• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Mighty Marvel Melee - A Marvel Comics Platform Fighter

Include Megadoomer's comic panal idea?

• Yes

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

The results are in:

• Venom - 4
  • Doc Ock - 11
  • Green Goblin - 4
  • Kraven - 2

And so our winner Is..

Doctor Octopus!

A very good choice! His arms will certainly help him stand out form the other fighters!

The other characters may still get a chance to get in so do not despair

Job 20:
Submit a Stage:
A bit of a simple one. Submit a stage. No real rules or themring here. Submit the stage and its layout.

Job 21:
Submit an assist character:
Time to add a few more of these. No real themeing. Submit them and what they do. Remember that these disconfirm characters from the roster.

We might add a couple each from these jobs depending on how many submissions we get.

Bit if a side post. Would you guys want to up the rose size? 38 might not give us enough room

Last edited by a moderator:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Job 20

Castle Von Doom

This stage is of Dr. Doom's Castle located in Doomstadt, Latveria.

The Layout would start on top of the bridge and then travel to various locations throughout the castle. The traveling platform has the layout of Battlefield with 4 platforms.

Job 21

Iceman

Iceman once summoned would enter in a similar fashion to his intro in MVC2

And then he would go around the stage using his ice powers to damage and freeze opponents, wherever he goes he also leaves behind a trail of ice that trips opponents who run over it.

------------------------

Yeah I think upgrading the roster to an even 40 or 45 might give some more leeway.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Job 20: Jersey City

Jersey City is Ms. Marvel's home, and it's so relatively supervillain-free compared to New York City that the Shocker feels like he could be considered an arch-nemesis there. I'm picturing a stage loosely similar to Onett, centered around the Circle Q convenience store. The stage is a walk-off with two distinct areas - the street, where you have to contend with traffic, and the roof, which is traffic-free but much closer to the blast zone.

Fire escapes and awnings could serve as platforms between the two sections, and Ms. Marvel's supporting cast could make cameo appearances in the background.

Job 21: Sauron

Dr. Karl Lykos has a relatively normal backstory. A brilliant Argentenian hypnotherapist, he was attacked by a mutated pteranodon and somehow became an energy vampire, feeding off of humans and animals to survive. Upon feeding off of a mutant, he transformed into a human-pteranodon hybrid. Embracing his evil nature, he took on the name of the most evil being that he could think of, calling himself Sauron. (Yes, he intentionally named himself after the Lord of the Rings villain)

As an assist, he'll fly around the stage, latching on to anyone who gets close in order to drain their energy. He may want to turn people into dinosaurs, but it seems tough to represent that in a game like this. Whoever he grabs can mash the control stick or attack buttons to break free.

EDIT: I've decided to type up a Dr. Octopus moveset, since he's in the game and I'm still pumped from seeing No Way Home. In my mind, he'll have great range thanks to the tentacles, but his recovery won't be great depending on the circumstances.

Neutral Special: Obsolete. Otto's tentacles flail wildly around himself, acting as a multi-hit attack.

Up Special: Obstinance. Doc Ock's tentacles reach diagonally upwards (more up than to the side), acting as a tether recovery. If it hits an opponent or a ledge, he pulls himself up to them, but if it misses, he goes into a free-fall.

Side Special: Obstacles. Ock's tentacles launch straight ahead, acting as a command grab. If he grabs the opponent, he picks them up and slams them into the ground.

Down Special: Obstruction. Two tentacles form a wall in front of Otto, and if someone attacks him with the tentacles up, a third tentacle grabs the enemy and throws them.

Ultimate Attack: Obsession. Ock's tentacles are flung forward, and it turns into a cutscene super where whoever the attack connects with appears in a warehouse. Ock is working at a work bench, and as the opponents jump at him, the tentacles smack them out of the air. Satisfied, he leaves as the tentacles smack the enemies into a wall. A blurry first person perspective shows the opponent(s) recovering just in time to zoom in on what Ock was working on - a bomb, with the countdown at 2 seconds. Cut to outside, where Doc Ock is leaving a warehouse in New York City's harbour as it explodes behind him.

If it's used on Spider-Man, maybe there could be an extra bit at the end where Spider-Man lifts the rubble off of himself before crawling out from under it. It would do the same amount of damage as if it's used on anyone else, but I figure that lifting massive amounts of rubble is a Spider-Man staple, and if it's going to be tied to anyone, it might as well be the villain who started the trend.

