• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: PBS Kids: Brawltime! (A Fanmade Platform Fighter Honoring PBS/PBS Kids's History): Learner's Pass Volume 2 Time!

What should Job 11 be?

• Submit layouts, hazards and/or gimmicks for Sesame Street Stage?

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Submit a moveset proposal for Mr. Rogers.

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
I kinda regret not submitting a playstyle for this, I like the idea of it being "Baby's First Platfighter" from a glance thanks to extremely simple movesets but having insane, beyond-Melee movement tech/options hidden within - but eh, what's done is done.
Hey, since we're short on ideas, why don't you share your idea since we're a little short on them if you want?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Hmm, OK: here's a quick idea I rushed up:

6 moves - up, neutral, down, up special, neutral special, and down special, they all function the same no matter whether you're in the air or land with a few exceptions - however, the game also has dashing and the non-special moves can all be charged. Dashing can be done on ground while the air varient allows you to wavedash not just on the ground but up walls and across roofs. Running stops momentum when you perform attacks, wavedashing (and dashing in general) keeps momentum going. You can dash in the middle of an attack or attack in the middle of a dash. Each character has a triple jump and charging non-specials gives super armour. The block equivalent is basically a universal Fox shine if quickly tapped that can be held for a universal counter. Grabs are replaced by traps, which leave the foe stunned in a two-sided barrier that resembles the edges of the PBS P-Head and leave them vulnerable to any follow up - but can only be performed from a Rest-close range. Directional influence is manipulated by the perpetrator rather than victim of an attack.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
One small thing I want to add on to my idea is that I feel directional influence is manipulated by the perpetrator rather than victim of an attack, which combined with universal charging would give the small movesets as much variety as a bigger ability list.

EDIT: Another thing, I kinda forgot to give wavedashing a purpose beyond "going faster" given the lack of dash attacks... My solution is that running stops momentum when you perform attacks, wavedashing keeps momentum going. You can dash in the middle of an attack or attack in the middle of a dash.

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Alright, I feel it has been kind of settle d that Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario 's idea for the PBS platform fighter is going to be our basis for designing movesets. Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds will have a minor contribution as well for coming up with the idea for character specific gimmicks. Well done to you both.

Now, for a minor job.

Job 5:

Come up with a title for the PBS/PBS Kids Platform Fighter

For me, my ideal title for the PBS Platform Fighter would PBS Clash

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
What Ideaare you talking about?
The concept of a fighting game of all things using characters like this. PBS is probably the last company to ever make a fighting game, even if it is as relatively simple as we're making this one out to be.

Honestly, just the possibility that a tournament scene where the winner legitimately mains Big Bird is hilarious beyond belief. And I love it.

The concept of a fighting game of all things using characters like this. PBS is probably the last company to ever make a fighting game, even if it is as relatively simple as we're making this one out to be.

Honestly, just the possibility that a tournament scene where the winner legitimately mains Big Bird is hilarious beyond belief. And I love it.
Oh I get it.

Also, there are other companies that can make a crossover fighting game like Microsoft, SEGA, Disney and others.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Yeah. The very idea that we are even suggesting this as a possibility is amusing.

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Job 5 Results:

https://strawpoll.com/9sshebpdd

With 3 votes out of the total 5 votes, PBS Kids: Brawltime! will be our official title for the PBS platform fighter so well done Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario

Now, in the meantime, to prepare for Job #6, we are going to be adding items to our game as well.

But, the job will not be out just yet. Let's discuss how items should be handled.

D

Deleted member

Personally I think it would be interesting if items where more healing and passive based here. This is a game based on a channel for young children after all. You'd have a couple of offence based items but no guns or anything. Maybe items could be equipped pre match

Last edited by a moderator:

PopCultureCorn

Pop Culture Enthusiast and Beginner Animator
NNID
PopCultureCorn
Hey guys, I hope I'm not late to the party, but I'd LOVE to be a contributor to this project!, because I am SO enthusiastic about the idea and I posted a similar post over on Reddit. So can you guys please (please please?) let me be a contributor on this project? I'd gladly take Job 1, if that's ok, because I have some awesome character ideas in mind for this!

Also, while I know there's no job positions for those ones, I'd also love to contribute the following:
  • Adventure mode/Story Mode plot and those stuff
  • Boxing Ring-like titles
  • Classic Mode Routes
I'm just saying all of this because I just LOVE the idea and I have so many good ideas for this. If you could let me contribute to this, that would be awesome.

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I hope I'm not late to the party, but I'd LOVE to be a contributor to this project!, because I am SO enthusiastic about the idea and I posted a similar post over on Reddit. So can you guys please (please please?) let me be a contributor on this project? I'd gladly take Job 1, if that's ok, because I have some awesome character ideas in mind for this!

Also, while I know there's no job positions for those ones, I'd also love to contribute the following:
  • Adventure mode/Story Mode plot and those stuff
  • Boxing Ring-like titles
  • Classic Mode Routes
I'm just saying all of this because I just LOVE the idea and I have so many good ideas for this. If you could let me contribute to this, that would be awesome.
I would love to have you on board. Right now, we have to kink out some basic gameplay stuff and all before single player content. We’re on the items phase.

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Hmmmm, you're on the items phase, but can I still take Job 1 (please?) and suggest new characters while I also suggest new items?.....:nervous:;)
You can suggest your characters when the time comes. For now, let’s discuss how items should be handled. I really admire your enthusiasm for this project.

PopCultureCorn

NNID
PopCultureCorn
Well since I'm here, I think the way items should be handled is......well, in terms of healing items, you can base them around food that kids like to eat, such as mac and cheese, chicken fingers, pizza, hot dogs, ice cream, cotton candy, pudding, etc.

As for offensive items, you can base them around stuff like nerf guns and stuff like that

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Alright so it seems Dark's idea won us all over for items!

So, for Job 6

Job 6:

Submit a healing item.

Also, I am looking for people to join the developer team. If you want to be a part of the developer heads, just say that you want to be a part of it in this thread or send me a PM. You will be expected to maintain regular contact with me as well as help me come up with prompts/ideas. I hope you consider joining the developer head team.

PopCultureCorn

NNID
PopCultureCorn
Ok then, well, for my healing item, I have two, but if I can only go with one, we can discuss.

1. Milk
Just a bottle of milk, what more? The characters would just hold the bottle with their mouths and gulp the whole thing down, restoring 20% damage.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Alphabet Soup (Martha Speaks)
Just a fun idea for an item from a PBS Kids franchise not yet represented. If alphabet soup gave Martha the ability to speak, maybe it can have the ability to heal in PBS Kids: Brawltime! Restores 30% damage.

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
blows dust off thread

Alright, this thread is now back. Sorry about the sudden hiatus but overall, I will be leaving the items job open for a bit more.

Also, please either PM me or post something saying "I want to join the dev team." I am always looking for help with this thread and this game idea for sure. Thank you all.

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Alright, so after two or so days,

I feel I am going to submit my item idea.

Milkbones (Clifford the Big Red Dog)

The picture of the item

Basically, it helps the opponent by 10%.

Please remember to submit your items by tomorrow so we can move onward. Also, I am still looking for help with this thread. Don't be afraid to put a post saying you are interested in this idea or send me a PM regarding your interest. Thanks.

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Alright so, I have decide to give my item as well as PopCultureCorn PopCultureCorn 's items into the items space as we only have three. Right now, I want to propose two jobs right now.

Job 8: Discuss ideas for Big Bird's moveset.

Job 9: Submit a job proposal not related to submitting a new character for the roster.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I feel Big Bird should be on the heavier side of midweight, and have a poor air game. His primary strength would be the range of his kicks and wing swipes, though they have middling power. He would probably have some disjoints using toys, educational devices, and such in his specials. The length of his wings would probably be exaggerated between the original costume and this depiction.

Job proposal: Submit the layout, gimmicks and/or hazards for the Sesame Street stage

Last edited:
Top Bottom