• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Mighty Marvel Melee - A Marvel Comics Platform Fighter

Include Megadoomer's comic panal idea?

• Yes

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Job 23: Jet Skates

Yes, Iron Man used to get around using roller skates. These gold boots will allow whoever's wearing them to move faster. (though maybe they'll make the user glow yellow for a bit or put a logo beside their health bar/percentage meter rather than having the boots on every character, for simplicity's sake)

Job 24: Classic/Arcade mode

I'm assuming this has the deck/page-building system, so you have to beat all of the opponent's characters to win. Opponents are random (like Melee's classic mode - they aren't the same every time), and you get more options as you unlock more characters. Assuming that there are difficulties, the lower difficulty would have the opponents using weaker versions of the playable characters (4-5 panel ones, so lower stats), while the higher difficulties would use the more powerful versions (7-8 panel ones where possible). Each CPU character has two player characters (effectively, two lives) in their deck/page, along with one support and one passive buff. (certain supports, like Ego the Living Planet or Galactus, might not be included with the CPU opponents)

Round 1: vs. one CPU opponent
Round 2: vs. one CPU opponent with items
Round 3: vs. two CPU opponents, free for all
Round 4: vs. two CPU opponents, who are on a team
Round 5: vs. three CPU opponents, free for all
Round 6: vs. three CPU opponents, free for all, with items
Round 7: vs. a boss - I'm thinking that this will be a non-player character, to make it clear that this is the end of arcade mode and to increase the spectacle beyond a normal fight. Not sure if you want us to come up with specific ideas for a boss, or save it for later.

As tempting as it is to include a rival battle like in Street Fighter IV or PlayStation All Stars, I didn't want to force it in there, since I find that it can lead to some REALLY random rivalries once we reach the end of the roster. (say, for example, the last two characters wound up being Thanos and Daredevil somehow) Plus, character interactions can be saved for story mode.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yes, Iron Man used to get around using roller skates. These gold boots will allow whoever's wearing them to move faster. (though maybe they'll make the user glow yellow for a bit or put a logo beside their health bar/percentage meter rather than having the boots on every character, for simplicity's sake)

I'm assuming this has the deck/page-building system, so you have to beat all of the opponent's characters to win. Opponents are random (like Melee's classic mode - they aren't the same every time), and you get more options as you unlock more characters. Assuming that there are difficulties, the lower difficulty would have the opponents using weaker versions of the playable characters (4-5 panel ones, so lower stats), while the higher difficulties would use the more powerful versions (7-8 panel ones where possible). Each CPU character has two player characters (effectively, two lives) in their deck/page.

Round 6: vs. three CPU opponents
Round 7: vs. a boss - I'm thinking that this will be a non-player character, to make it clear that this is the end of arcade mode and to increase the spectacle beyond a normal fight. Not sure if you want us to come up with specific ideas for a boss, or save it for later.

As tempting as it is to include a rival battle like in Street Fighter IV or PlayStation All Stars, I didn't want to force it in there, since I find that it can lead to some REALLY random rivalries once we reach the end of the roster. (say, for example, the last two characters wound up being Thanos and Daredevil somehow)
Bosses are coming!

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Job 24: Mighty Story

The role of a classic mode or arcade mode is filled by a short story mode called "Mighty X", with the X being substituted in for the character's name. It's very simmilar to Ultimate's classic mode, premade for every character. There's dialog before and after each match, with an individual match being described as Issue #1, #2, etc. There's 6 issues in a Mighty Story. The idea of this is to mimic all the side stories that accompany a big marvel comics event, in addition to a main story. I don't remember what story we're going with, but (for example) if we were doing my Axis idea from earlier...

Mighty Iron Man tells the story of Iron Man being inverted, and building an empire. Mighty Captain America has Steve try and figure out who's the same. Mighty Doc Ock would be about him trying to be a hero, etc.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Job 23

Symbiote Canister

Picking up a Symbiote canister gives your character a Symbiote which increases the users Speed and Jump Height while also changing their grab to a long range tether with a special more powerful throw.

Last edited:

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
Job #23: Destroyer Armor Prototype Gun
AE26961E-C193-4C25-9A69-E4D0DE029A70.jpeg

This weapon made it’s very first appearance in the Marvel Cinematic Universe in the first Avengers film and later Agents of SHIELD. The gun would be really heavy and slow down everyone carrying it. The gun also takes a long time to charge, but it will shoot out a huge laser (similar to the Destroyer) all the way across the stage. You would need to use this weapon with the perfect amount of timing and concentration.

