• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: Nintendo Illumination Canon

The job has now ceased. And the cast shall be...

Donkey Kong: Seth Rogen
Cranky Kong: Fred Armisen
Diddy Kong: Brian Hull
Dixie Kong: Tara Strong
King K. Rool: Idris Elba
Funky Kong: John Cena

I don't know about you guys, but this is exactly the kind of casting I would have pictured for the future movies: Heavy on the star power, with a couple of voice actors thrown in. However, I 100% approve of having Brian Hull in the cast in some capacity.

So, we've covered the next 3-4 films in the canon, and laid out the main cast and plot for Donkey Kong Country.

Job #5: Assorted Details for Donkey Kong Country
This next job is to suggest any other details for the movie, if there are any that need to be added in. Like, supporting cast, callbacks to the games and cartoon, things like that.

You have until Thursday night to consider the small stuff.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I would like callbacks to the animated Donkey Kong Country TV show.

Edit: Even a full-on minecart chase scene would be pretty fun as a reference to the minecart levels.
(Picture a movie remix of Mine Cart Madness over a high-speed pursuit on rails)

Last edited:
The job has ceased. Let's go through the suggestion box.

Callbacks to the animated DKC show: Yeah, I'm sure that would happen if we don't get one in the new Mario movie.

A minecart chase scene, with a remix to Mine-Cart Madness: Oh, heck yeah! Of course I'm adding that in!

Musical numbers: An unconventional choice, but one that I can see working.

Post credits scene where DK gets kidnapped: Be prepared for that stinger to not go anywhere for a while, but I'll allow it.

And with that, we close out the decisions on Donkey Kong Country. We've done the casting, the plot, and any additional surprises. So now, we're going to tackle Zelda on Saturday. Brace yourselves, because this is going to take a while.

Job #6: The Legend of Zelda Movie Plot
Unlike Donkey Kong Country, this job will be worded differently.

Which game of the Legend of Zelda franchise would you like to see get adapted into this movie?

This will be a straight adaptation, aside from maybe some cameos of fan-favorites.

You have until Monday evening to select a game to adapt for this feature. Begin!

Job #6: The Legend of Zelda Movie Plot
Unlike Donkey Kong Country, this job will be worded differently.

Which game of the Legend of Zelda franchise would you like to see get adapted into this movie?

This will be a straight adaptation, aside from maybe some cameos of fan-favorites.

You have until Monday evening to select a game to adapt for this feature. Begin!
Just bringing this back up.

I have only gotten one response, but seeing as the response was to base the movie on one of the most beloved Zelda games ever crafted, I'll take it.

In other words, Ocarina of Time will not only be the basis of our Zelda movie, but it will also be the subtitle of said movie.

Job #7: Zelda Movie Cast
I'm sure I'll be getting some responses here, because it's time to pick the cast for The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

There's just one snag: Should Link be able to speak? I actually say yes, he should.

So, a must-have is to pick two voices for Link: One for his child form, and the other for his adult form. The other casting calls should come standard, as well.

You have until Friday night. Something this monumental should take the rest of the week to pitch voices.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Timothée Chalamet: Adult Link
(I'll think of his Young version soon)

Zelda Williams: Zelda

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Gonna throw out Florence Pugh for Zelda since ATJ is Peach already and I assume we'll wanna do crossovers at some point.

Giancarlo Esposito as Ganon. Alternatively Keith David

Millie Bobby Brown as Saria
Kid Link could be any young actor really

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
Halle Berry as Impa
Connor Fielding as Young Link
Michael Caine as Great Deku Tree
Jessie Cave as Navi

I would like to change my Donkey Kong post credits to a Punch Out reference.

Last edited:
Full reminder that you have a few hours before submissions are finished. We still need voices for:
-Sheik
-Ruto
-Darunia
-Nabooru
-Great Deku Tree
-Rauru

Also a full reminder that if you have enjoyed the final Mario movie trailer, go ahead and come on down here! We're building a scenario that builds on the hype of those trailers.

Let's tally the castings so far:

Young Link: Connor Fielding

Adult Link: Timothee Chalamet

Zelda:
-Zelda Williams
-Florence Pugh

Ganondorf:
-Giancarlo Esposito
-Keith David

Navi: Jessie Cave

Impa: Halle Berry

Saria: Millie Bobby Brown

Great Deku Tree: Michael Caine

Still on the lookout for voice actresses for Sheik and the other Sages, so we shall extend the casting call to Sunday.