(I was pleasantly surprised to find out that not only did I keep the theme of having his specials start with "O", but I also managed to get eight O's in there)

EDIT 2: Here's panels for Doc Ock and the currently nominated support characters. (in the future, I'll likely wait a bit before making the support characters, since there's less content required) I managed to sneak in a Superman cameo in one of them. (only his leg, but it's the closest that we'll get)

Doc Ock panels.png

Supports B.png

Also, I made a few additional sets of panels since the last time I posted them, but I'll put them under spoiler tags to keep the page from being unnecessarily extended thanks to images.

squirrel girl panels.png
(Squirrel Girl)
Hela panels.png
(Hela)
Punisher panels.png
(The Punisher)
Gwenpool panels.png
(Gwenpool)
Deadpool panels.png
(Deadpool)
ant-man panels.png
(Ant-Man)
wasp panels.png
(The Wasp)
Ultron panels.png
(Ultron)
Doctor Strange panels.png
(Dr. Strange)
loki panels.png
(Loki)
kang panels.png
(Kang the Conqueror)

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord

This isn't a Marvel Vs. Capcom game. That game also had a heavy reuse of sprites, which this wouldn't have. Also MVC3 literally did have less than that
I know.

But it's still a Marvel Fighting game and I figure if you're going to do a new game, you always want to go bigger especially for these fantasy threads. I never understood those people that want to make a Smash Bros roster, but smaller than the one we already have.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I know.

But it's still a Marvel Fighting game and I figure if you're going to do a new game, you always want to go bigger especially for these fantasy threads. I never understood those people that want to make a Smash Bros roster, but smaller than the one we already have.
The big difference is that Marvel vs. Capcom 2 was an asset flip game, whereas this hypothetical one isn't (and it's a different type of fighting game on top of that). It's like saying that the next BlazBlue game (if there is one) should have 50+ characters because that's how many were in BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle, or that Dragon Ball FighterZ should have over a hundred characters because Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 had 161 (or around 100 not counting transformations) - it's not always feasible to go bigger.

(plus, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, much like BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle, is a crossover on top of being a game that heavily reuses assets from other titles, so there's a bigger pool to draw from)

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Job 20:
Eternals Earth Born Celestial 300 Miles Tall | Screen Rant

Tiamut (Eternals franchise)
This stage would take place on the dead of Tiamut, a celestial who was almost born at the expence of all life on Earth. You would fight on two of his fingertips, with his head staring in the background. The Eternals might show up in the background, as well as Atlanteans that are confused about the large corpse on their lawn.

Assist: Galactus (Fantastic Four/Silver Surfer)
Galactus Arrives in Fortnite! Join the fight on December 1

Galactus is an immensely important part of the Marvel universe, but he's a bit large to be playable (he generally goes between somewhere around as tall as the Empire State building and Jupiter). He would be a very rare spawn, and when he does, he taps his finger on the stage and engulfs it in a burst of light (or however he eats planets, does he have good table manners?). The players then teleport through space or another dimension to a random stage.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Storm specials

Neutral Special: Downpour! - Storm creates a cloud which she can control as long as the special button is held down. (she's immobile while controlling it) Releasing it will cause the cloud to pour rain, which travels downwards for a certain amount of distance. If it's close enough to the ground, it creates a puddle. If the opponent is hit by the rain or steps in a puddle, they're soaked, and Storm's side and down specials (along with any other attacks that involve ice or lightning) do significantly more damage.

Up Special: Swirling Tempest! - Storm creates a small tornado at her feet, launching herself into the air

Side Special: Lightning Storm! - Storm shoots a bolt of lightning from her hands with fairly long range

Down Special: Frozen Void! - icy winds whip around Storm, forming a hemisphere around her and freezing whoever touches them

Ultimate Attack: Eye of the Hurricane! - Storm creates a hurricane around herself, and she can move back and forth with herself at the center. The hurricane has a large range on either side of Storm, but the opponents are safe if they are directly underneath her. (there's not a lot of space beneath her, though) Anyone caught in the hurricane is gradually damaged throughout its duration.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Job 20

Hell's Kitchen - This is the home of Matt Murdock, a blind lawyer by day and Daredevil by night. I would imagine this stage to be similar to the Silph Co. stage from Super Smash Bros. 64 where players will fight upon one of the rooftops.

As for Job 21, I'll come back for that one in which I will edit my post.

D

Deleted member

After some thinking, we will be upping the character amount to 40!
I will updating the OP accordingly.

Here are the polls for this current round:

We will also be starting our next job. And it's a character one!

Job 22:
Submit a character who debuted in the 60s:
We're going all the way back! Submit a Marvel character who first appeared in the 1960s.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Bruce Banner/The Hulk (debuted 1962)

A lot of my comics knowledge comes from the 60's comics, since I tend to fall into the trap of wanting to read the earliest stuff first. As a result, there are a lot of characters that come to mind for this prompt, between original Avengers, Fantastic Four members, various villains, solo heroes like Daredevil or Dr. Strange, etc.

