• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: PBS Kids: Brawltime! (A Fanmade Platform Fighter Honoring PBS/PBS Kids's History): Learner's Pass Volume 2 Time!

What should Job 11 be?

• Submit layouts, hazards and/or gimmicks for Sesame Street Stage?

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Submit a moveset proposal for Mr. Rogers.

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
My event matches:

Event #1: Welcome to Sesame Street!
Event Description: Big Bird has a new visitor coming to Sesame Street! But, will they be able to make it safely around Sesame Street before dark?
Stage: Sesame Street

Player: Big Bird
Ally: Dash in Dot alt
Opponent(s):Two random opponents
Event objective: You must survive the whole time and must protect Dot from the opponent. If you or Dot get KOd, you fail the mission.
Reference: The very first episode of Sesame Street, Dot represents Sally.

Event #2: A trip to The Land of Make Believe!
Event Description: Mr. Rogers has a special place with his imaginary friends called The Land of Make Believe! Will you help transport his new visitors there by trolley?
Stage: The Land of Make-Believe
Player:Mr. Rogers
Opponent(s): Big Bird and Arthur
Event objective:You must defeat both opponents by using the trolley move which is the neutral special.
Reference: General reference to Mr. Rogers as the Land of Make-Believe is a frequent stop on the show. The Neighborhood Trolley is the form of transport used to get to the Land of Make-Believe. Big Bird and Arthur are the opponents due to them having met Mr. Rogers.
Mr. Rogers' guest appearances on Sesame Street and Arthur by the way.

Event #3: Arthur's Missing Pal
Event description:
Oh no! Arthur has lost his dog Pal! Can you help him find his dog before it gets too late and he gets into trouble?
Stage: Elwood City
Player: Arthur
Opponent(s): Random opponents.
Event objective: One opponent in Elwood City will be hiding Pal. The way Pal can be found is via listening for his barks and what not. Pal needs to be found 3 times during the duration of the event. If Arthur KOs an opponent not hiding Pal, you fail the mission.
Reference: The Arthur movie Arthur's Missing Pal

These are not as good as PopCultureCorn PopCultureCorn 's ideas but I tried

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Job 15 is now closed. I have created three different straw polls due to me and PopCultureCorn PopCultureCorn having similar ideas for event matches. I will insert the details for the event match submissions right below the polls and the announcement of our sixteenth job.

Strawpoll for Event #1
Strawpoll for Event #2
Strawpoll for Event #3

For Job 16:

Job 16:

Create and design a moveset for Arthur. Arthur will be a bit tricky but maybe something involving his glasses or his school or even his friends in his moveset. A bit of creative muse is required here. Get creating everyone and as PBS Kids's old song used to go..."Use your imagination."

Here are mine:

Event #1: Journey to Ernie Undercover
Event description:
Once again, Ernie hides and Big Bird seeks, but Ernie's new hiding tactics has him going full incognito! Maybe one of those opponents is him in disguise.....
Opponent(s): Three random for each stage location, random for every playthrough
Event objective: As Big Bird, your goal is to defeat the opponent which Ernie is posing as. For each location of the stage, there will be three random opponents, which all of them are passive and easy to launch. The catch is that KO'ing opponents which Ernie is not hiding under will get you a strike, and KO'ing 3 non-Ernie opponents will result in failing the event. Some hints as to which fighter Ernie is hiding in will have orange sparks emitting from the fighter on random intervals, and that fighter will also make Ernie's laugh occasionally. Once that fighter is defeated, Ernie will jump on the spot and yell "You found me!" in happiness, clearing the event
Reference: Journey to Ernie segments in Sesame Street episodes.

Event #2: Won't you be my neighbor?
Event description:
Looks like Mr. Rogers has two new visitors, and they both seem familiar to him! Maybe with some kind words and sharing, he can convince them to be his neighbors!
Stage: Land of Make Believe
Player: Mr. Rogers
Opponent(s): Big Bird, Arthur
Event objective: In this event, Mr. Rogers has to use his down special on his opponents for enough times before using his light/strong neutral to KO them. How much Mr. Roger's down special is used on the opponents is indicated by a meter somewhere on the screen. Once they're full, Mr. Rogers can KO them. If Mr. Rogers KOs the opponents if their meters are not filled up, they will just respawn.
Reference: Mr. Rogers' guest appearances on Sesame Street and Arthur

Event #3: Arthur's Big Plane Protection
Event description:
Arthur would tell anyone a million times not to touch his model of the Bell X-1 rocket plane. Perhaps hitting them would teach them to get their hands off of Arthur's blue ribbon-winning possession?
Opponent(s): Dash in Dot alt. (x2, x3 on higher difficulty levels)
Event objective: In the middle of the stage, there is a pedestal with Arthur's model of the Bell X-1 rocket plane, which Arthur must protect at all costs. The Dots will constantly attack the plane and respawn whenever they are KO'd. If Arthur protects the plane within the time limit, the event is won. However, if the plane breaks after taking enough damage, the event is failed.
Reference: Arthur's Big Hit, Arthur, S4 1b
My event matches:

Event #1: Welcome to Sesame Street!
Event Description
: Big Bird has a new visitor coming to Sesame Street! But, will they be able to make it safely around Sesame Street before dark?

Ally: Dash in Dot alt
Opponent(s):Two random opponents
Event objective: You must survive the whole time and must protect Dot from the opponent. If you or Dot get KOd, you fail the mission.
Reference: The very first episode of Sesame Street, Dot represents Sally.

Event #2: A trip to The Land of Make Believe!
Event Description
: Mr. Rogers has a special place with his imaginary friends called The Land of Make Believe! Will you help transport his new visitors there by trolley?
Stage: The Land of Make-Believe
Player:Mr. Rogers
Opponent(s): Big Bird and Arthur
Event objective:You must defeat both opponents by using the trolley move which is the neutral special.
Reference: General reference to Mr. Rogers as the Land of Make-Believe is a frequent stop on the show. The Neighborhood Trolley is the form of transport used to get to the Land of Make-Believe. Big Bird and Arthur are the opponents due to them having met Mr. Rogers.
Mr. Rogers' guest appearances on Sesame Street and Arthur by the way.

Event #3: Arthur's Missing Pal
Event description:
Oh no! Arthur has lost his dog Pal! Can you help him find his dog before it gets too late and he gets into trouble?
Opponent(s): Random opponents.
Event objective: One opponent in Elwood City will be hiding Pal. The way Pal can be found is via listening for his barks and what not. Pal needs to be found 3 times during the duration of the event. If Arthur KOs an opponent not hiding Pal, you fail the mission.
Reference: The Arthur movie Arthur's Missing Pal

These are not as good as PopCultureCorn PopCultureCorn 's ideas but I tried

PopCultureCorn

Pop Culture Enthusiast and Beginner Animator
NNID
PopCultureCorn
Arthur
Series: Arthur
Debut: Arthur, Season 1, Episode 1 October 7, 1996

"I told you not to touch it!"

Arthur, being one of the 4 starters, is mostly an all-around type of character, except that he excels a little bit in his jump height and speed. All of his attacks have fair range, and they have a decent amount of power to them.

Gimmick: Due to him having a tendency to be pretty savage at times and not liking to be provoked sometimes, he has the ability to enter a special "rage" stance when he gets hit by a certain number of attacks, which increases the damage and knockback of all his attacks until he is KO'd. The less stocks he has or if he's falling behind, it takes less hits on him to enter this stance, and vice versa.

Moveset:
Light Neutral: Arthur's Big Hit, Arthur throws out a punch at his opponents with his right arm which can be charged for more power, can spike at downward angles.

Light Up: Arthur whirls his glasses above him in circles.

Light Down: Arthur slams a big book on both sides of him.

Neutral Special: Arthur summons a random classmate of his (Buster, Francine, Muffy, etc.) who carry school stuff and run forward a few steps, but then trip, flinging the school stuff forward like projectiles.

