• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: PERSONAL COMBAT: The Fighting Game (A PC Gaming platform fighter)

How we should utilize the shortcut mechanic

• Only for certain items

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Full mechanic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
defo keeping an eye on this, PC is my second most played "console brand" after Nintendo for sure.

PastaRorroKuma

Smash Journeyman
Job #1: Submit a character that could be the face of PC Gaming
When submitting this character add an image, it's origin game and a small description on the character and why they should be in

Job #2: Submit a title for the project
The current title sucks, we need a good one

Job #3: Submit the amount of characters you think the game should have
Pretty self-explanatory

Job 1:
Heavy Weapons Guy (Team Fortress 2)

One of playable TF2 characters, who comes from ZSSR (Russia today) and he is tank-type character. He is very obvious choice giving the fact that TF2 is one of very popular PC games of all time (Alongside minecraft).

His moveset from the game would speak for itself in the game.

Job 2:
PERSONAL COMBAT: The Fighting game (PC: TFG in short)

I know the name is kinda cheesy for Fighting game, but it references Personal Computer, which is PC's meaning.

Job 3:
I think we should go with 26 characters. 26 would be cool number, because some of franchises we should make as NPCs.
(I didn't wanted to oversaturize the Roster number)

D

Deleted member

Halflife2gfrender.png

Gordon Freeman
Half Life is an important PC game. Its engine is used in so many games and was basicly one of the starting points of Steam, which changed how we think about PC gaming. I don't want our roster to be all Valve but I do think Freeman has to be here.

40 characters. Feels like a good amount but isn't too heavy.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
The Sim

A huge franchise mainly known for its pc games with a long history continuing to this day. Not sure the best way for them to appear whether we use some favorite premade sims from the games or allow limited customization. The iconic sim logo over the character would still get the point across I think of the series being represented.

As for the other 2 jobs, i know we may end up voting anyway later but I am liking the ideas for 40 fighters & the title personal combat.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Okay, whilst this would be a very funny and weird character to have as "the face" of this game, I can see them being responsible for all the fighting. But who is this mysterious, malevolent master of puppets? Well...

Job #1:
Character Name: Mahamata Gandhi, Ruler and King of the Indians.
Character Origin: Sid Meyer's Civilisation

1652558555349.png

Okay, I understand the immediate concern - Gandhi is a real person. However, this specific interpretation of the very icon of peace worldwide is based on the infamous glitch in Civilisation II, which has become an enduring joke (and eventual meme) to the point that every following Civilisation game has added this as an actual feature, due to the absurd nature of Gandhi being a warmongering nuclear powerhouse. Oh, and we're taking this to the logical extreme.

I'd say that Civilisation is also quite an interesting place to start in terms of representation. Whilst PCs are well known for their plethora of genre-defining FPS titles, from Wolfenstein 3D to Half-Life, another particularly important PC genre in the past has been the strategy genre - with titles like Total War, Worms, and of course Civilisation itself. However, whilst the absurd and hilarious nature of the Worms came very close to making me submit them, the idea of the background of the box art being a colossal Gandhi, looming over the rest of the cast like a ****ty 80s movie villain and surrounded by mushroom clouds, is just too amazing for me to miss out on.

Not to mention, I think we could actually have Gandhi as a very interesting character here. I picture him having a wide variety of inspiration from different sources - be it Cold War-era media such as Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Bomb, or even Indian history, folklore and culture, Gandhi would have a very wide pool of potential in how he'd actually play, as well as acting as a very natural, chaotic villain for the game.

Admittedly I came close to submitting either a Worm as I mentioned earlier, or Reimu (given that Touhou's origins were on the PC-98) but I didn't really think anyone else would submit Gandhi, and like I said, he feels like a very natural villain.

Job #2:
I'm going to suggest simply Keyboard Khaos. It's a little like Mortal Kombat in some ways but represents the keyboard, the main way of playing titles like this. It is, after all, a PC title.

Job #3:
I'm... going to say 32 characters, base roster. As much as I considered 64 (to get in on some of that Commodore action) I think 32 is a solid place to start, giving us lots of breathing room in the base roster as well as plenty of space to expand in DLC perhaps.

I should admit that, for context, I'm not a massive PC player - but I'm always willing to research, and I'll probably be one of those people who keeps suggesting some older picks as well as newer ones. Windows is all well and good, but I think it'd be vital to get some reps for more obscure and interesting PC releases - like how I mentioned Reimu as a pick earlier. Sorry in advance, I guess!