However, the Hulk feels like a character who needs to be in here. One of Marvel's oldest characters, the Hulk was created only a year after the Fantastic Four. A twist on Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, the Hulk is one of Marvel's most popular and enduring characters. (Though that didn't seem to be the case back in the 60's - his initial series only ran for six issues before being cancelled, he was a founding member of the Avengers but quit the team after two issues, and he wound up as a secondary storyline in Ant-Man's anthology comic Tales To Astonish)

Gameplay-wise, the Hulk would be quite different from the current cast that we have, being a big bruiser and a heavyweight. He's got a bunch of video game appearances to draw from for a fighting game moveset, between Capcom's fighting games starting with Marvel Super Heroes, the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games, solo titles like The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, and many more. (On top of almost sixty years of comics, plus movies, animated shows, etc.)

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
Job #22: Fin Fang Foom
Fin_Fang_Foom.gif

Here's a special guest appearance from me! And also this weird alien dragon man who sometimes wears purple shorts. Too big? Well, among one of his several powers is to shrink down to human size. He can also fly, spit acidic mist, shapeshift into other animals, drain and use energy to power himself, as well as redirect it, and shoot out eyebeams that turn others into animals or even bring inanimate objects to life. He's usually a villain, and menaces everyone from Iron Man to Thor to the Hulk to whole teams of Avengers to, of course, Squirrel Girl, but he predates all of those, debuting the same year as the Fantastic Four and being part of Marvel's earlier, pre-superhero era monster stuff before eventually popping back up in their main continuity. Mostly, I just wanted to submit a strange, yet still somewhat prominent character.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If anyone's not sure which characters debuted in the 60's, this might help - https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Category:1960_Character_Debuts

The top of the article has links to character debuts by year, so anything from 1960 to 1969 is fair game, whether it's Xemnu the Living Hulk, the Invisible Woman, Magneto, or Sam Wilson (The Falcon or Captain America, depending on your preference).

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
The God of Thunder, Thor Odinson
Debut: Journey into Mystery #83 (August 1962)
1641413418265.png

The prince of Asgard is basically the only one of Avengers's "big three" (Him, Iron Man, Cap) isn't in yet, but that's hardly the only reason to include him. His main weapon, Mjolnir, allows him to create lightning and even lifts him into the air, in addition to being a strong melee weapon.

Thor is a founding member of the Avengers in both the main comics and the MCU, and he's actually the only one of the three I mentioned who has a future in the latter as he's getting a movie this year. His comics are also still being pretty well received from what I hear (though that's based on what I heard in 2019 and I'm not up to date as far as comics are concerned, and it also comes from a secondhand source)

I know this is a bit of a basic choice but not having Thor in a Marvel fighting game would just be weird in this day and age.

D

Deleted member

I'm going to wrap up voting for the previous round.

Our stages will be Tiamut and Hell's Kitchen!

Our asssits will be Sauron and Galactus!

My submission

Doctor Strange
The sorcerer supreme. Created in the 60s by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko. A once arrogant surgeon, he loses the ability to use his hands in a car accident. He goes to visit the mysterious Ancient One to heal himself, ending up learbing magic, becoming a powerful sorcerer. They are setting him up to be one of the main players in the mcu post endgame. His magic abtiles would give him a very fun moveset

Submissions for the character will stay open till tomorrow.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
After some thinking, we will be upping the character amount to 40!
I will updating the OP accordingly.

Here are the polls for this current round:

We will also be starting our next job. And it's a character one!

Job 22:
Submit a character who debuted in the 60s:
We're going all the way back! Submit a Marvel character who first appeared in the 1960s.
Character Name: Black Bolt
Character Debut: Fantastic Four #45 (1965)

1641475226255.png

Black Bolt is the king of the Inhumans, a group of individuals who possess a latent gene within them that allows them to gain incredible powers upon exposure to the Terrigen Mists. Introducing Black Bolt would allow us to introduce another notable and important aspect of the Marvel universe to the roster as well! However, it's more important to consider movesets, and even this would work well. Black Bolt's specific power is that of manipulating unknown electrons, but the main way in which it works is by creating huge soundwaves from his voice (giving him powerful AoE attacks.) He's also able to fire small projectiles of energy, and gliding as well. This means that he's in an unusual situation where he could have quite unusual abilities for a fighter, as well as representing a unique part of Marvel's universe (even if the series wasn't so great.)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
View attachment 341976

The prince of Asgard is basically the only one of Avengers's "big three" (Him, Iron Man, Cap) isn't in yet, but that's hardly the only reason to include him. His main weapon, Mjolnir, allows him to create lightning and even lifts him into the air, in addition to being a strong melee weapon.