What can I say? There's a lot of weight on their shoulders here.

As for the casting suggestions already made, those with only one suggestion win by default. Especially Timothee Chalamet as Adult Link, Halle Berry as Impa, and Michael Caine as the Great Deku Tree. Those are great voices.

As for Zelda and Ganondorf, we all know Zelda Williams and Keith David would be the more popular choices of each pair, so I'm going to just say they're in as those characters.

One more thing. A Punch-Out!! post-credits scene at the end of the DKC movie has a better chance of not enraging fans for such a long wait for a teaser to become realized, compared to having DK get kidnapped. So that's going in instead.

First off, the voice of Sheik shall be Halle Berry, using the same voice she would for Impa, thus keeping the twist a surprise.

Second, we still need voice actresses for the remaining Sages. If we don't have VAs for them by tomorrow night, I shall have to make those choices myself.

I hope you guys can find the rest of the casting couch.

The cast for Zelda: Ocarina of Time is as follows:

Link: Timothee Chalamet
Young Link: Connor Fielding
Zelda: Zelda Williams
Ganondorf: Keith David
Sheik: Halle Berry
Navi: Jessie Cave
Impa: Halle Berry
Saria: Millie Bobby Brown
Ruto: Jodi Benson
Darunia: Patrick Warburton
Nabooru: Kathleen Turner
Rauru: Ke Huy Quan
Great Deku Tree: Michael Caine

Note that I looked at the designs of the characters, and tried to think of someone else with those qualities, and then researched who was still alive and active to take these roles. For example, I looked at Ruto and Link's relationship, Darunia and Nabooru's body types, and Rauru's sense of wisdom.

Now, after waiting so long, it is finally time to tackle the next job.

Job #8: Assorted Details for The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Is there anything else you would want out of this movie? Don't hesitate to put them in the open.

You have until Sunday.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Alright! Here I go:
  • A scene where Link gets very frustrated with the Water Temple while trying to navigate as a reference to said template being very infamous for players.
  • Race scene with the Running Man and Link trying to beat him over and over but failing a lot.
  • Running gag about Navi saying "Hey! Listen!" getting more and more annoying and irritating.
Sorry if we didn't do voice actors, most likely due to people being busy.

D

Deleted member

I think Tingle should have a cameo but it would be funnier if he wasn't voiced. I also think we should start setting up crossovers, perhaps some hints at other fantasy properties like FE and KI. Some kind of Majora's Mask tease feels right too.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
A pretty creepy scene where Link goes into the Bottom of the Well.

Yes, that dungeon...

The one with the Dead Hand...

Okay. Additional segments have ended the suggestion period. Let's see the ideas:

Mamboo07 Mamboo07 suggested:
-A scene in which Link gets progressively more frustrated with the Water Temple.
-A race scene against the Running Man.
-A running gag with Navi's voice and "Hey! Listen!" catchphrase grating on Link's ears.
-A horrific scene of Link encountering the Dead Hand.

I would make sure to include all four suggestions. The scene of Link getting angrier at the Water Temple, the running gag with Navi's shrill voice, and the Dead Hand moment would really speak to the fans and their mindsets, while the race against the Running Man should have a payoff where Link wins at the end of the movie. Maybe we can even reuse Navi's voice from the game to save money.

@DarkVortex suggested:
-Silent Tingle cameo.
-Hints at Majora's Mask, Fire Emblem, and Xenoblade.

Skull Kid picking up the Majora's Mask is going to be the post-credits scene after the movie. Laying it out there in the open. However, maybe save the Fire Emblem and Xenoblade hints for another time.

Northsouthmap Northsouthmap suggested:
-A fight against Dark Link.
-Picking up the Master Sword.

Oh yeah, those must happen. The Master Sword moreso, if you can believe it. Perhaps the Dark Link fight could be shortened for time, but it should be included.

We shall begin consideration for Super Mario Bros. 2 tomorrow. And it shall be our first sequel in the Canon, to boot!

Alright, then. I guess we'll start deciding the new stuff for the Mario sequel tonight.

Job #9: New Characters for Super Mario Bros. 2
You have until Wednesday to suggest as many new characters for the second Mario movie from Illumination. Whether these characters are part of the story, or reserved for referential cameos, no star will be refused in this job.

Of course, we should consider tying in the Luigi's Mansion series to some capacity, knowing that it's the next movie in the canon.

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
Wart
Mouser
Captain Syrup
Ninjis(Super Mario 2 Enemy)
Renzor(Super Mario World Enemy)
Phanto(Super Mario 2 Enemy)
Gao(Super Mario Land)
Tokotoko(Super Mario Land)
Monty Mole
Mona Cameo
Jimmy T Cameo
Dribble And Spitz Cameo
Dr.Crygor Cameo

You may stop suggesting characters. It is time to decide who appears in Super Mario Bros. 2: The Movie.

Mamboo07 Mamboo07 suggested:
1: Wario
2: Waluigi
3: Princess Daisy
4: Yoshi
5: Bowser Jr.

I would add all five of these if I could, but I'd prefer to save Bowser Jr. for the third movie.

Northsouthmap Northsouthmap suggested:
1: Birdo
2: King Boo
3: Rosalina
4: Toadette
5: King Bob-omb

If Rosalina isn't in the first movie, she's a shoo-in for the sequel. I can also see King Boo in a post-credits scene to hype up Luigi's Mansion. Birdo, Toadette, and King Bob-omb, on the other hand, could sit this one out and no one would miss them.

Pizza Robo Pizza Robo suggested:
1: Wart
2: Mouser
3: Captain Syrup
4: Ninjis
5: Renzor
6: Phanto
7: Gao
8: Tokotoko
9: Monty Mole
10: Cameos from Warioware characters like Mona, Jimmy T, Dr. Crygor, Dribble, and Spitz.

I see you're hoping to base the sequel's story around Doki Doki Panic, which I can see the pros of doing this time. However, if that becomes the story, I would prefer to keep Wart, Mouser, Phanto, Monty Mole, and the Ninjis. Everyone else, especially the Warioware cameos, should be saved for future entries.

I see we have a lot of characters. So, I'll announce the next job now.

Job #10: The Cast of Super Mario Bros. 2
I shall only bring the following characters to the second film:
  • Rosalina
  • Wario
  • Waluigi
  • Princess Daisy
  • Yoshi
  • King Boo (Post-credits scene)
  • Wart
  • Mouser
  • Birdo
Everyone else that was suggested would have to wait until the next batch of movie ideas.

You have until Saturday to decide the casting couch for these newcomers.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
  • Wario
    • Voice Actor: Danny Devito
  • Waluigi
    • Voice Actor: Jim Carrey
  • Daisy
    • Voice Actor: Kaley Cuoco
  • Yoshi
    • Voice Actor: Alan Tudyk

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
Cameron Diaz as Rosalina

William Dafoe as King Boo

Jeff Garlin as Wart

Joe Pesci as Mouser

Tom Kenny as Yoshi

Kristen Chenoweth as Birdo

Last edited:
The new cast has been called, let's see who gets what:

Wario: Danny Devito
Waluigi: Jim Carrey
Rosalina: Cameron Diaz
Daisy: Kaley Cuoco
Yoshi: Alan Tudyk or Tom Kenny
Wart: Jeff Garlin
Mouser: Joe Pesci
Birdo: Kristen Chenowith
King Boo: Willem Dafoe

All but Yoshi win by default, but I would choose Tom Kenny over Alan Tudyk for the part of "the better Barney".

Now then, let's tackle the next job.

Job #11: Super Mario Bros. 2's Premise
This time, we're going to submit plots that involve all these characters, or at least most of them plus some from the first movie.

You have until Tuesday to consider such an extravagant plot.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
The Plot:
It's been a few days staying in the Mushroom Kingdom after Mario and Luigi defeated Bowser with the help of their new friends: Peach, Toad, and the Kongs.

However, something's brewing in a world of dreams involving a villainous amphibian with a plot to take over.

While a desert kingdom and a princess in orange seem to need help.

Meanwhile, two certain men of yellow and purple, one lanky, the latter short come into the fray. Very soon... their paths shall collide... two brothers, two princesses, an evil frog, a dreamy land, and purple-yellow men, as well a green dinosaur and a person from the stars.

Last edited:

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
The Mushroom Kingdom is transported to space, where Rosalina tells them that Wario and Waluigi are trying to release Wart and his army into the real world. The gang travel throughout space to stop the yellow/purple men, while also finding Yoshi and Daisy.

Top Bottom