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Job #1
Ranger (Quake)

While it is true that there are plenty of games running on the Source Engine, in reality they're running on a fork of the Quake engine, as many more games do (Call of Duty, for example, can be seen as a series of extremely expensive Quake III mods). Quake has also contributed just as much to gaming transitioning to 3D as Virtua Fighter 1 (which is why Quake is a fully 3D game in the first place) and Super Mario 64, and QuakeWorld and QuakeSpy (which became GameSpy, the same service which powered Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection) revolutionized online gaming and helped push it to the mainstream.

Last edited:

PastaRorroKuma

Smash Journeyman
Closing submissions a bit sooner since I don't think we are getting more submissions

Job 1:
Heavy Weapons Guy (Team Fortress 2)

One of playable TF2 characters, who comes from ZSSR (Russia today) and he is tank-type character. He is very obvious choice giving the fact that TF2 is one of very popular PC games of all time (Alongside minecraft).

His moveset from the game would speak for itself in the game.

Job 2:
PERSONAL COMBAT: The Fighting game (PC: TFG in short)

I know the name is kinda cheesy for Fighting game, but it references Personal Computer, which is PC's meaning.

Job 3:
I think we should go with 26 characters. 26 would be cool number, because some of franchises we should make as NPCs.
(I didn't wanted to oversaturize the Roster number)
View attachment 352424
Gordon Freeman
Half Life is an important PC game. Its engine is used in so many games and was basicly one of the starting points of Steam, which changed how we think about PC gaming. I don't want our roster to be all Valve but I do think Freeman has to be here.

40 characters. Feels like a good amount but isn't too heavy.
Job 1:
View attachment 352428
Doomguy (Doom)

Doom was the game that truly put the FPS genre in the map, and one of the biggest PC gaming icons
The Sim

A huge franchise mainly known for its pc games with a long history continuing to this day. Not sure the best way for them to appear whether we use some favorite premade sims from the games or allow limited customization. The iconic sim logo over the character would still get the point across I think of the series being represented.

As for the other 2 jobs, i know we may end up voting anyway later but I am liking the ideas for 40 fighters & the title personal combat.
Okay, whilst this would be a very funny and weird character to have as "the face" of this game, I can see them being responsible for all the fighting. But who is this mysterious, malevolent master of puppets? Well...

Job #1:
Character Name: Mahamata Gandhi, Ruler and King of the Indians.
Character Origin: Sid Meyer's Civilisation

View attachment 352465

Okay, I understand the immediate concern - Gandhi is a real person. However, this specific interpretation of the very icon of peace worldwide is based on the infamous glitch in Civilisation II, which has become an enduring joke (and eventual meme) to the point that every following Civilisation game has added this as an actual feature, due to the absurd nature of Gandhi being a warmongering nuclear powerhouse. Oh, and we're taking this to the logical extreme.

I'd say that Civilisation is also quite an interesting place to start in terms of representation. Whilst PCs are well known for their plethora of genre-defining FPS titles, from Wolfenstein 3D to Half-Life, another particularly important PC genre in the past has been the strategy genre - with titles like Total War, Worms, and of course Civilisation itself. However, whilst the absurd and hilarious nature of the Worms came very close to making me submit them, the idea of the background of the box art being a colossal Gandhi, looming over the rest of the cast like a ****ty 80s movie villain and surrounded by mushroom clouds, is just too amazing for me to miss out on.

Not to mention, I think we could actually have Gandhi as a very interesting character here. I picture him having a wide variety of inspiration from different sources - be it Cold War-era media such as Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Bomb, or even Indian history, folklore and culture, Gandhi would have a very wide pool of potential in how he'd actually play, as well as acting as a very natural, chaotic villain for the game.

Admittedly I came close to submitting either a Worm as I mentioned earlier, or Reimu (given that Touhou's origins were on the PC-98) but I didn't really think anyone else would submit Gandhi, and like I said, he feels like a very natural villain.

Job #2:
I'm going to suggest simply Keyboard Khaos. It's a little like Mortal Kombat in some ways but represents the keyboard, the main way of playing titles like this. It is, after all, a PC title.

Job #3:
I'm... going to say 32 characters, base roster. As much as I considered 64 (to get in on some of that Commodore action) I think 32 is a solid place to start, giving us lots of breathing room in the base roster as well as plenty of space to expand in DLC perhaps.