D

Deleted member

Voting is done! Our submissions are:

Job 23

Symbiote Canister

Picking up a Symbiote canister gives your character a Symbiote which increases the users Speed and Jump Height while also changing their grab to a long range tether with a special more powerful throw.
Job #23: Destroyer Armor Prototype Gun
View attachment 342395
This weapon made it’s very first appearance in the Marvel Cinematic Universe in the first Avengers film and later Agents of SHIELD. The gun would be really heavy and slow down everyone carrying it. The gun also takes a long time to charge, but it will shoot out a huge laser (similar to the Destroyer) all the way across the stage. You would need to use this weapon with the perfect amount of timing and concentration.
View attachment 342420

S.H.I.E.L.D. Flight Harness

It's a rocket pack. How can you not love rocket packs?
Since we need more items, I'm going go be generous. We all be adding all four items. So Jet Skates, Symbiote Canister, Destroyer Armor Prototype Gun and Flight Harbess will be our items.

Our classic submissions are:

I'm assuming this has the deck/page-building system, so you have to beat all of the opponent's characters to win. Opponents are random (like Melee's classic mode - they aren't the same every time), and you get more options as you unlock more characters. Assuming that there are difficulties, the lower difficulty would have the opponents using weaker versions of the playable characters (4-5 panel ones, so lower stats), while the higher difficulties would use the more powerful versions (7-8 panel ones where possible). Each CPU character has two player characters (effectively, two lives) in their deck/page, along with one support and one passive buff. (certain supports, like Ego the Living Planet or Galactus, might not be included with the CPU opponents)

Round 6: vs. three CPU opponents, free for all, with items

As tempting as it is to include a rival battle like in Street Fighter IV or PlayStation All Stars, I didn't want to force it in there, since I find that it can lead to some REALLY random rivalries once we reach the end of the roster. (say, for example, the last two characters wound up being Thanos and Daredevil somehow) Plus, character interactions can be saved for story mode.
Job 24: Mighty Story

The role of a classic mode or arcade mode is filled by a short story mode called "Mighty X", with the X being substituted in for the character's name. It's very simmilar to Ultimate's classic mode, premade for every character. There's dialog before and after each match, with an individual match being described as Issue #1, #2, etc. There's 6 issues in a Mighty Story. The idea of this is to mimic all the side stories that accompany a big marvel comics event, in addition to a main story. I don't remember what story we're going with, but (for example) if we were doing my Axis idea from earlier...

Mighty Iron Man tells the story of Iron Man being inverted, and building an empire. Mighty Captain America has Steve try and figure out who's the same. Mighty Doc Ock would be about him trying to be a hero, etc.
We will be having a poll for these. If Mighty Story wins we will work out the details when we do story mode.

While we vote on this. We will be staring our next round
Job 25:
Submit a boss !
Time to submit a boss! These will appear in the classic mode, our eventful story mode, and possibly other modes. These will disconfirm future fighters! Assist haracters like Modok, Souron and (most crucialy) Galactus will be allowed as we can just say Assists wouldn't be usable during boss fights.

Speaking of. My submission will be:

Galactus

The world eater himself! Galactus will act much like he did in Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, but obviously reworked for a platform fighter. He will appear behind the fighters and tower over them, trying to crush and devour them.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Magus

An evil version of Adam Warlock, whether it's an alternate future version of himself or his own evil qualities made manifest. Possessing all of Adam Warlock's power and intellect with none of his restraint, Magus seeks to become omnipotent however he possibly can. His powers include sorcery, manipulating cosmic energy, and time manipulation, making him a powerful foe even without something like the Infinity Gauntlet. Considering that (much like Adam Warlock) he can manipulate matter to shrink a large creature down to handheld size, he could presumably also grow himself to be a much larger, more imposing size for a boss battle.

The reason why I picked him as a boss is twofold: he's known for making clones of various heroes to use as a distraction (which would justify why the heroes are fighting each other, both for classic mode and a possible story mode), and he's a big cosmic threat (being the central antagonist of the Infinity War comic) but not as popular as someone like Thanos. (so people would have less of a problem with taking him out of the running)

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Beyonder.jpg

The Beyonder

He is from Beyond the limits of the multiverse as we know it. The Beyonder comes from an empty white void where only it existed. Upon discovering the Marvel Universe, it took human form to better understand the nature of human beings.

Beyonder has show almost limitless power, swatting away Galactus like a fly, takes blasts from the Phoenix without flinching, and even killing Death itself. And then, making a new Death.

As an opponent, it's not a matter of what Beyonder can do, it's a matter of what he chooses to do as reality itself it little more than a toy to him.

D

Deleted member

Voting is over. We will be going for Megadoomer's pitch!

Time to vote for our boss:

Speaking of. My submission will be:

Galactus

The world eater himself! Galactus will act much like he did in Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, but obviously reworked for a platform fighter. He will appear behind the fighters and tower over them, trying to crush and devour them.

