• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: Nintendo Illumination Canon

We've all seen what The Super Mario Bros. Movie is all about by now, and a lot of us are eager to see it in full. Myself humbly included.

But have you ever wondered what could come after this movie?

Now, I'm not talking about any post-credits scenes, although they would be appreciated. Rather, I'm talking about a full-on lineup of animated movies of similar quality, like the Disney Animated Canon before it.

This won't be a cinematic universe of ANY kind, no matter how many people want all roads to lead to a Smash Bros. feature film. We will be dealing with mostly unconnected movies that stand on their own as Nintendo adaptations.

Here's an added bonus: The cast lists of our upcoming Nintendo movie slate. This shall be updated for posterity over time.

Donkey Kong: Seth Rogen (Veteran VA)
Cranky Kong: Fred Armisen (Veteran VA)
Diddy Kong: Brian Hull
Dixie Kong: Tara Strong
King K. Rool: Idris Elba
Funky Kong: John Cena

Link: Timothee Chalamet
Young Link: Connor Fielding
Zelda: Zelda Williams
Ganondorf: Keith David
Sheik: Halle Berry
Navi: Jessie Cave
Impa: Halle Berry
Saria: Millie Bobby Brown
Ruto: Jodi Benson
Darunia: Patrick Warburton
Nabooru: Kathleen Turner
Rauru: Ke Huy Quan
Great Deku Tree: Michael Caine

Mario: Chris Pratt (Veteran VA)
Luigi: Charlie Day (Veteran VA)
Peach: Anya Taylor-Joy (Veteran VA)
Toad: Keegan-Michael Key (Veteran VA)
Wario: Danny Devito
Waluigi: Jim Carrey
Rosalina: Cameron Diaz (Mid-credits scene)
Daisy: Kaley Cuoco
Yoshi: Tom Kenny
Wart: Jeff Garlin
Mouser: Joe Pesci
Birdo: Kristen Chenowith
King Boo: Willem Dafoe (Post-credits scene)

Luigi: Charlie Day (Veteran VA)
Mario: Chris Pratt (Veteran VA; extended cameo for plot reasons)
Professor E. Gadd: Christopher Lloyd
Polterpup: Frank Welker
Boo (Normal): Johnny Depp
Gooigi: Charlie Day (Veteran VA, New Character)

Kirby: Grey DeLisle
King Dedede: Peter Dinklage
Meta Knight: Keanu Reeves
Bandana Dee: Travis Oates
Adeleine: E.G. Daily
Ribbon: Tara Strong
Nightmare: Robert Englund

Link: Connor Fielding (Veteran VA)
Skull Kid: Richard Horvitz
Tatl: Hailee Steinfield
Tael: Erica Mendez
Happy Mask Salesman: Bill Skarsgard
Tingle: Josh Gad
Mikau: Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Biggoron: Bill Fagerbakke
Japas: Jon Heder
Lulu: Kylie McNeill
Romani: Piper Nyman
Postman: Karan Soni
Captain Keeta: Frank Welker

Samus Aran: Brie Larson
Ridley: Mark Hamill
Kraid / Ridley's Roars: Dee Bradley Baker
Mother Brain: Sigourney Weaver
Baby Metroid: N/A
Adam Malkovich: Harrison Ford

Ness: Bryce Gheisar
Paula: McKenna Grace
Jeff: Hudson West
Poo: Albert Tsai
Pokey Minch: Trey Parker
Dr. Andonuts: Nick Kroll
Buzz Buzz: Patrick Stewart (through autotune)
Ness' Father: Ryan Stiles
Master Belch: Jim Cummings
Flying Man: Gaius Charles
Giygas: Matthew Mercer
Mr. Saturn: Rob Paulsen

And many more on the way!

Job #1: How often should we get a new Nintendo film?
Before we decide what Nintendo games get adapted first, we should ask ourselves how frequent these adaptations should be. It sets a pace for the quantity and quality of it all.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Job 1
I'll say two and a half to three years. About as long as the Mario movie. Although if this is pertaining to the thread specifically, maybe one job every couple days, and each week having a new film to work with.

Okay, so no one else voted. I guess Day 1 is over.

Unfortunately, there are only two options for how often a Nintendo movie should be released:

Two and a half years
OR
Three years

It's up to you guys to decide how often a new Nintendo movie should be released.

Oh, and two days between jobs, and a whole movie per week? Yeah, I might go with that plan.

Okay. Two and a half years it is.

Job #2: The Next Three Nintendo Films
Rather than selecting one movie at a time, let's choose the next three Nintendo Illumination Canon films. That way, it gives us three weeks prep time before choosing features after that.

Now, I would prefer to stick to mainstream Nintendo on this job, so we can't follow Mario up with something like Rhythm Heaven or StarTropics.

Other than that guideline, anything goes for the next three entries in the Canon.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
PUNCH-OUT!!!

The game already takes a good amount of thematic cues from Rocky, so why not make a movie out of it to further drive this homage home?
Plus, it would be pretty awesome if we could get Mike Tyson to play himself

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Fire Emblem Heroes

Think they could do this or focus on whatever the latest release at the time is but here you have flexibility to add elements from any Fire Emblem game. Would be cool to see the game get a boost of attention if it is still around at that point as well.

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
Donkey Kong

They said they would do it afterwards if it was popular and Donkey Kong is the character I'm most excited for.

What the heck. I'll add an idea myself.

Luigi's Mansion

It's one of the likelier Mario spinoffs to get an adaptation, and Charlie Day wants it to be turned into a movie.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The time to suggest new movies has ended. Here are the potential candidates:

Punch-Out!! ( Janx_uwu Janx_uwu )
Fire Emblem Heroes ( nirvanafan nirvanafan )
Yoshi's Island ( Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario )
The Legend of Zelda ( Northsouthmap Northsouthmap )
Donkey Kong ( Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP )
Luigi's Mansion (Myself)

Before we start the next job, we must vote for the top three selections. First pick gets three points, second gets two, and third gets one. Now, you cannot choose your own pick as #1.

1: Donkey Kong
2: The Legend of Zelda
3: Luigi's Mansion

Last edited:
After a few extra hours, the day has now ended. Let's tally up the votes:

Punch-Out!!: 5
Fire Emblem Heroes: 2

Yoshi's Island: 9
The Legend of Zelda: 11
Donkey Kong: 18
Luigi's Mansion: 9

Punch-Out and Fire Emblem have, understandably, lost. However, I will admit that using Fire Emblem Heroes as the basis for its movie was a great idea.

However, surprising no one is Donkey Kong and The Legend of Zelda scoring the most points. They will be our second and third movies after The Super Mario Bros. Movie in this imaginary canon.

But this is a surprise: We have a tie for third between Yoshi's Island and Luigi's Mansion, both getting 9 votes each. To deal with this debate, I propose another vote.

Would you prefer a Luigi's Mansion movie or a Yoshi's Island movie?

The bonus part of the second job will end on Saturday, which will be a resting day before we begin work on Donkey Kong.

Yes, people. Movie 2 of the Illumintendo Canon will begin renovations on this upcoming Sunday.

The votes are now closed. Time to pick the fourth Nintendo+Illumination movie.

Sorry, @DarkVortex, but in a scale of 3-to-1, Luigi's Mansion would be our next Nintendo film.

However, I shall make an executive decision as creator of this creation thread, and add a sequel to The Super Mario Bros. Movie after Zelda.

So, now the Canon looks like this:
  1. The Super Mario Bros. Movie (2023)
  2. Donkey Kong Country (2025)
  3. The Legend of Zelda (2028)
  4. Super Mario Bros. 2 (2030)
  5. Luigi's Mansion (2033)
A bit longer than I'd personally put up with to get to a sequel, but I don't want to have two executive decisions in one daily update.