I should admit that, for context, I'm not a massive PC player - but I'm always willing to research, and I'll probably be one of those people who keeps suggesting some older picks as well as newer ones. Windows is all well and good, but I think it'd be vital to get some reps for more obscure and interesting PC releases - like how I mentioned Reimu as a pick earlier. Sorry in advance, I guess!
Job #1
Ranger (Quake)

While it is true that there are plenty of games running on the Source Engine, in reality they're running on a fork of the Quake engine, as many more games do (Call of Duty, for example, can be seen as a series of extremely expensive Quake III mods). Quake has also contributed just as much to gaming transitioning to 3D as Virtua Fighter 1 (which is why Quake is a fully 3D game in the first place) and Super Mario 64, and QuakeWorld and QuakeSpy (which became GameSpy, the same service which powered Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection) revolutionized online gaming and helped push it to the mainstream.
Heavy Weapons Guy - Team Fortress
Gordon Freeman - Half-Life
Doomguy - Doom
Sim - The Sims
Gandhi - Civilization
Ranger - Quake

VOTE HERE!

PastaRorroKuma

Smash Journeyman
VOTING ENDED!

Character3 Points2 Points1 PointTotal
Heavy3 (9)0110
Gordon3 (9)3 (6)217
Doomguy1 (3)7 (12)116
Sim2 (6)1 (2)210
Gandhi1 (3)025
Ranger0022

Gordon Freeman from Half Life joins the battle λ!
1652620805906.png

Definitive amount of characters
Amount of CharactersVotes
40 Characters5
32 Characters3
26 Characters2

This means that the base roster will have 40 characters

Title Submissions

Personal Combat: The Fighting Game will be our title!

We are moving to submitting Gordon's moveset in a few minutes. Thanks to everyone that submitted content

Last edited:

PastaRorroKuma

Smash Journeyman
Job #4: Submit gameplay differences with Smash
Before moving to movesets and other jobs I thought about this, so let's submit mechanics to differentiate this game to Smash, this can range from moveset differences, gameplay differences, mechanics, etc...

PastaRorroKuma

Smash Journeyman
Maybe there could be certain abilities fighters have that you access to by pressing one of the numbers along the row at the top of the keyboard, which a lot of PC games have set to hotkeys.
I see it more as a gimmick for a character, but maybe we could use with certain items, it could be a mix of Villager's neutral b in Smash and how that mechanic works in Half-Life or Doom.

AlRex

Smash Lord
Maybe you could collect and store items, accessible via an option menu you can pull up mid-fight, sort of like certain Mega Man games/fangames. Perhaps that's a bit convoluted, though.

PastaRorroKuma

Smash Journeyman
We are still allowing submissions for a few hours

I'll add some things later and we will be starting submissions for Gordon's moveset.

PastaRorroKuma

Smash Journeyman
Submissions clossed!

So, we are conducting a poll to see how to utilize the number shortcut mechanic.

While that poll is active tho...

Gordon's moveset submissions
Submit, Gordon's moves, you can submit up to 4 moves and they can range from his jab to his final smash. (Taunts and other animations will be submitted later)

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
Neutral Special. Gun: Upon pressing and holding down B, Gordon takes out a different gun from his inventory which can include, Pistol, 357, MP5, AR2. Near Gordon's HP meter, the gun-type will be revealed in a yellow colour similar to Half Life's item icon. Each weapon has different bullet types and damage stats with the 357 being the slowest and most powerful type whilst the AR2 is very fast and deals a lot of spread out damage. Gordon can also aim what gun he fires in each direction via the control stick with the weapon's only having a limited amount of ammo to fire. If Gordon runs out of ammo, he must change his gun or attack. Does 2% to 18% damage which varies for each gun.

Side Special. Rocket Launcher. Gordon takes out an RPG and fires a slow-moving projectile towards the target that can be controlled with the control stick. Gordon can only fire one rocket per round until it blows up or is destroyed causing him to reload the weapon and fire again. Does 10 to 20% damage depending on how close the target is to the explosion.

Up Special: Barnacle Grapple. Gordon takes out the Barnacle Grapple and attaches onto a target upwards to the target or ledge. The Barnacle Grapple can only aim upwards, but the direction of tilt can be modified with the control stick at different angles. Does 5% to 9% damage depending on how far or close the target is.

Down Special: Gravity Gun: Gordon takes out the Gravity Gun and can grab projectiles and hurl them back to the target by pressing the B button. Gordon can also use this move to grab and open items and hurl them to targets as well. The damage itself various on the type of projectile weapon and the angle it is fired from.

Top Bottom