Magus

An evil version of Adam Warlock, whether it's an alternate future version of himself or his own evil qualities made manifest. Possessing all of Adam Warlock's power and intellect with none of his restraint, Magus seeks to become omnipotent however he possibly can. His powers include sorcery, manipulating cosmic energy, and time manipulation, making him a powerful foe even without something like the Infinity Gauntlet. Considering that (much like Adam Warlock) he can manipulate matter to shrink a large creature down to handheld size, he could presumably also grow himself to be a much larger, more imposing size for a boss battle.

The reason why I picked him as a boss is twofold: he's known for making clones of various heroes to use as a distraction (which would justify why the heroes are fighting each other, both for classic mode and a possible story mode), and he's a big cosmic threat (being the central antagonist of the Infinity War comic) but not as popular as someone like Thanos. (so people would have less of a problem with taking him out of the running)
View attachment 342478
The Beyonder

He is from Beyond the limits of the multiverse as we know it. The Beyonder comes from an empty white void where only it existed. Upon discovering the Marvel Universe, it took human form to better understand the nature of human beings.

Beyonder has show almost limitless power, swatting away Galactus like a fly, takes blasts from the Phoenix without flinching, and even killing Death itself. And then, making a new Death.

As an opponent, it's not a matter of what Beyonder can do, it's a matter of what he chooses to do as reality itself it little more than a toy to him.

Go vote! We will also be holding our next round

Job 26:
Submit a 70's character
Yep. You all kinda knew this was coming. Submit a Marvel character who debuted in the 70s.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
In case anyone needs a reference, here's a list of some major Marvel characters who debuted in the 70's - https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/marvel-s-bronze-age-the-comics-of-the-1970s

Edit: here's a more complete list that includes some that were left out of the first link, like Moon Knight and the Etemals - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Marvel_Comics_first_appearances

There's plenty to choose from, but I feel like we could use another villain, so...

Thanos

First appearing in 1973, in an Iron Man comic of all things, the Mad Titan is an Eternal from Saturn's moon Titan. Born with Deviant syndrome that gave him his purple craggly skin, Thanos fell madly in love with Death and would do anything to please her, whether it was wiping out all life in the universe or becoming omnipotent.

Even without the Infinity Gauntlet or various other reality warping devices such as the Cosmic Cube, Thanos is still a major threat to those around him. Capable of fighting Thor when Thor had the Power Gem or smacking around the Hulk, Thanos has incredible physical strength, along with the ability to fire energy beams from his eyes and hands or teleport.

Thanos has been at the center of plenty of cosmic Marvel events, but the Marvel Cinematic Universe definitely raised his profile among a casual audience, turning him from "who's that purple guy at the end of The Avengers?" into the overarching threat and the main villain of the series' climax in Avengers Infinity War and Avengers Endgame (along with the source of countless memes). Past fighting game appearances haven't always portrayed him in the best light (MvC2 had him throwing bubbles at people), but he's become more prominent in recent years (corporate synergy might play a part in that), so he's got more to draw from between games like Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Ghost Rider.png

Ghost Rider

After making a deal with the devil, the motorcycle stuntman known as Johnny Blaze was bonded with the demon Zarathos, turning him into a hellfire fueled and skull faced biker who seeks vengeance against those who would cause harm in the world.

While the chains and armored bike didn't become part of Ghost Rider lore until the 90s, the character originated in the 70s.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
89P13, also known as Rocket Raccoon
Debut: July 1976

1642187170294.png

Rocket Raccoon is a genetically engineered raccoon-like creature (he can't be a raccoon, seeing as raccoons don't live in space) who's known for being part of the Guardians of the Galaxy team. He very agile and wields guns.

The Guardians of the Galaxy have become extremely popular ever since their movie came out. Rocket is essentially the unofficial team mascot, having appeared in UMvC3 way before the movie came out, and I feel he would showcase the team's general wackiness better than anyone else. He's also got a bombastic personality that would be on full display in his taunts.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm going to continue posting movesets; I'll probably need to read more She-Hulk or Blade comics to get some ideas, but I can think of material for Thor and Ms. Marvel, at least. (though I'll stick to one at a time in case people have ideas for other characters; I don't want to monopolize movesets)

I'll post one for Ms. Marvel; as she's a newer character, there's less to work with, but I'm sure I can come up with something. (though due to her powers, she wouldn't have any projectile attacks, so she'd be a melee fighter with long range thanks to her stretching abilities)

Neutral Special: Gatling Punch. Kamala uses a flurry of punches - if anyone's familiar with One Piece, it's similar to Luffy's Gum Gum Gatling attack.

Up Special: Helping Hand. Ms. Marvel stretches her arm overhead and makes her hand grow larger, acting as a tether recovery.

Side Special: Super Face Kick. Ms. Marvel's leg stretches and her foot grows as she kicks straight forward; it has a long range but no recovery.