We shall take a rest day today, but as I said before, we are going to start building the Donkey Kong movie. Stay tuned!

Last edited:
Job #3: Donkey Kong Country Plot
For this next challenge, we shall be brainstorming the plot of our next Nintendo-Illumination movie, that of Donkey Kong Country.

Namely, which game (or combination of games) should we take the premise of, and use it for our movie?

You have until Tuesday evening to decide.

Judging by the lack of responses, I am going to extend the voting for another day. You now have until Wednesday evening to lay out ideas for the premise of DKC: The Movie.

If no voting is made by then, I shall have to create a plot myself.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Donkey Kong, after finding the entire jungle's supply of bananas has been stolen, sets out on a journey to discover who did it. Unfortunately, it turns out that the bananas weren't growing due to the effects of climate change. As such, Donkey Kong becomes a climate activist and attempts to meet with the world's governments in order to bring bananas back onto the menu, but realising that the real threat is the corporations, he decides to take his role as the jungle's protector further. It's a long and arduous journey, but after getting a degree in law and becoming a successful lawyer, Donkey Kong is embroiled in a legal drama and must defend a small Midwestern town from the corporation (Kremling Co.) dumping toxic waste into the nearby river. Can Donkey Kong save the world from climate catastrophe? Or is it too late to turn the world around...

Last edited:
Donkey Kong, after finding the entire jungle's supply of bananas has been stolen, sets out on a journey to discover who did it. Unfortunately, it turns out that the bananas weren't growing due to the effects of climate change. As such, Donkey Kong becomes a climate activist and attempts to meet with the world's governments in order to bring bananas back onto the menu, but realising that the real threat is the corporations, he decides to take his role as the jungle's protector further. It's a long and arduous journey, but after getting a degree in law and becoming a successful lawyer, Donkey Kong is embroiled in a legal drama and must defend a small Midwestern town from the corporation (Kremling Co.) dumping toxic waste into the nearby river. Can Donkey Kong save the world from climate catastrophe? Or is it too late to turn the world around...
I'll give you this. It was an intellectual ****post.

"King K. Rool has stolen the banana supply of the Kongs, leading to a few starvation deaths on Kongo Bongo Island. In retaliation, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, and Cranky Kong, with occasional help from Funky Kong, take back their bountiful fruit from the Kremlings and their leader."

A bit bland, but one that can serve itself well to a sequel.

Last edited:

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
Plot: Donkey Kong and his friends lived together in peace on DK Isle, until one day when the evil King K. Rool decided to claim the island all for himself! So now the Kongs must fight for their island!

After getting an additional day by accident, the time for submitting concepts has ended. Here are the storylines.

Donkey Kong becomes a small town environmental lawyer to protect his family's banana hoard. KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99
K. Rool steals the banana hoard, and DK, Diddy, Dixie, Cranky, and Funky go out and save it. M Master Hero Sock-on-Rye
K. Rool begins a conquest for DK Isle, and the Kongs band together to save the island. Northsouthmap Northsouthmap

Since we only have three suggestions, vote for the one plot you want to use. And no, you can't choose your own premise out of this pile.

Voting shall end on Saturday night.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Knee's (given Seth Rogen would likely have a heavy hand in this film, I think it would be a pretty good fit. And I don't even find Seth Rogen that funny.)

The voting has now ended. Let's see...

Would you look at that? My premise got the most votes this time! I couldn't be happier!

Job #4: The Cast of Donkey Kong Country
Now that we've decided the premise for Donkey Kong Country as a movie, how about we decide who to cast as which characters?

DK and Cranky are disqualified, due to already being voiced by Seth Rogen and Fred Armisen, respectively. Anyone else is fair game for this job.

Voting ends on Tuesday evening. Giving people an extra day here.

Top Bottom