• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Smashboards Creates] - Mega Man: Super Fighting Robots! (An all new fighting game in the Mega Man world!)

What should this game's name be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge

So, turns out the last time we saw our classic Blue Bomber in a self-titled fighting game was back with Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters in 1996, and whilst we've seen him in games since - such as the Marvel vs Capcom series and, of course, Super Smash Bros., I think this is as good a time as any to bring him back into the ring - and this time, his whole world is coming with him!

Of course, we'll need to do a little bit of thinking as to what to include.

Job #01: Should we limit this to the Classic series, or extend it to the greater Mega Man world?
There it is - the first job! For all intents and purposes, the "Classic Series" is defined as basically anything in the "Classic canon." This includes (amongst others), Mega Man 1 - 11, Mega Man and Bass, the Mega Man World series originally released on the Gameboy, and perhaps even some more weird and obscure titles like Mega Man's Soccer, Super Adventure Rockman and screw it, the DOS games. (amongst others.)

Whilst the greater series would include basically everything else - Classic, X, Zero, ZX, Legends, Battle Network and Star Force, there'd have to be a lot more "lock-in" characters (i.e., the 6 different variations of "Mega Man" would need to be included, as would most likely two Zeroes, etc.) and it may be a bit more difficult to prevent the roster from becoming bloated. Even so, I want to leave this up to y'all because, let's be honest, democracy is cool. Tell ya what, let's go for a second job too!

Job #02: What sort of name should we have for this?
Whilst I'm sure the name may somewhat be affected by the first job, I think it could be a cool place to start here. We can't really do a character job yet, so this is the next best thing - right? Feel free to go wild here, we'll be doing voting when we do it.

Anyways, I hope this is of interest to you. It's a little more niche than some of this site's other wonderful creation threads, but hopefully we can cultivate it into something special! Keep safe and stay well, y'all.

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Job #1: Classic takes top priority, the greater Mega Man world is limited through small guest appearances only meant for the icons not in the classic series to get in

Gonna be honest that's probably a mouthful but I couldn't think of a way to shorten it, anyways I think having other Mega Man characters should happen but they absolutely don't share a spotlight with classic. Since this is probably the only time a Mega Man fighting game is going to happen we shouldn't lock out most of the series well-known characters, however that doesn't mean all the other characters (most notably the other 5 Mega Mans) should get easy spots in (or at all), and this is mainly for characters like Zero, Tron Bonne, and Sigma to get in the fighting game which I assume many people would be begging to happen.

Last edited:

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
I may be biased, but I wanna keep this mostly limited to the Classic series. I won’t object to some appearances from the others, but I just love Classic too much.

If we stick to Classic, I’m even open to seeing some of its more obscure media getting references, like WonderSwan Mega Man & Bass, Rockman Strategy, or the two PC games.

AlRex

Smash Lord
I think the main focus should be classic, but big characters from other incarnations showing up (Zero, Tron Bonne, etc.) wouldn't be bad. I don't think every single Mega Man necessarily has to be in.

D

Deleted member

Classic focused but with some appearances from the obvious outside names X, zero, those guys

Super Fighting Robots is a pretty great name honestly

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Okay, we may as well close out here! I'd just like to thank y'all for your contributions already - it's really nice that people are interested! So, on that: Job #1 suggests (in a landslide) that we should be focused on the Classic games, and should have later characters in the timeline as bonuses. Sounds fun!

With that, I think it's reasonable for us to have Mega Man, Proto Man, Bass and Dr. Wily as lock-in characters. They'd be voted in soon enough anyway, so it's reasonable to see them straight away! Before we can elaborate on this, though, let's look at Job #2:
  • Megaman Classic Throwdown
  • Super Fighting Robot
Feel free to vote for your top pick! I'm going to use the poll at the top for this one. It'll be ready shortly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, next up is a couple of... perhaps more interesting jobs that y'all might be more interested in! Starting with "the big one,"

Job #03: Submit a (non-Robot Master) Character!
Why the embargo on Robot Masters? Well, we can do special jobs for Robot Masters down the line - they're likely going to make up the bulk of the roster. (Note that this doesn't include characters like Dark Man, by the way.) But yeah - go wild! It'd be really fun to see who y'all are going to go for. The only real rule is that they can't be one of our limited guests (yet!) but the Classic series should have plenty of ideas if you're interested.

Job #04: Submit a Roster Size!
How many characters should this game have? Are we talking an artesan, handpicked wicker basket of a roster closer to that of Arc Sys's games of around 15, or are we going for a huge smashfest of around 50?? Feel free to go wild, any number's on the table.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, keep safe and have fun!

D

Deleted member

Roll
After the ones already listed, I think she's the next must have character for a classic roster. She already has a couple fighting game appearances to her name, and considering our roster may be a little light on female characters I think it's good to get her in there.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
I may as well get in on the action for once:

#03.
Character Name: Enker
Character Origin: Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge (1991)

enker.png

I think the first question many people will instinctively ask here is, "Why Enker?" It's a good point. Over more well-established characters like Duo, Terra or Cossack, or even other notable "villainous" forces like King or Quint, I think Enker has an interesting place here with a great representation of the Gameboy titles - and, most notably, the Mega Man Killers. Being arguably the defacto leader of the trio, and incredibly single-minded in his directive, it makes him incredibly effective as a villainous, rival-like force unlike that of characters like King.

Why should the Mega Man Killers be represented, though, over other relatively obscure villainous characters from a similar era? The answer, simply, is their relative importance and recognisability. Mega Man 10 is my best example of this, featuring the three of them fighting against Mega Man one last time in all new DLC levels. Enker's role as the space-faring rival to Mega Man, with a single-minded but stoic and calm determination to destroy him once and for all, also makes for a lot of interesting narrative potential should a story come about - a very different presence to the almost manic nature of Bass and the sheer destructive force that is Wily. He feels like a truly unique force at play in a story like this.

Not only this, but he'd have a very unique playstyle - playing into how his Special Weapon, the Mirror Buster, is almost completely used as a defensive tool, I think that Enker could play into this with a somewhat unique style to anyone else - other Robot Masters and characters focus almost completely on offense (except maybe Proto Man?) but Enker's playstyle rewards him reading the moves of his opponents, and then managing to strike with his spear. Admittedly, his close-up attacking style isn't completely unique to him (see characters like Sword Man, Slash Man and Pluto) but combined with his evasive, defensive and calm playstyle, it'd effectively represent his personality in-game.

Tl;dr, he's a cool character with a unique personality and a very unique defensive playstyle who'd likely have a very high skill ceiling as a result.

#04.
Personally, I think a solid starting number for this game would be around 36. It'd give enough wiggle room to fit in at least a few Robot Masters from across the series, gives plenty of leeway for other characters, and even a little space for guests!

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team

Roll
After the ones already listed, I think she's the next must have character for a classic roster. She already has a couple fighting game appearances to her name, and considering our roster may be a little light on female characters I think it's good to get her in there.
I really wanted to submit Roll too, but isn't she a robot master?

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Technically but I'm pretty sure Robot Masters is just referring to the the bossses here. But I could be wrong. I'll swap it out anyway.
In this case, "Robot Masters" are just the bosses. (I probably should have been clearer on that front - I'm really sorry!)

This doesn't include major characters like King or Rockman Shadow, nor does it include groups like the Genesis Unit, but it does include the bosses from the various games (ie, Air Man, Fuse Man) as well as Stardroids and the Dimensions. Hope that's a bit clearer, and sorry again!

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
JOB 03: Met
Origin: Mega Man (1987)

The Met is an iconic robot from the Mega Man franchise who hides under their indestructible hard hat, waiting to peek out and attack when the Blue Bomber least expects it! They've appeared in almost all of the games (excluding the Legends games) and are very resourceful, piloting various types of transportation and equipment. I'd consider Met an essential addition to the roster.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
May as well close voting here! Looking at the submissions we got, and the point that the roster's currently at, I think we may as well add all of them! It brings our roster to a nice 7 characters, which is a good position to be in. Also, given the only submission for Job #04 was 36, that's the number we'll go with. Overall a strong start, but that brings us to a very important point...

Job #05. What sort of gameplay does this have?

Are we talking a more traditional fighter, akin to Street Fighter? Maybe a fusion between modern and classic in a similar vein to Power Fighters... or are we going for the classic gameplay in a whole new context? Be it a Smash-clone or something altogether new, I'd be ecstatic to see your ideas! This'll also cover the basic concept for movesets, which will be a key part of jobs going forward.

Job #06. Submit a "Home Stage" for Mega Man.
Best to start safe and keep it to just one character for now - where would his main stage be? Would there be any unique mechanics or character appearances? Be aware, a character appearing as a background element doesn't disquallify them from being playable later, so go wild!

I hope these are good and fun starting points for today's jobs! It's been a pleasure - see ya around and keep safe y'all!

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
Job 5:

A little boring, but I'm submitting a similar gameplay style to X series. Why that and not the Classic series? Well, it's mostly because the Classic series is known for being relatively simpler in terms of mechanics and gameplay, whereas the more advanced X series would be easier to transfer over and I feel that its faster, more precision based gameplay would make for a more hectic, but fun experience, making it almost comparable to Melee in a way.

Besides, the main focus is on the Classic series, so this would make for a nice change of pace and could potentially compensate for the lesser amount of X series characters.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
#05: Rivals gameplay with a universal Double-Gear system.

The Double Gear is a mechanism invented by Dr. Albert Wily while he was still partners with Dr. Light. When the Double Gear was turned down by the funding committee of Robot University in favor of Thomas Light's independent thought project (which would evolve into Robot Masters and later, Reploids), Wily swore vengeance on the world for not recognizing his genius, setting up the events of the Classic series. Much later on, in Mega Man 11, Dr. Light proposes Mega Man utilize the Double Gear system in an effort to stop Dr. Wily once again.
In gameplay, Mega Man can use one of the gears to increase his speed, and the other to increase the power of his attacks. Super Fighting Robots would have something similar, where you can hold the left or right bumpers (or whatever you haved either gear mapped to) to increase your speed or power for a short time. However, there is a meter that prevents you from abusing it, just like in MM11, but the meter is overall a bit shorter. Going over the meter will result in a ton of self-damage and slow your attacks a bit. You can also choose not to use either Gear, and if you reserve the energy, the Double Gear next to your character portrait will suddenly gain a third green gear. Pressing both bumpers now will allow you to perform a Double Gear Attack, which will be unique for each character and like a Final Smash. So do you want to save up your Gear Energy to have a super-powerful and awesome-looking attack, or occasionally activate one or the other to get out of unfavorable situations and pile on damage? The choice is yours.

#06: Robot Museum

As who is essentially representative of Robot Masters as a whole, it makes sense for his home stage to be a museum of famous robots. There aren't a ton of stages in Mega Man representative of the titular character, but I feel this one does a good job of representing what he himself represents. This would be the Museum from Mega Man 7 and would be a ringout-styled stage like KoF Arena. Cameos would be statues of previous Robot Master bosses encased in concrete, like Cut Man, Pharoh Man, and Blizzard Man.

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
#05: Rivals gameplay with a universal Double-Gear system.

The Double Gear is a mechanism invented by Dr. Albert Wily while he was still partners with Dr. Light. When the Double Gear was turned down by the funding committee of Robot University in favor of Thomas Light's independent thought project (which would evolve into Robot Masters and later, Reploids), Wily swore vengeance on the world for not recognizing his genius, setting up the events of the Classic series. Much later on, in Mega Man 11, Dr. Light proposes Mega Man utilize the Double Gear system in an effort to stop Dr. Wily once again.
In gameplay, Mega Man can use one of the gears to increase his speed, and the other to increase the power of his attacks. Super Fighting Robots would have something similar, where you can hold the left or right bumpers (or whatever you haved either gear mapped to) to increase your speed or power for a short time. However, there is a meter that prevents you from abusing it, just like in MM11, but the meter is overall a bit shorter. Going over the meter will result in a ton of self-damage and slow your attacks a bit. You can also choose not to use either Gear, and if you reserve the energy, the Double Gear next to your character portrait will suddenly gain a third green gear. Pressing both bumpers now will allow you to perform a Double Gear Attack, which will be unique for each character and like a Final Smash. So do you want to save up your Gear Energy to have a super-powerful and awesome-looking attack, or occasionally activate one or the other to get out of unfavorable situations and pile on damage? The choice is yours.
Honestly, this is way better than my idea, especially since mine is just a rehash of pre-existing gameplay.

On the other hand, since Met is playable and some non-Classic characters are allowed, I may have a certain X character in mind for a future job. ;)

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Well, jobs are closed! First up is a decision on Job #5 between:
  • X/Zero series inspired gameplay!
  • Rivals gameplay with Double Gear system!
Though, given Butters Stotch Butters Stotch 's response, I think we can safely say the latter is the decided upon.

Also, with only one submission, Robot Museum is the stage representing Mega Man!

Well, now we're at a fun situation... with the gameplay style decided upon, we can look at movesets, leading to the next job:

Job #07: Submit a moveset (or at least some special moves and a "Final Strike") for Mega Man.
Mega Man's unusual nature overall leads to a quite interesting situation when it comes to how we represent him. Do we have him act as the approachable, beginner-friendly character, or should he be more complicated and interesting overall? Feel free to go wild!

Job #08: Submit a home stage for Proto Man.
With Mega Man's haunt now being the Robot Museum, where's Proto Man going to be based? Unlike the Blue Bomber, Proto Man has quite a few locations of his own across the series - but would we use one of them, or something altogether unique?

Well, with that done, I'd like to once again thank you all for your involvement! This seems to be cooking nicely - keep safe y'all!

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
While I don’t have any specific ideas down right now, I wonder if it would be interesting for Mega Man’s moveset to be changed to try and not include any Robot Master weapons. If he only made use of the Mega Buster, Charge Shots, Mega Arm, Mega Ball, his support units, things like the Magnet Beam and Items 1-3, the Wire, the Balloon, and his other basic abilities like the slide and the Mega Upper. Although, I also kinda feel like it might be better to give this kind of moveset to Roll instead? I’m not sure at the moment.

As for Proto Man’s home stage, I will suggest a rather generic stage and submit the City Rooftops. This is basically just the game’s Final Destination, taking place on the flat roof of a skyscraper. Kind of inspired by Mega Man 2’s title screen. The main reason I’m picking this is because I really don’t think Proto Man has any specific location that truly suits him…unless you want to say the Proto-Castle. But a stage based on that should be saved in case any of the Dark Men join the battle down the line. And besides, it doesn’t hurt to get a Final Destination equivalent out of the way early on.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
JOB #07: Mega Man Moveset
Jab/F-tilt/Nair, Down Tilt, Up Tilt, and Forward Smash are the same as in Smash. Charge Shot has more of a green/blue theme to it though, like in Mega Man 4.

Neutral B - Copy Ability. Like a reskin of Kirby's copy ability, but functions like Villager's pocket. Mega Man holds his non-buster hand out and a little slot opens up on his wrist. If a projectile gets close enough to him in a short amount of time, it will get sucked in through the slot on Rock's wrist and Rock will then gain his opponent's Neutral B, He also gets their default color scheme.

Side B - Functions like Crash Bomb in Smash, but it's actually his Mega Arm from Mega Man V which explodes on impact instead of sticking around.

Down B - Spawns a Mega Ball, which works a bit like Wii Fit Trainer's soccer ball but Rock kicks it upward instead of headbutting it downwards like Wii Fit.

Final Strike - Super Mega Man

Mega Man fuses with his pal Rush to become Super Mega Man! All of his abilities are enchanced, except for Neutral B, which is now a double-buster charge shot that's basically a Mario Finale lite and ends the Final Strike before the timer normally would.

JOB #08: Proto Man stage
Yeah, I agree with Torgo. Proto Man's a bit of a loner, and the rooftops above Monsteropolis a nondescript 20XX city suit him quite well for such a personality.

Oh yeah, and speaking of Monsteropolis, will weirder/non-game stuff be allowed for serious submissions sometime in the future, like Aki Light or Skull Egg Zone?

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Some awesome submissions here, and I'm sorry about the brief hiatus! On Janx_uwu Janx_uwu 's point, I think including non-game stuff would be really fun - though ideally we'd want to keep a focus on game stuff if possible. Even so, it'd be a great thing to see!

Anyways, Mega Man's moveset may as well be a fusion of the ideas suggested by Torgo the Bear Torgo the Bear and the specials suggested by Janx_uwu Janx_uwu - sounds like a really fun and interesting idea! Also, on Proto Man's stage, the Rooftops is a pretty solid submission from y'all so we'll go with that! :D

Anyways, let's get onto Job #09:

Job #09: Submit a Robot Master!

That's right! The first of, likely, many jobs like this - feel free to submit any Robot Master you like! Please note that this (as of yet) doesn't include characters such as the Mega Man Killers, Genesis Unit or Stardroids, but does include any of the "traditional" Robot Masters.

Job #10: Submit a Stage for Bass!
With Mega Man and Proto Man now having a stage of their own each, it'd be nice to see what y'all have in mind for Mega Man's arguably greatest rival, Bass. Similar format to some previous ones but hey, what can ya do!

Anyways, keep safe y'all! Sorry again about the hiatus, though. I'll try and keep on top of it all better!

Robot Master:
Wood Man

Wood Man is one of Robot Masters that appeared in Mega Man 2. He is a Robot, who has ability to create a leaf barrier around himself and he was built by Dr. Wily.
He has very unique design, because he is made out of wood, including his external mechanisms with metallic coat for his protections.

He would have cool moveset, since he could use nature-based moveset like his iconic leaf barrier and he could throw leafs at opponents like shurikens.

I really like him, so that's why I chose him as robot Master.

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
(Picture to be added later)
Splash Woman
The only female boss in the series (and one of four total female characters in the Classic games’ canon), Splash Woman is a mermaid who wields the Laser Trident. She can use this trident for a swordfighter style of gameplay, but the trident can also fire laser projectiles. She also has a beautiful singing voice, and in her boss battle, she could use her voice to call upon robot fish to help her, which we can replicate here. I think it would also be fun if she could swim through the air to an extent.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Job #09:
Character Name: Gravity Man
Character Origin: Mega Man 5

1648997606110.png
1648997681095.png

Making it onto the box art of Mega Man 5's American and European releases, Gravity Man would be a pretty unique addition to a game like this. Despite his Special Weapon, the Gravity Hold, not being particularly well-suited to a more traditional fighting game, the mechanic of gravity manipulation would make him very interesting from a stage control perspective. Most prominently, I'd compare him to someone like Viridian in Indie Pogo. Not only this, but his big and heavy nature combined with his stage control would make him an intriguing threat to handle.

Job #10:
Stage Name: Wily Tower

1648997984324.png

Based on Bass's boss fight in Mega Man 8, on the third level of Wily's Tower, this stage would take place inside this arena, which takes the form of an elevator moving up the tower. Upon reaching the top, the cables are cut and it briefly goes into freefall, but once more begins to rise once it reaches the bottom. The unique nature of this stage - as well as the use of freefall allowing a lot of mixups - would likely make this stage non-tournament-legal, but it'd be fun to see and a great representation of one of Bass's greatest battles.

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Robot Master: Block Man (Mega Man 11)
1648997298729.png

Block Man is a Robot Master that can summon Blocks, man.

But why pick him? Well Block Man was the first revealed Robot Master for 11 and I thought it'd be cool for the latest game in the series to get representation, but mostly since we're taking Rivals gameplay I thought it'd be funny to include a Kragg-like (being Block summoners) and 11 was the game that brought the Double Gear system, so theoretically Block Man is the best character to represent the ideas of our new gameplay.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
JOB #09: DWN-044, KNIGHT MAN

Knight Man (from Mega Man 6) would attack using various weapons from medieval ages, like his main flail and shield seen above, maces, one and two-handed swords, javelins, axes, battering rams, or my personal favorite, the Man Catcher, which looks like this and would be a badass command grab. He'd be kind of like Byleth, but use way more weapons and just be a way cooler character overall.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Yup! I'm really sorry about the delay on that 😅

So! Now's the chance to vote for your top three choices! The overall top 3 are gonna get in - so vote wisely! Also, Wily's Tower gets in as Bass's stage by default.

As for the next job:

Job #11: Submit a "home stage" for Roll!
Same old, same old. Where's her base going to be? The choice is yours!

Job #12: Submit an Item!
Okay, so this is a bit weird but here's my thinking - submit something, at all, that could be used as an item in game by anyone. This'd function similarly to items in the Smash series - so go wild with your ideas!

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
1. Shadow Man (I have a soft spot for Ninjas)
2. Splash Woman (Would be a cool character to add and I can't think of a platform fighting character that uses a trident so that's something I'm very interested in seeing)
3. Block Man ([K][r][a][g][g][,] [f][r][o][m] [R]i[v][a][l]s] [o][f] [A][e][t][h][e][r])

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Item: Gear Recovery

An item designed for competitive play, this will often spawn near players and depletes some of your Speed or Power Gear, depending on which one is closer to overheating. You only have to touch it, not pick it up, for the effect to take place.

Roll's Home Stage: Light Labs (exterior)

Dr. Light's Laboratory (or Light Labs, as it is sometimes referred to as in outside media) is where a lot of the pacifistic happenings of the games occur. While Rock is out saving the world or whatever, Roll stays home to watch after Eddie and the rest of the pets, keep Dr. Light sane, and manage the shop with Auto. I'd like to reserve the inside of the laboratory for if Auto or Light himself become playable, but the outside of the building is not only just as iconic, but much more meaningful to Roll's history. After all, it was where she made her first appearance!

As for the layout, basically I would think of it as an off-centered Loud House from NASB with the building portion being quite a bit smaller.

Last edited:
Top Bottom