Down Special: Giant Smashy Punch. Ms. Marvel makes her fists larger before smashing them into the ground. (or, if she's in the air, swinging them both downwards)

Ultimate Attack: Embiggen! Ms. Marvel grows her entire body to a giant size, making her attacks more powerful (and give them longer range, due to her increased size) for a short time, and she can move around the stage normally. (I think transformation supers would be possible?)

I'll also post the panels for Galactus as an assist, along with a special 9-panel AI-only version if he winds up being a boss. (maybe beating arcade mode would unlock it in a gallery, even if it couldn't be used for normal gameplay)

Galactus, Devourer of Worlds.png

(and just for the heck of it, I put together a potential "Galactus deck" for a boss fight with him:

Galactus deck.png

I'm probably over-complicating things, but I like making these panels, and I wanted to throw in a reference to "Aunt May: Herald of Galactus")

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It's been over a week, so I'll post a Thor moveset idea. I'm picturing him as being a heavyweight like the Hulk, with all of his specials (not including his ultimate attack) being chargeable, making it so they can go farther and do more damage at the cost of leaving him wide open while they're being charged.

Neutral Special: Mjolnir Throw - Thor twirls Mjolnir, his hammer, by its strap before tossing it forward. Once it reaches its maximum distance, it reverses direction and heads back to Thor's hand. (not sure how his attacks would be impacted while it's out of his hand - it would probably be a bit much to make it so he has completely different attacks)

Up Special: Hammer Pull - Thor launches straight into the air with the hammer held in front of himself. This can be aimed, though he can only move in a straight line while using it.

Side Special: Shockwave - leaping forward with his hammer raised, Thor swings his hammer downwards in a mighty blow, similar to when he struck Captain America's shield in the original Avengers movie.

Down Special: Lightning Bolt - similar to Pikachu's Thunder, Thor holds out Mjolnir as a bolt of lightning strikes at his feet, starting directly above him and surging downwards.

Ultimate Attack: Jotunheim Joyride - Thor hops into a chariot being pulled by his goats, Tanngrisnir and Tanngnjóstr (loosely translated, Teeth-Barer and Teeth-Grinder), which rockets forwards. If it connects, it transitions into a cutscene super once it reaches the maximum distance that it would normally stop at, where all of the characters that the attack connected with are tied ot the back of the chariot as a portal opens up, sending Thor, the chariot, and the unlucky opponents to Jotunheim, home of the Frost Giants. There, Thor flies the chariot through the realm recklessly, smashing the bound opponents into Frost Giants and bits of the scenery, before another portal opens up to bring them back to the stage. (if there winds up being a Jotunheim stage, the portal just takes them to a different part of Jotunheim)

It will probably take me longer to come up with ideas for Blade and She-Hulk - I need to read more material that features them.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Blade moves

Neutral Special: Glaize Throw: Blade tosses out his throwing blades which then boomerang back to him)

Up Special: Circle of death (just like Link's up special)

Side Special: Sword Slasher: Blade makes several quick swipes with his sword

Down Special: Flash bomb: Blade uses a short ranged light explosive that briefly stuns whoever it hits

Ultimate Attack: Vampire Hunter: Blade charges at an enemy, then scene switches to silhouettes, as we see Blade unleash his arsonel on the opponent before finally driving his blade straight through where about their heart would be (understandably it won't line up perfectly on all characters)

D

Deleted member

Sorry this is so late.
Gamora_in_Marvel_Ultimate_Alliance_3-_The_Black_Order.png

Gamora
She was honestly one of the best additions MVC:I made. I think she could be a really fun way to rep the cosmic side of Marvel.

D

Deleted member

Job 27:

Add a stage tied to one of our characters
Pretty simple. Add a stage tied to a character we've added. Might add a couple of these depending on how many we get.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Ladeez, gentlemen, an' children of all ages -- Arcade welcomes you to -- MURDER WORLD, where nobody ever survives!!

Murder world.jpg

Murder World is a carnival/circus themed area with deadly twists. The stage transforms and/or moves as you fight on it letting the character duke it out in Aracade's various attractions, such as a ferris wheel, roller coaster, house of horrors, and giant pinball machine all while dealing the the various stage hazards and maybe even the occassional killer robot clown.

From time to time, Arcade himself will pop up on screen in the back and offer comments and taunts.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The Tomb of Dracula

Sharing its name with the 70's Marvel comic that Blade first appeared in, the Tomb of Dracula is a crypt deep beneath Dracula's Transylvanian castle. (okay, so nowadays, it's Romanian, but who's going to tell Dracula that?) The stage is dimly lit by torches to keep things visible.

The floor's given way in places, serving as the excuse for bottomless pits (I'm picturing something similar to the Jungle Japes stage from Melee), and there are other rotting boards of wood suspended from the ceiling to serve as platforms. Dracula makes an appearance in the background watching the fight (though if he becomes a support or playable character later on, he wouldn't be there if he's involved in the match), but he's only a background element, so even if Moon Knight becomes playable, he still won't be able to get his money from that big ****ing nerd Dracula.