Thor is a founding member of the Avengers in both the main comics and the MCU, and he's actually the only one of the three I mentioned who has a future in the latter as he's getting a movie this year. His comics are also still being pretty well received from what I hear (though that's based on what I heard in 2019 and I'm not up to date as far as comics are concerned, and it also comes from a secondhand source)

I know this is a bit of a basic choice but not having Thor in a Marvel fighting game would just be weird in this day and age.
I like that you used art from Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes; that show was great.

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
Character Name: Magneto
C5CC5DED-8CBB-4E6C-AEA4-A0FB67EE892B.png

Character Debut: “The X-Men” #1 (September, 1963)

Magneto is known to be one of the X-Men and Marvel’s most iconic and powerful villains. Magneto is a mutant with the power to manipulate all forms of magnetism at his own will. Erik grew up in Nazi Germany, being a Jew he was sent to a concentration camp to suffer, until eventually being saved. Magneto seeks to protect mutants from suffering a fate similar to his own at the hands of a world that persecutes his fellow mutants. Magneto is such an important part of Marvel and the comic industry, it would be weird not to have him in a platform fighter that celebrates the history of Marvel.

D

Deleted member

Time to vote!

Bruce Banner/The Hulk (debuted 1962)

A lot of my comics knowledge comes from the 60's comics, since I tend to fall into the trap of wanting to read the earliest stuff first. As a result, there are a lot of characters that come to mind for this prompt, between original Avengers, Fantastic Four members, various villains, solo heroes like Daredevil or Dr. Strange, etc.

However, the Hulk feels like a character who needs to be in here. One of Marvel's oldest characters, the Hulk was created only a year after the Fantastic Four. A twist on Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, the Hulk is one of Marvel's most popular and enduring characters. (Though that didn't seem to be the case back in the 60's - his initial series only ran for six issues before being cancelled, he was a founding member of the Avengers but quit the team after two issues, and he wound up as a secondary storyline in Ant-Man's anthology comic Tales To Astonish)

Gameplay-wise, the Hulk would be quite different from the current cast that we have, being a big bruiser and a heavyweight. He's got a bunch of video game appearances to draw from for a fighting game moveset, between Capcom's fighting games starting with Marvel Super Heroes, the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games, solo titles like The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, and many more. (On top of almost sixty years of comics, plus movies, animated shows, etc.)
Job #22: Fin Fang Foom
View attachment 341885
Here's a special guest appearance from me! And also this weird alien dragon man who sometimes wears purple shorts. Too big? Well, among one of his several powers is to shrink down to human size. He can also fly, spit acidic mist, shapeshift into other animals, drain and use energy to power himself, as well as redirect it, and shoot out eyebeams that turn others into animals or even bring inanimate objects to life. He's usually a villain, and menaces everyone from Iron Man to Thor to the Hulk to whole teams of Avengers to, of course, Squirrel Girl, but he predates all of those, debuting the same year as the Fantastic Four and being part of Marvel's earlier, pre-superhero era monster stuff before eventually popping back up in their main continuity. Mostly, I just wanted to submit a strange, yet still somewhat prominent character.
View attachment 341976

I'm going to wrap up voting for the previous round.

Our stages will be Tiamut and Hell's Kitchen!

Our asssits will be Sauron and Galactus!

My submission

Doctor Strange
The sorcerer supreme. Created in the 60s by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko. A once arrogant surgeon, he loses the ability to use his hands in a car accident. He goes to visit the mysterious Ancient One to heal himself, ending up learbing magic, becoming a powerful sorcerer. They are setting him up to be one of the main players in the mcu post endgame. His magic abtiles would give him a very fun moveset

Submissions for the character will stay open till tomorrow.
Character Name: Black Bolt
Character Debut: Fantastic Four #45 (1965)

View attachment 342001

Black Bolt is the king of the Inhumans, a group of individuals who possess a latent gene within them that allows them to gain incredible powers upon exposure to the Terrigen Mists. Introducing Black Bolt would allow us to introduce another notable and important aspect of the Marvel universe to the roster as well! However, it's more important to consider movesets, and even this would work well. Black Bolt's specific power is that of manipulating unknown electrons, but the main way in which it works is by creating huge soundwaves from his voice (giving him powerful AoE attacks.) He's also able to fire small projectiles of energy, and gliding as well. This means that he's in an unusual situation where he could have quite unusual abilities for a fighter, as well as representing a unique part of Marvel's universe (even if the series wasn't so great.)
Character Name: Magneto
View attachment 342048
Character Debut: “The X-Men” #1 (September, 1963)

Magneto is known to be one of the X-Men and Marvel’s most iconic and powerful villains. Magneto is a mutant with the power to manipulate all forms of magnetism at his own will. Erik grew up in Nazi Germany, being a Jew he was sent to a concentration camp to suffer, until eventually being saved. Magneto seeks to protect mutants from suffering a fate similar to his own at the hands of a world that persecutes his fellow mutants. Magneto is such an important part of Marvel and the comic industry, it would be weird not to have him in a platform fighter that celebrates the history of Marvel.
In list form:
Hulk - Megadoomer Megadoomer
Fing Fang Foom - AlRex AlRex
Thor - Jondolio Jondolio
Doctor Strange - @Darkonedagger
Black Bolt - KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99
Magneto - evanwoo10 evanwoo10

Vote as usual. Don't put your own in first place. Due to us getting some heavy hitters here, we may end up adding two characters!

Last edited by a moderator:

AlRex

Smash Lord
1. Hulk
2. Magneto
3. Fin Fang Foom

A lot of good options here, though.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
1. Magneto
2. Thor
3. The Hulk

All of these would be great picks (special shout-out to Fin Fang Foom - I never considered him before this and didn't realize that he could shrink, but I love this idea and I definitely want to see him included at some point (plus, his name's really fun to say)), but these three feel like they have to be in here in my opinion.

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
1. Thor
2. Hulk (obviously, those two would be in a E3 reveal trailer alongside six first fighters)
3. Fin Fang Foom

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
1. Thor (He'd be an obvious choice. His moveset writes itself, his general design is easy to work out and he's popular.)
2. Hulk (Again, an obvious pick. He also has MCU star-power and a lot of cool moveset potential with his stronk. playstyle.)
3. Doctor Strange (He has a lot of potential given he's a magic-user, plus he's pretty popular what with his MCU appearances.)

D

Deleted member

Voting is done!

Our results:
Hulk - 20
Fing Fang Foom - 4
Thor - 18
Doctor Strange - 5
Black Bolt - 0
Magneto - 10

Our winners are the incredible Hulk and the God of Thunder Thor ! Congrats to Megadoomer Megadoomer and Jondolio Jondolio ! It's good to get these extremely iconic characters on our roster !

New Job will be starting soon.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I posted these earlier under spoiler tags, but I'll repost them outside of spoiler tags now that the characters are in the game:

Hulk panels.png

Thor panels.png

Also, here's my idea for a Hulk moveset:

Neutral Special: Gamma Punch - the Hulk winds up, glowing green when he's fully charged, before punching with all of his might. This move has super armour.

Up Special: Atomic Leap - the Hulk leaps high into the air before crashing down to the ground. On his way up, his head deals damage, while his feet damage the opponent (and spike) on the way down.

Side Special: God Crusher - a command grab - the Hulk reaches forward, and if he grabs the opponent, he uses the exact same slamming motions that he used on Loki in the Avengers movie. This can be interrupted by outside attacks, but it's best to do so with a projectile, since getting too close leads to him using the grabbed opponent as a weapon.

Down Special: Car Boxing Gloves - a car appears in front of Hulk, which he rips in half before using the halves of a car as boxing gloves. These power up his punches, but only last a certain amount of hits. (stronger attacks damage the gloves more, so he could use a bunch of light attacks before they break, but a fully charged neutral special would break them in one hit, though that one hit would probably be the most powerful special attack in the game - after all, "Hulk strongest there is!")

Ultimate Attack: Worldbreaker - the Hulk slams his fists into the ground rhythmically, creating a series of spherical shockwaves that get bigger and bigger as he gets angrier and angrier. The attack ends when he slams both fists into the ground, creating the biggest shockwave of them all, and roars in frustration/anger.

Basically, I picture him as a brawler - no projectiles, just purely focusing on getting in close and beating down on the opponent.

I think I'm going to play The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, since coming up with a Hulk moveset reminded me of how much fun that game was.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Planning on updating the OP. I just haven't been myself.

This game has been super slow lately (my fault) dso to make up for it we'll be doing two jobs. We're gonna gonna doing a few of these filling things out jobs before our next characters.

Job 23:
Submit an Item
Submit an item. No real themeing here but jts been a while since we did these. I was debating even keeping them but I don't wanna scrap anyone's submissions so we're gonna keep at it

Job 24:
Submit a format for classic / arcade mode
A pretty simple one. How should the Arcade (or classic to use a Smash term) mode go. We will be holding a vote about a possible "story mode" at a later date so keep that in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom