own suggestions for 2nd place. But I won't be voting for GoodGrief.
I'm glad they found enjoyment in the original controls, and I do believe that the new game should accommodate players that are used to them. But to change absolutely nothing after almost a decade would be an unacceptable missed opportunity.

Top Bottom