Other Marvel vampires (Baron Blood, for example) or supernatural beings (such as Jack Russell/Werewolf By Night) could also appear in the background. As a stage hazard, swarms of bats could occasionally screech before flying through in preset paths, dealing minimal damage but dragging fighters along with them, though only to the extent of something like Whispy Woods's gusts of wind in Smash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's been a couple days. So you know what. We're gonna add all three.

Job 28:
Submit a 80's character
Yep. We're keeping at these. Submit a character who debuted in the 80s.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Are we going by Character Debut or Hero Debut?

For example, I want to submit Psylocke, Betsy Braddock debuted in 1976 but Psylocke debuted in 1986 would that be allowed?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Are we going by Character Debut or Hero Debut?

For example, I want to submit Psylocke, Betsy Braddock debuted in 1976 but Psylocke debuted in 1986 would that be allowed?
Sure. I feel that shes most iconic in that role so I'll allow it.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Death's Head-1.jpg

Death's Head

He might be a bit obscure for this, but I do so love the occassional odd choices for characters.

Long before Deadpool, Death's Head was the original Marvel Merc with a mouth, just don't call him a mercenary. He prefers the term "freelance peacekeeping agent. Death's Head is a robot (he prefers the term 'mechanoid') mercenary that's traveled through time and between dimensions so much he's a paradox several times over. He's also one of the only Marvel characters who's backstory directly involved both the Transformers and Dr. Who. He also tends to end a lot of his sentences with "Yes?"

In battle, he would be a heavy weight character with a large assortment of weapons, both ranged and melee to draw from.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Psylocke

Kwannon also known as Psylocke is a Mutant with the power of Telekenesis and the power to create psychic constructs

She is a popular character appearing in many crossovers

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Rogue (first appeared in 1981)

Originally an enemy of the X-Men working with Mystique, Rogue eventually joined the team, becoming one of its most prominent members thanks in part to the 90's cartoon. This southern belle has the ability to drain the energy from anyone that she touches, allowing her to temporarily gain the powers, memories, and physical abilities of someone.

Gameplay-wise, this could lead to her having a similar gimmick to Kirby, where she grabs a character in order to use a version of their neutral special. (there are cases where this logically wouldn't make sense, like with Iron Man's tech, but What If comics have already had her copy Thor's worthiness for wielding Mjolnir, so we can fudge some details)

In addition, most incarnations of the character have flight or super strength permanently absorbed from someone like Carol Danvers or Wonder Man, so she could be a brawler with a lot of aerial mobility in exchange for having no projectiles aside from what she can copy.

EDIT: Also, I made some more panels recently. I'll spoiler-tag them to be safe, though fair warning that the third one is somewhat spoilery for a fairly recent run. I also threw in a guest character who's technically under the Marvel umbrella, and another character just because I could. (I might have gone a bit overboard with making panels for the last one, but considering who it is, I feel like it's justified)

Also, here's the Thanos panels, since he's in the game:
Thanos panels.png

Captain America Sam panels.png

green goblin panels.png

Elektra panels.png

shuma gorath panels.png

Vader panels.png

Superman panels.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Img_0022_venom_mout.obj.png

Venom
A bit obvious but a choice that makes sense. Gonna link Megadoomer Megadoomer 's write up for quickness

Job 19: Venom (Eddie Brock)

One of Spider-Man's biggest villains, along with the Green Goblin and Doc Ock - he may not have the history of the other two (they appeared in the early 60's, whereas he didn't show up until the late 80's), but he's definitely a huge threat to Spider-Man, considering that he knows Spidey's identity and is immune to his Spider-Sense. Eddie Brock was a journalist who was disgraced when Spider-Man inadvertently exposed his shoddy journalism, getting him fired from his job. A chance encounter with a symbiote that Spider-Man had cast off caused the two of them to become Venom, combining the skills and knowledge that the symbiote inherited from Spider-Man with Eddie's rage and bitterness.

As tempting as it is to submit someone like Mysterio or Sandman, I thought it would be best to nominate an obvious pick right off the bat - I wouldn't want everyone to assume that a character is too obvious and that someone else will submit them instead, leading to nobody submitting them. Venom would be on the heavier side, given his size (especially when compared to Spider-Man), and in addition to having Spider-Man's powers, he can also use the symbiote's shape-shifting abilities to his advantage, as seen in the Marvel vs. Capcom and Marvel Ultimate Alliance games.

---

In a nice coincidence, I'll be going to see Spider-Man tonight, but after that (or tomorrow afternoon, depending on how late it is once I get back from the movie), I'll edit in some movesets. I won't cover Namor (since tonygameman tonygameman seemed to have a lot of interest in that), but I think I'll make a moveset for Dr. Doom, at least.
Our other entries
View attachment 344947

Death's Head

He might be a bit obscure for this, but I do so love the occassional odd choices for characters.

Long before Deadpool, Death's Head was the original Marvel Merc with a mouth, just don't call him a mercenary. He prefers the term "freelance peacekeeping agent. Death's Head is a robot (he prefers the term 'mechanoid') mercenary that's traveled through time and between dimensions so much he's a paradox several times over. He's also one of the only Marvel characters who's backstory directly involved both the Transformers and Dr. Who. He also tends to end a lot of his sentences with "Yes?"

In battle, he would be a heavy weight character with a large assortment of weapons, both ranged and melee to draw from.

The Power Pack. They were introduced in 1984. They work as a cycling character like the Pokemon Trainer and can be switched out with their down special move.
Psylocke

Kwannon also known as Psylocke is a Mutant with the power of Telekenesis and the power to create psychic constructs

She is a popular character appearing in many crossovers

Rogue (first appeared in 1981)

Originally an enemy of the X-Men working with Mystique, Rogue eventually joined the team, becoming one of its most prominent members thanks in part to the 90's cartoon. This southern belle has the ability to drain the energy from anyone that she touches, allowing her to temporarily gain the powers, memories, and physical abilities of someone.

Gameplay-wise, this could lead to her having a similar gimmick to Kirby, where she grabs a character in order to use a version of their neutral special. (there are cases where this logically wouldn't make sense, like with Iron Man's tech, but What If comics have already had her copy Thor's worthiness for wielding Mjolnir, so we can fudge some details)

In addition, most incarnations of the character have flight or super strength permanently absorbed from someone like Carol Danvers or Wonder Man, so she could be a brawler with a lot of aerial mobility in exchange for having no projectiles aside from what she can copy.

EDIT: Also, I made some more panels recently. I'll spoiler-tag them to be safe, though fair warning that the third one is somewhat spoilery for a fairly recent run. I also threw in a guest character who's technically under the Marvel umbrella, and another character just because I could. (I might have gone a bit overboard with making panels for the last one, but considering who it is, I feel like it's justified)

Also, here's the Thanos panels, since he's in the game:
View attachment 345027

Venom - @Darkonedagger
Death's Head - Oddball Oddball
Power Pack - Tekken_Guy Tekken_Guy
Psylocke - cashregister9 cashregister9
Rouge - Megadoomer Megadoomer
Whenever I've been doing polls barely anyone has voted in them so we're going back to old fashioned voting. Vote for your top three. Your own can't be in first.

My own:
1. Psyloke
2. Rouge
3. Venom

Job 29:
Submit an asssit from the 60s, 70s or 80s
Submit an asssit from one of the decades we've covered. I'm hoping to maybe add one per decade depending on how many we get. But don't be afraid to submit from the same decade as someone else though.

My submission:
cd3.jpg

Cloak and Dagger (80s)
Cloak will teleport on to the stage and shroud fighters, allowing Dagger to shoot out her little, well, daggers, to attack foes.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
1. Psylocke
2. Venom
3. Rogue

Assist nomination:

Howard the Duck (first appearance: 1973)

Trapped in a world he never made!

Starting out as a cameo in a Man-Thing storyline, a thinly-veiled homage to Donald Duck, Howard the Duck was originally created by Steve Gerber. He's seemingly best-known for a movie from the 80's, which had George Lucas as an executive producer and was by all accounts terrible. (though Marvel was more willing to acknowledge its existence than they were for Fant4stic, so points for that!)

Trapped in Earth and separated from his home dimension, Howard settles in Cleveland, where he tries to live a normal life (getting a job as a cab driver, for example), only to get interrupted by menaces such as Doctor Bong (named for the massive bell-like helmet on his head) or a vampiric cow. Obviously, this series doesn't take itself seriously.

Howard isn't much of a fighter, but when push comes to shove, he can use Quack-Fu, so his assist would involve him attacking the opponent with martial arts techniques, albeit with cartoony, exaggerated animations like something out of a Donald Duck or Daffy Duck cartoon (though legally distinct from that, of course). The individual attacks wouldn't do much damage, but they'd be able to hit the opponent quickly.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Thanos moveset:

Neutral Special:
Energy Blast - Thanos can project energy through his eyes or hands, but I figure it's best for him to fire the energy from his hands to try and separate him from Darkseid somewhat.

Up Special: Teleport - Thanos summons his techno-mystical transport chair, sitting down on it before it teleports into the air above him. Once he reappears, he stands up and the chair disappears. This wouldn't do any damage, but it's an effective recovery move.

Side Special: Chopper Dash - Thanos summons a double-bladed sword similar to what he uses in the climax of Avengers Endgame, dashing forward while spinning it similarly to the propeller of a certain type of Earth vehicle (though held in front of him rather than over his head - it's as close as I can get to referencing this)

Down Special: Force Field - Thanos creates a barrier around himself, in case he needs extra protection from damage. This barrier can decrease the damage from attacks, and it remains active while he moves, though it either takes a certain amount of attacks or last a certain amount of time.

Ultimate Attack: Time Mind Sync Warp - the air in front of Thanos ripples, and anyone caught in this psychic attack is put through a psychedelic dimension that causes death or insanity to those who experience it. (Though for gameplay purposes, it just deals damage) For balance purposes, it deals the same amount of damage regardless of whether the character is resistant or immune to psychic powers in canon (ex. Magneto or Juggernaut if they get in) or psychic themselves (ex. Jean Grey, Emma Frost, Psylocke).

Seeing as the Infinity Gauntlet's already an item, I didn't want to involve it in Thanos's moveset.

I'll see what I can come up with for She-Hulk, unless anyone else has any ideas.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Both Howard the Duck and Cloak and Dagger wi be getting in!

Here are our results

Venom - 5
Death's Head - 0
Power Pack - 2
Psylocke - 8
Rouge - 9
And by literally just one point, our winner is...

86badef990688fc836823e1be734f57cdee53f73_hq.gif

To celebrate her addition we're going to be doing two new jobs

Add an X Men Stage

Add an X-Men related asssit.

Pretty simple stuff! But I believe these jobs should he a lot of fun

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
X-Men Stage: Danger Room

The Danger Room starts out as a chrome empty room with a Battlefield-like set-up, almost like a training stage (and if hazards can be turned off, maybe that's what it could serve as). However, they don't call it the Danger Room for nothing - designed to test the skills of the X-Men in as many ways as possible, various weapons and traps can activate on their own to keep players on their toes, the stage can break apart and change its layout, and even the background can change to simulate a variety of environments, such as a volcanic wasteland or the surface of the moon.

While the possibilities are theoretically limitless, it's probably best to keep it to a handful of different environments/platform configurations.

X-Men Assist: Dust

A younger member of the X-Men, Dust can transform her body into sand, moving fast enough to create a miniature sandstorm. That could serve as her assist technique, not doing much damage but compensating for that by launching whoever's hit by it a great distance.

Also, I posted these earlier, but seeing as I already made Rogue panels, I might as well post them outside of the spoiler tag. (I find it fun to make these; I'll make panels for the support characters when we get more of them)
Rogue panels.png

Oddball

Smash Lord
Stage: Sentinel Factory
4e7c1e29d4a9932890ecbf826925086d.jpg

Sentinels and partially assembled sentinels act as both stage hazards and even platforms.

Assist
Shatterstar

shatterstar-header.jpg

Shatterstar jumps around and unleashes a series of sword attacks.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Rogue moveset:

Neutral Special:
Power Drain. Pulling off her glove, Rogue grabs onto the opponent, damaging them a little bit if she connects. An icon appears next to her health bar, and until she's hit hard enough, takes enough damage, or taunts, her neutral special changes to the neutral special of whoever she grabbed. Much like Kirby, in some cases where an outside object is required (like Captain America's shield), she spawns an equivalent (in this case, a silver metal disc).

I realize this power normally only works with skin-on-skin contact, so it wouldn't be possible against the likes of Iron Man or Dr. Doom, or non-organic beings like Ultron if he's added, and it wouldn't work against people with tech-based powers like Doctor Octopus or Iron Man, but for the sake of gameplay, it would work the same for everyone.

Up Special: Flying Uppercut. Rogue's power-set has varied over the years, but the two powers that she's borrowed/stolen for an extended period of time (Carol Danvers' and Simon Williams') both had flight, so at the very least, she'll be able to use a Shoryuken-style uppercut that launches her high into the air for this game.

Side Special: Belle of the Brawl. Rogue flies straight ahead, repeatedly alternating between left and right haymakers.

Down Special: True Grit. Similar to Ryu's Focus Attack, Rogue charges up a punch that stuns the opponent for longer, and she can take one hit while doing so.

Ultimate Attack: Sentinel Slam. A Sentinel lands behind her (regardless of where the stage is, so even indoors or in the depths of space - they are determined), though if a Sentinel becomes a playable character or an assist, it would be a different model to avoid confusion. It tries to subdue Rogue, but she flings it over her shoulder, similar to a scene from the intro of the animated series. She then grabs onto the cables and smashes it into the ground on either side of her a few times for good measure, and it eventually blows up.

---

She-Hulk moveset:

Neutral Special:
Sidebar Stomp. She-Hulk stomps the ground, creating a green shockwave around her.

Up Special: Legal Liftoff. Much like the Hulk, She-Hulk can leap great distances, so she shows that off here by leaping high into the air. This acts as a command grab; if she connects with the opponent, she'll use them as a platform to jump off of, launching them downwards and giving her more height.

Side Special: Counsellor Clothesline. She-Hulk runs forward, swinging her arm to clothesline whoever's in front of her.

Down Special: Objection Overruled. This is a counter, where She-Hulk strikes a familiar stance while mocking the opponent (presumably, the mockery is generic, rather than being tailored to each character). If they attack her while she's doing this, she grabs the opponent and slams them to the ground.

Ultimate Attack: Breaking the Fourth Wall. She-Hulk gets into the stance of an Olympic runner before dashing forward. Once she travels a far enough distance (much like Joker's Final Smash), whoever she ran into crashes through the white space between a panel into a comic page (the backgrounds are generic, though they change with each panel with no rhyme or reason - so you start out in an apartment only to get knocked into Asgard). She-Hulk slams and smashes her opponents through the panels as through they're walls or floors, finishing off with a huge stomp that tears a hole in the bottom of the page and sends her opponent(s) crashing back onto the stage.

---

Also, I decided to see what our line-up's like so far with a visual; we've got some pretty good variety at the moment. (smaller panels are support characters, aside from Galactus - he's both a support and a boss, so I went with the boss one)

line-up so far.png

D

Deleted member

Finally updated the OP! I've added all the content we've added since I last updated it, which was around when we added Blade and She-Hulk so it took a while to catch up!

Heres our polls! New jobs should start tomorrow night. I wanna get this thing running regularly again.

Stages:

Summons:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I put together about sixty help panels, along with the panels for the support characters that we've added since Galactus. Even with all of these extra panels, there are still characters that I could add, such as Namor's supporting cast, Ares, or the Black Order.

help panels 2.png

1. Hyperion
2. Nighthawk
3. Power Princess
4. Doctor Spectrum
5. The Whizzer
6. Amphibian
7. Golden Archer
8. Lady Lark
9. Blue Eagle
10. Tom Thumb
11. Arcanna
12. Nuke
13. Spider-Man 2099
14. Hobgoblin
15. Morbius
16. The Prowler
17. Silver Sable
18. Crimson Dynamo
19. Titanium Man
20. Iron Monger
21. Madame Masque
22. Whiplash
23. Arnim Zola
24. Sin
25. Diamondback
26. Constrictor
27. Nick Fury Junior
28. Valkyrie
29. The Wrecker
30. Thunderball
31. Bulldozer
32. Piledriver
33. Fandrall
34. Hogun
35. Volstagg
36. Gorr
37. Scott Lang
38. Egghead
39. Maestro
40. Xemnu the Living Hulk
41. Moonstone
42. Shatterstar
43. Sunspot
44. Omega Red
45. Spiral
46. Marrow
47. High Evolutionary
48. Arcade
49. Puppet Master
50. Victorious
51. Umar
52. Dweller-In-Darkness
53. White Tiger
54. Hellcat
55. Hammerhead
56. Magus
57. Mary Poppins, y'all Yondu
58. Phyla-Vell
59. The Beyonder
60. Mobius M. Mobius

These are all organized in roughly the same order as my first set (Spider-Man --> Avengers characters and their supporting cast --> X-Men --> Fantastic Four --> Magic --> Street Level --> Cosmic), though I put the Squadron Supreme in the first row because I wanted to make sure to include them this time. (plus, I finally included all of the Marvel characters who were playable in the Versus series with the inclusion of Omega Red, Spiral, and Marrow)

For Crimson Dynamo, I went with the first armour - it's probably not the most intimidating-looking, but there are thirteen or fourteen Crimson Dynamos, so the first one seemed like the safest bet.

Supports B.png

Considering how the poll is going, I feel like it's safe to say that Shatterstar is going to win this one.

I might try to make sprites, even if it's just one per playable character; I'm not sure how well it's going to go, but I figure it's practice, at least.

Also, making these has reminded me that I need to read more X-Men comics; I know nothing about Shatterstar outside of his Deadpool 2 appearance, and while I feel like there are a ton of X-Men that I could/should add, I can't think of specific examples.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think I'll try to make mock-ups for stages; at the very least, it seems like it would be less complicated than making sprites for characters.

For example, here's a mock-up of the Multiverse stage - I'm sticking with a white silhouette for the actual stage elements because I'm not much of an artist. (also, it makes them stand out more) I couldn't find a clear image of the dimension that looks like shattered glass (the one that the Watcher views the multiverse from in What-If), though I figure it would transition between that and various other backgrounds as the match goes on.

multiverse stage.png

Also, I made panels for a few other characters, including Hawkeye.

hawkeye panels.png

Also, Clint Barton.
clint barton panels.png

ghost rider panels.png

If anyone has any characters that they'd like me to make panels for, let me know and I'll try. (there might not be enough material in some cases)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom