• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards Creates: Marvel VS CAPCOM, Licenses Edition!

AlRex

Smash Lord
Marvel and CAPCOM have finally gotten together to do another installment of their iconic crossover fighting game series but, somehow, through a freak circumstance, they lose the rights to the characters they once previously had ownership of, and yet, they have somehow gained the free reign to use every character they've gained the use of through licensed comics or games (barring other comics characters for Marvel and Marvel characters themselves for CAPCOM). It's a ridiculously improbable scenario, but it is the premise of this thread.

So, pretty much, everything from these lists is eligible: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/rubicon/lists/marvels-licensed-titles/58780/ https://capcom.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Licensed_Games

Now, with that established, three things first:

Job #1: Who should the debut "Marvel" and "CAPCOM" characters be? (You're picking one for each)

Job #2: Which game should this installment most play like?

Job #3: How big should the roster be? (Preferably an even number)

Let's go crazy!

To add onto later...

Roster (4/40 so far)

"MARVEL"
1. Darth Vader (Star Wars)
2. Godzilla

"CAPCOM"
1. Xenomorph (Alien VS Predator)
2. Predator (Alien VS Predator)

Stages

Gameplay Modes

Arcade Mode
Versus Mode

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
My choices

1: Optimus Prime (Transformers) and Scrooge McDuck (DuckTales)
Marvel's Transformers comics are perhaps the most well-regarded licensed comics they've done, as well as some of the best regarded Transformers material in general. IIRC, Marvel writers were involved in general with the naming and story set-up of the Transformers in America in general. So Optimus Prime, the Autobot leader and signature character of that series, makes sense. On the other hand, DuckTales usually springs to mind for CAPCOM's licensed games, and top quality licensed games in the NES era in general, so Scrooge also makes a certain amount of sense. Both are very well-known characters that are distinct from each other, so it'd be a good tack to take for these two to lead.

2: I would imagine most would like it to be like MVC2 and MVC3, with the 3V3 switching out teams and hyper-combos and all that. More specific mechanics would remain to be seen, like the X-Factor and all that.

3: Roster size...maybe 56. That was MVC2's number, and this is already pretty ridiculous. That would be about the limit for me, though.

1. He-Man (Marvel) & Xenomorph (Capcom)
1659122283063.png
1659122309061.png

Yes, they are both iconic fictional characters and they could make sense in the fighting game based on licensed media. Alien is one of most influencial sci-fi horror movies and Masters of Universe is also one of most popular Mattel toylines after Barbie.

He-man stars in MoU comics, which they got created by Marvel comics.
Xenomorph appeared in Alien VS Predator game, which it was created by Capcom.

He-man is a main protagonist from He-Man and masters of universe toyline series and he is a blonde man who wants to defeat the skeletor with his sword.
Xenomorph is a fictional species from Alien movie series and it resides the planet called Xenomorph prime.

Xenomorph could be have similar playstyle to Ridley, but more fitting to traditional fighting games.
While He-man could be rushdown fighter.

2. It would be 1 on 1 fighting game similar to Street Fighter or other traditional fighting games.

3. Roster size would be 38 - I don't want to make this roster too large, so I chose 38 as roster number.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Godzilla_Vol_1_23.jpg

Godzilla
Marvel made multiple Godzilla comics and he even met the Avengers.
Dio_hftf.png

Dio
Capcom made heritage for the future, the best Jojo game. Might make sense to go with Jotaro but it's worth noting this is a game a lot of the early Dio memes spawned from

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Marvel and CAPCOM have finally gotten together to do another installment of their iconic crossover fighting game series but, somehow, through a freak circumstance, they lose the rights to the characters they once previously had ownership of, and yet, they have somehow gained the free reign to use every character they've gained the use of through licensed comics or games (barring other comics characters for Marvel and Marvel characters themselves for CAPCOM). It's a ridiculously improbable scenario, but it is the premise of this thread.

So, pretty much, everything from these lists is eligible: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/rubicon/lists/marvels-licensed-titles/58780/ https://capcom.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Licensed_Games

Now, with that established, three things first:

Job #1: Who should the debut "Marvel" and "CAPCOM" characters be? (You're picking one for each)

Job #2: Which game should this installment most play like?

Job #3: How big should the roster be? (Preferably an even number)

Let's go crazy!

To add onto later...

Roster

Stages

Gameplay Modes
Job #01:

On the Marvel side, I'm going to suggest someone a little obscure in the modern age (mostly due to their licensed status), but who was an iconic part of Marvel's library in the late 70s and early 80s. That being...

1659124225770.png

Originally licensed from Parker Brothers and now owned by Hasbro, Rom lends well to a fighting game. Wearing Spaceknight armour, Rom has the power to fly, as well as having incredible strength and durability. He also has a projectile weapon in the form of his Neutraliser. Overall, he'd make a relatively good baseline to work from, even if he'd be a bit heavier than your archetypical shoto.

On the Capcom side, however...

1659124629630.png

I think Jotaro Kujo would be a pretty effective protag on the opposite side. Whilst Heritage for the Future isn't Capcom's biggest licensed title out there, Jotaro's role - being already essentially the protag for JJBA as a whole - would make him an obvious inclusion, and DIO as a second JJBA rep would make sense here too. I came close to having DIO as the "main Capcom character" but I felt a villain wouldn't really represent them so well.

Job #02:
I'm gonna go wild here and suggest a plat-fighter similar to the Smash series. It wouldn't make any sense logically or thematically but this is Smashboards.

Job #03:
I'm going to suggest a round 40 characters (base roster.) 20 characters on either side is a pretty reasonable number without having to make too many sacrifices but also being able to fit a couple of deep cuts, whilst also not being too bloated or difficult to develop.

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
I remember you talking about this idea on your profile page and I'm all for it! This is gonna be a lot of fun!

Job 1:

Marvel: Tarzan

16545-2916-18432-1-tarzan.jpg

Tarzan is literally one of the most iconic characters in fiction. Having numerous adaptations of the tale in books, film, tv, etc., he'd be the perfect oddball fighter to start off the Marvel side. Also, he would be the animal shoto I suppose.

Capcom: Mickey Mouse (Disney)

mickey-mouse-cartoons-2018-4.jpg

He has had numerous licensed games published by Capcom. Thus, an iconic name in pop culture should be added to the Capcom side. He'd be a mage based shoto with sorcerer powers.

Job 2:

I would say gameplay should be akin to MvC2 and MvC3 due to me loving team based fighting games. You can have touch-of-death combos and all that good stuff in it.

Job 3:

I'm gonna agree with KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 and say 40. Sounds about right to me.

AlRex

Smash Lord
I'll do last call for character submissions if anyone else wants to do them. For the other two jobs, I'll put up these two polls.

Roster Number

Gameplay Style

AlRex

Smash Lord
Sorty if this is too late, but can I add 20 as a last second roster number? I feel there isn't much to work with from Capcom specifically
I did already do the polls, I am unsure if I can edit them. That said, off the top of my head, we'd have Spawn, Little Nemo, Alien VS Predator, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, the Namco, SEGA, SNK, and Disgaea crossovers possibly, Barack Obama, the Smurfs, Mr. Bill, the Disney characters they used, Legend of Zelda, the Power Rangers, GI Joe [which applies to both sides, go figure], Dungeons & Dragons, Hanna-Barbera, and anything else already mentioned, so I wouldn't worry about running out too fast.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I have a couple questions about future characters
1. Since tekken characters and snk characters are allowed would characters from any crossover be eligible or does it have to be developed by capcom? And if it does have to be developed by capcom would that make things like the monster hunter crossovers eligible?
2. Do characters have to be in the licensed work for them to be eligible? For example if I wanted to submit some star wars character that was made after the marvel comics run and thus never appeared in them would that be allowed?

AlRex

Smash Lord
I have a couple questions about future characters
1. Since tekken characters and snk characters are allowed would characters from any crossover be eligible or does it have to be developed by capcom? And if it does have to be developed by capcom would that make things like the monster hunter crossovers eligible?
2. Do characters have to be in the licensed work for them to be eligible? For example if I wanted to submit some star wars character that was made after the marvel comics run and thus never appeared in them would that be allowed?
1. I'd say most of the crossovers go, I did mention Power Rangers, which wasn't directly developed by CAPCOM. Though I wouldn't necessarily count Smash for this, as that's too much of a can-of-worms. Link would count, though, since he had CAPCOM developed games, and Sonic would, as well, given the Mega Man crossover comics.
2. Marvel started publishing Star Wars comics again, so maybe most of the prominent Star Wars characters are already under Marvel in this. Haven't thoroughly checked that, though.

AlRex

Smash Lord
Gonna let the other polls sit for a bit more, but here we are with the characters!
"MARVEL"
AlRex AlRex Optimus Prime (Transformers)
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds He-Man (Masters of the Universe)
@Darkonedagger Godzilla
KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 ROM the Space Knight
nirvanafan nirvanafan Darth Vader (Star Wars)
Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Rocko (Rocko’s Modern Life)
Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule Caesar (Planet of the Apes)
Northsouthmap Northsouthmap Indiana Jones
DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 RoboCop
AlteredBeast AlteredBeast Tarzan
Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP The Fourth Doctor (Doctor Who)

"CAPCOM"
AlRex AlRex Scrooge McDuck (DuckTales)
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds Xenomorph (Alien VS Predator)
@Darkonedagger Dio Brando (JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure)
KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 Jotaro Kujo (JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure)
nirvanafan nirvanafan Shantae
Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Stock image guy with a bomb (Trouballs)
Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule Heihachi Mishima (Tekken)
Northsouthmap Northsouthmap Professor Layton
DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 Predator (Alien VS Predator)
AlteredBeast AlteredBeast Mickey Mouse
Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP Aladdin

Vote for three of these each, you can only put your own in second of third. I think for this, two characters will be chosen for each, given how many we've got.

"MARVEL"
1. Godzilla
2. Caesar
3. RoboCop
A lot of good options, my own didn't even make it into my personal voting.

"CAPCOM"
1. Predator
2. Scrooge McDuck
3. Dio Brando
I like Mickey but like Scrooge more still, ultimately.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Gonna let the other polls sit for a bit more, but here we are with the characters!
"MARVEL"
AlRex AlRex Optimus Prime (Transformers)
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds He-Man (Masters of the Universe)
@Darkonedagger Godzilla
KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 ROM the Space Knight
nirvanafan nirvanafan Darth Vader (Star Wars)
Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Rocko (Rocko’s Modern Life)
Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule Caesar (Planet of the Apes)
Northsouthmap Northsouthmap Indiana Jones
DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 RoboCop
AlteredBeast AlteredBeast Tarzan
Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP The Fourth Doctor (Doctor Who)

"CAPCOM"
AlRex AlRex Scrooge McDuck (DuckTales)
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds Xenomorph (Alien VS Predator)
@Darkonedagger Dio Brando (JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure)
KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 Jotaro Kujo (JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure)
nirvanafan nirvanafan Shantae
Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Stock image guy with a bomb (Trouballs)
Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule Heihachi Mishima (Tekken)
Northsouthmap Northsouthmap Professor Layton
DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 Predator (Alien VS Predator)
AlteredBeast AlteredBeast Mickey Mouse
Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP Aladdin

Vote for three of these each, you can only put your own in second of third. I think for this, two characters will be chosen for each, given how many we've got.
(Marvel)
1. Optimus Prime
2. The Fourth Doctor
3. Darth Vader

(Capcom)
1. Predator
2. Scrooge McDuck
3. DIO Brando

AlRex

Smash Lord
I will say for now, that the game will play like MVC2/MVC3 and it will have a base roster of 40 characters, 20 for each side!

Before I finish up the tally for the first two characters on each side, I'll keep it open a bit more. I'll ask Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP to clarify their vote again, but I suppose the Xenomorph does also have Marvel Comics appearances.

AlRex

Smash Lord
Alright, here are the votes for the characters.
“MARVEL”
Godzilla: 17
Caesar: 3
RoboCop: 1
Darth Vader: 15
Optimus Prime: 12
Tarzan: 3
Rocko: 5
The Fourth Doctor: 6
Indiana Jones: 1
ROM: 3
He-Man: 0 :(

“CAPCOM”
Predator: 16
Scrooge McDuck: 10
Dio Brando: 7
Mickey Mouse: 10
Xenomorph: 11
Heihachi: 3
Professor Layton: 3
Shantae: 3
Jotaro Kujo: 2
Aladdin: 2
Trouballs guy: 0 :(

So this means our first two "Marvel" characters are @Darkonedagger 's Godzilla and nirvanafan nirvanafan 's Darth Vader, while our first two "CAPCOM" characters are DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 's Predator and Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds 's Xenomorph, quite coincidentally. I suppose that means both sides of Alien VS Predator are in here, and our starting line-up seems to make it look like the movie fighting game. I suppose the next few character jobs, I'll try to stray away from that a bit, even though I really like a lot of movies/movie characters. Nevertheless, we now can go to our next jobs!

Job #4: Submit stages for these first few characters.
Exactly what it means, where should Godzilla, Darth Vader, the Alien, or the Predator call home?

Job #5: Submit a specific game mechanic for this game.
We know that this game will mostly play like MVC2 and MVC3, with the teams and levelled supers and all, but what will be specific to this game besides that? X-Factor? A gem mechanic? Or something else entirely. This is one I'll immediately throw in a submission for...

I think this game, given its smaller roster, should have the option for "Team Sizes", similar to SkullGirls. You can choose to go with a team of 3, a tag-team, or even a single character going up against a team, though this is most recommended with giant characters like Godzilla, similar to how that functions in Tatsunoko VS CAPCOM. Smaller teams can make up for it a bit with slightly increased health and slightly easier to get meter.

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
Darth Vader Stage: The Emporer's Throne Room

The same room in which the final battle in Return of the Jedi happened

D

Deleted member

E7VempyWQAITxuy.jpg

Monster Island
Takes place in an island with a volcano. Various Kajiu cameo.

Nostromo (Alien)
1659464259421.png
Nostromo is a fictional spaceship from Alien franchise made by Fox and it's used by humans to travel through space (from planet to planet).
It was featured in earlier Alien movies until it got destroyed in 2112.

The stage would take place inside the ship. The cameos are characters from the movie.

This stage could fit Xenomorph, since he invaded this ship in movies while fighting people.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Alright, here are the votes for the characters.
“MARVEL”
Godzilla: 17
Caesar: 3
RoboCop: 1
Darth Vader: 15
Optimus Prime: 12
Tarzan: 3
Rocko: 5
The Fourth Doctor: 6
Indiana Jones: 1
ROM: 3
He-Man: 0 :(

“CAPCOM”
Predator: 16
Scrooge McDuck: 10
Dio Brando: 7
Mickey Mouse: 10
Xenomorph: 11
Heihachi: 3
Professor Layton: 3
Shantae: 3
Jotaro Kujo: 2
Aladdin: 2
Trouballs guy: 0 :(

So this means our first two "Marvel" characters are @Darkonedagger 's Godzilla and nirvanafan nirvanafan 's Darth Vader, while our first two "CAPCOM" characters are DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 's Predator and Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds 's Xenomorph, quite coincidentally. I suppose that means both sides of Alien VS Predator are in here, and our starting line-up seems to make it look like the movie fighting game. I suppose the next few character jobs, I'll try to stray away from that a bit, even though I really like a lot of movies/movie characters. Nevertheless, we now can go to our next jobs!

Job #4: Submit stages for these first few characters.
Exactly what it means, where should Godzilla, Darth Vader, the Alien, or the Predator call home?

Job #5: Submit a specific game mechanic for this game.
We know that this game will mostly play like MVC2 and MVC3, with the teams and levelled supers and all, but what will be specific to this game besides that? X-Factor? A gem mechanic? Or something else entirely. This is one I'll immediately throw in a submission for...

I think this game, given its smaller roster, should have the option for "Team Sizes", similar to SkullGirls. You can choose to go with a team of 3, a tag-team, or even a single character going up against a team, though this is most recommended with giant characters like Godzilla, similar to how that functions in Tatsunoko VS CAPCOM. Smaller teams can make up for it a bit with slightly increased health and slightly easier to get meter.
Job #4:

Stage Name: Depths of Cloud City
Stage Origin: Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

Whilst the Emperor's Throne Room is a pretty solid pick for the role of the main Star Wars stage, I wanted to suggest one that could take notes from the stage design seen in the Injustice series (that being, multiple "arenas" with cinematic transitions between them.) Focused on the latter parts of The Empire Strikes Back, the Star Wars film with the most positive modern reception (despite horrible reception at the time), I think this would be quite fun to see and perhaps experiment with. Seeing famous scenes referenced, such as the freshly frozen Han Solo in his carbonite block, characters like Boba Fett and Chewbacca featuring in the background, and overall would be a fun way to represent the scene as a whole as opposed to just being "another stage." After all, one of Darth Vader's most iconic (and misquoted!) moments occurred here, so it's hardly irrelevant to the character we actually have present... right?

AlRex

Smash Lord
I got a bit off track from this, let's start the vote on the stages, as well as getting to other jobs.
Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP The Emperor's Throne Room (Return of the Jedi)
@Darkonedagger Monster Island (Godzilla)
DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 Yautja Prime (Predator)
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds Nostromo (Alien)
KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 Depths of Cloud City (The Empire Strikes Back)

I'll say, with the small number, we should vote for 2 here.

Myvote
1. Monster Island
2. Depths of Cloud City

As well, we will have...
Job #6: Submit movesets for Darth Vader, Godzilla, the Xenomorph, and/or the Predator.
Keep in mind these are Marvel VS CAPCOM style movesets. You can include the Supers if you want.

Job #7: Submit a gameplay mode besides Arcade Mode or Versus Mode.
These would just be there by default, they're self-explanatory. But what else can there be?

As for Job #5, it has no other submissions beyond my own. Unless anyone decides to submit some now, I might just include the "Team Sizes" thing by default.

Last edited:
1. Depths of Cloud city
2. Nostromo

Job 7:
Story Mode

Story mode is type of gamemode that is present in most games. The mode is about depicting a story or premise (eg. A villain wants to take over the world or save the universe) and it acts similar to existing ones (like inclusion of levels, boss fights, etc.)

The mode could have it's own story and levels (Heck, it could even include bonus stages to make it more fun). You could fight bosses there and more.

I think it could make sense to include the story mode for a crossover game.

Top Bottom