Up Special: Arthur rides a swing, and when the special attack button is pressed again, he will jump off of it, which covers great vertical distance. The move can be charged for more jump height.

Down Special: Arthur pulls out a computer and plays Deep, Dark Sea on it. While he does so, he can control a diver like a remote-controlled toy, and when the diver makes contact with someone, the diver will unleash an attack on the opponent.

Entrance:
Arthur gets off a school bus

Taunt:
Arthur does a little dance, similar to the intro to his show

Victory:
Arthur can be seen surrounded by his classmates, who give him a blue ribbon and hold him in the air to celebrate.

Defeat:
Arthur applauds the winner

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Ok so it seems as is PopCultureCorn PopCultureCorn is the only one who submitted a moveset for Arthur. I really like the idea off Arthur having a rage gimmick so well done.

Also, please vote on the event matches polls. They are in a tie.

Big Bird Event Idea for Event #1 | StrawPoll.com
Mr. Rogers Event Idea | StrawPoll.com
Event Idea for Arthur (Event #3) | StrawPoll.com

Now, onward to both Job 17 and Job 18...

Job 17

Discuss how assist characters can work in this game.

For me, I feel to make the PBS platform fighter more distinct from other plat fighters...assists can be decided on before the game. They can function by filling up assist meter or something along the lines of that.

Job 18

Choose a stage for the Kratt Brothers from Wild Kratts or other Kratt Brothers related media from their other PBS shows.

Last edited:

PopCultureCorn

NNID
PopCultureCorn
So for how I think assists can work for this game, they can follow alongside the playable characters at all times and offer attacks to others or health and buffs to their users when needed. They would also be tied to a meter, so that when the assists are KO'd, the player would have to either wait for the meter to fill on its own or just attack others more to fill it faster. You can select your assists before a match by selecting assists cards on the player's slot.

My Kratt Bros. stage, the Tortuga HQ

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Hey all,

Sorry for the thread's dormancy. Me and PopCultureCorn PopCultureCorn have been talking about lack of submissions and what to do about them. For those who may remember, you had the chance to vote for either me or Pop's event matches idea. I will let Pop's event match ideas be the first three due to my ideas being used twice. That being said, depending on how many submissions we get for a job, I will leave the job open for another day. This will apply for future jobs depending on how many people submit. I hope this thread can gain more traffic especially during voting times in the future. Overall, I just want more participation in the future (I hope). The assist idea proposal and stage for Kratt Brothers will be open till tomorrow.

Now, for Job 18:

Animal Junction (Zoboomafoo)

zoboomafoocreaturequestscreen01.jpg

Zoboomafoo needs to be represented with the Kratt Brothers. Therefore, stage with multiple platforms and potential animal hazards could prove to be interesting to work with.

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Both Jobs 17 and 18 are closed. Time to vote.

Ok so it seems as is PopCultureCorn PopCultureCorn is the only one who submitted a moveset for Arthur. I really like the idea off Arthur having a rage gimmick so well done.

Also, please vote on the event matches polls. They are in a tie.

Big Bird Event Idea for Event #1 | StrawPoll.com
Mr. Rogers Event Idea | StrawPoll.com
Event Idea for Arthur (Event #3) | StrawPoll.com

Now, onward to both Job 17 and Job 18...

Job 17

Discuss how assist characters can work in this game.

For me, I feel to make the PBS platform fighter more distinct from other plat fighters...assists can be decided on before the game. They can function by filling up assist meter or something along the lines of that.

Job 18

Choose a stage for the Kratt Brothers from Wild Kratts or other Kratt Brothers related media from their other PBS shows.
So for how I think assists can work for this game, they can follow alongside the playable characters at all times and offer attacks to others or health and buffs to their users when needed. They would also be tied to a meter, so that when the assists are KO'd, the player would have to either wait for the meter to fill on its own or just attack others more to fill it faster. You can select your assists before a match by selecting assists cards on the player's slot.

My Kratt Bros. stage, the Tortuga HQ
Hey all,

Sorry for the thread's dormancy. Me and PopCultureCorn PopCultureCorn have been talking about lack of submissions and what to do about them. For those who may remember, you had the chance to vote for either me or Pop's event matches idea. I will let Pop's event match ideas be the first three due to my ideas being used twice. That being said, depending on how many submissions we get for a job, I will leave the job open for another day. This will apply for future jobs depending on how many people submit. I hope this thread can gain more traffic especially during voting times in the future. Overall, I just want more participation in the future (I hope). The assist idea proposal and stage for Kratt Brothers will be open till tomorrow.

Now, for Job 18:

Animal Junction (Zoboomafoo)

View attachment 348100

Zoboomafoo needs to be represented with the Kratt Brothers. Therefore, stage with multiple platforms and potential animal hazards could prove to be interesting to work with.

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Alright. It seems PopCultureCorn PopCultureCorn and his idea for assists won and my idea for a stage based on Animal Junction from Zoboomafoo won for Jobs 17 and 18. Now, it's time for Job 19.

Job 19:

Submit two characters to be assists.

One character must be from a series represented by a fighter.

The other character must be from a PBS franchise not yet represented in the game.

Also, assists
deconfirm a character from being a fighter on the roster.

For my assists:

Assist from represented series: Daniel Tiger

unnamed.jpg

He will give the fighter he is assisting a stats buff if the fighter gets damaged. He is from Mr. Rogers but his assist will be based off of Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood which is still a part of the Rogers universe.

Assist from unrepresented series: Thomas the Tank Engine

Thomas_Tank_Engine_1.JPG

I feel Thomas would not work that well as a fighter. So, as an assist, once the meter is filled, he can chug across the stage tackling the opponents. If my idea for Thomas gets in, this doesn't deconfirm a rep from Shining Time Station in my opinion.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
The Alligator King (Sesame Street)

The Alligator King wistfully sits around, not really attacking - if you hit him enough he'll tumble over and cry for help. If he disappears his attacker will gain a point, but if another fighter hits him before he disappears he'll get back on his feet and give them a point as reward

Honestly I feel Thomas should be repped by a playable Fat Controller with Thomas as a stage.

Last edited:

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
1647895382218.png

Kermit the Frog
Kermit is here as an assist character to represent Sesame Street, in honor of his many appearances on the show and various ties to it in other ways. I don't really feel like Kermit should be a character in this game, but it would still be fun to see him appear in this form.

Kermit will help out in line with a more traditional Assist in Smash, where he'll run around the stage and attack enemies with punches and kicks. He can jump really high, helping him maneuver stages and reach opponents who are airborne (or dashing upside down). If Kermit manages to score a point for you, he'll do his iconic cheer.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
View attachment 348238
Kermit the Frog
Kermit is here as an assist character to represent Sesame Street, in honor of his many appearances on the show and various ties to it in other ways. I don't really feel like Kermit should be a character in this game, but it would still be fun to see him appear in this form.

Kermit will help out in line with a more traditional Assist in Smash, where he'll run around the stage and attack enemies with punches and kicks. He can jump really high, helping him maneuver stages and reach opponents who are airborne (or dashing upside down). If Kermit manages to score a point for you, he'll do his iconic cheer.
I really like the idea that, because Kermit shifted to general family entertainment after Sesame, he'd be the least passive assist.

PopCultureCorn

NNID
PopCultureCorn
Ok, here are mine:

Assist from represented series: Alan "the Brain" Powers (Arthur)

He gives the fighter he is assisting potions that heal or give speed, jump or power buffs depending on the current situation. True to him being a smart kid, he will always prioritize which potion is needed in which situation. (i.e., if the player's damage is high or if the player takes too much damage from another player's combo, the Brain will give the fighter he is assisting a heal potion, if the player is falling behind or is in need to get to a certain location quickly, the Brain will give the fighter he is assisting a speed, jump or power buff potion). On an additional note, he is not one of the classmates to appear for Arthur's neutral special.

Assist from unrepresented series: Sara Snap (Hero Elementary)

When the fighter she is assisting is about to fall off the stage or be launched into the blast zone, she will quickly teleport the player she is assisting back onto stage in a "snap". She will also occasionally teleport other fighters to random locations on the stage, preferably over bottomless pits or any area on the stage where recovery can be a hassle. (Similar to Abra in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate)

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Alright, job is over. It's time to vote!

Assist from represented series:
Daniel Tiger AlteredBeast AlteredBeast
The Alligator King Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario
Kermit Torgo the Bear Torgo the Bear
The Brain PopCultureCorn PopCultureCorn

Assist from Unrepresented Series:

Alright for my votes for Assist from represented series.

1. Kermit
2. The Brain
Alright. It seems PopCultureCorn PopCultureCorn and his idea for assists won and my idea for a stage based on Animal Junction from Zoboomafoo won for Jobs 17 and 18. Now, it's time for Job 19.

Job 19:

Submit two characters to be assists.

One character must be from a series represented by a fighter.

The other character must be from a PBS franchise not yet represented in the game.

Also, assists
deconfirm a character from being a fighter on the roster.

For my assists:

Assist from represented series: Daniel Tiger

View attachment 348233

He will give the fighter he is assisting a stats buff if the fighter gets damaged. He is from Mr. Rogers but his assist will be based off of Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood which is still a part of the Rogers universe.

Assist from unrepresented series: Thomas the Tank Engine

View attachment 348234

I feel Thomas would not work that well as a fighter. So, as an assist, once the meter is filled, he can chug across the stage tackling the opponents. If my idea for Thomas gets in, this doesn't deconfirm a rep from Shining Time Station in my opinion.
The Alligator King (Sesame Street)

The Alligator King wistfully sits around, not really attacking - if you hit him enough he'll tumble over and cry for help. If he disappears his attacker will gain a point, but if another fighter hits him before he disappears he'll get back on his feet and give them a point as reward

Honestly I feel Thomas should be repped by a playable Fat Controller with Thomas as a stage.
View attachment 348238
Kermit the Frog

Ok, here are mine:

Assist from represented series: Alan "the Brain" Powers (Arthur)

He gives the fighter he is assisting potions that heal or give speed, jump or power buffs depending on the current situation. True to him being a smart kid, he will always prioritize which potion is needed in which situation. (i.e., if the player's damage is high or if the player takes too much damage from another player's combo, the Brain will give the fighter he is assisting a heal potion, if the player is falling behind or is in need to get to a certain location quickly, the Brain will give the fighter he is assisting a speed, jump or power buff potion). On an additional note, he is not one of the classmates to appear for Arthur's neutral special.

Assist from unrepresented series: Sara Snap (Hero Elementary)

When the fighter she is assisting is about to fall off the stage or be launched into the blast zone, she will quickly teleport the player she is assisting back onto stage in a "snap". She will also occasionally teleport other fighters to random locations on the stage, preferably over bottomless pits or any area on the stage where recovery can be a hassle. (Similar to Abra in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate)

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Alright, voting is closed! Here are the results!

Kermit: 9
The Alligator King: 0
The Brain: 4
Daniel Tiger: 2

Kermit will be our first assist from a represented series!

Also, Sara Snap will be our assist from an unrepresented series!

now, PopCultureCorn PopCultureCorn will give us all our 20th job!

PopCultureCorn

NNID
PopCultureCorn
Alright everyone, it's time for the next job:

Job 20:

HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER! Nominate a character from a PBS Kids show that premiered/debuted in the 2000's (2000-2009) for the roster. Since this era of PBS Kids is an era we are hugely familiar with, I hope we can get some interesting and wild nominations. Just like before, it must be a character with a strong connection to the PBS brand/identity, and please explain the character, the show they are from, why they deserve to be in the roster and how they can fight/what they can bring.

The job title says it all. Please submit your ideas for a character from a PBS Kids show that debuted in the 2000's, an era of PBS kids I bet we are all very familiar with. We'd love to hear your character ideas and we also hope you guys can go wild on this. So everyone, let's get character submitting!

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Gonna resubmit Lionel Lion from Between the Lions. There's lots of good choices but I feel Between the Lions truly defined the 2000s for PBS Kids and I loved the show growing up. Plus, another crossover for both Sesame Street and Between the Lions.

Sorry for the delay but real life has prevented me from updating this thread. But....

For Job 1:
Lionel Lion (Between The Lions)
View attachment 344054
Lionel Lion is an enthusiastic young lion cub who lives with his parents Theo and Cleo and his sister Leona. He lives in a library and his life has been based around books. He's a geek, loves things young boys love, etc.

For those wondering, Between The Lions was a show ran on PBS from 2000-2010. Reruns aired till 2011. The show has a very strong connection with PBS and truly represents the image of PBS in the 2000s. The show promoted literacy and reading fundamentals. Lionel can fight with books, maybe some moves inspired by his hero Cliff Hanger, etc. Also, characters from Sesame Street made cameos once. Crazy stuff, huh? They may share the same universe.

For the roster, I feel we will go with 20 for base (we will discuss DLC later). I plan to update the intro page to make it look nicer eventually with stages and all that. Also, we may need to discuss ideas for a hypothetical reveal for this game and all that. Submissions for job 1 will be open for a day and then we'll go into voting.

Paraster

Smash Lord
2000s Character Submission
1648053863184.png

WordGirl (Debut: 2006 (shorts), 2007 (full show))

WordGirl, protagonist of her self-titled show, is a young superhero with a staggering vocabulary on top of her Superman-esque abilities. Said abilities make her arguably the most action/fighting-oriented character among PBS Kids's pantheon, and would allow for a fast, aggressive moveset that would likely focus on aerial combat (given her ability to fly, which would likely need to be heavily nerfed overall). You could maybe even implement her monkey sidekick, Captain Huggy Face, as a summon move.

Her series would also supply great potential for side content. Any of the creative and wacky villains from her show would make great assists, and any of their gadgets could make for good items. Her stage could be either the Metropolis-esque city she calls home or her wrecked spaceship hideout.

PopCultureCorn

NNID
PopCultureCorn
Here's my character submission.

Sagwa (Sagwa the Chinese Siamese Cat, 2001)

Her show takes place in China during the late Qing Dynasty, where she and her other cat friends and family learn lessons regarding family obligations and loyalty. What's interesting about the show is that it's cross-cultural, meaning its theme song is in both English and Chinese.

She deserves a spot in the roster for many reasons. One, there have historically been barely any platform fighting games to have cats as playable fighters, and I am a cat person myself. Two, her show in general, although short-lived, was very obscure and underrated. It fits into the category of obscure 2000's PBS Kids shows. Three, her show takes place in China, which is a country that is very well-known in the USA, with Chinese being one of the most spoken languages in the world. China's THAT recognizable, and the way it's represented in her show is treated with high respect. Those are just 3 examples of my reason she deserves a spot in the roster.

Sagwa would be a lightweight character with high mobility and jumping skills and can also run very fast (Cats can run at 30 mph after all). Most of her attacks would involve swiping her paws at others. One idea for a gimmick or special move I have is a "predatory mode", where she would enter a pose where she is about to pounce something, which is something real world cats tend to do sometimes. Another idea I have for her moves is that can call upon powerful Chinese spirits to fight alongside her. So overall, her moves would be a combination of real-world cat moves and summoning mighty Chinese spirits.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Arty Smartypants (Between the Lions)

He could give us a surreal Capoeira moveset and summon the other dancers from his music video and maybe even have a move that inflicts an effect by putting on some smarty pants!

(I wanted to submit Oobi for this, but turns out he was Nick Jr - Oobi for NASB anyone?)

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Alright. Job 20 is closed! Time to vote!

Lionel Lion (Between the Lions) AlteredBeast AlteredBeast
WordGirl Paraster Paraster
Sagwa (Sagwa the Chinese Siamese Cat) PopCultureCorn PopCultureCorn
Arty Smartypants (Between the Lions) Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario

Vote for your top 2!

1. Sagwa
2. Lionel Lion

Also, if you look under the Characters tab on the intro post on the first page, you will notice there is a mock-up roster CSS made by PopCultureCorn PopCultureCorn I thank him for making that! It looks really good.

Gonna resubmit Lionel Lion from Between the Lions. There's lots of good choices but I feel Between the Lions truly defined the 2000s for PBS Kids and I loved the show growing up. Plus, another crossover for both Sesame Street and Between the Lions.
2000s Character Submission
View attachment 348379
WordGirl (Debut: 2006 (shorts), 2007 (full show))

WordGirl, protagonist of her self-titled show, is a young superhero with a staggering vocabulary on top of her Superman-esque abilities. Said abilities make her arguably the most action/fighting-oriented character among PBS Kids's pantheon, and would allow for a fast, aggressive moveset that would likely focus on aerial combat (given her ability to fly, which would likely need to be heavily nerfed overall). You could maybe even implement her monkey sidekick, Captain Huggy Face, as a summon move.

Her series would also supply great potential for side content. Any of the creative and wacky villains from her show would make great assists, and any of their gadgets could make for good items. Her stage could be either the Metropolis-esque city she calls home or her wrecked spaceship hideout.
Here's my character submission.

Sagwa (Sagwa the Chinese Siamese Cat, 2001)

Her show takes place in China during the late Qing Dynasty, where she and her other cat friends and family learn lessons regarding family obligations and loyalty. What's interesting about the show is that it's cross-cultural, meaning its theme song is in both English and Chinese.

She deserves a spot in the roster for many reasons. One, there have historically been barely any platform fighting games to have cats as playable fighters, and I am a cat person myself. Two, her show in general, although short-lived, was very obscure and underrated. It fits into the category of obscure 2000's PBS Kids shows. Three, her show takes place in China, which is a country that is very well-known in the USA, with Chinese being one of the most spoken languages in the world. China's THAT recognizable, and the way it's represented in her show is treated with high respect. Those are just 3 examples of my reason she deserves a spot in the roster.

Sagwa would be a lightweight character with high mobility and jumping skills and can also run very fast (Cats can run at 30 mph after all). Most of her attacks would involve swiping her paws at others. One idea for a gimmick or special move I have is a "predatory mode", where she would enter a pose where she is about to pounce something, which is something real world cats tend to do sometimes. Another idea I have for her moves is that can call upon powerful Chinese spirits to fight alongside her. So overall, her moves would be a combination of real-world cat moves and summoning mighty Chinese spirits.
Arty Smartypants (Between the Lions)

He could give us a surreal Capoeira moveset and summon the other dancers from his music video and maybe even have a move that inflicts an effect by putting on some smarty pants!

(I wanted to submit Oobi for this, but turns out he was Nick Jr - Oobi for NASB anyone?)

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Alright. Voting is over.

Looks like WordGirl will be our 7th fighter with a score of 11 points from our voting!

Time for 2 other jobs now.

Job 21:

Create the layout for the Elwood City stage and note any hazards and/or gimmicks.

And Job 22:

If this game were to be revealed, how many characters should be in the reveal and where should it be revealed? Should this game be just dropped on social media one day casually or be announced at some gaming industry event? Discuss about it.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I was gonna submit the library, but that could steal a Between the Lions rep's thunder, heh

Once Upon a Restaurant

While tiny, you fight on top of a table and its chairs, the layout is designed to encourage the wall and ceiling wavedashing function. You can see the Picky Eater swan and the Fantasy Castle in the background.
F008F80B-D97A-4C58-B504-1992B4285BED.jpeg

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Job 21:

For me, I am still going to go with Elwood City but the layout of the stage will be based off of the Hollow Bastion stage in SSBU. It just travels through the city and passes locations such as the school, the park, etc. Also, the Arthur characters make background appearances.

ezgif-2-1e9b3b634c.jpg

For Job 22:

I would say the reveal should happen at The Game Awards. One of the oddball games where the reveal is so out there but streamers will laugh or get hyped about it. For characters, I feel we should have 12 characters in the reveal and leave 8 to be revealed via shadow dropped or at other gaming events.

DO NOT FORGET TO DO JOB 22 AS WELL EVERYONE!

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
For Job 22:

I would say the reveal should happen at The Game Awards. One of the oddball games where the reveal is so out there but streamers will laugh or get hyped about it. For characters, I feel we should have 12 characters in the reveal and leave 8 to be revealed via shadow dropped or at other gaming events.

I agree with this, but I also think it should be at a slightly more lowkey event like Gamescom or a Nintendo Direct/State of Play

PopCultureCorn

NNID
PopCultureCorn
Ok, for my Arthur stage: Wonder World

The fighters would be fighting at the area where the mountain coaster and the ferris wheel are located. The layout of the stage would be the mountain coaster on the left and the ferris wheel on the right, and a pain flat surface in the middle. The gimmicks and hazards of the stage is the ferris wheel rotating and the coaster vehicles passing by on the mountain coaster on timed intervals. Wonder World's other rides and attractions as well as random parkgoers can be seen on the background. So kinda like Glove World from Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl.

For how I think the game should be revealed, due to the game's premise of being comprised of characters from TV shows for preschoolers and young kids, the game should be revealed at a huge gaming event, like Gamescom, the Game Awards, PAX or San Diego Comic Con (but it could also be revealed in a Nintendo Direct too), so that people will not take the game as a joke entirely. Like AlteredBeast AlteredBeast 's idea of how many characters are revealed, there should be 12 revealed in the initial reveal trailer and the other 8 would be revealed by separate reveal trailers at other gaming events or just by shadow dropping.

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Both jobs are closed!

Time to vote.

Once Upon A Restaurant Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario
Elwood City AlteredBeast AlteredBeast
Wonder World PopCultureCorn PopCultureCorn

Also, I feel we have came to the general consensus of having one big reveal with 12 characters at a gaming event for PBS Kids: Brawltime!

Vote for your top 2 Arthur stage ideas.

1. Wonder World
2. Elwood City

I was gonna submit the library, but that could steal a Between the Lions rep's thunder, heh

Once Upon a Restaurant

While tiny, you fight on top of a table and its chairs, the layout is designed to encourage the wall and ceiling wavedashing function. You can see the Picky Eater swan and the Fantasy Castle in the background.
View attachment 348528
Job 21:

For me, I am still going to go with Elwood City but the layout of the stage will be based off of the Hollow Bastion stage in SSBU. It just travels through the city and passes locations such as the school, the park, etc. Also, the Arthur characters make background appearances.

View attachment 348534

For Job 22:

Ok, for my Arthur stage: Wonder World

The fighters would be fighting at the area where the mountain coaster and the ferris wheel are located. The layout of the stage would be the mountain coaster on the left and the ferris wheel on the right, and a pain flat surface in the middle. The gimmicks and hazards of the stage is the ferris wheel rotating and the coaster vehicles passing by on the mountain coaster on timed intervals. Wonder World's other rides and attractions as well as random parkgoers can be seen on the background. So kinda like Glove World from Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl.

For how I think the game should be revealed, due to the game's premise of being comprised of characters from TV shows for preschoolers and young kids, the game should be revealed at a huge gaming event, like Gamescom, the Game Awards, PAX or San Diego Comic Con (but it could also be revealed in a Nintendo Direct too), so that people will not take the game as a joke entirely. Like AlteredBeast AlteredBeast 's idea of how many characters are revealed, there should be 12 revealed in the initial reveal trailer and the other 8 would be revealed by separate reveal trailers at other gaming events or just by shadow dropping.

Top Bottom